PC-BSD 9.0-RC3 Now Available
The third (and hopefully last) release candidate for the upcoming PC-BSD 9.0 is now available! This release includes the latest FreeBSD 9.0-RC3 base, along with numerous bug fixes and enhancements.
This is the first release available as both pre-built VirtualBox and VMware images. Each image includes the various guest tools pre-installed, ready for booting in the virtual environment of your choice.
This release also includes a new graphical boot-loader for fresh installations. Users performing an upgrade from RC2 -> RC3 can enable the new bootloader by placing the following lines in /boot/loader.conf:
# Enable the graphical boot-loader
Notable changes in this release (in no particular order):
- Fixed the default KDE wallpaper / desktop theme
- Add option to skip performing system upgrades at bootup, in case the user doesn’t have the time to wait.
- Fix bug starting the port jail from rc.d
- Make sure we clear any KDE cache during upgrade
- Fixed bugs installing some PBIs from AppCafe causing seg faults
- Load ext2fs automatically
- Default LXDE clock to AM/PM time
- Add default openbox wallpaper / menus
- Load the “iir” raid driver on install media
- Add extra meta-pkg for VMware guest support
- Reduce CPU usage while checking for system updates on the tray
- Add new graphical boot loader enabled by default
- Updated the handbook for 9.0
- Speed up the download process of system upgrades
- Add patch for GDM which corrects issues with auto-login
- Created new VirtualBox / VMware images for download
The system sources / ports tree don’t show up during the component selection, will be fixed for the final.
The firewall manager incorrectly reads the /etc/pf.conf file, will be fixed in the final.
The default QT theme doesn’t always match the rest of the desktops, will be fixed in the final.
There are a greater variety of ways to install PC-BSD in the 9.x series. When providing feedback please indicate which install media you are using and in which window manager the error occurs.
Trackback from your site.