New Features for the Impatient

FreeBSD/PC-BSD 9.1 are due out by the end of the summer and we are getting close to issuing the first BETA for 9.1. In anticipation of code freeze, Kris is busy getting in the last of the features. Over the next few weeks, we’ll highlight some of the cooler features coming in 9.1.

For those of you who would like to try out the features before BETA1 is released, instructions for building an updated control panel are provided below for both PC-BSD and FreeBSD systems. These have been tested on 9.0.

For PC-BSD, in System Manager -> System Packages make sure that Development -> Development-Qt and Development-VCS are installed. You’ll also need to install system source in System Manager -> Tasks.

For FreeBSD, make sure that you have /usr/src/sys and the following packages are installed:

Once the dependent software is installed, become the superuser, cd to a directory suitable for downloading the PC-BSD src, and run these commands:

svn co svn://svn.pcbsd.org/pcbsd/current/src-qt4
cd src-qt4/libpcbsd/
qmake-qt4 *.pro
make install
cd ..
qmake-qt4 *.pro
make install

Some icons also rely on updated scripts which can be built using these commands from the original download directory:

svn co svn://svn.pcbsd.org/pcbsd/current/src-sh
cd src-sh
make install

On a PC-BSD system, Control Panel will be updated and available from the GUI. On a FreeBSD system, you can start Control Panel by typing pc-controlpanel from an X session. You can also start individual control panel icons using the commands listed in /usr/local/bin/pc-*.

Written by dru. Posted in 9.1, testers

• Ira Taylor
    July 11, 2012 at 1:53 pm |

I updated and now my network config says that my ethernet is down even though it is up. Also the sound config does not work, needs root permissions to function. Too bad i can’t uninstall the change. Waiting for BETA, still on 605 snapshot cause I am using intel video.

• chris
    July 11, 2012 at 4:14 pm |

I did the sound config fix, but……………..
    [code]cd pc-sounddetect/ && /usr/local/bin/qmake-qt4 /usr/home/chris/build/src-qt4/pc-sounddetect/pc-sounddetect.pro -o Makefile
    cd pc-sounddetect/ && make -f Makefile
    gcc -c -pipe -O2 -Wall -W -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/local/share/qt4/mkspecs/freebsd-g++ -I. -I/usr/local/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/local/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/local/include/qt4 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/libxml2 -I/usr/local/include/curl -I. -I/usr/local/include/qt4 -I/usr/local/include -o parse_sound.o parse_sound.c
    parse_sound.c: In function ‘GetKo':
    parse_sound.c:35: warning: pointer targets in return differ in signedness
    parse_sound.c:25: warning: ‘key’ may be used uninitialized in this function
    gcc -c -pipe -O2 -Wall -W -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/local/share/qt4/mkspecs/freebsd-g++ -I. -I/usr/local/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/local/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/local/include/qt4 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/libxml2 -I/usr/local/include/curl -I. -I/usr/local/include/qt4 -I/usr/local/include -o sound_detect.o sound_detect.c
    sound_detect.c:22:41: error: /usr/src/sys/dev/pci/pcireg.h: No such file or directory
    sound_detect.c: In function ‘look_for_soundcard':
    sound_detect.c:47: warning: unused variable ‘kldload_status’
    sound_detect.c:41: warning: unused variable ‘none_count’
    *** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/home/chris/build/src-qt4/pc-sounddetect.
    *** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/home/chris/build/src-qt4.[/code]

• July 11, 2012 at 4:44 pm |

Sorry about that–forgot to mention that /usr/ports is a pre-requisite. Will add that to the body of the blog post.

• chris
        July 11, 2012 at 6:19 pm |

I did portsnap fetch and portsanp extract, but with the same results.

• July 11, 2012 at 6:51 pm |

Correct, that will grap ports, but not src. And now I see my typo…. Fixing once again.

• chris
    July 11, 2012 at 8:54 pm |

• January 17, 2014 at 10:51 am |

Gentoo Linux jails would be a nicety.

docs for converting Debian to Gentoo are up on the web….
    Unpack stage 3 on linux FS locail
    /usr/portage <<<< portage-current-version…gz

having Gentoo as an option directly a plus++

• January 24, 2014 at 3:52 pm |

Yup, Gentoo is one of the provided jail scripts :-)