9-CURRENT-20110225 Snapshot Available for Testing

Kris has just announced the availability of the latest snapshot:

With the 8.2 release finished, now our attention will be turning to the 9-CURRENT branch, and what will eventually become 9.0. I’ve just finished uploading the latest snapshot of 9, which is available from our FTP site.

This release contains a lot of changes from the previous snapshot, including some changes to how the installation of meta-pkgs is shown, a redesign of the Software Browser for browsing PBI repositories, and more.

In regard to the Software Browser, it has now been renamed the “AppCafe”, and it should be functional for browsing and installing some of the PBIs we’ve uploaded for testing, such as firefox, thunderbird, openoffice, etc.

In the upcoming days I will also be working on the import of a new PC-BSD Control Panel.

As usual, please give this snapshot a whirl, and report any bugs and issues to the testing mailing list.

Written by dru. Posted in 9.0, testers

• PC-BSD: 9-CURRENT-20110225 Snapshot disponible para pruebas | Gustavo Pimentel's GNU/Linux Blog
    February 26, 2011 at 10:08 am |

[…] Moore acaba de anunciar la puesta en disposici├│n de la ├║ltima […]

• John
    March 9, 2011 at 6:17 am |

For the control panel will we get this as an update or will we have to wait for another release of version 9 to get this? I guess if it will come with another release then I will just wait for it. At work I use a proxy for faster access but your ftp site will not allow this. Some do and some do not but it would be nice if you did accept this.

• March 11, 2011 at 8:43 am |

Since PC-BSD team is working on a new PBI format, I would like to see delta PBIs also coming to PC-BSD, making it simple to upgrade the packages.

• March 14, 2011 at 7:13 am |

Delta PBIs are definitely part of the new PBI format :-) As an example, Kris tested the Firefox PBI and the delta update was only 8 MB, representing a 95% reduction in size from the original PBI.

• Pedro F Fajardo
    March 12, 2011 at 1:00 pm |

I’ve tried this snapshot on both Lenovo T61p and HP XW8400 workstation and I get a blank screen after KDE starts on the live image. I have to press the power button to turn computer off.

• March 14, 2011 at 7:06 am |

The issue may be related to this thread on testing: http://lists.pcbsd.org/pipermail/testing/2011-March/005063.html. Does it boot if you select VESA mode?

• Pedro F Fajardo
        March 14, 2011 at 4:09 pm |

I will try again but my computers both have a Nvidia graphic card installed.
        Thanks for your reply.

• March 14, 2011 at 4:26 pm |

That’s interesting… Yes, let us know. Also, the next snapshot is due out in the next day or so.