Jan

PC-BSD 8.2-RC1 Available for Testing

The PC-BSD Team is pleased to announce the availability of the first Release Candidate for PC-BSD 8.2.

Version 8.2-RC1 contains a number of enhancements, improvements, and bug fixes in response to previous 8.2 testing snapshots. Some of the notable changes are:

* Updated to FreeBSD 8.2-RC1
* Fixed issue detecting the proper video card driver
* Fixed some crashes when adding new users / groups
* Added /sbin/nologin as a shell choice in the user manager
* Let created users have a homedir of /nonexistant via the GUI
* Fix customizing desktop languages when using a () in the description

Version 8.2-RC1 of PC-BSD is available for download from our mirrors. Everyone is encouraged to test this beta and to report any bugs to the testing mailing list. Instructions for beta testers can be found in the PC-BSD Handbook.

Written by dru. Posted in testers

• […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Dru Lavigne and others. Dru Lavigne said: PC-BSD 8.2-RC1 Available for Testing: http://​ht​.ly/​3​B​cCQ […]

• JShuford
    January 10, 2011 at 8:46 am |

• John
    January 10, 2011 at 9:33 pm |

It is a shame that KDE 4.5.5 was not out when this was built. I am installing it now at home but do not have this installed yet. I will probably start from scratch in the morning and then do the portupgrade when done. One thing that I noticed using this is that it takes forever to update the system as a lot of the updates you have many options it wants you to select. That is not with your system though but the way FreeBSD does things.

• January 11, 2011 at 5:38 am |

You might prefer “portmaster –a” to portupgrade then as it prompts for all of the config options before starting the upgrade.

• John
        January 11, 2011 at 5:41 am |

You are right I would enjoy this so much more. I am not used to the BSD way of doing things any more. I never did use that command any ways but will use it from now on. One of the pains of portupgrade is it can upgrade quite a bit and then get stuck every so often waiting on a response so happy there is a way around it and thank you for pointing this out to me.

• John
    January 12, 2011 at 4:46 am |

I do not know if others are having this issue but I am unable to get the USB image to work. I have used win32diskimager for this but it gives an error check of uzip filesystem failed. This is on the 64 bit usb image for both the RC and the Beta version. It works great for the 32 bit version though. I just thought you should know. I did not try out the USB image of this though since I had burned it to dvd and used that to install but wanted to use my thumb drive this time.

• Byron Drossos
    January 14, 2011 at 4:25 am |

Will the features included in 8.2 also be in 9.0 or are they developed independently?

• January 14, 2011 at 5:36 am |

They’ll be included as new releases add features (i.e. we don’t lose features).