Dec

PC-BSD 8.2-BETA1 Available for Testing

The PC-BSD Team is pleased to announce the availability of PC-BSD 8.2-BETA1 which is running FreeBSD 8.2-PreRELEASE, Xorg 7.5, and KDE 4.5.4

Version 8.2 contains a number of enhancements and improvements. For a full list of changes, please refer to the changelog . Some of the notable changes are:

* FreeBSD 8.2-PreRelease
* KDE 4.5.4
* Added ability to select filesystem type and to encrypt partitions during installation
* Numerous fixes and improvements to Network Manager, including 3G support and ability to enable/disable the lagg interface

Version 8.2-BETA1 of PC-BSD is available for download from our mirrors. Everyone is encouraged to test this beta and to report any bugs to the testing mailing list. Instructions for beta testers can be found in the PC-BSD Handbook.

Written by dru. Posted in testers

• […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by suffys 【ツ】. suffys 【ツ】 said: RT @PCBSD: PC-BSD 8.2-BETA1 Available for Testing http://​ht​.ly/​3​s​cmF […]

• JShuford
    December 21, 2010 at 2:03 am |

I would be happy to UL VM’s of both flavors (x86/x64) if it would help. Please let me know.

• December 22, 2010 at 7:07 am |

It would be great to get some more recent VMs uploaded to http://​virtualboximages​.com as they only have PC-BSD 1.5-x86. If you do so, post the links so we can help spread the word.

• JShuford
        December 22, 2010 at 7:17 am |

My VM library consists of VMware VM’s… is that ok?

• December 22, 2010 at 7:52 am |

Are you aware of any sites that host VM images? A quick Google search didn’t show a VM equivalent of virtualboximages​.com, but I may have missed something obvious.

• JShuford
            December 22, 2010 at 8:27 am |
            • December 22, 2010 at 8:48 am |

I wasn’t sure if uploads were allowed there, if so please go for it as the only image they have is over 4 years old.

• JShuford
                December 23, 2010 at 5:23 am |

Please forgive me for the delay. It seems that my account with VMware is limited to in-house work only. I am working on a decent place to upload my “VM”. I will get back to you.

• JShuford
                  December 26, 2010 at 4:24 pm |

Unfortunately I cannot post the VM right now… Apparently 11.5Gb is too much! I can tell you this however; 8.2 BETA 1 is running flawlessly for me in my current configuration (as a VM)! Even TOR is running smoothly! As usual the tools continue to suck! Thank you for your work!

• JShuford
    December 22, 2010 at 8:28 am |
    • December 22, 2010 at 8:49 am |

Thanks for the link!

• mato
    December 27, 2010 at 2:37 am |

hallo. some comments on trying it in virtualbox (3.2.12):
    – virtualbox defaults (freebsd option), 20gb hdd (sata), 256mb ram.
    – installation froze after change to GUI. i had to use vesa mode.
    – “system hostname” / “custom hostname” is not very informative for users.
    256 mb ram is not enough, it fails after step 3 with not enough swap space. changed to 512 mb. fix release notes (?)
    – “encrypt usr partition” — is that really for zfs only ? because tooltip says so.
    – “disk” screen contains unnecessary options (read complications) that may be better hidden from common users (access via advance option/button (?)).
    – is having partitions for usr/var really useful ? for common user it’s just wastage of disk space and they may be wondering where is all the space gone right after installation. one big partition (+ swap) feels better approach and it used to be default in pc-bsd in past.
    – “csh considered harmful” and we should not make it default for users (except root). perhaps bash is better due to its wide adaption. advanced users can change it easily. and maybe we should add ksh and zsh too (as mac os x does).
    – btw, the other day i was trying to fix something with help of pc-bsd live mode and having mc (midnight commander) would help.
    – btw, i noticed different behaviour in live mode — accessing ntfs mounted it via mount_ntfs (read only) and not via fuse (read-write). so i had to use command line that most users would not even know about.
    cheers!

• mato
      January 16, 2011 at 11:05 am |

i wonder whether my efforts and observations were useful .. or not ? :-)

• Skull Fire
    December 28, 2010 at 8:57 pm |

I was curious if the beta release can be upgraded to the official release when it becomes available through the update manager or would installing from a new iso be needed ?

• December 29, 2010 at 5:31 am |

The current upgrade path is to upgrade from the installer i.e. download the new ISO and select the upgrade option.

There has been some discussion about the feasability of providing binary snapshot upgrades through Software Manager. This could be easily done for the OS itself but the difficult part is providing the upgrade for the desktop environment. Designing this requires more thought and I wouldn’t expect it to become a viable upgrade option before 9.1.

• John
    December 30, 2010 at 3:49 am |

I see that the RC is available for FreeBSD 8.2. I know it was just done on the 27th but wondering when it will be included in the beta.

• January 3, 2011 at 11:21 am |

Yes. It is currently being built and we hope to be able to release by end of this week.

• JShuford
      January 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm |

… sorry to bother you, but I was wondering where the RC was available at?

• January 6, 2011 at 4:47 pm |

Not out yet. We’ll post an entry in the blog once it’s available.