Apr

9-STABLE-20120418 Testing Snapshot Available

Kris has just announced the availability of the first testing snapshot for the upcoming 9.1 release. This snapshot can be downloaded from here.

NOTE: This snapshot is only available for 64-bit systems. Also, if you need the new GEM/KMS support provided in the previous snapshot, do not install this new snapshot on your main system as that support has been removed, pending its commital to FreeBSD. If you need that support and would like to test the new snapshot, test it in a virtual environment.

The wiki is gradually being updated with the new installer and Warden information and those sections will change over the next few days to match the capabilities of this snapshot.

From the announcement:

The PC-BSD team is pleased to make available the first public 9-STABLE snapshot for 64bit systems!

This snapshot provides both users and developers a means to test out new features in the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 release. This snapshot may contain buggy code and features, so users are encouraged to run it only on non-critical systems.

Highlights

• FreeBSD 9-STABLE from 4-11-2012
  • New system installer! Greatly simplified for desktop and server installs.
  • New “PC-BSD Server” installation option. Includes command-line utilities like pbi-manager, warden, metapkgmanager and more.
  • Support for ZFS mirror / raidz(1,2,3) during installation.
  • Support for SWAP on ZFS, allowing entire disk ZFS installation.
  • Support for setting additional ZFS data-set options, such as compression, noexec, etc.
  • Warden jail management integrated into system. Allows creating jails via GUI, adding packages and other administration.
  • First boot setup wizard allows OEM installs to be easily performed.
  • New Bluetooth paring tray / GUI utilities.
  • New AppCafe improvements and preferences.
  • Improvements to wifi utility.
  • Fixed bug causing untranslated strings to show up empty.
  • Numerous bug-fixes to PC-BSD related utilities.

Errata

• There is a bug installing to boot-camp partitions which will be fixed in next snapshot.
  • The warden rc.d script is not enabled by default. Add ‘warden_enable=“YES“‘ to /etc/rc.conf to enable.
  • The i386 image was not built for this snapshot, however it will available in the upcoming weeks.
  • The installer will not correctly start on systems with < 512MB of ram, which will be fixed in upcoming snapshots.
  • This snapshot does NOT contain the upcoming Intel GEM/KMS video driver support. This will be available in a future snapshot.

Written by dru. Posted in 9.1, new features, testers

• La imágen de pruebas 9-STABLE-20120418 ya esta disponible | Gustavo Pimentel's GNU/Linux Blog
    April 19, 2012 at 10:49 am |

[…] Smart acaba de anunciar la disponibilidad de la primera imágen instantánea de pruebas para la próxima versión 9.1 para […]

• April 19, 2012 at 8:20 pm |

Thanks a lot Kris, Dru and everyone else. Looking forward to trying 9.1, however 9.0 is still awesome. :)

• wasabi
    April 21, 2012 at 3:17 am |

Hi everybody!

Just to confirm, does this snapshot include the updated update manager which allows you to do manual ports upgrades of freebsd?

Can I also ask does anyone know if it is possible to install without kde and instead get i3 somehow?

Chris

• schnorg
    April 21, 2012 at 5:56 am |

I’m also very interested in i3 windowmanager! I’m not able to install in pcbsd 9.0

• April 21, 2012 at 6:04 am |

This snapshot contains all the window managers. Click Customize when you get to this screen of the installer: http://​wiki​.pcbsd​.org/​i​n​d​e​x​.​p​h​p​/​D​e​s​k​t​o​p​_​S​e​l​e​c​t​i​o​n​_​S​c​r​een.

• schnorg
        April 21, 2012 at 8:11 am |

Thank you dru! You mean I can try this snapshot for my main Desktop? I’ve fresh installed 9.0 yesterday, so I will not loose a lot, if something doesn’t work .… only some time ;-)
        I like BSD very much, tried Freebsd, but there was too much work for me to adjust as Desktop. PC-BSD seems to be very good for me, if I can use my WMs i3 and E17
        Thanks alot!
        Schnorg

• April 21, 2012 at 8:17 am |

Sorry, I mistook i3 for 13 (the number of window managers available). i3 isn’t a system component yet, so I’ll ask if it can be included. You could pkg_add –r i3, but you will need to manually add it to gdm. We were going to include e17, but it was difficult to integrate as it does not use config files. Again, you can pkg_add –r it, but you will need to manually start it. The window managers that are included so far, are listed in the URL above.

• schnorg
            April 21, 2012 at 8:33 am |

ok, thanks, I’ll try again from my new 9.0 version. to add startup manually e.g. in .xinitrc is not a problem. i3 worked in freebsd 9.0, so it should work in PC-BSD , I think :-)
            Thanks and compliments for you great work!

• April 30, 2012 at 9:28 am |

I’ve added “I3” as an optional WM now :)

• mato
    April 21, 2012 at 8:52 am |

I installed PC-BSD 9.0 recently which prompted me to write a few comments here..

- AppCafe should display package size so users know what to expect before they actually decide to install a package.
    – It should be possible to pause package download, thus allowing next package in queue to download and install. This is very useful when a user tries to initially install many packages and then finds out it takes very long and he/she would like to move certain package(s) to the top of the queue. (It would be even better if users could simply reorder queued packages.)
    – Maybe packages could be downloaded in parallel, something that portmaster does. Then their installation would be serialized, of course.
    – K9Copy package is missing its icon. Btw, in such case, there should be an empty / placeholder icon displayed in AppCafe’s list of installed packages.
    – While sound works in PC-BSD / KDE, it does not in Skype. Was it tested or is it just my issue ? (although I don’t see why it wouldn’t work once it works in main system)
    – Too little updates to the main system. Some packages are likely safe to update, while rather useful, e.g. webcamd. Also, seeing frequent updates make user believe the system and community is alive.
    – The same goes for PBI packages. Many are quite old, while I read long time ago that it should be quite easy to create PBIs from the ports. And that it is even planned to set up a machine that would build them automatically. Anyway, not may PBIs available / up-to-date is one of the first things new users will notice and that itself can turn them away.
    – It used to be possible to select from multiple versions of Nvidia driver, which could help sometimes. Also, there used to be Nvidia settings application in PC-BSD. Now I cannot see any of it in PC-BSD 9.
    – What about Enlightenment (E17) ?

• April 23, 2012 at 6:39 am |

Some I’ve answered, some I’ve forwarded to the devs.

As of this snapshot, AppCafe shows package size.

Not sure what happened with sound in skype as it was working before. It is possible something changed in the upstream port.

Weekly package sets are on the radar and will happen soon, allowing the base system to not be more than a week out of date.

We planned to have E17 as a system component in 9.0 but could not integrate it due to the lack of config files. We’ll have to think how to include it going forward (maybe a PBI?)

• Lesliemanhu
    April 22, 2012 at 2:27 pm |

typo: intaller -> installer

• April 23, 2012 at 5:17 am |

Thanks!

• RyanBram
    April 22, 2012 at 5:45 pm |

Thank you very much for all of PC-BSD Developers hard works.

• […] PC-BSD 9-STABLE-20120418 snapshot available Posted on April 20, 2012 by Gerard The PC-BSD team has made the first public 9-STABLE snapshot available for 64bit systems! Read the announcement. […]

• Geoff
    April 23, 2012 at 5:26 pm |

Thanks very much for this, I’ve long been a fan of PC BSD.
    Currently I’m setting up a FreeBSD home server but am not keen on learning all the tricks involved to force it onto ZFS or a software RAID 1 mirror, so if I can achieve either of these with your new server install then that is absolutely fantastic!