Jan

PC-BSD 9.0 Released!

The PC-BSD development team and iXsystems are pleased to announce the immediate availability of PC-BSD version 9.0!

Based upon FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE, this is the first release of PC-BSD which offers users a variety of desktop environments to choose from, such as KDE, GNOME, XFCE, LXDE and more! Also available are pre-built VirtualBox and VMware images with integrated guest tools for rapid virtual system deployment, and native support for installing directly to OS X BootCamp partitions.

A very special thank you goes out to our contributors, testers, documentation team, and translators. Your help was invaluable in getting 9.0 ready for launch!

Some 9.0 highlights:

• Based upon FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE.
  • Support for installing a variety of Window Managers, such as KDE, GNOME, XFCE, LXDE and more!
  • Improved PBI system, allows library sharing, binary diff updating, custom repositories, digital signing and more!
  • Support for “freebsd-update” via the System Update GUI.
  • New Control Panel, providing consistent configuration options across various Window Managers.
  • Improved networking utilities, including wifi quick-connect.
  • Enhanced “Life-Preserver” utility for doing off-site rsync backups of user data.
  • New VirtualBox / VMware disk images, with integrated guest tools.
  • Support for UFS+Journaling out of box.
  • New graphical boot options page.
  • Support for installation to BootCamp partitions on OS X systems.
  • And much more!

You can download PC-BSD 9.0 here. Instructions for preparing a system for intallation and performing the installation can be found in the PC-BSD 9.0 Users Handbook. An update for upgrading to 9.0-RELEASE from an RC version of PC-BSD 9.0 will be available in Update Manager in the next day or so.

Physical media can be purchased from the FreeBSD Mall. A DVD and book bundle will also be available from the Mall by the end of January.

Additional links:

Written by dru. Posted in 9.0

• Vlad
    January 13, 2012 at 7:28 am |

Great! They catched the pace of FreeBSD releases! Should give it a try!

• former ubuntu user
    January 13, 2012 at 7:33 am |

This is great news! Thanks a lot Dru and everyone else who has helped to make this possible. :-) :-)

• Former Linux User
    January 13, 2012 at 8:19 am |

Thanks, really great achievements from the PC-BSD team!

• Jake
    January 13, 2012 at 9:01 am |

Very nice. I look forward to updating from RC 3 over the weekend.

• PC-BSD 9.0 « Linux pentru incepatori
    January 13, 2012 at 9:02 am |

[…] the desktop” va invit sa aflati mai multe detalii despre noua versiune din cadrul acestui articol. Asa cum v-am adus la cunostiinta in urma cu ceva timp exista si in Romania un mirror de unde […]

• glen worstell
    January 13, 2012 at 2:28 pm |

With the abandonment of the traditional desktop by Ubuntu, I tried PC-BSD 9.0.

I downloaded the DVD, expecting that I could try it live, without installing. Alas, none of the boot options seemed to allow that; they insisted on doing an install.

The boot options menu went away very fast; too fast to actually decide which option to choose. I tried several without being able to actually read the description of each option.

I found a spare disk and installed it. I was led to believe that the default desktop would be something other than KDE, but KDE it is.

I was led to believe that I could choose among several desktops at the login screen, but this is not the case.

I tried to install gnome, but could not find it in the AppCafe.

I could not find anything in the Control Panel that would let me change the default desktop.

I installed some gnome games, thinking that that might bring in the gnome desktop, but it did not. Some of the games worked, sort of (Majongg), and some did not (Quadrapassel).

I did not want the ‘Isotope Edition’, I wanted just a plain default PC-BSD 9.0. I now think thet ‘Isotope’ just means 9.0 — somewhat redundant and confusing.

Sadly, my search for an Ubuntu replacement must continue…

Unless someone kindly tells me how to actually do what the docs say can be done…

g.

• Ufa FreeBSD News » Архив » Релиз десктоп-ориентированной ОС PC-BSD 9.0
    January 13, 2012 at 4:16 pm |

[…] Представлен релиз десктоп-ориентированной операционной системы PC-BSD 9.0, основанной на кодовой базе FreeBSD 9.0 и пользовательском окружении KDE 4.7.3. Начиная с версии 9.0 в PC-BSD обеспечена возможность работы с несколькими графическими окружениями, кроме KDE теперь можно использовать GNOME 2, XFCE 4, LXDE и различные оконные менеджеры. Курирующая развитие PC-BSD компания iXsystems активно участвует в развии FreeBSD, например, способствует улучшению поддержки ZFS и спонсирует многие инициативы FreeBSD Foundation. Разработанные в недрах PC-BSD инсталлятор используется по умолчанию во FreeBSD 9.0. […]

• Новости компьютерного мира - Релиз десктоп-ориентированной ОС PC-BSD 9.0
    January 13, 2012 at 5:19 pm |

• John
    January 14, 2012 at 6:46 am |

I was really hoping this will be the definitive PC-BSD release, but sadly it is not. I like a lot the gnome inclusion,works like a charm. But this release keeps one of the main problems of FreeBSD vs Linux: usb support. None of my usb memory or external hard disk mount when I plugged them. Yes I can go to the configuration files and make them work, but I think if you want to succeed things like that must be work “out of the box”. But thank you for a great work anyway.

• goran
      January 14, 2012 at 11:53 am |

That’s funny, in my case everything USB related (hdd, USB memory) is mounts by system but I must un-mount manually with ‘umount’.

• Max - The IT Pro
        January 21, 2012 at 10:50 pm |

So let me get this straight…
        USB support (ie. flash drives, hard drives, hubs, etc.) works ok without any problems then?? Just curious!
        Looking to take this for a spin when I can connect to a fast pipe down here in East Africa. Boy do I miss Ottawa, Canada! :-)

• goran
          January 22, 2012 at 12:07 pm |

Yes, it works. In file manager is icon ‘16GB Media’ after plug in usb flash that doesn’t work, but there is also ‘da1s1’ that work and opens usb flash. I only get “Operation don’t permitted” after trying to un mount with mouse; “# umount /media/da1s1” works.
          Here is screen grab sou you can see http://​dobosevic​.com/​e​n​/​u​sb/

• July 6, 2012 at 11:21 am |

I’ve had it work, as long as hald was operating correctly. I am used to mounting and umounting things so I don’t worry about it much, but it is kind of nice to have it work automatically.

There are other ways to do this, but I’m pretty sure that hal is what you want. Mine has been core dumping, but I haven’t been using it so I haven’t been in a big hurry to fix it (I think it just compiled while I used portmaster to update XFCE4.

• January 16, 2012 at 5:26 am |

What was the filesystem on these disks? Which window manager were you in at the time?

• July 3, 2012 at 8:45 am |

9.1 includes a Mount Tray. If you get a chance to try either the latest snapshot or the upcoming beta1, let us know if it fixes your USB mount issues.

• john
        July 6, 2012 at 3:17 pm |

I’ll give it a try of course, report my results later.

• goran
    January 14, 2012 at 12:04 pm |

That’s great.
    PCBSD 9 is my first ‘box installed’ *BSD and I think that he is OS with most and fastest changes in development.

• Coszmin
    January 14, 2012 at 1:29 pm |

Thanks guys & girls for this great OS, you’ve done a great job with this edition to. I use PCBSD since Fibonacci, before that I use dual boot M$hit products and GNU/Linux (a lots af distro), but none is like Free/PCBSD. Again great job and keep that way!

• January 14, 2012 at 3:26 pm |

After Canonicals desktop stunt with Ubuntu 11.04 i did not upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10, my current OS.
    I really did not like the other Linux distros — often it was the package system I did not like.

I look forward to replace Ubuntu 10.10 with PC-BSD 9.0.

• January 14, 2012 at 8:50 pm |

[…] “CRITEO-300x250”, 300, 250); 1 meneos PC-BSD 9.0 Publicado blog.pcbsd.org/2012/01/pc-bsd-90-released/  por difusion hace […]

• Alternator
    January 15, 2012 at 2:51 am |

Awesome, people thank you very much:)

p.s. Will there be a support for Amd Radeon hd 6970 and 7970?
    I’m having trouble making it work with rel-9:(

• Disponible PC-BSD
    January 15, 2012 at 3:27 am |

[…] http://blog.pcbsd.org/2012/01/pc-bsd-90-released/ Comparte en:Share FreeBSD, Gnome 2, KDE, LXDE, PC-BSD, Xfce […]

• Disponible PC-BSD 9.0
    January 15, 2012 at 3:31 am |

• Lucia
    January 15, 2012 at 3:50 am |

Thanks for the hard work! This is wonderful. I have been putting together by hand my graphical installs since years ago, first Linux, then BSD. This is something to look forward too, specially the inclusion of light WMs as KDE is ugly and heavy. Thanks and keep up the good work!

PS Please don’t go the Linux route and try to compete with Windows/MacOS/iOS, it’s a lost battle either to track what every little user out there wants, or track M$/Apple. Keep BSD BSD! Never care if some shitty $75 camera doesn’t work ‘out of the box’, ugh.

• July 6, 2012 at 11:25 am |

Not only is it useful to know how to mount/communicate with peripherals, it would be trivial to monitor /var/log/messages with a script and to automount devices once you’ve set them up.

• January 16, 2012 at 7:30 am |

Thanks for noting this. Kris will upload the missing info this week.

• frickelman
    January 15, 2012 at 11:12 am |

I installed the LXDE CD version and it works fine.
    The only problem is that I cannot find a way to uninstall the Adobe FlashPlayer package.
    Pbi_info does not list it, AppCafe does not know it either.
    How do I remove this package from my system?

• frickelman
      January 15, 2012 at 11:54 am |

Someone helped me to find the solution:
      Type as root
      pkg_delete linux-f10-flashplugin-11.1r102.55
      and the Adobe FlashPlayer is gone.
      It is better for the system’s security. :-)

• January 16, 2012 at 5:55 am |

It should be noted that since this is a system package that it will be restored during an upgrade.

• five words
    January 15, 2012 at 9:29 pm |

Tried your chat function, that was a waste of time.
    Anyway, downloaded the DVD Live 64 bit ISO and burnt to DVD using ISO recorder. After booting from the DVD and it finding my keyboard and mouse , I get the message that the cd/dvd directory cannot be found. Great …
    Maybe I’ll try the 32 bit version, and maybe I won’t waste another DVD.

Good Luck …

• John
    January 16, 2012 at 1:45 am |

Hi,

after trying out the RC’s and installing RL I’ve to say that you really ‘feel’ the fine quality of this distribution and the work that’s standing behind.

I’ve now got my micro runnig and can do VOIP because I’ve found the hint in the PCBSD handbook to try the ‘mixer’ command.

Hopefully 9.1 will bring 3D support for ATI Radeon build in chipsets.

Thanks!

• January 16, 2012 at 4:27 am |

Is the ‘USBLITE 32-Bit’ image a live image?

I was looking to tryout ‘USB Live 32-Bit’ image, but unfortunately it was 1.9G when compressed and didn’t fit on a 2GB stick when uncompressed.

Does the ‘VirtualBox disk 32-Bit’ image have an option to select LXDE as an option?

Where can I find development information about the creation of ‘USB Live 32-Bit’?

• glen worstell
    January 16, 2012 at 8:30 am |

Thanks to some kind replies to my post listing problems, I have now successfully installed pc-bsd 9.0 gnome edition. I am not sure that it is the solution to replacing Ubuntu for my desktop use; more evaluation needed. I will probably use it for my server.

ZFS looks like a great idea.
    g.

• Avadhoot A. Kochikar
    January 17, 2012 at 8:17 am |

Hello Dru / Team,
    I’ve tried to install PCBSD RC3 X86_64 on my Lenovo Laptop with following configuration:
    BIOS Version: LENOVO 40CN20WW(V1.07), 22/01/2011
    Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
    [01]: x64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel (i32310M processor)

Graphics driver while installation is taken as Vesa with 24 bit and 1366 X 768n display size.
    However, the graphics always fails the window manager at times only opens once, and replies at times from Control Panel (probably issue due to graphics) no graphics effects are supported, can you please let me know where I can find the solution for this? is the above supported in final release?

• January 17, 2012 at 8:21 am |

What’s the name of the video card? And which driver do you choose during the initial Display setup after installation?

• Avadhoot A. Kochikar
    January 17, 2012 at 9:00 am |

Oops! I missed that above. The Video Card is Intel HD Graphics 3000, Below are the details from my Kubuntu 11.10, the default it showed me VESA, I tried to select Intel ( there as second from intel there in option that i don’t remember right now, which too didn’t work)
    sunny@SunLinux:/data/VM$ lspci –nn | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0116] (rev 09)
    sunny@SunLinux:/data/VM$

• January 17, 2012 at 9:07 am |

phoronix.comIt is possible that you will be stuck with vesa until the dri/gem/kms snapshots are available. We are hoping that these get committed to FreeBSD HEAD soon so that we can provide testing snapshots. We’ll definitely blog about the snapshots when they become available. This page explains the issue: http://​www​.phoronix​.com/​s​c​a​n​.​p​h​p​?​p​a​g​e​=​n​e​w​s​_​i​t​e​m​&​a​m​p​;​p​x​=​O​T​c​4Ng (search for 3000).

• Avadhoot A. Kochikar
        January 17, 2012 at 7:24 pm |

Well I’d been to that site earlier… but seems that seems to talk about the beta version and I was not sure if it’ll be there in final version… though the site mentions it won’t as I was not sure if it’s an official questionnaire… Thank you… By the way, will that be supported as part of updates / patches or next release?

• January 18, 2012 at 4:44 am |

We certainly hope so. We are waiting for the commit upstream (FreeBSD) so that we can start working with it.

• Avadhoot A. Kochikar
            January 18, 2012 at 8:50 am |

Thanks a lot Dru and everyone for your replies.

• AMS
    January 17, 2012 at 9:16 am |

Intel HD series won’t be useful until DRI/GEM/KMS.

I LOVE the Gnome 3.2. It is probably the most useful GUI to date. No joke, let the flamefest begin.

• former ubuntu user
      January 17, 2012 at 2:36 pm |

I liked Gnome 2-D a lot on Ubuntu. Once they switched to Unity, I tried to use Gnome still but all my desktop icons and folders were wiped out & could not get them back. That’s why I am now going to be a PC-BSD user, as soon as I transfer over all my folders, etc. :-)

• Arriva PC-BSD 9.0 | Binary Emotions
    January 17, 2012 at 1:15 pm |

[…] immediato seguito all’uscita di FreeBSD 9.0, il team di PC-BSD rilascia la nona versione del suo sistema operativo, illustre pargolo della famiglia UNIX e miglior […]

• AMS
    January 17, 2012 at 4:02 pm |

Your files/folders should still be present in ~\Desktop, just not shown in the workspace. That’s what the dock is for, keeps you from having to move/minimize windows to access desktop icons… Do try pinning files/folders to the dock.

Unfortunately, I haven’t even looked into/tried building 3.2 on BSD. I generally use the CLI only with *BSD anyhow.

Sad to say, but the reason I use PC vs. FreeBSD is the installer. Has FreeBSD updated the installer yet? The only time I have the box hooked up to a monitor and sysinstall is what I get to look at… I don’t think it’s changed since the first time I installed 4.4? Probably even before that.

• Michael
    January 17, 2012 at 7:46 pm |

This looks great: a lot of improvements seem to have been made. To be honest, though, I was kinda hoping that the PBI system would be ditched.

PBIs work great if what you want happens to be in the repository, and you don’t need any custom config options, but if it’s not (and that is often the case for me), you’re kinda outta luck. Sure, you *can* risk installing from ports/packages, but that’s exactly what it is: a risk. It’s especially problematic when you install one thing, e.g. Emacs, then things that depend on that thing, e.g. Auctex, will want to install Emacs again.

To my mind, PBIs just do not integrate well enough with BSD. I think a better route to go down would to work out something built around the existing packages system: maybe with some Synaptic-like GUI for newbies (and I don’t mean that in a derogatory way). Updating procedures for packages are set to improve in the near future (I would wholeheartedly agree that they’re not great right now), so I don’t really see the necessity of PBIs.

As it stands, I will just keep using PCBSD to install FreeBSD — because I’m a newbie myself, and can’t figure out how to setup networking, etc. on my own :p — so that I can still use packages and ports.

• former ubuntu user
      January 17, 2012 at 9:31 pm |

so that I can still use packages and ports.”

Michael, do you mean by this that FreeBSD can install packages that can be found in Ubuntu’s Synaptic, for example? :o

• January 18, 2012 at 4:43 am |

Don’t forget that you can always request a PBI: http://​wiki​.pcbsd​.org/​i​n​d​e​x​.​p​h​p​/​S​u​b​m​i​t​_​P​B​I​_​R​e​q​u​e​sts. We’ve had good success using this model as most PBIs are created within a few days of the request and available within AppCafe shortly thereafter (after a period of time to make sure that they successfully build and work). You can also use those instructions to request that a feature that is not in the default Makefile for the port be added to the PBI.

• Michael
        January 18, 2012 at 6:08 am |

Thanks for that, Dru. I didn’t know that requesting a PBI resulted necessarily resulted in its inclusion in the AppCafe; still less was I aware that you could request certain features to be enabled at compile-time.

While I think it’s great, though, that you *do* respond to user requests, and are committed to making PBIs a useful resource for all PCBSD users, it does seem like a lot of work for you guys to take on.

Is the main rationale behind PBIs that they allow for installed applications to be upgraded more easily? If so, then that is understandable; but if not, then I still can’t quite see why some kind of graphical install for FreeBSD packages wouldn’t be an easier solution. Besides, PBIs still don’t get around the difficulty involved in upgrading the base system, or the desktop installed outside the PBI system.

• January 18, 2012 at 6:21 am |

Upgrade Manager changed in 9.0 as well, to make it easy to upgrade both base and installed PBIs.

While transparent to users, the PBI system is tightly integrated with FreeBSD ports/packages. PBIs are created from these (and when necessary, the default Makefile is modified to reflect users’ needs) and the PBI build server knows when the underlying port changes and automatically upgrades the associated PBI to the new version.

http://​wiki​.pcbsd​.org/​i​n​d​e​x​.​p​h​p​/​P​B​I​_​M​a​n​a​g​e​r​#​N​e​w​_​F​e​a​t​u​res describes some of the features of the design and the formal paper in that Additional Resources section goes into more detail about the rationale behind the design.

• former ubuntu user
            January 18, 2012 at 1:19 pm |

Cool, Thanks a lot Dru and Michael for all of this great info. :)

• Michael
            January 18, 2012 at 5:25 pm |

Thanks again, Dru. I find it extremely encouraging that PBIs are, in fact, tightly integrated with the existing ports and packages framework.

Reading through the link you provided, it would also appear that numerous improvements have been made to the system since I last used it (8.0). I especially like the inclusion of a command-line interaction(even greater because the tools use similar names and switches to the pkg_ set), and the elimination of much of the redundancy when it comes to shared files/libraries between applications. Great stuff :) I look forward to giving PBIs another chance when I upgrade to 9.0.

• mato
      January 20, 2012 at 10:03 am |

You do not risk anything if you use Ports Jail to install any ports you may want to add / update (as they won’t interfere with default system installed stuff).

• Michael
    January 17, 2012 at 10:40 pm |

freebsd.orgHi ‘Former Ubuntu User’ (I’m a former Ubuntu user as well :p ).

I’m actually referring to FreeBSD’s _own_ packages ( http://​www​.freebsd​.org/​d​o​c​/​e​n​_​U​S​.​I​S​O​8859​-​1​/​b​o​o​k​s​/​h​a​n​d​b​o​o​k​/​p​o​r​t​s​.​h​tml ). They are very similar to, but no the same as, the .deb packages used by Debian and Ubuntu, or .rpm packages used by Red Hat, Fedora, etc.

• former ubuntu user
      January 18, 2012 at 1:22 pm |

Thanks Michael. Having so many choices to choose from instead of using Windows is totally awesome. :)

• FreeBSD e PC-BSD 9.0 disponibili per il download | oneOpenSource
    January 18, 2012 at 7:31 am |

[…] installare la distribuzione su partizioni BootCamp. L’elenco completo delle novità è stato pubblicato sul blog di […]

• John
    January 18, 2012 at 6:12 pm |

I had been using PC BSD 9 for a couple of days and I love it! I tried PC BSD since the firsts versions and I think, finally it has become real alternative to Linux. For me, so long Ubuntu!!

• five words
    January 19, 2012 at 12:30 am |

I have downloaded a couple other versions but have not tested them yet, Thanks for the replies.

Happy Trails …

• RyanBram
    January 19, 2012 at 6:08 am |

Congratulation for PC-BSD Developer Teams with the PC-BSD 9.0 Release.

Today I am already installed PC-BSD 9.0 in my office computer and I saw a lot of different things with PC-BSD 8.x and the most interesting for me is the removal of /Programs and /PCBSD directory in the root directory. In my opinion the PC-BSD 8.x directory is much cleaner than in the PC-BSD 9.0 because 3rd party applications that was installed with PBI and PCBSD additional system was clearly separated from FreeBSD base system.
    Is there any way to improving PBI system without changing its directional structure?
    If the problem is with shared library, why not you follow MsWin that use “/common files” in “/Program Files” directory and “/system32” in “WINDOWS” directory for sharing common library that used by3rd party applications.

Thanks for developing great Operating System.

• Kris Moore
    January 19, 2012 at 12:04 pm |

The separation of PBI’s from the base system still exists in 9.0. Instead of /Programs, it uses /usr/pbi/ now. Also, when you customize the meta-pkgs, those get installed in /usr/local, which is separate from the FreeBSD base as well.

• RyanBram
    January 20, 2012 at 4:20 am |

Thanks for responding my question, Kris.

For your answer, I knew if the PBI in PC-BSD 9.0 was still separated from base system. But the directory was part of /usr and not independent in the root. Even the directory name was /pbi instead of /Programs.
    I think those directory names was not intuitive for beginner user like me. Beginner user may not recognize what the mean of /usr, /bin, /lib, /mnt, etc. But because those directories are part of base system I’ll not critize them. I only have a suggestion for PC-BSD developer to stick up with /Programs and /PCBSD directory, because some people think if name can affect first impression.
    Just for reference, Mac OS X use /Applications and Windows use /Program Files for storing their applications. The name was very, very intuitive like /Programs in root directory of PC-BSD.

Best regards,
    RyanBram

• mato
    January 20, 2012 at 10:10 am |

I just tried to install PC-BSD and after “bootcode written to ada0s3” I got “EXITERROR: ERROR: commitDiskLabel was called without any partition entries for it!“
    What’s wrong and how to fix it please ?

Note that I had PC-BSD 8.2 installed in the same partition before (though I reformatted it later as FAT32 for my data).

• mato
      January 20, 2012 at 12:10 pm |

I’ve found out it happens when I manually partition and configure only root slice. Then a warning about missing swap is displayed but you can continue (rightly so) and later installation fails. If I add swap (that is 2 slices only: root + swap), it works. Now this is clearly installer bug.

Btw, I always do this — choose a partition, click next, click back, choose manual partitioning and edit as wanted. Reason being I never feel safe creating custom slices from scratch. So you may think of improving this work flow for us.

Btw, it seems you cannot decide on partitioning scheme for PC-BSD. The current one is what I remember from past, but then there was a time when PC-BSD defaulted to one big slice + swap. And that I think is better for ordinary users, otherwise they have wasted space in extra slices they cannot reach / use meaningfully, imho.

• January 24, 2012 at 7:44 am |

Thanks for the feedback. Kris is working on improving and simplifying the installer for 9.1 so any additional feedback on the installer is appreciated.

• January 24, 2012 at 8:27 am |

In order to find the bug, we need a copy of your /tmp/sys-install.cfg file from the booted media, after the failure occurs to see what exactly was mis-formatted. Please send this to the testing mailing list: http://​lists​.pcbsd​.org/​m​a​i​l​m​a​n​/​l​i​s​t​i​n​f​o​/​t​e​s​t​ing.

• mato
        January 27, 2012 at 5:55 am |

Dru, I found the source of this bug — it is triggered when you remove all the partitions and even swap. As soon as you add swap back, the issue is gone. Which clearly is an installer bug.

• January 27, 2012 at 7:08 am |

Kris is revamping the installer for 9.1–I’ll forward the bug to him.

• Michael Dean Pugh
    January 20, 2012 at 5:30 pm |

I know this is not the right forum for bugs, but this seems like a severe one and I’m clearly not the first to report them here. I’ve been eagerly anticipating 9.0, which I just installed; unfortunately, I immediately found this bug.

The first and only change I made was to modify one line in /usr/local/share/config/kdm/kdmrc to allow root logons, a practice I have followed for many years (so please–no security/best practice admonitions). Everything seems fine after a reboot and root logon until I leave the machine alone for a couple of minutes–that is, I don’t touch any input devices. Then the machine completely locks up. It will accept no input; the mouse cursor is frozen. Even the power button does not start the shutdown sequence. I have induced this behavior repeatedly; it is entirely predictable. This behavior is not apparent with a non-root logon. I have used the past several revisions of PC-BSD in this way with no such problems, so I hope this is an easy bug to find and fix.

Thanks,
    Mike Pugh

• January 24, 2012 at 7:42 am |

How long did you use the system before making the change? I’m wondering if it is an ACPI issue rather than related to kdm as some ACPI defaults changed between 8 and 9.

• Michael Dean Pugh
        January 24, 2012 at 8:31 pm |

Right you are! I tried changing the suspend mode from S3 to S1 in the BIOS first, but that didn’t work. Then I added the line hint.apic.0.disabled=“1” to loader.conf as suggested in the FreeBSD docs. It’s running fine now. I don’t know if this is the fix you intended (disabling APIC altogether), but it solved my problem. Thanks!

• mato
        January 27, 2012 at 6:01 am |

Actually, I ran into a similar bug with latest PC-BSD — if I switch from X11 to virtual console (TTY?) and then whenever I don’t do anything for a while, machine locks up. It looks like a screensaver issue. (?) It happened with the default configuration, Nvidia driver.

• Michael Dean Pugh
    January 24, 2012 at 8:44 pm |

Scratch that. I came back to my computer after a reboot and a several-hour-hiatus. It appeared to be working (I was able to move the mouse cursor) and I sent the message. In the time it took me to type and send it, the machine locked up again. That couldn’t have been long enough for ACPI to kick in. The one thing I did learn is that the lock-up doesn’t not occur by default on boot. It happens AFTER I provide some input and THEN let it sit for a couple of minutes. So, sorry to say, I’m back to square one.

• Michael Dean Pugh
      January 24, 2012 at 8:56 pm |

Incidentally, I was wrong about this not happening in non-root mode. After a long wait with standard user logon, however, the machine accepts input, but there is an intermittent gap between when it is entered and when the computer registers it. Say I move the mouse around in circles; the cursor stilts from one position to the next with several seconds of pause in between. I’m going to install 9.0 on a second machine and see what happens.

• spike
    January 26, 2012 at 10:25 am |

Hi, I have problems some with boot PC-BSD 9 LiveCD on Acer Extensa 5220 laptop (Intel Celeron 2.0 GHz, 533 MHz, 1GB DDR2). During devices detections the whole process hangs on USB devices probe. Combination of ctrl + c keys does not help. I tried to disconnect the usb mouse, and try to run again.
    I had a problem also on a similar hardware. During the disk partitioning. Unfortunately I do not remember what error message concerned because it was long. Generally it was about disk partitioning and the inability to create a partition (I use the PATA controller (?)).

Some usb info. From Linux:

# lspci
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
    00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
    00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)

• spike
    January 26, 2012 at 1:08 pm |

Hi Dru! As I said I tried to unplug the mouse. I do not have any printer, scanner devices, etc. Indeed, it may be a problem with too rapid burning speed. if I remember correctly, it was highest available option.
    When it comes to BIOS and video card — I do not see anything that could be related with description from Wiki. I not have mentioned, that there is not any splash during boot. It is like default FreeBSD boot process.

Unfortunately, there are still problems. I remember that from version 8.X, I have started to have problems. Last working version was PC-BSD 7.1.X. With 8.X versions the whole process crashed at the very beginning — e.g. hangs BTX loader, or as in this “usb case” boot problem.
    Hardware is the same all the time — Intel Celeron with 1 GB of RAM, only graphics card are different — on the one computer it is Nvidia GeForce 7100, on the second (with “usb boot problem”) it is [look below].

I will try to burn .iso image once again, but with lower speed. I guess, that it is all what I can do.

$ sudo lshw -c display
    *-display:0
    product: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary)
    configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
    ....................
    *-display:1 UNCLAIMED
    product: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (secondary)
    configuration: latency=0

I skipped a few details.

• January 26, 2012 at 1:12 pm |

There is a known issue with dual graphics. Try disabling one in the BIOS and see if that makes a difference. If possible, keep the NVIDIA active as that is well supported.

• spike
        January 27, 2012 at 2:12 am |

Okay, I will check this, but on this laptop (Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller primary/secondary), I does not have nvidia cards. It is on the another computer. I will try also burn .iso image once again. Honestly, I do not have any hope, because as I already mentioned since 8.X version I have problems.

• mato
      January 27, 2012 at 6:07 am |

I experienced an issue with BTX hang recently and after some trying and googling I resolved it by turning off AHCI in IDE / SATA config in BIOS. This seems like not PC-BSD specific but BTX / FreeBSD issue, though.

• January 27, 2012 at 7:04 am |

Thanks for the tip. It has been added to the installation troubleshooting page.

• spike
        January 27, 2012 at 11:15 am |

This was one of the first things, which I tried to do when PC-BSD hung on BTX loader for the first time. 7.X branch versions seems to better tolerate my hardware. Similarly eg. with FreeBSD and support for the CD device. I could not install 8.0 Release from the first CD (message about no device found), but 8.1 Release install process went smooth.

• mato
          January 28, 2012 at 8:11 am |

Sadly, I’ve got even worse experience with FreeBSD in this regard — I used it from 5.3, on the same laptop; I had to deactivate wi-fi on 8.x due to crashes; now on 9.0 I can’t even get past kernel booting, it just hangs. :-((

• tangram
    January 27, 2012 at 5:10 am |

In the “PBI dir” page I can see that all .pbi are related to version 8. Can I install them onto PCBSD 9.0 or have I to wait for an update? Thank You in advance.

• […] попробовал PC-BSD 9.0 Isotope Edition. До этого я работал с системой, когда она еще имела […]

• February 1, 2012 at 5:48 am |

That is is the nice effort by the developer. now people have the choice to chose the verity of the desktop items for the users.

• el_condor
    February 19, 2012 at 3:57 am |

Hey all !
    PC-BSD 9.0 is the first my contact whith the BSD world! It’s great! …But I wish to uninstall the screensaver…Is it possible? I’ve tried with pbi_delete (6.2.4.7 Users Handbook) and…nothing. What’s going on ?
    Regards,
    el_condor

• February 19, 2012 at 6:10 am |

Depending upon the window manager, you can disable it, which is a better solution.

The command to uninstall is “pkg_delete –x xscreensaver”, but it will reinstall itself the next time you upgrade as it’s part of the base system.

• el_condor
    February 19, 2012 at 10:42 am |

Ok, thank you for the answer…I used the recommended command “pkg_delete –x xscreensaver” as root and after reboot…surprise: the screensaver is still active ! (in the menu System -> Preferences -> Screensaver…disappeared !) …The qustion remains: what’s going on? It’s a bug or a feature ? (I’m using GNOME as window environment). Thank you ! Regards,
    el_condor

• February 19, 2012 at 12:30 pm |

Looks like something gnome is installing, then. Try “pkg_info |grep screensaver”. If you get something back, you can “pkg_delete –fx” it.

• el_condor
        February 19, 2012 at 1:59 pm |

Thanks for your answer. I applied the recommended commands:

[condor@pcbsd-4482] /usr/home/condor# pkg_info | grep screensaver
        gnome-screensaver-2.30.2_2 GNOME screen saver and locker
        [condor@pcbsd-4482] /usr/home/condor# sudo pkg_delete –x gnome-screensaver-2.30.2_2
        pkg_delete: package ‘gnome-screensaver-2.30.2_2’ is required by these other packages and may not be deinstalled:
        gnome2-lite-2.32.1
        [condor@pcbsd-4482] /usr/home/condor# ”

…as you see it was a very dangerous answer!
        I dared to continue and here’s what happened:

[condor@pcbsd-4482] /usr/home/condor# sudo pkg_delete –xf gnome-screensaver-2.30.2_2
        and may not be deinstalled (but I’ll delete it anyway):
        gnome2-lite-2.32.1
        pkg_delete: file ‘/usr/local/share/applications/gnome-screensaver-preferences.desktop’ doesn’t exist
        pkg_delete: unable to completely remove directory ‘/usr/local/share/gnome-background-properties’
        pkg_delete: couldn’t entirely delete package ‘gnome-screensaver-2.30.2_2
        (perhaps the packing list is incorrectly specified?)”

In my opinion was an ambiguous response so I resumed (OMG..):

pkg_delete: no packages match pattern(s)
        [condor@pcbsd-4482] /usr/home/condor# ”

After this I think the screensaver, finaly, is out!
        I started this action because the Disable option on the screensaver dialog didn’t work.
        Something seems wrong to System -> Preferences -> Screensaver menu.
        Regards,
        el_condor

February 27, 2012 at 4:14 pm |

Screensaver Problem:
    I installed KDE and Gnome on two computers. KDE gave me the ability to increase the size of the mouse cursor easily (which Gnome does not seem able to do) for a friend of mine who can not see the standard sized mouse cursor at all. By the way, the KDE mouse cursor’s increased size carries over to Gnome, Yay, LoL. :)

We both prefer to use Gnome however and: I also had this strange problem with no matter what setting I tried in the Gnome &/or KDE screensavers (tried being logged in on KDE & Gnome as both Root and regular user while making screensaver setting changes) , my screen would lock itself after only a minute of not being used.

My latest try at solving this that I think/hope worked, was to go into the PC-BSD Control Panel, click on Startup Applications and uncheck the box for Screensaver. So far, so good.

Thanks a lot Dru and El Condor for your help, input and advice. :)

• February 29, 2012 at 1:56 pm |

Thanks for the feedback and your work-arounds!

February 29, 2012 at 2:18 pm |

Thanks Dru but I spoke too soon, LoL. :D Since then I have disabled PowerD in Service Manager, based on a forum thread I read. Not certain if this has worked yet, will post an update when I am certain one way or another. My other posts about this are here: http://​forums​.pcbsd​.org/​s​h​o​w​t​h​r​e​a​d​.​p​h​p​?​p​=​93979​#​p​o​s​t​93979

March 1, 2012 at 6:57 pm |

Disabling Power Devil didn’t seem to help either.

After further research, in the PC Control Panel, went into Configuration Editor, click on Desktop, then Gnome, then on “Lockdown”. Put a check-mark in the setting of “Disable_Lock_Screen”. So far have not had to log back in when I’ve walked away from my computer for a while. I can not guarantee that the things I post will work for anyone else, in fact, they might even break your machine for all I know = I am still a PC-BSD newbie.

March 2, 2012 at 5:51 pm |

Putting a check-mark in the setting of “Disable_Lock_Screen” seems to have done the trick. Left my computer for about 4 hours today and for another 6 hours last night. The screen did go blank but when I pressed a key or moved the mouse, it did not ask me to log back in. This is also true for shorter durations of computer inactivity. :)

• March 5, 2012 at 6:43 am |

Thanks! It looks like GNOME is defaulting to locking the screen after a period of inactivity.

March 5, 2012 at 7:20 am |

You are quite welcome Dru and Thank You once again and everyone else for all of your spectacular work! :) :)

• KzL
            October 21, 2012 at 2:03 pm |

i just googled this thread, wanted to say it, thanks mate !

• atheologian
    March 4, 2012 at 7:18 am |

I installed the Lite version, and it fits nicely on my Dell Mini 10, and I am considering getting the Full version.
    However, it does not seem to support USB Mobile Broadband (dongles), even though the network manager has a section for 3G.

So:

Does the full version of PC-BSD 9.0 support USB Mobile Broadband?
    or
    Can this support be easily installed?

Several Linuces have had plug-in-and-play support for MBB for years, Windows since XP at least, so it is reasonable to expect this support (a few MiBs worth of apps) to be included in an “up-to-date” system, especially one which has a good reputation for user friendliness.

• atheologian
      March 4, 2012 at 11:08 am |

The answer is ‘No, on both counts’.

I’ve looked everywhere, tried all suggestions, none of which work.

My dongle flashes blue, which means that a network connection is available, but the operating system has no interface with the device.

Never mind.

• March 5, 2012 at 6:39 am |

This is new functionality in 9.0 and we need people who have this hardware to provide feedback. If you can, please send info about your hardware, the type of info needed by your provider, and what happens when you try to configure the connection using the 3G tab of network manager to the testing mailing list: http://​lists​.pcbsd​.org/​m​a​i​l​m​a​n​/​l​i​s​t​i​n​f​o​/​t​e​s​t​ing.

• atheologian
          March 27, 2012 at 10:41 am |

All Ubuntu, Debian or Fedora may need is USB-modeswitch (usually included) & a new /etc/udev.rule (which the user adds later); the rest is done by the default network manager. Puppy Linux has plug-in-&-play configuration.

Many other ‘Desktop/Netbook’ Linuxen/their ‘outdated’ network managers lack this functionality, but the fact remains than this is relatively ‘old’ functionality, & one upon which many people depend upon for access to the WWW, especially in areas lacking in landline networks.

I wouldn’t expect this functionality from a server oriented distribution, but any supposedly ‘desktop’ or ‘netbook’ (especially so) distribution that lacks it, has failed in this respect, for the sake of a few megabytes.

Maybe version 10 will be up to date, in this respect.

• Patrick Crosby
    April 21, 2012 at 3:01 pm |

Someone else asked how you switch back and forth between Gnome and KDE (or just something besides KDE) and nobody answered. 8 years ago with Free BSD this was not a problem. You just halted X windows and started whatever one (of those installed) you wanted. Not so here. In fact, during the install, I do not see where I had an option of choosing. I simply installed them all, and thereby got stuck with KDE. Now I can’t remove KDE by an means offered by the Isotope Edition. The 274 page Manual provided, which looks absolutely beautiful, doesn’t tell you how to do what I want to do. Isn’t it reasonable that a new user would, first thing, want to try different window managers? Well, you can’t here. Or am I supposed to do a complete reinstall each time, being careful only to select the window manager I want to play with? Seems that’s the only way, but it’s just nuts. All this effort put into this release, and new users hit this sort of brick wall right up front. I just don’t get it.

• April 23, 2012 at 6:28 am |

It is easy to switch between installed window managers at the login screen. See Figure 4.6c in http://​wiki​.pcbsd​.org/​i​n​d​e​x​.​p​h​p​/​L​o​g​g​i​n​g​_In.

• Patrick Crosby
        April 23, 2012 at 11:36 am |

Thank you so much. But the heart of my problem was that either there is no driver at all for the internal WiFi adapter in the Dell Inspiron 9100, or if there is one, it’s buggy. This was a major problem because it locked the system up when I tried to configure it. That meant I needed to cut the power to get out of this state. As we all know, this does major damage to an installation, almost regardless of the “flavor” of Unix.
        I ultimately solved this problem with a BIOS disabling of the Internal adapter and plugging in an ASUS USB WiFi adapter. (Turned out the same lock up problem happened in both Gnome and KDE). I wound up using LXDE.
        To make the system truly useful I will need to find a way to get WordPerfect running on it. Maybe Wine? Since I only have 1 GB of Ram (upgradabe only to 2 GB) VMWare or the similar Oracle product may not be options. BTW, tried Open Suse12.1 that that was a big disaster. For some reason writing the install DVD proved impossible. The one I was able to boot from did not pass the media check, causing install problems. So much for Linux vs FreeBSD

• April 23, 2012 at 11:48 am |

That is why I was curious which driver it was (from ifconfig) to see if there are known issues (or fixes) with that driver.

• Patrick Crosby
            April 26, 2012 at 1:24 pm |

I wasn’t sure how to check what you were talking about, but today I noticed a 5th update of some sort. I installed it, and then tried to do a net restart and it froze again. But this time the system was left intact despite the hardware power shutdown. I was able to reboot, and my wifi device was found and it works. Now I am trying to figure out how to use WINE to install windows WordPerfect

• Patrick Crosby
    April 21, 2012 at 3:23 pm |

Another problem. This happened to me twice now. I try configuring a my wireless card (this is an old Inspiron 9100 which runs XP) and the thing completely locks up. Powering down is the only The X windowing system is completely destroyed thereby, command line prompt only. With no accessible documentation. Will I do a 3rd reinstall? No way. I’d sooner go back to FreeBSD 4.0 This is terrible.

• April 23, 2012 at 6:26 am |

Do you know which FreeBSD device name the interface uses?

• Curry
    May 1, 2012 at 9:46 pm |

I’m having 2 problems consistently with new installs of the latest PCBSD, Isotope on my laptop. First, I cant seem to get it to add any other user than root during installation. The option is given, and I take the bait and add a new user, and save the changes, but nothing during the first boot. Second problem: Everytime I try to configure my wireless card, an old Broadcom card, the system freezes and I have to power down. After that, the system is screwed and wont boot up to a gui anymore. Re-installs are getting tiresome. Has anyone found a fix to these issues yet. I would really like to be able to use PCBSD, but its worthless to me like this. Oh one more thing, no sound on my system either. I normally run fuduntu without any problems so I know the hardware works. My system specs. HP ZE2308wm, upgraded processor to AMD ML37 2 Ghz 64 bit, 2 Gig ram, Broadcom 43xx. I know that Broadcom cards generally suck but support has gotten better for them. I haven’t tried an external modem yet. Any help would be appreciated.

• Profesor Yeow
    May 2, 2012 at 2:01 pm |

Great! :D

• Curry
    May 2, 2012 at 8:09 pm |

Thanks for the information and links where to find more. As far as first boot, (bad terminology on my part) I meant the initial login after installation. After creating the root and secondary user accounts, and going through the whole installation, when i go to log in for the first time, there is no secondary user option. I can only log in as root. It’s as if the other account is not getting created at all. There is no secondary user account in the home directory. As far as the Broadcom chip goes. The number on it is BCM94318mpg Rev 4. Don’t know if the chipset can be gotten from that info or not. Also formatting it under UFS so I will try the fsck. Thanks again.

• Curry
    May 4, 2012 at 9:47 am |

Thanks for the adduser command. I will also look into ndisgen command for the broadcom card driver. As for the creation of the secondary user account. With some consistency I have been able to reproduce the error. It seems that when I’m attempting to create the secondary user account, after I hit the Add button, and the user has been added to the box below, If I hit the save changes radio button then the secondary user account isn’t created when I advance to the next screen. If I do not hit the save changes radio button, then the secondary user account does get created. I’ve been able to do this more than once, so there may be something to it. I hope this helps. I’d like to hope that I’ve been able to make a contribution, however small, to the development of this OS.

• May 4, 2012 at 9:50 am |

Thanks for providing the details on how to recreate the bug. I’m pretty sure this has been fixed in the 9.1 installer. If you get a chance to test one of the 9.1 testing snapshots before release (e.g. on a spare system or vm) please let us know if you can still reproduce that bug.

• Joe
    May 9, 2012 at 11:40 pm |

Hi PC-BSD works fine.
    But when I trayed to install it on PC, I had some problems :S
    If I choose Slovenian language in install wizard I get errors because translation isn’t complete or some thing like that (there are no words on screen — buttons without button names on it etc.)

• Erkan
    May 15, 2012 at 1:06 am |

Hi Dru,

Installing 9.0 on two different platforms (1.st: HP 6530b Core2Duo P8400, GMA4500, 2.nd: 8560W witr Core i7-26xxQ something, Ati FirePro graphics), Acpi seems to be broken. Tried various fixes, Acpi throttling en/dis, recompile kernel etc, but did not work.
    Battery monitor seems to be stuck at the value the computer was turned on, ie, the computer was turned on running battery with gauge 55%, this value is displayed even though computer is run for an hour or so. Also inserting power plug, “running on battery” status is not flipped to “Charging“or sth. else. Using terminal and typing “acpiconf –i0 ” gives static values which don’t change over time, stuck at the time the Acpi info was strobed.
    Using FBSD 8.1 with XFCE WM, acpi was working fine on my 6530b.

• May 15, 2012 at 4:51 am |

Thanks for the feedback. If these are both HP systems, see if there is anything in acpi_hp(4) which improves the situation.

• Former linux user
    August 2, 2012 at 1:33 pm |

Hi

im very new on pcbsd

i love it and at home all my computers will be installed freebsd or pcbsd

but i must say it is very poor information for neew users

and im also looking Jdownloader but i cant find help for that

• August 6, 2012 at 6:16 am |

Jdownloader has not been ported to FreeBSD yet and there is a ports request for it. It looks like you can download the “Other” and run it using:

unzip JDownloader.zip
      java –jar JDownloader/JDownloader.jar

As for the documentation, use the Guide which was installed on the Desktop. If there is information missing, use one of the Support Resources to suggest information that should be added.

• February 6, 2013 at 10:20 pm |