Aug

Welcome!

Welcome to the PC-BSD blog! Here we hope to keep you up-to-date with what’s happening with the PC-BSD operating system and what features are in the works. We also want to hear your comments and feedback so we can find out what is useful and interesting to PC-BSD users and become aware of any pain points or requests for new features.

It’s also my first day of working full time with the PC-BSD community. I have a large laundry list of things that need doing, starting with filling in some documentation gaps. I’d definitely like to hear from you–especially if you have a task to perform in PC-BSD and you can’t find any documentation on how to do it. Or if you are aware of tasks that have changed in 8.x where the documentation has not been updated yet.

We also welcome suggestions on topics you would like to see covered in this blog. So, feel free to leave a comment and to subscribe to this blog. If you can’t find a way to subscribe using your favourite method, leave a comment and we’ll see if we can add it.

Written by dru. Posted in misc

• Will Backman
    August 2, 2010 at 12:57 pm |

First Post!
    Ok, and also a big “good luck” to you Dru. Looking forward to your blog entries.

• August 3, 2010 at 9:12 am |

Thanks, Will. We’ll have to do another talk in a few months as features for 9.0 start to gel.

• Andrew
    August 2, 2010 at 2:40 pm |

Very cool!! Thanks!

• August 3, 2010 at 9:16 am |

Thanks, Andrew!

• finid
    August 2, 2010 at 3:54 pm |

Cool!

• Michael
    August 2, 2010 at 5:17 pm |

Good day,

First of all thanks for the blog.

I’d like to list a few things I’d like to see changed / added to PCBSD.

1) PCBSD needs to be more laptop / netbook friendly in order to attract more users. The computing landscape seems to be shifting towards notebooks / laptops / phones. On my 2 year old Toshiba Satellite, for example, suspend / hibernate don’t work. CPU doesn’t scale. I know this has to do with the FreeBSD, but since FreeBSD developers’ (I’d believe so) are more interested in the server OS functionality where suspend / hibernate don’t matter much.

2) PBIs are great, but in parallel, binary package handling should be on par with Ubuntu (and it is not, especially when updating), in order to catch up (or try to do so) to that operating system.

3) PCBSD should consider supporting non-Intel (prevalently ARM) architectures in order to be considered for ARM-based netbooks / smart phones.

Other than that the FreeBSD core seems much more solid and fun to use (reminds me of my first UNIX experience back 10 yrs ago) than Linux.

Thanks,
    Michael

• mato
      August 12, 2010 at 8:39 am |

I second that.
      PC-BSD is positioned as desktop system and it really has to support save-to-ram / save-to-disk functionality. The same goes for wireless, sound and video devices. If those do not work, people will not even consider PC-BSD. Also, these days video calling is getting more and more important and PC-BSD simply must support USB / built-in web cameras.
      Now I know that all these are about FreeBSD but users don’t care or even know what is behind KDE GUI. And PC-BSD can and should sponsor development of these features if it wants to be considered Ubuntu / Windows replacement.
      For instance, one of the issues in past was USB mass storage device unplugging that would panic the system. Then FreeBSD Foundation (FF) sponsored Tomasz Napierala who fixed this long time issue. PC-BSD should actively talk to FF and prioritise sponsoring of work that matter most for desktop users.
      Anyway, thank you all at PC-BSD for helping move FreeBSD to new users and usage. I am trying to advocate PC-BSD and replace other OSes for my friends (where it makes sense). But there are a few issues (as mentioned above) that need to be sorted out to make PC-BSD a really viable option.

• Mohamed Ifadir
    August 3, 2010 at 2:01 am |

very nice Dru !

• August 3, 2010 at 9:18 am |

Thanks!

• Robert
    August 3, 2010 at 4:32 am |

This is great, Dru. Looking forward to seeing what comes out of this.

There is one area of documentation I’d like to see expanded on and that is setting up dual-boot systems. Specifically, how to install PC-BSD along side other operating systems, such as Windows and Linux. BSD uses different terms (like slices) and has a different style of boot loader. Maybe those topics could be addressed in more detail in the manual?

• Richard
    August 3, 2010 at 11:14 am |

I have not used PC-BSD, but have been following its development with a keen eye to trying it sometime. I am not an expert computer person, but have been slowly migrating from Windows to Linux based distributions over the last few years. I now feel pretty confident with multi-booting and using Linux primarily through a GUI. I got to feeling quite adept and able with the older GNU GRUB, and have a hard time with the newer one, which more distros are now moving to.

What I would find most helpful, is more detail in discussion of what is possible and necessary for including PC-BSD into my pre-existing multi-boot system (on a partiton of its own), such that the boot-loader situation is taken care of, and hopefully not too terribly complicated . When I look at the PC-BSD website under ‘MIGRATE’ it says:

“you may wish to determine if the standard PC-BSD boot-loader
    will be sufficient to boot other operating systems. If not, you may
    wish to use another boot-loader such as GAG.”

So, how exactly do I determine if the standard boot-loader will be sufficient? Also, is GAG the easier way to go? The only other way to go? Are there tutorials, howtos/walk throughs that explain how to use these other bootloaders with PC-BSD?

If I am missing obvious info that is referenced elsewhere, please point. Or if this is too basic. Forgive me. I would love to give the OS a go.

Thanks for the BLOG, and good luck with it.

• August 3, 2010 at 4:20 pm |

freebsdmall​.comfreebsd​.org
      If you can afford it, The Definitive Guide to PC-BSD has a section on alternate boot loaders and provides step by step examples for using Grub versions 1 and 2 and GAG. We’ll also be updating the PC-BSD Users Handbook, but this, of course, will take some time.

In the meantime, the section on bootloaders in the FreeBSD FAQ may be useful.

• Richard
        August 3, 2010 at 8:21 pm |

Thank you dru for taking the time to outline these options.

• August 4, 2010 at 1:18 pm |

Does anyone know why wordpress insists on putting URLs in front of the above reply, even after I delete them?

• August 16, 2010 at 1:37 pm |

Hi all:

I have just finished the PC-BSD 8.1 installation. I had tested it before (other versions) but I missed the lack of support for suspend-to-ram (and hibernation) in my thinkpad (several models in deed) with smp. But now… WOW!, it’s able to suspend-to-ram and resume fine!!! and without disabling SMP!!!! So… well for FreeBSD and very very very well for PC-BSD.

It would be fantastic if hibernation could work (I haven’t tested it yet) but… It’s not as important for me as suspend.

So, what else?, 3G Huawei modem works fine out of the box, thinkpad buttons… I can’t run wine due to the amd64 installation.… I would prefer Gnome instead of KDE, but…

PC-BSD people: keep in the right way!!! and thanks for this fabulous OS!

• August 17, 2010 at 5:10 am |

Great!

There’s a start on a GNOME FAQ here.

• September 8, 2010 at 5:09 am |

Many fun with your blog and blogging. welcome to the bloggosphere :)