20120605 Snapshot Now Available
Kris has announced the next snapshot in the testing series:
The next 20120605 snapshot in the PC-BSD 9-STABLE branch has just been released for i386 and amd64 architectures.
This snapshot provides both users and developers a means to test out new features in the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 release. This snapshot may contain buggy code and features, so users are encouraged to run it only on non-critical systems.
Changes since the previous Snapshot:
- FreeBSD 9-STABLE from 05-30-2012
- KDE 4.8
- Fix a bug causing installer to lockup near end of installation
- Fix setup for 8021X configuration via GUI
- Update font configuration to enable AA by default
- Fix bugs doing updates to packages inside of the warden
- Allow new ZFS dataset options during installation
- Bugfixes and enhancements to the update tray notifier
- Check jails for updates via the tray application automatically
- Switch us to using http:// instead of ftp:// for updating, which allows proxy users to connect
- Fixed bug enabling the static IP section via ethernet GUI
- Add support for unattended installs via thinclient PXE
- Add better Proxy configuration via GUI, will now set HTTP_PROXY universally across the system
Highlights for the upcoming 9.1:
- New system installer! Greatly simplified for desktop and server installs.
- New “PC-BSD Server” installation option. Includes command-line utilities like pbi-manager, warden, metapkgmanager and more.
- Support for ZFS mirror / raidz(1,2,3) during installation.
- Support for SWAP on ZFS, allowing entire disk ZFS installation.
- Support for setting additional ZFS data-set options, such as compression, noexec, etc.
- Warden jail management integrated into system. Allows creating jails via GUI, adding packages and other administration.
- First boot setup wizard allows OEM installs to be easily performed.
- New Bluetooth paring tray / GUI utilities.
- New AppCafe improvements and preferences.
- Improvements to wifi utility.
- Fixed bug causing untranslated strings to show up empty.
- Numerous bug-fixes to PC-BSD related utilities.
- Support for creating PXE boot server for remote desktop and installation.
- ZFS beadm support.
- And much more!
Users running previous snapshots may update now via the online
updater. You will first need to apply the “Update Manager” 20120606 update, then the snapshot update will appear.
If you wish to update from 9.0 to this snapshot you may do so by
file and changing the PATCHSET: variable to pcbsdtest.
After changing this variable, you may run the updater utility, to
download a new update manager. Once this update manager is installed, the online update to the snapshot will appear.
There is a bug installing the PC-BSD Server on ZFS right now. If you wish to do so, you will need to remove the ZFS /root dataset beforehand. This will be fixed in the next snapshot.
The VirtualBox OSE additions are not included in this snapshot due to a bug in 9-STABLE. They will be included in the next release.
If it fails to download any additional packages / desktops post-installation, run the following command as root:
pbreg set /PC-BSD/Version 9-STABLE-20120605
The DVD & USB images are available via the PC-BSD mirrors. You may select the mirror and files from this URL.
Trackback from your site.