May

Update on PC-BSD Localization

Kris sent the following update to the translations mailing list regarding menu localizations:

I wanted to give you a quick status update on some of the changes for Translations in the 9-STABLE snapshots, and eventually PC-BSD 9.1.

First, all languages which are available in Pootle will now be selectable for installation. Should a string not be fully translated, the default English string will be displayed instead. This will allow you to begin testing any/all languages in the upcoming snapshots.

Second, I have removed the “pbimeta.po” file from the translation process. This file had been getting so large, that it was becoming quite unreasonable to expect our translators to tackle it. This means in Pootle now you will see a more accurate representation of the translations progress. I’m currently investigating alternative methods of translating the AppCafe application descriptions.

Third and lastly, I’ve implemented some cleanup functionality into the scripts which sync the strings into Pootle. As a string is modified or removed from our subversion tree, the old string will now be automatically purged from the Pootle database, keeping the number of strings for translation at a manageable amount.

Thanks for all the work you’ve done to translate PC-BSD into other languages! Let us know on the translations mailing list if you have any questions, or run into problems going forward.

Written by dru. Posted in 9.1, translations

• Avadhoot A. Kochikar
    May 3, 2012 at 6:46 am |

Hope 9.1 comes with what I expected. Eagerly waiting for it to be released so that I can get Linux out of my system.

• May 3, 2012 at 7:18 pm |

I switched from Ubuntu to PCBSD months ago and it was the best computer decision I’ve ever made. PCBSD has been extremely stable and user friendly compared to Ubuntu.

I can’t Thank everyone enough who have helped create and continue to improve PCBSD for all of us. :)

• May 4, 2012 at 5:26 am |

Thanks and welcome to the PC-BSD community!

• May 4, 2012 at 6:17 am |

It’s great to be here! :)

• May 3, 2012 at 6:48 am |

What are you expecting?

• Avadhoot A. Kochikar
    May 7, 2012 at 5:54 pm |

What I am expecting:
    Support for my SandyBridge and Intel Drivers, that was missing in PCBSD 9 ( which kept crashing the KDE, I’ve updated them here: http://blog.pcbsd.org/2012/01/pc-bsd-90-released/#comment-1815 ).

• May 9, 2012 at 12:43 pm |

This latest snapshot and going forward should support both. If you get a chance to test, let us know if you experience any issues.

• Avadhoot A. Kochikar
    May 10, 2012 at 5:52 am |

Has the new version arrived? I mean its the PCBSD 9 that has been updated with latest support or 9.1 test version is out? Can you please elaborate?

• Avadhoot A. Kochikar
    May 10, 2012 at 6:30 am |

Thank you!

• Avadhoot A. Kochikar
      June 6, 2012 at 1:23 am |

Hello Dru / All folks,
      I’ve downloaded the latest snapshot namely “PCBSD9-STABLE-20120524-x64-DVD.iso”, however I am unable to view 3G/PPP option in Network Manager, any idea why? Did I miss something? If yes, is there any option to fix it now once the OS is installed? I am unable to connect to network due to this. I’ve also gone through the handbook. Please let me know if you need any config details from my side.

• June 6, 2012 at 6:28 am |

Yes, this was removed on May 10th with the commit message “this will need to go into its own GUI, if and when at the time we have a dev who can run / test this functionality.”

• Avadhoot A. Kochikar
          June 6, 2012 at 2:02 pm |

Ok, is there anyway I can connect to internet till then? I tried google and got a suggestion to add entry into /etc/ppp/ppp.conf… but that too didn’t help.. Do you need some help in testing from myself? I am from India and my connection provider is BSNL / Dataone.

• Avadhoot A. Kochikar
          June 8, 2012 at 7:10 am |

Dru, can you please suggest any alternative for way to get to connect to internet? Or do I need to download the old “stable” release?

• June 11, 2012 at 7:36 am |

freebsd.orgUntil we can get a dev with the hardware for testing, there is the PPP section of the FreeBSD Handbook: http://​www​.freebsd​.org/​d​o​c​/​e​n​_​U​S​.​I​S​O​8859​-​1​/​b​o​o​k​s​/​h​a​n​d​b​o​o​k​/​p​p​p​-​a​n​d​-​s​l​i​p​.​h​tml. It’s thorough and will walk you through a configuration, but command line only.

• Avadhoot A. Kochikar
              June 11, 2012 at 8:14 am |

Thank you for the same… I am trying to configure it manually through editing ppp.conf but I am unable to connect. I have Atheros network card on my laptop.. I see alc0 details of IP address configured correctly.. however I gt a deflink error when trying to connect. I’ll go through the above link and get back to you.. Thanks again.

• June 11, 2012 at 8:20 am |

Let us know what luck you have. If you get stuck, it’s worth starting a thread at forums​.pcbsd​.org as there is more room there to post your configs and more people available to help you troubleshoot them.

• Avadhoot A. Kochikar
                  June 11, 2012 at 8:58 am |

sure! I’ll update you with the status.

• Avadhoot A. Kochikar
                  June 13, 2012 at 3:51 am |

Dru, was able to successfully connect to internet… probably the newer snapshot did the trick… didn’t get any more deflink errors… but internet seems to be a bit slow… I think something related to network adapter config… will trouble shoot that… Thank you!

• June 13, 2012 at 4:43 am |

Thanks for the update!

• Bubbler Pinkwink
    May 20, 2012 at 11:23 am |

I just downloaded and installed 32-bit DVD 9.0 a couple weeks ago. No problems. When 9.1 comes out will I have to download the whole thing (9.1) and install that one or is there a rolling upgrade available?