PC-BSD 9.0 Released!
The PC-BSD development team and iXsystems are pleased to announce the immediate availability of PC-BSD version 9.0!
Based upon FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE, this is the first release of PC-BSD which offers users a variety of desktop environments to choose from, such as KDE, GNOME, XFCE, LXDE and more! Also available are pre-built VirtualBox and VMware images with integrated guest tools for rapid virtual system deployment, and native support for installing directly to OS X BootCamp partitions.
A very special thank you goes out to our contributors, testers, documentation team, and translators. Your help was invaluable in getting 9.0 ready for launch!
Some 9.0 highlights:
- Based upon FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE.
- Support for installing a variety of Window Managers, such as KDE, GNOME, XFCE, LXDE and more!
- Improved PBI system, allows library sharing, binary diff updating, custom repositories, digital signing and more!
- Support for “freebsd-update” via the System Update GUI.
- New Control Panel, providing consistent configuration options across various Window Managers.
- Improved networking utilities, including wifi quick-connect.
- Enhanced “Life-Preserver” utility for doing off-site rsync backups of user data.
- New VirtualBox / VMware disk images, with integrated guest tools.
- Support for UFS+Journaling out of box.
- New graphical boot options page.
- Support for installation to BootCamp partitions on OS X systems.
- And much more!
You can download PC-BSD 9.0 here. Instructions for preparing a system for intallation and performing the installation can be found in the PC-BSD 9.0 Users Handbook. An update for upgrading to 9.0-RELEASE from an RC version of PC-BSD 9.0 will be available in Update Manager in the next day or so.
Physical media can be purchased from the FreeBSD Mall. A DVD and book bundle will also be available from the Mall by the end of January.
Trackback from your site.