Mar

PC-BSD at NELF

NorthEast LinuxFest will be held in Worcester, MA on March 17. We will be given away PC-BSD DVDs and cool swag at the FreeBSD booth in the expo area. Registration is free for this event and there will be an after-party at a local pub. Not a bad way to spend St. Patrick’s Day if you’re in the NorthEast.

Written by dru. Posted in Events

• Silvio Arnone
    March 1, 2012 at 7:55 pm |

You PC-BSD guys should be working to fix the bugs before going around giving away DVDs.
    9.0 has been disappointing me very much, even the Forum is useless in my experience, no help a too or useless answers.
    PC-BSD is a lame duck at present time.

March 5, 2012 at 7:31 am |

Have you posted information at the below link which I quote from one of Dru’s other messages?

dru says:
      March 5, 2012 at 6:39 am

This is new functionality in 9.0 and we need people who have this hardware to provide feedback. If you can, please send info about your hardware, the type of info needed by your provider, and what happens when you try to configure the connection using the 3G tab of network manager to the testing mailing list: http://​lists​.pcbsd​.org/​m​a​i​l​m​a​n​/​l​i​s​t​i​n​f​o​/​t​e​s​t​ing.
      ——————————————————-

I have had a couple very very minor problems with 9.0 but I know that everyone who has helped to create PC-BSD 9.0 is constantly hard at work fixing remaining bugs & Also continually Improving PC-BSD. Just try to get such awesome service from Mircosoft, LoL. :)

• Robert
    March 2, 2012 at 3:51 am |

I agree with you Silvio, A lot of laptop & netbook computers come install with broadcom wireless devices installed. and after repeated please on the Broadcom 4322ag wireless drivers still nothing no to mention sound issues and i bet that will not be in the next release of PC-BSD also.

The PC-BSD team need to take a page from the mint linux or ubuntu playbook. I’am going back to linux mint in fact i would take windows over PC-BSD.

March 5, 2012 at 7:36 am |

Bye Robert, have fun with your Windows. I switched from Windows to Ubuntu years ago and never went back to Windows. Ubuntu changed to Unity which gave me problems not to mention my desire to still use Gnome 2-D.

So I tried PC-BSD and for me, it is freaking amazing! It is the Best OS I have ever used and I can not Thank everyone enough who has helped create it & continues to improve it for me and everyone else.. :)

• AMS
    March 2, 2012 at 9:48 am |

Why can’t we just say screw the GUI– no offense pcbsd– and make a useable server… BSD was never meant for the desktop.

Maybe once Wayland is mature, a desktop BSD may be an option. Until then, pcbsd should focus on hardware support, or YOU ARE DEAD IN THE WATER. Who cares if you don’t increase your version number to 10… Maybe people can install the OS and not have errors/crashes/hardware issues during/post install.

I have switched back to Linux because I have a day job. I don’t have time to figure this crap out anymore. If I was still in school and didn’t have bills to pay… I would personally come to every BSD users desktop and help them *learn* to figure it out.

• RyanBram
    March 2, 2012 at 3:31 pm |

All the criticism can be a motivation for the developers of PC-BSD to keep trying hard. But I chose a different path with all of the above opinion, I’ll keep trying every release of PC-BSD until I found a solid version of PC-BSD. Though hardware may still be an obstacle, though bug may still frequently be found, but I already liked the concept of PC-BSD which “different” from other * NIX distribution.

Bravo PC-BSD Teams,
    RyanBram

• John
    March 6, 2012 at 6:43 am |

I don’t understand the complains and the critics. PC BSD, FreeBSD and Linux are totally free, their are gifts from hard working developers. If they have bugs or simply you don’t like them, I think we all should say “thank you” and move on. Maybe is because I live in a Third World Country and we simply can’t afford new machines with Windows or Mac OS X, or it’s like and old saying from our ancestors: “to a free horse you don’t see the spots”.

To the PC BSD developers: thank you very much, we appreciate your effort.

• RyanBram
      March 7, 2012 at 2:25 am |

@John
      I strongly agree with your statement.

• AMS
    March 7, 2012 at 8:44 am |

Uhhh… It’s perfect!! Never change anything, ever. No flaws or need to improve anything.

• Chris
    March 7, 2012 at 1:42 pm |

Geez, what’s with all of the whining? Especially over a product that is being distributed to you for free and with the developer’s spare time.

BSD is not designed to work with every piece of hardware. Generally, support is included when it is deemed stable and if there are people around to work on it. PC-BSD has made great leaps into a usable desktop, but at this point, you still need to do research when getting things to work with it. If you buy the latest and greatest, chances are is that it’s not going to work out of the box. If you want your device to work 100% of the time, run Windows. That’s not meant as a derogatory comment, but simply as a matter of fact.

Perhaps the Linux users who’ve come over here to complain about this forgot to read the previous blog post: http://​blog​.pcbsd​.org/​2012​/​02​/​c​a​l​l​-​f​o​r​-​t​e​s​t​e​r​s​-​g​e​m​k​m​s​-​s​n​a​p​s​h​ot/

• Stevie
    March 8, 2012 at 4:38 am |

Thanks A Million PC-BSD Team, Keep Up The Magnificent Work …

God Bless,

Stevie

• AMS
    March 8, 2012 at 5:52 pm |

The success of PCBSD hinges on ease of use. So…

• Ray
    March 8, 2012 at 7:03 pm |

Works like a charm for me. There’s probably a nut loose on your keyboard.

• AMS
    March 8, 2012 at 7:58 pm |

I’ve used BSD since 4.4.
    This isn’t FreeBSD. This is PCBSD.

What is PC-BSD?
    PC-BSD is a user friendly desktop Operating System based on FreeBSD.”

Source:

’nuff

• Ray
    March 9, 2012 at 5:20 am |

That’s the beauty of it. If it doesn’t work for you and your not willing or able to help resolve the issue, move on. But whining about something that doesn’t have a warranty isn’t making much sense.

• AMS
    March 9, 2012 at 8:31 am |

@Ray
    Get off your horse.

Don’t act all high and mighty. Your name is Ray, that’s all.

I don’t think you understand, WITHOUT USERS, PCBSD –will– disappear.

This a community driven project. Let the community do what they do best.

Innovation will never happen if gutless, buttkissers are afraid to point out troubles/flaws/needs for future releases.

Oh… And BTW, if PCBSD isn’t working for someone, I’m pretty sure the devs DO want to hear about it. I’m pretty sure they want to try and fix it. I’m pretty sure that they want a large user base. And last, but not least, I’m pretty sure you don’t know anything about BSD, except that it’s free (to you) but the price of passion for developers. Some people do get paid to develop software (GEM/KMS/DRI) and need wide hardware support, ‘user friendly’ installation and use. Without this, there is no need to develop.

That’s great it works flawlessly for you and your emachine. Some of us like to build systems tailored to our requirements, not an OS.

Like previously stated:

Correct me if I’m wrong, I’m asking you PCBSD, but you don’t want people to have to *figure it out* do you?
    Is the goal not stated above?

• Frederic
    March 9, 2012 at 9:03 am |

@AMS

Stop being a troll. If you really had a point to make, you be posting somewhere other than an announcement of an event.

• Ray
    March 9, 2012 at 9:17 am |

@Frederic

While I don’t agree with everything AMS is saying and I think we may define “Community driven” a little differently, I don’t think he’s intentionally being a troll. I’m assuming I could probably find his concerns posted in the forums somewhere.

• AMS
    March 9, 2012 at 9:28 am |

I’m backing up Silvio and Robert.

@frederic
    I’m not trolling. Neither are Rob (can I call you Rob?) and Silvio.
    We’re are pretty much stating our *opinions*

present participle of troll (Verb)
    Verb:
    Fish by trailing a baited line along behind a boat: “we trolled for mackerel”.
    Search for something.

Merriam-Webster The Free Dictionary

Just because you don’t agree with us doesn’t make us trolls. I would love PCBSD to work flawlessly. I’ve wasted many a blank media disc.

I wish comments weren’t an option.

@Dru
    You guys seeking sponsorship? Is this a schmooze event? Who funds the swag? Do people get paid? This why I’ve never donated anything but my time. What have you done?
    The first commenter, in my opinion, has a good point.
    I understand that everyone working on the project is a developer.

• March 9, 2012 at 9:39 am |

There’s definitely more than developers working on the project. We get a lot of feedback from testers (many who are pleased at how responsive the devs are to new features and bug fixes), people who suggest or create PBIs for AppCafe, people who assist with the documentation wiki, etc.

If you read the blog regularly you’ll see that DVDs are given out at ~20 open source conferences per year and that anyone can request DVDs to give out at their local user group, school, etc. iX pays for the DVDs and the shipping.

I’ve been paid to write docs for iX for about 18 months now. Years before that I wrote about PC-BSD (including a book) and paid my own way to speak about it at conferences and to assist at BSD booths. I still do ~12 conferences per year.

So there is lots of room for anyone to contribute as they can. We shouldn’t belittle the contributions of others nor ignore constructive feedback on how to improve things.

• Sho-Nuff
    March 9, 2012 at 1:45 pm |

I am backing Dru and the rest of the PC-BSD Team …
    Keep Up The Good Work

• Mark
    March 9, 2012 at 3:25 pm |

Its good to see BSD reps at events getting the word out! Much thanks to all who contribute to producing a great OS.

• Rudy
    March 28, 2012 at 3:19 pm |

PC-BSD = Stability , first time to use it and i love it .
    Keep it Developed .
    good luck PC-BSD team,move toward perfection.