Jun

pc-sysinstall article in June Issue of BSD Mag

Kris has written an article “Installing FreeBSD with pc-sysinstall” which has been published on pages 2628 in the June issue of BSD Mag. You can download that issue for free from here. From the introduction:

Several months ago, the PC-SYSINSTALL system (the installer for PC-BSD 8.0 and higher) was merged into FreeBSD CURRENT, in preparation for FreeBSD 9.0. This installer is primarily a backend, but it can also be used stand-alone for multiple scripted or single installations of FreeBSD. In this article we will take a look at how to use PC-SYSINSTALL, as well as various configuration options to take advantage of FreeBSD features which currently cannot be used via the default installer.

Written by dru. Posted in 9.0, presentations

• June 2, 2011 at 6:58 am |

Why why do they need my email :(

• ams
    June 2, 2011 at 6:15 pm |

Maybe they’re starting a credit card company? I agree, BSD isn’t the most well known as it sits. Why push people away. I love my FreeBSD, but I won’t give them my email.

• June 3, 2011 at 5:29 am |

I guess we’ve been called to the table here.

You don’t have to worry about your email adress — we need it for our own newsletter. We do not give it away to anyone, and you can always unsubscribe if you decide for it.
    We use the base to inform about new issues and news/events from BSD world.

If you are not convinced that your email would be safe, you can create another and download the magazine with that one as a “test”.
    Alternative would be to buy printed copy from freebsd mall ;). They should have it available soon.

Seriously though — such combinations are really unnecessary.
    I hope that you will decide to give it a go and enjoy it :)

Best,
    Z

• ams
    June 3, 2011 at 10:49 pm |

…and now I have to unsubscribe? Do people believe their literature so unreadable that you must opt out instead of in?

Please, do me (us all?) a favor and just post the the magazine, or even just the story. The number of email addresses you collect is not an indication of readership, just a known maximum.

• NaX
    June 6, 2011 at 4:41 am |

I have subscribed and downloaded the mag every issue and I don’t see a problem here.

Most blogs require that you provide an email address to comment, why should BSDMag downloads be any different.

The only thing that I would say is that it was a little confusing the first time it come up asking for my email address, I cant remember if this has been improved since.

What I really want and I think is the true future of publications like BSDMag is a Kindle subscription, but then I would also expect the publication to be Kindle friendly not just the PDF version converted into the Kindle format.

• win2linconvert
    June 10, 2011 at 12:15 am |

I subscribed months ago and haven’t had any problems. I mean really… if you’re that concerned, just create a dummy e-mail account (I did not.) and subscribe with that so you can get their hard work for free.

• Anon
    November 8, 2011 at 1:25 am |

Publish a prominent unsubscribe function on the newsletter page, it will go a long way to increasing your subscriber count.