May

9-STABLE-20120505 Snapshot Available for Testing

Kris has announced the availability of the next testing snapshot. If you are using Intel video or would like to upgrade from a previous snapshot, read the Errata section below.

The next snapshot in the PC-BSD 9-STABLE branch has just been released
for i386 and amd64 architectures. This snapshot provides both users and developers a means to test out new features in the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 release. This snapshot may contain buggy code and features, so users are encouraged to run it only on non-critical systems.

Changes since the previous Snapshot:

* FreeBSD 9-STABLE from 05-01-2012
* Xorg 7.5.2 / Xorg-server 1.10.6
* Includes the GEM kernel support patches
* Added fail2ban for SSH brute force blocking
* Added ossec to base system
* Added support for all i18n languages currently in Pootle
* Fixed sorting of installed Applications in AppCafe
* Fixed some bugs in server install causing CLI apps to fail
* Fixed stamping boot on BootCamp partitions.
* Enable starting Warden jails at system bootup
* Enable booting installer on systems with < 512MB of RAM
* Enabled splash screen support
* Multiple bugfixes to included utilities / apps

Highlights for the upcoming 9.1:

* New system installer! Greatly simplified for desktop and server installs.
* New “PC-BSD Server” installation option. Includes command-line
utilities like pbi-manager, warden, metapkgmanager and more.
* Support for ZFS mirror / raidz(1,2,3) during installation.
* Support for SWAP on ZFS, allowing entire disk ZFS installation.
* Support for setting additional ZFS data-set options, such as compression, noexec, etc.
* Warden jail management integrated into system. Allows creating jails
via GUI, adding packages and other administration.
* First boot setup wizard allows OEM installs to be easily performed.
* New Bluetooth paring tray / GUI utilities.
* New AppCafe improvements and preferences
* Improvements to wifi utility
* Fixed bug causing untranslated strings to show up empty.
* Numerous bug-fixes to PC-BSD related utilities
* And much more!

Errata

* Due to some port changes the updated Xorg Intel driver did not get
automatically included. You add it post-install by adding the line
“WITH_NEW_XORG=yes” to /etc/make.conf and then building the
/usr/ports/x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel port. This will be corrected in the next snapshot.

* It is possible to update from the previous snapshot to the current version, however you will manually need to update the
/usr/local/bin/pc-updatemanager command first.

(As root)
# fetch
http://​trac​.pcbsd​.org/​e​x​p​o​r​t​/​16662​/​p​c​b​s​d​/​c​u​r​r​e​n​t​/​s​r​c​-​s​h​/​p​c​-​u​p​d​a​t​e​m​a​n​a​g​e​r​/​p​c​-​u​p​d​a​t​e​m​a​n​a​ger –o /usr/local/bin/pc-updatemanager
# chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/pc-updatemanager

You may now update via the system updater GUI.

Written by dru. Posted in 9.1, testers, translations

• Ronald Klop
    May 8, 2012 at 7:01 am |

Nice! One question. How do I easily install vmware guest tools?

• May 9, 2012 at 4:02 am |

During installation, they are in the Misc category of the desktop selection screen. After installation, go to control panel -> system manager -> system packages -> misc.

• May 8, 2012 at 7:20 pm |

Cool, Thank you everyone! :)

• RyanBram
    May 9, 2012 at 6:39 am |

Great. Thanks all PC-BSD developer and community.

• Coszmin
    May 9, 2012 at 8:00 am |

I’ve just tested this snapshot (i386) and I was a little disappointed about him, is to simple :); I’m looking for a installer that can permit a more custom install of apps, ex.: (from KDE — ark, kopete; from gnome2– brasero, totem, etc.). Well this is first impresion I’ll be back with other details after more testing.

• emmex
    May 9, 2012 at 8:18 am |

Is possible to upgrade from 9.0-RELEASE to this one ?
    Thanks

• May 9, 2012 at 9:05 am |

Yes, it is possible. You will need to first grab the update to pc-updatemanager as shown in the notes, and then modify /usr/local/share/pcbsd/pc-updatemanager/conf/sysupdate.conf

Look for the PATCHSET: line and change it to “pcbsdtest” then the update to the snapshot should appear. Warning: This is a snapshot, so it may not be fully stable yet :)

• emmex
        May 10, 2012 at 2:40 am |

Unfortunately the upgrade don’t works for me.
        With mfsBSD boot cd I have created the /boot/kernel directory with a copy of /boot/kernel.pcbsd because it was missing and the system stopped at the OK prompt.
        Now the kernel boots, the zfs:tank0 is mounted but the system will continue to reboot with a message similar to “update stage-dir is missing. Rebooting back to original system. Cp: /etc/rc.backup: No such file or directory”

What can I do ?
        Thanks

• Dr. James R. Pannozzi DOM, LAc.
        May 13, 2012 at 9:09 am |

Great! Please keep that upgrade path easy and working so that when something more stable is ready we can have a go at it.

I REALLY like PC-BSD (first time user, 9.0, former Fedora Core 14 and Ubuntu 11.10 user). Liked it enough, because of its rock solid ZFS and encryption ability that I’m using it even though I could not get my USB NETgear wirless to work — so I’m sharing an internet connection from my laptop via a lan cable for Internet access to the BSD box.

Despite the important stuff all working great, Numerous stuff not working — for example HP P1006 printer installed perfectly via HP Device manager, printer is recognized, no errors but when printing absolutely nothing happens — no error messages, no printing and the print queue empties as though the job finished printing perfectly!

Also, I have 3 USB external disks, 2 have NTFS, one is a Luks encrypted ext3. Only one of the NTFS disks is correctly opened by Dolphin. The other NTFS disk (a Toshiba USB 300Gig) won’t open, the error message says problem in the NTFS header somewhere but yet it opens fine on my Ubuntu, Fedora, and Windows XP boxes. If I click on it in Dolphin, the cursor just jumps back to “Home”. The Luks encrypted external USB disk is recognized and I enter the password correctly but the drive will not open for unknown reasons. I suspect BSD can’t handle Luks encrypted drives just yet.

I tried KPorts for a visual GUI to the excellent ports system in BSD but, alas, it views the ports available and updates fine but there is NO install button. It is view only though I’m told an “install” feature is coming. But AppCafe works beautifully. I have only begun to try out a few of those tantalizing apps available.

DESPITE ALL THIS, the BSD is a joy to work with, handles my thousands of medical files perfectly and I can’t wait for a newer version to fix some of these things not working. Keep up the great work!

• May 16, 2012 at 5:30 am |

Thank you for the detailed feedback.

Regarding the printer, it looks like it needs http://​foo2xqx​.rkkda​.com/. We’re looking into porting this to FreeBSD so it can be included as a base PC-BSD package. In the meantime, if you try the instructions on that page, let us know if it solves the printing problem.

That is interesting about the second NTFS disk. Do you know if it was formatted as a dynamic NTFS?

Luks has not been ported to FreeBSD yet.

• Dr. James R. Pannozzi DOM, LAc.
            May 16, 2012 at 8:43 am |

I’ll give the foo2xqx a shot and report back.

Regarding the recalcitrant NTFS external drive, how does one find out if it is formatted as “dynamic” NTFS?

Thanks!
            James

• Dr. James R. Pannozzi DOM LAc.
            May 24, 2012 at 3:19 am |

On my XP box, I ran chkdsk /r on the external USB disk that PC-BSD 9.0 could not read.
            It did find an error regarding empty space marked as allocated and fixed it, as shown below. Have not yet tried to mount the corrected USB external drive on PC-BSD yet, will get to that tommorow.

Also, did not get a chance to try the instructions on re-installing the HP P1006 laser jet printer. The instructions are confusing and am not sure if I should just delete the printer and start from scratch or whatever. Will have a go at that later too, when time permits.

Last but not least, I wish the gnustep install port maintainers would update the release and double check whether development/compile options work. I know PC-BSD is in the middle of a transition from GCC to CLANG, thus complicating things.

Other than the above everything else working cool!

Thanks!
            J.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
            © Copyright 19852001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>chkdsk /r e:
            The type of the file system is NTFS.
            Volume label is TOSHIBA EXT.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)…
            File verification completed.
            CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)…
            Index verification completed.
            CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)…
            Security descriptor verification completed.
            CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)…
            File data verification completed.
            CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)…
            Free space verification is complete.
            Correcting errors in the uppercase file.
            CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
            master file table (MFT) bitmap.
            Windows has made corrections to the file system.

312569175 KB total disk space.
            188608628 KB in 660552 files.
            204264 KB in 70038 indexes.
            0 KB in bad sectors.
            872267 KB in use by the system.
            65536 KB occupied by the log file.
            122884016 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
            78142293 total allocation units on disk.
            30721004 allocation units available on disk.

C:\>

• Dr. James R. Pannozzi
              May 24, 2012 at 1:06 pm |

I just tried the Toshiba external USB drive after doing the aforementioned checkdsk /r repair which fixed the “free space marked as allocated” error and, unfortunately, PC-BSD 9.0 still refuses to allow access to the drive although it does recognize it. When opening it in Dolphin, the cursor jumps to the root directory. If one clicks on the Toshiba, the cursor again jumps immediately to the root directory.

One other odd bug, I can’t change my time — after entering the new time and giving the root password, I get an error message, “Error setting time zone”. But, whoops, wait a moment, after clicking OK it seems to have taken on the 2d try. Time now displaying correctly (UTC, New York).

OK that’s it for now, thanks!

• May 29, 2012 at 6:58 am |

KDE is so flaky when it comes to setting the time… Hopefully the next version of KDE will sort out the dolphin and the time bugs.

• May 29, 2012 at 6:55 am |

freebsd.orgThanks for the update.

Regarding the gnustep port, are you referring to this one? http://​www​.freebsd​.org/​c​g​i​/​c​v​s​w​e​b​.​c​g​i​/​p​o​r​t​s​/​d​e​v​e​l​/​g​n​u​s​t​ep/

According to Wikipedia, 1.22.0 is the latest version.

• MrEfrem
    May 9, 2012 at 10:25 am |

How to manually download the update to 9.0 and install on your computer, where places without an internet connection?

• May 15, 2012 at 6:19 am |

Currently there isn’t a file that you can download to use later to do the update since the update data varies depending upon the system package configuration.. Kris is still thinking about the design for how to best accomplish this.

• Cane
    May 10, 2012 at 10:15 am |

I tried this snapshot and it has problems with my graphics card (Radeon 9800XT). It identifies it, but somehow it can’t use the default driver. I have tried to set it to “ati-3d-enable” (as i am used to) but it doesn’t work, and defaults to vesa driver. Vesa works though…
    There is no problems with the latest stable version.

• May 15, 2012 at 6:41 am |

Unfortunately, Radeon will continue to be an issue until TTM is ported and we’re not aware of anyone doing that port at this time.

• caindie
    May 10, 2012 at 11:41 am |

Hardware:

Asus K53E-BD4TD notebook, 5+ GB ram, intel icore 5, intel iga, atheros wireless and wired internet.

Os software on system disk.

pcbsd9-stable — ufs,
    win 7,
    suse linux 11.4

Boot manager:

Freebsd boot manager boots directly to pcbsd, win 7 and to grub for linux

Installation:

Installed snapshot on free partition. All hardware detected correctly.

Installer configuration options manually selected:

Gnome desktop;
    installation partition;
    encryption passphrase,

Installer auto-selected zfs and zfs configuration.

All other auto-selections by installer were correct and accepted.

Installation was uneventful.

After additional configuration and “settling in”, system is stable and support for intel iga is very good.

In addition to make.conf xorg additions, as indicated in the snapshot announcement above, other X compilations are necessary to access gpu acceleration properly; for example — an MP4 file played under smplayer with out mplayer xvmc support used over 100% of cpu time — reported by top — but under 12% with mplayer recompiled for xvmc.

Rarely, there are screen artifacts. I’ve experienced them while compiling and playing media. Usually they quickly disappear; if they don’t, manually causing a screen redraw makes them go away.

There are significant battery life problems; battery life for me is cut in half; sometimes worse than that.

The system runs hot; sometimes very hot; the fan seems to always in operation. On pcbsd9-stable this is less of a problem; on linux and win 7, normally the fan is off and the system vents are cool to the touch.

The ports accessibility/redshift package, necessary to correct the lemon yellow screen color which is the default for white on my system, works perfectly; without this package I wouldn’t be able to look at the screen for long.

A problem, reported, which I experienced with pcbsd9-stable using zfs and thunderbird is no longer a problem.

Initially, Nautilus on Gnome would fail when copying data; the copy would start and then the screen would blank; the desktop redrawn and the copy only partially completed on large files. Command line copies, etc worked fine; this problem has cleared up as mysteriously as it began

Initially the file system seemed slow; this too has cleaned itself up. That said, I’m going to add another 4GB of ram; my guess is that I’m a little to close to the minimum zfs requirement of greater than 4GB ram.

I’ve installed various PBIs, compiled much from ports and compiled and installed opendns’s dnscrypt-proxy on 127.0.0.1, which I also use onpcbsd9-stable.

All in all the system is fine.

Except for the heat and battery life problems, I’d consider it production ready; the occasional video artifact doesn’t bother me, though I suppose it might bother others, especially if it occurred frequently.

I have a couple of problems I’m working on that are not related to the snapshot. If I can’t work out a solution, I’ll bring them up in the pc-bsd forum.

The new installer is very good, but at times, when the installation pauses for several minutes, as it did when I installed gnome, the installer provides inadequate feedback about what’s happening. When installing the GDM package, the installation appeared to come to a halt; It took several minutes before a new package name appeared to indicate that the installation was still on going. During that wait, nothing — new — was displayed. The percent of completion for the gdm package and the installation of gnome as a whole did not change. Something was happening; whatever it was should be reflected on the user interface.

PCBSD-9 Release, set-up NTP; this snapshot didn’t; is that a change in the installation or just a missing feature for the snapshot.

The display wizard still fails to restart — if — the video driver it selected is not accepted; this occurs when clicking “NO” instead of “YES” to the wizard’s question about keeping the detected driver. When I clicked “NO” I was shown the monitor resolution and refresh rate and the driver selected by the wizard; in this case Intel3d. I was curious about using a different driver, the intel driver. I selected that and the wizard accepted the choice, blanked the screen and never came back. I rebooted ‚choosing to use the wizard from the boot options screen and accepted the wizard’s choice, which lead to a login prompt. Something like this happened on the pcbsd9 release installation too, so I guess it remains an issue.

Hope the above is useful for developing additional snapshots; look forward to upgrading when they turn up.

I will be using this snapshot for my day to day work.

• May 15, 2012 at 6:15 am |

Thank you for the detailed feedback. We will look into the outstanding issues.

• caindie
    May 12, 2012 at 9:15 am |

Snapshot install on Asus K53E — zfs — reports

GEOM_ELI: Device ada0s4b.eli created.
    GEOM_ELI: Encryption: AES-XTS 128
    GEOM_ELI: Crypto: software

The Asus K53E is a second generation intel i5 machine with hardware aes encryption.

Shouldn’t the crypto framework pick up this fact and pass it on to geli resulting in hardware encryption?

• May 16, 2012 at 6:43 am |

If you have a supported CPU you can type “kldload aesni” and geli will use it. Let us know if this works for you and we’ll add it to the documentation for 9.1.

• caindie
    May 12, 2012 at 11:41 am |

Screen artifacts are more frequent and cover a much larger area than noted in my post above.

Whether this is because of temperature or some aspect of the driver, isn’t clear. Redrawing the screen removes the artifact.

If the problem is temperature related, it may not show up on a well ventilated tower chassis.

I think this needs to be fixed before the 9.1 release.

• Jacob Daniels
    May 13, 2012 at 3:15 am |

Everything works fine , except for two bugs the wm loads rather slow, and at the bootup screen it tells me it’s unable to load some “pci” stuff, I know this is not helpful, but since I use an ssd and my system is recent, the text went too fast!!!
    I will attempt to get you further input, next time I reboot, bit busy at the present

Anyways, I really appreciate the hard work and dedication you guys put into making pc-bsd, makes me have a tear in my eye, really am grateful for your wonderful service!

• Jacob Daniels
      May 14, 2012 at 4:19 am |

ok, back, there were two errors on boot-up
      ppc0-cannot reserve port range
      and I still can’t get that pci one, goes by too fast, sorry but at a glance it looks like can not reserve either

and lxde, the wm takes a minute 15 seconds to load

My system is an AMD phenom2 1075T 8GB of Patriot ram EVGA 520GT video card and 80GB Hitachi HDD

Once Again, Many Thanks for this wonderfully mind blowing distro!

• May 16, 2012 at 6:48 am |

Thanks for the feedback. Kris is looking into the cause of the slow LXDE load issue.

• colby
    May 14, 2012 at 5:25 pm |

I’ve had to discontinue testing the snapshot. Visual artifacts are larger and more numerous; my system runs very hot and has hung several times.

I expect this problem will apply to any laptop using sandy bridge and later intel chip sets.

Maybe a later version of the intel driver will fix the problem. I installed the latest version of linux mint — a recent linux distribution using the mate desktop on debian. There are no heat problems or artifacts; The driver version is X.org xf86-video-intel 2.18.01, a later version than the snapshot contains, but the devil may be in the details.

When the next drm/kms snapshot turns up, I’ll test it and see if it makes a difference.

• Erkan
      May 15, 2012 at 1:02 am |

I’ve not tested the snapshot yet, but using 9.0 official release, these are my observations which seem to coincide how you have battery and fan problems:

Installing 9.0 on two different platforms (1.st: HP 6530b Core2Duo P8400, GMA4500, 2.nd: 8560W witr Core i7-26xxQ something, Ati FirePro graphics), Acpi seems to be broken. Tried various fixes, Acpi throttling en/dis, recompile kernel etc, but did not work.
      Battery monitor seems to be stuck at the value the computer was turned on, ie, the computer was turned on running battery with gauge 55%, this value is displayed even though computer is run for an hour or so. Also inserting power plug, “running on battery” status is not flipped to “Charging“or sth. else. Using terminal and typing “acpiconf –i0 ” gives static values which don’t change over time, stuck at the time the Acpi info was strobed.
      Using FBSD 8.1 with XFCE WM, acpi was working fine on my 6530b.

• May 15, 2012 at 4:52 am |

Thanks for the feedback. If these are both HP systems, see if there is anything in acpi_hp(4) which improves the situation.

• May 15, 2012 at 4:54 am |

Thanks!

• Jacob Daniels
    May 23, 2012 at 6:01 am |

Got 2 New bugs to report:

1: Chrome and Mplayer freeze and become unusable if left inactive for a extended duration of time(13 hours approx. of leaving the program idle)
    2: during the initial install of the testing snapshot, lets say I chose “rodney” as the username, but instead, I get two duplicate instances of the first char, for example it would be “rrodney” instead of “rodney” after the install is complete and your successfully launched the wm

This concludes my latest bug report
    well that’s it for now!

Thanks!

• May 23, 2012 at 6:06 am |

Regarding the freeze, does this happen with any other apps, e.g. could it be ACPI related? What graphics card is in this system?

Regarding the double char, are you using a different locale or keyboard layout? If so, did you set the locale or keyboard during install, after install, or both?

• Jacob Daniels
        May 23, 2012 at 7:44 am |

As for the app problem being ACPI related I really don’t think so, as Firefox doesn’t have this issue I am not a developer so I would not know what the root of the issue could be

And no, I use an american (English) keyboard layout, left it at the default setting during install

Is there any other information that I could give you that could be of any help?

• June 11, 2012 at 9:25 am |

The only thing else we can think of that could cause that is video powersaving. Does running this command fix it? “xset –dpms”

As for the “rrodney” repeating the first letter, this has been fixed for the next snapshot.

• Jacob Daniels
        May 23, 2012 at 7:48 am |

My video card was listed above, when I posted the other bugs
        but I will post it again here, for your convenience:

EVGA (nvidia) 520GT