Sep

Looking for 3G Modem Testers

How to configure 3G modems comes up fairly frequently in the forums and, most recently, in this mailing list thread.

Since PC-BSD already provides a GUI for PPP/PPPoE configuration in System Settings -> System Network Configuration, it makes sense to add the necessary knobs here so that a user can easily setup their 3G modem. The problem is that the main developer does not have access to such a modem/network. If you use a 3G modem, you can help us add and test the required functionality needed in this GUI.

Leave a comment if you would like to become a 3G modem tester. Also leave a comment if you already know which steps are missing so we can start adding that functionality.

Written by dru. Posted in testers

• […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Dru Lavigne, Manuel Trujillo, Guillermo Amaral, Leopardo *BSD, PC-BSD and others. PC-BSD said: Looking for 3G Modem Testers (PC-BSD/FreeBSD): http://​ht​.ly/​2​A​5fa […]

• jipang_menjerit
    September 6, 2010 at 11:47 am |

is there any requirement to be a tester?
    I might want to join :)

• September 6, 2010 at 11:59 am |

Just access to a 3G modem and the willingness to write up your experience as you’re testing :-)

• kmf
    September 7, 2010 at 2:15 am |

I’ll help
    I have a
    – Huwei E220
    – Huwei E270
    – Dell Wireless 5530 HSPA Internal card

• Lars
    September 7, 2010 at 4:06 am |

Hey Dru,

I have a Huawei E220 USB stick which I occasionally use with FreeBSD in the German Vodafone network. Additionally I also have an internal Ericsson F3507g Mobile Broadband Minicard Modem which also works with FreeBSD.
    So, how to test the app? :)

Lars

• September 7, 2010 at 5:58 am |

Thanks to all who have volunteered to help. I’ll see Kris this weekend at OLF and we’ll discuss when a prototype will be ready to test. I’ll also post the link to the version to test here once it is available so anyone who wishes to test and comment can do so.

• kmf
    September 7, 2010 at 6:27 am |

Dru : can you please enable an option for … email to be send when someone comments.

• September 8, 2010 at 5:39 am |

This option should now work. Thanks for pointing out that it was needed (I assumed WordPress did so by default).

• Lars
    September 7, 2010 at 9:34 pm |

Yeah, I’m likely to forget to look into this blog posting.
    Please send me a mail to lme@F.o if there’s something to test.

• September 8, 2010 at 5:41 am |

Yes, I’ll try to track everyone down when it’s ready for testing. We’ll have access to a modem at OLF so might have a prototype ready by end of this weekend.

• February 1, 2012 at 1:51 am |

linux.comI’m happy to test. What is the current status for 3G modem support?

I have a Huawei E122.
    Country Sweden, Provider: 3, Plan: Bredband Kontantkort
    Number: *99#, APN: net​.tre​.se

I just checked the PC-BSD Network manager and it has a 3G / PPP tab that I don’t understand. (when I tested I think there was 3 devises added and the only thing that worked was to send the 3G PIN)

In Windows there is a software installed from the modem, In Linux the Network manager has Mobile Broadband tab and you can setup the thing just by entering country, provider and plan. Afterwards I can see the number and APN on the connection.

The Ubuntu wiki that I have linked to in this answer has lost of info about it and Mobile Broadband cards:

• suhasish
    February 1, 2012 at 3:02 am |

I am happy to be the part of testing community. I am having ZTE ac8700 usb modem ( CDMA/EVDO) and Its works flawlessly in Windows as well as in Linux. Current PC-BSD kernel recognize the device but network manager do not keeps the device settings in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf and do not connect to internet.

My ISP is BSNL INDIA

• Stone Forest
    May 19, 2013 at 10:16 am |

I have a Huawei E1550.

The lack of MBB dongle support is the only thing preventing me from adopting PC-BSD as my main system. I’m stuck with Ubuntu, meantime.

When I figure it out, I’ll let you know, in KISS English.

• Stone Forest
    May 19, 2013 at 2:39 pm |

Hi Dru,

I’ve just installed 9.1 lite x86 on my Dell Inspiron Mini 1011, & I must say it looks great, as well as being one of the fastest installations I’ve ever seen.

However, my Huawei E1550 is not recognised by the network manager, although it did behave as if it was recognised by the system & appeared to have ‘switched’ (the indicator light changed from green to blue, as on my Ubuntu system).

On my (main) custom Ubuntu Openbox/LXDE machine, I have ‘network-manager’, ‘network-manager-gnome’, ‘nm-applet’, & ‘usb-modeswitch’ installed, none of which are available in the PC-BSD mirror repositories, nor is ‘u3g’, although ‘usb-modeswitch’ is available for 64bit, which the Dell 1011 does not support.

If these packages were to be made available, then I think MBB dongle setup would be straightforward, with perhaps a udev rule needing to be written.

Alas, it seems that I cannot be of much help at present, although I shall continue to scour FreeBSD sites/blogs to seek a solution.

Kind regards