PC-BSD 9-STABLE-20120524 Snapshot Available
Kris has announced the availability of the next testing snapshot:
The 20120525 snapshot in the PC-BSD 9-STABLE branch has just been released for i386 and amd64 architectures.
This snapshot provides both users and developers a means to test out new features in the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 release. This snapshot may contain buggy code and features, so users are encouraged to run it only on non-critical systems.
Changes since the previous snapshot:
- Based on FreeBSD 9-STABLE from 05-20-2012.
- Add support to Warden for using ZFS snapshots on jails. Now you may create, remove, and rollback previous snapshots of a jail via the command-line and GUI.
- New bottom panel and features in the AppCafe for installed applications.
- Updated the pc-thinclient command. Now you can run this utility to convert your system into a PXE boot server. During the setup you will be prompted if you want to create a remote desktop, or remote install server.
- Added numerous fixes for i18n in our graphical utilities.
- Added some safety checks to ZFS installs.
- New “About” GUI, displays information about system.
- Added initial support for enabling 8021X authentication, still a work in progress.
- Added LDAP/AD support to installed Samba packages.
- Fixed a bug setting firewall rules to “block” causing an invalid configuration file to be created.
- Fixes for rdesktop utility missing some libraries.
- Include new Intel video driver by default again.
Highlights for the upcoming 9.1:
- New system installer is greatly simplified for desktop and server installs.
- New PC-BSD Server installation option. Includes command-line utilities like pbi-manager, warden, metapkgmanager and more.
- Support for ZFS mirror / raidz(1,2,3) during installation.
- Support for SWAP on ZFS, allowing entire disk ZFS installation.
- Support for setting additional ZFS data-set options, such as compression, noexec, etc.
- Warden jail management integrated into system. Allows creating jails via GUI, adding packages and other administration.
- First boot setup wizard allows OEM installs to be easily performed.
- New Bluetooth pairing tray / GUI utilities.
- New AppCafe improvements and preferences
- Improvements to wifi utility.
- Fixed bug causing untranslated strings to show up empty.
- Numerous bug-fixes to PC-BSD related utilities.
- Support for creating PXE boot server for remote desktop and installation.
If you wish to update from 9.0 to this snapshot you may do so by editing /usr/local/share/pcbsd/pc-updatemanager/conf/sysupdate.conf and changing the PATCHSET: variable to “pcbsdtest”. After changing this variable, run the updater utility to download a new update manager. Once this update manager is installed, the online update to the snapshot will appear.
DVD & USB images are available via the PC-BSD mirrors. You may select the mirror and files from here.
Trackback from your site.