Sep

PC-BSD on FLOSS Weekly

Episode 182 of FLOSS Weekly is now online. In this episode, Aaron Newcomb and Randi Harper interview Kris Moore and discuss everything PC-BSD.

Written by dru. Posted in interview

• September 21, 2011 at 12:19 pm |

[…] PC-BSD Interview on FLOSS Weekly Posted on September 21, 2011 by Gerard In Episode 182 of FLOSS Weekly, Aaron Newcomb and Randi Harper interview Kris Moore and discuss everything relating to PC-BSD. (via) […]

• mike4ca
    September 22, 2011 at 10:08 am |

I am a regular FLOSS weekly listener. I actually watched this one. It was nice to see how much energy and enthusiasm Kris has for this project. Written interviews have a hard time portraying the enthusiasm. Keep up the good work Kris and the rest of the PC-BSD team!

• zenny
    September 30, 2011 at 8:21 am |

thehumanape.org***Kris:

A wonderful interview. Your positive attitude is admirable. Keep your spirit up.

I am waiting for 9.0 release (at least 9-Current-Beta 3).

BTW, I am searching for to install the pcbsd desktop on nanobsd on a flash drive with the entire data and root in zfs in HDDs. Do you have any inputs in this connection?

zenny

***support http://​www​.thehumanape​.org***

• Kris Moore
      September 30, 2011 at 9:06 am |

We don’t have any nanobsd images, however you can install to a single ZFS root partition, during the installation select “Advanced” disk partitioning, then create a single ZFS partition for / and you’ll be good to go.

• zenny
        September 30, 2011 at 10:49 am |

Kris:

That I know that pcbbsd is freebsd and / in zfs as default installation is possible.

I can compile nanobsd on my own, but is there a peculiar way to port the pc-bsd gui packages (including xserver) to nanobsd images when compiling?

Just could not find that info anywhere.

• Kris Moore
          October 1, 2011 at 9:43 am |

Honestly I’ve never tried porting it to nanobsd, or heard of anybody who has :) You are welcome to grab all our code out of SVN and compile it, they are mostly shell / QT4, so as long as you can compile / run those then most utilities should work.

• Dalek
    September 30, 2011 at 6:40 pm |

I downloaded PC-BSD a long time ago, but could not get it installed. After hearing the enthusiastic interview on FLOSS Weekly, I decided to come back and give it another shot. Downloading it as we speak and can’t wait to play with it! :)

• October 2, 2011 at 9:30 am |

Let us know what luck you have with it this time.

• Dave
    September 30, 2011 at 11:50 pm |

Great interview. PC-BSD works great in VirtualBox on Linux Mint host. I just wish wifi and mobile broadband worked easier so I could really use it. The RTFM attitude on the forums, hasn’t helped either. Oh well, maybe in PC-BSD 10 or 11, wifi and mobile broadband access will be as effortless as it is Linux distro’s.

• October 4, 2011 at 5:56 am |

We’re hoping for improved wireless support as well :-)

• zenny
    October 1, 2011 at 1:14 am |

PC-BSD is as easy as any linux distro. I am following it since it was first launched in 2005. Recently, I installed it on a toshiba laptop which I use as a development platform and to create nanobsd images. Works seemlessly (yes, there are some tweaks that I had to perform to install i3-wm (a lightweigt floating/tiling window manager).

The only thing I feel it lacking is downsizing the distro to boot from a CF just like nanobsd. Generally I am thinking of booting with nanobsd image and then add the bells and whistles and X from the PC-BSD repository on separate zfs / on separate HDDs. The purpose is to split the boot image from the all other changeable variables, X applications and data.

However, Kris can more elaborate on the subject as well as on the “no CIFS and iSCSI” comment here (http://​en​.wikipedia​.org/​w​i​k​i​/​Z​F​S​#​C​o​m​p​a​r​i​s​ons).