May

Latest 9 Snapshot Includes Control Panel and MythTV Improvements

Kris has just announced that the next testing snapshot is available. Some of the changes will be of interest to MythTV and multiple window manager users:

The next snapshot for PC-BSD 9-CURRENT is now available for download.

Snapshot instructions and general information on providing testing feedback are available here.

This snapshot includes the following changes:

• Update to Control-panel allows it to detect the current window manager and display the configuration tools provided by that desktop environment. Included is a CLI de-info script to get current desktop as well as a list of all installed desktop environments. Thanks to Yuri Momotiuk for this cool feature.
  • Added several new MythTV plugins and related ports as well as an icon for MythTV initial setup. We’re looking for MythTV users to test these changes and help with documenting MythTV usage in the Handbook.
  • Fixed some typos in pbi-manager man pages.
  • Corrected some incorrect wallpaper re-sizing on the installer.
  • Updated nvidia driver to 270.41.06 which adds support for several GPUs.
  • Fixed nvidia driver not loading kernel module at boot.
  • Allow user mounting of mmcsd(4) MMC and SD memory cards.
  • Added uhidd (USB human interface devices) to the base-system.
  • Fixes to the network manager for setting up IPv6 gateway / DNS.
  • Fixed bugs in the System Manager checking out ports / system source.
  • Added patch for pc-sysinstall which improves wiping backup GPT partition tables.
  • Fixed issue with optional components, source / ports not being installed from DVD
  • Updated the default beastie.4th boot-splash menu to boot quicker, and more easily halt the countdown

Written by dru. Posted in 9.0, hardware, new features, testers

• Anonymous Coward
    May 5, 2011 at 12:48 am |

Is there any news about Intel graphics on new Sandy Bridge platform? I have new Thinkpad T520 and burning to try any *bsd-flavor…

• May 5, 2011 at 7:25 am |

It should install, however you won’t be able to get hardware accelerated graphics with the integrated GPU until KMS is ready for testing which should be some time this summer.

• Anders
    May 5, 2011 at 2:35 pm |

Are there any news regarding the ability of installing PC-BSD on a Mac, regarding the GPT/EFI problem? In a previous snapshot I decided to erase my mac, reformat the disk with MBR and install PC-BSD. Two problems came up: no bootloader was installed (and the PC-BSD bootloader didn’t work, which meant I had to install freebsd and then “upgrade” to PC-BSD. The second problem was that the bwn (wireless Ethernet) driver was incompatible and halted . Unloading that kernel module resulted in a medium not present error. Is there a solution to the GPT problem, so that Mac users can install PC-BSD without wiping out the system, since Mac OS only can be installed on volumes with GPT partitions?

• George
      May 8, 2011 at 12:40 pm |

I have seen a forum topic dealing with this question the other day, which I cannot find quickly right now. If I just could add to this, Macs use GPT with the protective MBR. Actually this goes even further as the protective MBR is not just one 0xEE entry, but a “mirror” of the GPT table — of the first 4 entries of the GPT table of course (1st entry being the 0xEE). This is what they would call “hybrid” partitioning scheme.
      GPT-aware systems (OSX, PartedMagics Gparted) see the GPT table, the “legacy” OSes (booted via EFI CSM “Windows” entries, e.g. XP, Win7-32bit, Linux) see the MBR table and use it to boot active partition.
      All you need is to make sure that both the tables stay in sync. Editing one table without the other would introduce PITA, if not data-loss.
      So if you want to edit Mac’s parititions, either use Mac’s Disk utility, which handles both at the same time, or use Gparted (which handles GPT, but wipes MBR on change commit) together with gptsync tool (which updates the MBR accordingly). To sum up, always edit the GPT table, as that is the primary thing. You can always sync the changes to the MBR part later, if your partitioning tool hadn’t done so already.

Sorry for the long intro, but I just wanted to clear things up, before saying that I think there is a mistake/bug in the pcbsd sysinstaller. It somehow cannot decide which table it is going to work with. It rather displays the GPT entries if any (p1,p2, etc) instead of their “MBR counterparts”. Furthermore, if there is any unpartitioned space, it displays it as MBR (s4).
      Now pcsysinstaller insists on installing to MBR partitions only, therefore preventing installation on my mac, unless I wipe the HDD completely I assume (have not tried).

One more thing worth mentioning I heard is that the CSM must kick in for GPU Bios to initialize, otherwise no acceleration in Xorg. The CSM of course kicks in only if 1. EFI detects the presence of hybrid MBR (with more than just one 0xEE, out of which one is marked active) and 2. user selects “Windows” item in the EFI menu. That’s why elilo is not commonly used to boot Linux on macs.

If you could force the pcsysinstaller to display the MBR entries (or give a choice) and install PCBSD on the pre-prepared partition that would be cool. I use gparted and gptsync, here is output of gptsyncs other tool called “showpart”: http://​pastebin​.com/​82​a​E​B​abB

George

• May 11, 2011 at 6:02 am |

I am looking into this issue. I know its a bit funky, because the “gpart show ad0” command shows the GPT partitions, but not the protected MBR that OSX sets up. I’ll try to get some sort of work around soon, so at minimum it’ll show all the partitions correctly, and let you just select the MBR one.

• May 12, 2011 at 7:03 am |

I’ve just committed an experimental patch which may fix the detection of the OSX MBR partition in the installer now. When the next snapshot gets rolled could you test this out?

• Anders
            May 22, 2011 at 11:41 am |

Yes, I’ll test it out when the next snapshot gets rolled out.

• Anders
              May 28, 2011 at 2:37 pm |

I’ve just downloaded the newest ipv6 snapshot of PC-BSD9, created a boot camp partition formatted as FAT32 (150 GB), burned the new snapshot to a DVD RW disc and ran the installer. When I got to the “Select the slice you wish to install to, or check ‘Use Entire Disk’”, the following list of slices appeared:
              ada0p1: 200MB efi
              ada0p2: 322432MB apple-hfs
              ada0p3: 154179MB linux-data

Running uname –a from an xterm results: “FreeBSD pcbsd 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #0: Mon May 23rd 16:10:12 PDT 2011 root@build9x64.pcbsd.org:/usr/obj/pcbsd-build90/fbsd-source/9.0/sys/PCBSD-NOINET amd64

Selecting either one of them and then clicking “next” still results in the “Can only be installed directly to an MBR partition” message. The same thing happened when I ckecked “Partition with GPT for full disk install”

I’ve tried getting a snapsot of FreeBSD9 running (FreeBSD 9 can be installed into a GPT partition with “bsdinstall”), but I’ve not been able to boot that OS after install.

• June 3, 2011 at 7:14 am |

Currently PC-BSD can only dual-boot when using MBR partitions. GPT mode is only when using the entire disk for BSD.

• October 18, 2011 at 2:33 pm |

Some code to address this was created during EuroBSDCon and we hope to have it available for testing in either RC1 or RC2.