9-STABLE-20120418 Testing Snapshot Available
Kris has just announced the availability of the first testing snapshot for the upcoming 9.1 release. This snapshot can be downloaded from here.
NOTE: This snapshot is only available for 64-bit systems. Also, if you need the new GEM/KMS support provided in the previous snapshot, do not install this new snapshot on your main system as that support has been removed, pending its commital to FreeBSD. If you need that support and would like to test the new snapshot, test it in a virtual environment.
The wiki is gradually being updated with the new installer and Warden information and those sections will change over the next few days to match the capabilities of this snapshot.
From the announcement:
The PC-BSD team is pleased to make available the first public 9-STABLE snapshot for 64bit systems!
This snapshot provides both users and developers a means to test out new features in the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 release. This snapshot may contain buggy code and features, so users are encouraged to run it only on non-critical systems.
- FreeBSD 9-STABLE from 4-11-2012
- New system installer! Greatly simplified for desktop and server installs.
- New “PC-BSD Server” installation option. Includes command-line utilities like pbi-manager, warden, metapkgmanager and more.
- Support for ZFS mirror / raidz(1,2,3) during installation.
- Support for SWAP on ZFS, allowing entire disk ZFS installation.
- Support for setting additional ZFS data-set options, such as compression, noexec, etc.
- Warden jail management integrated into system. Allows creating jails via GUI, adding packages and other administration.
- First boot setup wizard allows OEM installs to be easily performed.
- New Bluetooth paring tray / GUI utilities.
- New AppCafe improvements and preferences.
- Improvements to wifi utility.
- Fixed bug causing untranslated strings to show up empty.
- Numerous bug-fixes to PC-BSD related utilities.
- There is a bug installing to boot-camp partitions which will be fixed in next snapshot.
- The warden rc.d script is not enabled by default. Add ‘warden_enable=“YES“‘ to /etc/rc.conf to enable.
- The i386 image was not built for this snapshot, however it will available in the upcoming weeks.
- The installer will not correctly start on systems with < 512MB of ram, which will be fixed in upcoming snapshots.
- This snapshot does NOT contain the upcoming Intel GEM/KMS video driver support. This will be available in a future snapshot.
Trackback from your site.