Jul

9.1-BETA1 Now Available

BETA1 images for the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 are now available for the i386 and amd64 architectures!

This beta provides both users and developers a means to test out new features in the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 release. This snapshot may contain buggy code and features, so users are encouraged to run it only on non-critical systems.

Changes since the previous snapshot:

• FreeBSD 9.1-BETA1
  • KDE 4.8.4
  • Support for Warden to create Linux Jails (Debian & Gentoo support included)
  • Fixed a bug with mouse cursor fonts changing over some tray apps
  • Correct some bugs with mouse not being detected after display wizard
  • Add new “TrueOS” server option, alongside FreeBSD Vanilla.
  • Display detected video resolution / driver on confirmation screen
  • Add new IPv4 / IPv6 validation to address fields
  • Fix bugs exporting / importing jails via Warden
  • Add new Hardware Compatibility Check GUI, which is available during install and via Control Panel
  • Add new Sound Configuration GUI, which lets user select and test different sound devices
  • Add NVIDIA legacy drivers for cards older than 810 years (32bit only)
  • Added option to “mount/clone” jail snapshots via the Warden

Highlights for the upcoming 9.1-Release:

• FreeBSD 9.1
  • KDE 4.8.4
  • New system installer! Greatly simplified for desktop and server installs.
  • New “PC-BSD Server” installation option. Includes command-line utilities like pbi-manager, warden, metapkgmanager and more.
  • Support for ZFS mirror / raidz(1,2,3) during installation.
  • Support for SWAP on ZFS, allowing entire disk ZFS installation.
  • Support for setting additional ZFS data-set options, such as compression, noexec, etc.
  • Warden jail management integrated into system. Allows creating jails via GUI, adding packages and other administration.
  • Support for Warden to create Linux Jails
  • New “Sound Configuration GUI”
  • New “Hardware compatibility” GUI
  • First boot setup wizard allows OEM installs to be easily performed.
  • New Bluetooth paring tray / GUI utilities.
  • New AppCafe improvements and preferences
  • Improvements to wifi utility
  • Fixed bug causing untranslated strings to show up empty.
  • Numerous bug-fixes to PC-BSD related utilities
  • Support for creating PXE boot server for remote desktop and installation.
  • ZFS beadm support
  • And much more!

Errata:

Users running previous snapshots may upgrade now via the online updater. You will first need to apply the “Update Manager” 20120718 update, then the beta1 update will appear.

If you wish to update from 9.0 to this snapshot you may do so by editing the /usr/local/share/pcbsd/pc-updatemanager/conf/sysupdate.conf file and changing the PATCHSET: variable to pcbsdtest.

After changing this variable, you may run the updater utility, to download a new update manager. Once this update manager is installed, the online update to the beta will appear.

Written by dru. Posted in 9.1, testers

• ememem
    July 18, 2012 at 7:00 am |

- Add NVIDIA legacy drivers for cards older than 810 years (32bit only)

Glad to see you could fit it in.

• July 18, 2012 at 11:27 am |

Unable to load Kernel error message:
    Help please! :) I just installed this Beta and did the required reboot. The complete info I see on the boot screen is:

malloc area: 0xcfc76000 - 0xcff76000

FreeBSD/x86 bootstrap loader , Revision 1.1
    (root@build9x64.pcbsd.org, Tue Dec 27 13:09:45 PST 2011)
    Loading /boot/defaults/loader.conf
    Unable to load a kernel!

can’t load ‘kernel’

Type ‘?’ for a list of commands, ‘help’ for more detailed help.
    OK

AMD 8-core with 8Gig of ram.

Any ideas please? Thanks a lot. :)

• July 31, 2012 at 6:48 am |

[Solved]
      Update: Think my 9.1-BETA1 download or install was just corrupted somehow, or something else. I tried doing a complete reinstall from scratch starting with PC-BSD 9.0 and 9.1-BETA1 has been working awesomely, Thanks everyone. :)

• July 31, 2012 at 6:57 am |

Glad to hear it!

• Efrem
    July 19, 2012 at 12:07 am |

When you start the gdm error:
    1. Could not update ICEauthority file / usr / local / etc / gdm / home / .ICEauthority
    2. There was a problem with the configuration server. (/ usr/local/libexec/gconf-sanity-check-2 ended with a state 256)

• July 19, 2012 at 5:39 am |

Was this a fresh install? If it was an upgrade, which version/snapshot did you upgrade from?

• Rob2
        July 19, 2012 at 10:22 am |

It is from a fresh install, I have the same problem.

• Efrem
        July 21, 2012 at 3:49 am |

Yes, it is from a fresh install.

• Efrem
    July 19, 2012 at 1:33 am |

Can not switch to console with keyboard shortcuts Ctrl-Atl-F1 — Ctrl-Atl-F8

• July 19, 2012 at 6:41 am |

Are you running intel video? This is a known problem with it, that it disable the console.

• Efrem
        July 21, 2012 at 3:52 am |

Yes, intel gma x3100

• Chris
    July 24, 2012 at 7:31 am |

I use a cell phone to tether in Ubuntu. Are there any plans to setup a mobile broadband utility so that we can connect to the Inet?
    It’s easy in Ubuntu with Gnome-Nm-applet. Seems that the kdenetwork manager has a known problem with this type of connection. Not just in BSD.
    The system sees my cellphone (Motorola) but assigns it to ugen. (no ttyACM0)
    I have used PC-BSD before with DSL and I think it is great. Just cannot get online. Very frustrating.

• July 25, 2012 at 8:35 am |

At the moment we do not have plans to implement a PPP / mobile broadband utility. The problem is that none of the current devs use one, or have any expertise as to how it should function. However we are open to volunteers, and I will be happy to work with anybody who wants to develop such a tool.

• Chris
        July 25, 2012 at 11:30 am |

Thanks for the reply. Would it be easier to port the gnome network manager, then? It has mobile broadband builtin. In the forums and on the Inet I see inquiries from kde users because the kdenetwork program has issues with mobile broadband. (Kubuntu, OpenSuse etc) The Internet service is a lot cheaper and mobile with a cell phone which causes me surprise that no-one else seems interested in this. For example with At&t unlimited internet (Ha!) is a “no-charge” with the go-phone voice service.Thanks for the reply. Would it be easier to port the gnome network manager, then? It has mobile broadband builtin. In the forums and on the Inet I see inquiries from kde users because the kdenetwork program has issues with mobile broadband. (Kubuntu, OpenSuse etc) The Internet service is a lot cheaper and mobile with a cell phone which causes me surprise that no-one else seems interested in this. For example with At&t unlimited internet (Ha!) is a “no-charge” with the go-phone voice service.
        Makes it great if you have to travel around.
        Or, in the alternative, is gnome available for pc-bsd as a pbi

Thanks for your time. It is greatly appreciated.

Makes it great if you have to travel around.Thanks for the reply. Would it be easier to port the gnome network manager, then? It has mobile broadband builtin. In the forums and on the Inet I see inquiries from kde users because the kdenetwork program has issues with mobile broadband. (Kubuntu, OpenSuse etc) The Internet service is a lot cheaper and mobile with a cell phone which causes me surprise that no-one else seems interested in this. For example with At&t unlimited internet (Ha!) is a “no-charge” with the go-phone voice service.
        Makes it great if you have to travel around.
        Or, in the alternative, is gnome available for pc-bsd as a pbi

Thanks for your time. It is greatly appreciated.

Or, in the alternative, is gnome available for pc-bsd as a pbi. My personal preference is KDE but I can just as easily use the KDE programs from gnome.

Thanks for your time. It is greatly appreciated.

• July 30, 2012 at 8:17 am |

It would definitely to be ported as the existing gnome network manager makes Linux networking assumptions which are very different from BSD networking. Ditto for the KDE network manager. The PC-BSD network manager is the first GUI that understands BSD networking.

• Fritz
    July 24, 2012 at 10:16 am |

I heard a rumor that ATI video support would be included in 9.1, but I haven’t seen any mention of it in the Changes and Highlights noted above. I hope it gets included. I see a lot of OEM’s shifting to ATI cards, possibly due to pricing (Mac and HP are notable here).

Thanks.

• July 24, 2012 at 11:04 am |

ATI relies on TTM and that work for FreeBSD has not started yet :-(

• Cromat
        July 25, 2012 at 1:49 pm |

What about older ATI cards, Mobility Radeon x1450 for example? Are they supported?

• July 26, 2012 at 6:49 am |

You’ll have to test with your particular card, but older ATI should be better supported than the new stuff.

• dewey
    July 24, 2012 at 11:22 am |

i’m currently running the 20120622 snapshot, and have installed the –server variant (no gui, so no gui tools). how would i go about installing the “Update Manager” 20120718 update and then upgrading without these gui tools?

• July 24, 2012 at 12:03 pm |

Use the pc-updatemanager CLI utility. Type it without any arguments and it will display its usage.

• dewey
        July 24, 2012 at 1:19 pm |

that utility doesn’t appear to be included with the –server install.

• dewey
          July 25, 2012 at 7:17 am |

after downloading/building that utility from source, the upgrade appears to have been successful.

• […] 9.1-BETA1 available for testing Posted on July 25, 2012 by Gerard The PC-BSD Team has announced BETA1 of the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 and the images have […]

• kapz
    July 27, 2012 at 1:14 am |

Last version of PC-BSD I tried was 7.2, it was very unstable then…anyway I am sure that must have improved but what I realy want to know is the package size(.pbi files) still bigger than the linux packages(like a .deb file), in version 7.2, the size of audacious program was 22.0 MB vs ~2.0 MB in linux. Thanks.

• Brice
    August 3, 2012 at 1:14 pm |

There are some localization problems in this beta.
    First, the language and keyboard are asked twice during the installation : once at the beginning and a second time after the reboot.

Then, when I arrive on the desktop (KDE), everything is in English and the keyboard layout is set to US. I switch it to french, but this applies only to the currently opened application : each time I open another application, it switches back to US. Everything on the screen is written in English (despite the fact I had asked for french TWICE during the installation) and, when I try to change this in the KDE settings, the only available language is American English.

Thanks for the great work you do with PC-BSD but such problems need to be fixed before the release, don’t they ?

• August 6, 2012 at 6:07 am |

The first is by design, to allow for automated, OEM, or any type of install where one person installs and a different end-user reboots for the first time.

For localization, pootle​.pcbsd​.org will show the status of any language. These localizations deal with all the PC-BSD GUIs e.g. the icons that show up in Control Panel. For the desktop itself, the localization will be done by that project. For example, you can see what has been localized to French at http://​websvn​.kde​.org/​t​r​u​n​k​/​l​10​n​-​k​d​e​4​/​fr/. Anything not translated will appear in English.

Regarding the KDE settings, double check that KDE-L10N is selected in Control Panel -> System Manager -> System Packages -> KDE as it is not selected by default.

Where are you selecting the layout? e.g. during install, post-install, or somewhere within a logged in desktop?

• Brice
        August 6, 2012 at 12:08 pm |

Thank you for your answer.

I know about Pootle, and already contributed to it. Very well done, by the way… The status for french is very good, there.

It’s strange to read that the translation package for the selected desktop is not installed by default. You could automate this if you asked the user which language(s) will be used on the system after its installation.

About the keyboard layout, I first asked for AZERTY at the beginning of the installation process. I did it again after the reboot, just before logging in.

But the KDE desktop opens with a small american flag in the right corner. When I click it, it switches to a french flag. But each time I open an application, it switches back to the american flag, and when I hit the A key, I get a Q instead.

This problem is even worse with the Xfce desktop, where these flags don’t appear at all, and where my keyboard sticks to QWERTY.

• August 8, 2012 at 2:08 pm |

Thank you for the continued feedback. We’ll look into the remaining issues, to see if the DE itself is overwriting the GDM settings and if there is any way to prevent that.

On a related note, 9.2 will have a PC-BSD login manager (it will not finished in time for 9.1 as it is being written from scratch) which should resolve all login issues.

• renegadeviking
    August 6, 2012 at 9:46 am |

My Broadcom 802.11n laptop adapter won’t work in PC-BSD 9.0. Make it work in 9.1 please

• August 6, 2012 at 9:52 am |

I doubt it will as I’m not aware of any new Broadcom support in FreeBSD.

• renegadeviking
    August 8, 2012 at 6:02 pm |

I hate Koffice, it doesn’t have docx support. Give me Libreoffice 3.x instead off install DVD.

• August 12, 2012 at 5:26 am |

There aren’t any additional applications on the DVD, just what gets installed with a “system component”. i.e. KOffice is part of KDE and gets installed if you select Desktops -> KDE -> KDE-KOffice (you can uninstall that by going to the same place in System Manager -> System Packages). In 9.1, KOffice is deprecated and replaced by KDE-Calligra which does support docx.

Both Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice can be installed using AppCafe.

• Efrem
    August 11, 2012 at 2:47 am |

In case of character input “_” in the KDE Konsole, it isn’t displayed on the screen, looks as whitespace character.

• August 12, 2012 at 5:28 am |

Has the locale or keyboard variant been changed? Is it a font size issue?

• Efrem
        August 12, 2012 at 11:26 pm |

You right, this is font size issue. My locale is RU.

• Walter
    August 14, 2012 at 10:04 am |

With this BETA my console get flooded by this message:

Aug 14 18:59:00 pcbsd kernel: [drm:KMS:pid0:output_poll_execute] [CONNECTOR:11:VGA-1] status updated from 2 to 2
    Aug 14 18:59:00 pcbsd kernel: [drm:KMS:pid0:intel_sdvo_debug_write] SDVOB: W: 0B (SDVO_CMD_GET_ATTACHED_DISPLAYS)
    Aug 14 18:59:00 pcbsd kernel: [drm:KMS:pid0:intel_sdvo_read_response] SDVOB: R: (Success) 00 00
    Aug 14 18:59:00 pcbsd kernel: [drm:KMS:pid0:intel_sdvo_detect] SDVO response 0 0 [1]
    Aug 14 18:59:00 pcbsd kernel: [drm:KMS:pid0:output_poll_execute] [CONNECTOR:14:DVI-D-1] status updated from 2 to 2
    Aug 14 18:59:00 pcbsd kernel: [drm:KMS:pid0:output_poll_execute] [CONNECTOR:15:SVIDEO-1] status updated from 2 to 2

• August 15, 2012 at 12:00 pm |

Does running this command stop those messages?

sysctl hw.dri.debug=0

If so, we’ll add that sysctl value.

• Walter
        August 15, 2012 at 2:11 pm |

Hi dru.
        Yes, changing this sysctl worked. The message is not displayed anymore. Thank you.

I just found another bug which should already been fixed in 9-STABLE 20120622.
        If I restart my network, I have to manually add the default route to get back access to the network. (static ip)

• August 21, 2012 at 7:42 am |

That sysctl value has been added to the build. Kris is looking into the static IP issue.

• Walter
            August 23, 2012 at 9:20 am |

OK. Adding this sysctl to /etc/sysctl.conf does not work for me. On startup my system complains that there is no such sysctl. I double checked if I had a typo in sysctl.conf, but I didn´t.

• August 24, 2012 at 5:39 am |

Hmm, interesting that it worked before but not now. Are you still being flooded by those messages?

• Walter
                August 24, 2012 at 9:22 am |

Don´t get me wrong. I want to say that it works if I manually type “sysctl hw.dri.debug=0″. But not if I add it to /etc/sysctl.conf.

• Andy
    August 14, 2012 at 4:19 pm |

Thank you for the hard work.
    I tried the live CD but using LXDE I see only WEP encryption options on the Network Administration Panel (no WAP, WAP2, etc…). Please, fix it on the next release!

• John
    August 17, 2012 at 7:29 am |

When I installed from the usb image it hung on the nvidia install and then after a restart could not put this into rw access until reformatted. I installed using the DVD image and seemed to work but it does not let me chose any thing other then vesa which sucks since I bought an nvidia card some time ago. It would also be nice to have the ports install again. I can do it under the PBI part but then it does not show up so can not install from ports like I need citrix to work for work.

• August 21, 2012 at 7:38 am |

Which model of NVIDIA? Is this a 32 or 64 bit system? Regarding ports, you can install using System Manager or by typing “portsnap fetch extract”.

• John
        August 21, 2012 at 11:43 am |

I was using the 64 bit version. You are right I could do this but the beta comes with the drivers but it does not recognize the video card. When I last used pcbsd it did not recognize my video card as well but at the time I was using an ATI video card and kept hearing that those are not recognized wll so when it died I bought a nvidia geforce gt 440 which is an older video card so should be easily recognized. I will probably give it a go at some point but will have to see if I can get citrix working on it as well which I know is on freshports so will try again some day.

• August 22, 2012 at 6:50 am |

When you get a chance, what does Hardware Compatibility (in Control Panel) say about the video? Does it recognize it as an NVIDIA or as a VESA? Also, did the NVIDIA driver get installed? You can check in System Manager -> System Packages -> Hardware-Drivers.

• John
            August 22, 2012 at 8:55 am |

I will have to reinstall as I went with some thing else so I could attempt to use citrix. The problem I had was with the first reboot after the install as it made me select VESA as this is all I could get to work. The screen looked pretty bad and continued to do this all the way through. I have the DVD still so will do the reinstall now and get back to you on this.

• John
              August 22, 2012 at 9:34 am |

I reinstalled and this time it seemed to work as I kept the settings that it recognized. Before when asked I clicked on no as I do not like 1280x1024. This is the point that things went downhill. I guess if I keep things like it wants then every thing is fine.

• August 22, 2012 at 9:37 am |

Glad to hear you had better luck this time.

• tamudude
    August 21, 2012 at 6:30 pm |

My previous snapshot install only shows updatemanager-20120717 as an update. When I run the update it gives me the following error;
    fetch: ftp://​akane​.desync​.com/​p​u​b​/​p​c​b​s​d​/​s​y​s​t​e​m​-​u​p​d​a​t​e​s​/​n​o​a​r​c​h​/​u​p​d​a​t​e​m​a​n​a​g​e​r​-​20120717​.​txz: Syntax error, command unrecognized
    I changed the default mirrors but no luck. What gives?

• John
    August 22, 2012 at 8:52 am |

Their is either a problem with the US mirrors or you have released the RC1 already. The problem is that when I click on any of the US mirrors I get AMD64 and that is it. I click on it and nothing exist in it. If I go to the parent directory then it shows the RC1 folder and when I click on this I get both the i386 and the AMD64 folders. These have both in them and they are from August the 16th.