Aug

Release Announcement: PC-BSD 9.0-BETA1

The PC-BSD team is pleased to announce the availability of the first beta release in the new 9.x series. 9.0-BETA1 is now available for download from the website or ftp server.

Caution

This is a BETA release, for early adopters and testers. Please use caution deploying in production environments. Additionally only a small number of apps are currently packaged and available in the new AppCafe. We will be releasing more in the upcoming weeks, but users who rely on a particular application may wish to wait until 9.0-Release before upgrading.

Major Changes

* Now supports multiple Window Managers, such as:
— KDE 4
— GNOME 2
— XFCE 4
— LXDE
— And many more!
* Support for “meta-pkgs”, allowing the user to customize their installed system with a variety of software.
* Improved PBI system, allows sharing of files / libraries between applications for reduced disk / runtime space.
* New AppCafe, allow easy browsing, installing and managing Applications
* Updated to the installer, allowing easy setup of ZFS, GELI encryption and more!
* Many improvements to networking setup GUIs
* New system-update utility, support for “freebsd-update” and upgrading from point-release to point-release. (I.E. 9.0 -> 9.1)
* Revamped “Life-Preserver” backup utility, makes it easier than ever to backup to FreeNAS or any remote ssh+rsync server.
* New PC-BSD Control Panel, provides one-stop access to a variety of system-configuration options.

Reporting Bugs

Since this is a beta release, please feel assist us by reporting and fixing bugs. Users are encouraged to discuss their findings on the testers mailing list, or via the PC-BSD Forums.

Notes

There are a greater variety of ways to install PC-BSD in the 9.x series. Please take a moment and refer to the snapshot documentation to pick the right one for you. When providing feedback please indicate which snapshot you are using and in which window manager the error occurs.

Written by dru. Posted in 9.0, testers

• Ben Milman
    August 1, 2011 at 3:13 pm |

Awesome! Congrats and thanks for the release!

• Marko Đorđević
    August 1, 2011 at 11:44 pm |

Nice!
    Go,go , PC-BSD!

• jshuford
    August 2, 2011 at 1:23 am |

• Anthony
    August 2, 2011 at 4:00 am |

Sounds great, thank you!

• […] началось тестирование десктоп-ориентированной операционной […]

• sergeant
    August 2, 2011 at 4:40 am |

It’s a pity that it doesn’t have KDE SC 4.7
    Are there any plans to release an update with the latest and greatest KDE?

• August 2, 2011 at 4:50 am |

As soon as it hits ports. PC-BSD builds are always based on the latest ports.

• PC-BSD 9.0-BETA1 | Gustavo Pimentel's GNU/Linux Blog
    August 2, 2011 at 4:42 am |

[…] equipo de PC-BSD ha anunciado la disponibilidad de la primera versión beta de la nueva serie […]

• PC-BSD 9.0 Beta1 Released | TurboLinux Blog
    August 2, 2011 at 4:53 am |

[…] PC-BSD 9.0 Beta1 has been released. […]

• August 2, 2011 at 5:32 am |

[…] Re: Pc-bsd 8.0 guenas Release Announcement: PC-BSD 9.0-BETA1 | Official PC-BSD Blog […]

• Ben
    August 2, 2011 at 6:41 am |

Will the update tool support upgrading Beta1 to Beta2 as well as 9.0 to 9.1?

• August 2, 2011 at 6:48 am |

In theory, yes. Keep in mind that this is a new tool that needs testing, so backup your data first and definitely let the testing mailing list know if you discover a glitch.

• Вышла первая бета-версия FreeBSD 9.0 и PC-BSD 9.0
    August 2, 2011 at 2:33 pm |

[…] началось тестирование десктоп-ориентированной операционной […]

• Giberling
    August 2, 2011 at 3:14 pm |

thank you for this wonderful os.

greets from serbia:)

• Brian Masinick
    August 2, 2011 at 5:02 pm |

Nice to see this; I will give PC-BSD a look and comment as needed. Thanks!

• […] PC-BSD project closely follows the FreeBSD release schedule, PC-BSD 9.0 BETA1 is available too: Release Announcement: PC-BSD 9.0-BETA1. The PC-BSD team is pleased to announce the availability of the first beta release in the new9.x […]

• Silvio Arnone
    August 3, 2011 at 12:15 pm |

Great news :) I am really in love with PC-BSD, it has a special partition reserved on my machine; I am writing to you from 8.2 (it’s the number correct ? Wishing to say the last stable release).
    I am sad just about an issue: webcam does not working a too (only Kopete test works).
    Please, strongly I hope you will work to get the webcam working with Skype (for example).
    I apologize for my not fluent English language.
    Best Wishes :)

• August 3, 2011 at 12:17 pm |

Webcam/skype doesn’t work in 8.2 or 9.0? It should work in 9.0.

• Silvio Arnone
    August 3, 2011 at 12:38 pm |

Ciao Dru,
    Thank you for your kind and quick reply :)
    About Skype I will try it when the release number 9 will be avalaible. After that, I forgot an other issue: my printer HP Officejet 6500 showing the work as done, but nothing comes out; I have been writing about it on the Forum (user Bourbon), without getting the solution.
    Even using “CUPS” nothing changes.
    I am waiting for the stable release because I am not smart enough to manage the beta release.

• Silvio Arnone
    August 3, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
    • August 3, 2011 at 1:00 pm |

Thanks. However 8.2 is known not to work with webcam/skype as that functionality was only added into FreeBSD ports a month or so ago. If someone gets a chance to test on 9.0, please let us know what luck you have with it so we can update the docs for the 9.0 Guide.

• larrylamsy
    August 4, 2011 at 12:08 am |

Great works. Thanks.

• August 4, 2011 at 8:11 am |

Congratulations!

Does the beta disk have both live mode and the installer?

Does it have a relatively complete set of applications? (i.e. most of the apps available under 8.2?)

I’ve been using 9.0 snapshots for a couple of months and have been surprised at how stable they have been.

Request: add Firefox to the installed apps for live mode in future releases. Quite a few websites don’t support Konqueror.

• August 4, 2011 at 10:48 am |

[…] from trying something called “Isotope”? Reason number two concerns some of the amazing new features of the product: wide choice of desktop environments and easy configuration of the advanced ZFS file […]

• Derick Thomas
    August 5, 2011 at 10:37 pm |

I downloaded 32 bit USB live. First impressions:
    – USB boot is very slow
    – Logout does not work, neither does reboot.
    – Intel 3945 Wifi does not work out of the box
    – AppCafe fails to start
    – Flash does not work out of the box in Konqueror

My system config:

• August 12, 2011 at 6:27 am |

Thanks for your feedback.

For logout/reboot, did you confirm? By default, KDE requires you to do this.

The wpi driver should auto-load in the next beta. IIRC, flash should be fixed for Konqueror in next beta as well.

Did you get an error with appcafe? What happens if you type appcafe at the command line?

• romas
    August 7, 2011 at 12:59 pm |

thanks. bsd is good:)

• carebearboy
    August 9, 2011 at 5:45 pm |

My first impression is WOW! You can tell that alot of work went into this.

I usually use Linux and I think I’ve used most of the distro’s out there, and now I thought I’d give BSD a try. Mostly because I just wanted to learn something new. The documentation is the best I’ve seen, even rivaling Arch’s docs. I’m not the most computer bright guy, but I’ve been able to learn the Unix basics very easily becasuse for the first time it was actually explained to me in a way I could understand.

The install went smooth. Was slow, about 30 min, but I installed TONS of stuff to push this to it’s limit. This install gets it right. What was right? My touchpad tap feature works. Option to install Nvidia in installer went perfect; correct screen resolution. No akondi error, and no bad user permission. The only thing that came up an error was the sound card, but it was just reverting to the default, then worked fine all by itself. All that it needed was to be ‘pointed’ to the correct device, and that is easily accomplished by KDE System Settings. I’ll be filing a bug with the info. It’s an easy fix.

I’m really liking the option to have your own splash screen. Now we’re talking!! That’s unique as far as I know, and I bet a person could impress friends with it.

If you are not experienced you might wanna wait until the full version comes out. And please, please ‘read the handbook.’ It’s on the desktop and looks like they’ve spent alot of time on it; 184 pages, though you don’t need to read it all. It’s mostly extra info, includes pictures, and examples… Well done!

Just a tip, I chose encryption and when the computer booted after the install it just ‘seems’ to crash. It asks for your password but then another device loads up causing more splash and you don’t see the password prompt, even though you could still just enter it in. I actually thought my system was having a kernel panic but then realised after looking at the messages carefully it was asking for my password a few lines up. Works fine but got me worried at first.

Anyways, loving the new distro and am excited for 9.0 full release.

Thanks for all the hard work, it is appreciated,

and long live BSD!! :)

• August 11, 2011 at 2:07 pm |

Glad you liked it! Thanks for the feedback regarding the encryption password.

• August 12, 2011 at 12:27 pm |

Further note about password: looks like this is a known FreeBSD issue which requires a rewrite of syscons. Right now USB messages and other things just write over the top of the prompt, which is part of the current design.

• Mushroom Cloud
    August 12, 2011 at 12:48 am |

Installer in Virtualbox freezes at 25% for me. I switched to console, It was full of “no inodes free” error

• Rilis PC-BSD 9.0-BETA1 | LinuxBox.Web.ID
    August 13, 2011 at 2:02 am |

[…] to the installer, allowing easy setup of ZFS, GELI encryption and more….Anda dapat membaca pengumuman rilis untuk informasi lebih detail mengenai rilis ini dan informasi pelaporan […]

• Versão Beta para FreeBSD 9.0 e PC-BSD 9.0 | Blog do SCarniel
    August 15, 2011 at 7:47 pm |
  • Versão Beta para FreeBSD 9.0 e PC-BSD 9.0 | Blog do SCarniel
    August 15, 2011 at 7:48 pm |
  • […] Mitteilung zur Beta-Version (Quelle) […]

•   PC-BSD 9.0-BETA1 – development release | yoursite
    September 15, 2011 at 2:36 am |

[…] installer, allowing easy setup of ZFS, GELI encryption and more….“  See the release announcement for further details and information about […]

•   PC-BSD 9.0-BETA1 – development release | free download
    September 16, 2011 at 11:55 pm |

• August 27, 2013 at 3:40 pm |

[…] olanak saglandigini söyledi. PC-BSD 9.0-BETA1 hakkinda ayrintili bilgi edinmek için sürüm duyurusunu […]

• […] panel kontrolny który ułatwia konfigurację systemu oraz wiele innych zmian dostępnych pod TYM linkiem. System jest dostępny w wersji 32 jak i 64 bitowej (jako obraz ISO do nagrania na płytę […]

• November 5, 2014 at 11:02 am |

[…] Lavigne ogłosiła wydanie systemu PC-BSD 9.0-BETA1, który to opiera się na FreeBSD 9.0-BETA1. System ten został przygotowany tak, aby jak najlepiej […]