9-STABLE 20120622 Now Available for Testing
Kris has announced the availability of the next testing snapshot:
The next 20120622 snapshot in the PC-BSD 9-STABLE branch has just been released for i386 and amd64 architectures.
This snapshot provides both users and developers a means to test out new features in the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 release. This snapshot may contain buggy code and features, so users are encouraged to run it only on non-critical systems.
Changes since the previous Snapshot:
- FreeBSD 9-STABLE from 06-15-2012.
- KDE 4.8.3.
- Fixed a bug creating a /root ZFS dataset on the Server install.
- Fixed a crash in install GUI if using custom pkg set, and going back steps.
- Exclude /etc/pam.d and /usr/local/etc/pam.d from being overwritten during upgrades.
- Fixed an upgrade bug, causing some files to not get overwritten properly.
- Change detection for wifi when showing tray application.
- Set default volume to 100:100 on first boot.
- Fix displaying static IP addresses in GUI.
- Improve network restart functionality, should now properly add default route, and fix issue with losing connectivity after restarting with a static IP.
- Visually improve the AppCafe homescreen layout.
- Add default configurations for i3 / windowlab WM’s.
- Add new service manager GUI to warden, allows enabling, and starting / stopping services inside a jail.
- Add ability to cleanup thinclient installation.
- Improve the install image to not use MFS root, instead operates 100% identical to early stages of FreeBSD installer.
- Shrink memory requirements of installation, can now install with UFS on systems with ~256MB of RAM.
- Add initial support to Warden CLI for creating Linux jails
Highlights for the upcoming 9.1:
- New system installer! Greatly simplified for desktop and server installs.
- New “PC-BSD Server” installation option. Includes command-line utilities like pbi-manager, warden, metapkgmanager and more.
- Support for ZFS mirror / raidz(1,2,3) during installation.
- Support for SWAP on ZFS, allowing entire disk ZFS installation.
- Support for setting additional ZFS data-set options, such as compression, noexec, etc.
- Warden jail management integrated into system. Allows creating jails via GUI, adding packages and other administration.
- First boot setup wizard allows OEM installs to be easily performed.
- New Bluetooth paring tray / GUI utilities.
- New AppCafe improvements and preferences.
- Improvements to wifi utility.
- Fixed bug causing untranslated strings to show up empty.
- Numerous bug-fixes to PC-BSD related utilities.
- Support for creating PXE boot server for remote desktop and installation.
- ZFS beadm support
- And much more!
Users running previous snapshots may update now via the online updater. You will first need to apply the “Update Manager” 20120622 update, then the snapshot update will appear.
If you wish to update from 9.0 to this snapshot you may do so by editing the /usr/local/share/pcbsd/pc-updatemanager/conf/sysupdate.conf file and changing the PATCHSET: variable to “pcbsdtest”.
After changing this variable, you may run the updater utility, to download a new update manager. Once this update manager is installed, the online update to the snapshot will appear.
Note: The AMD64 snapshot appears as 20120621 on the mirrors, but it is the same as the 20120622 i386 version.
The DVD & USB images are available via the PC-BSD mirrors. You may select the mirror and files from this URL.
Trackback from your site.