Jul

Unixmen Interview: BSD For Human Beings?

Unixmen has posted their interview with Kris Moore. In it, Kris discusses why he started the PC-BSD project, why it is based on FreeBSD, and some of the advantages it provides over a user-friendly Linux distro.

Written by dru. Posted in interview

• July 17, 2012 at 8:57 pm |

trying to find a stable “base OS” for the PBI software, something with a very stable ABI, allowing applications to run on current and future versions. Add in the rock-solid stability, security and it was an easy decision.“
    and:
    “If the user is looking for a leading industry standard firewall, then the included “pf” firewall is an important factor. If the user wants a simple package management system, which eliminates the dependency issue, and ensure that applications can’t and won’t corrupt your working desktop, then we can offer the PBI system. If the user wants to run web-facing services, in a secure and fast non-virtualized environment, then the jail system has a lot to offer.“
    = Totally awesome and precisely why I switched from Linux.

At this current time, the ratio of people asking us to keep Gnome 2 vs Gnome 3 is about 101
    = I’m also one of the people who prefer Gnome 2 over Gnome 3 and Unity, etc.. A simple desktop that’s easy to navigate is awesome. To me, all of the bells and whistles those others have are a distraction. Don’t need a fancy desktop with windows that appear to ‘wiggle’ as you move them around on the screen, LoL.

In 9.1 we also include a new “System Checker”, available on the first install screen. This utility will quickly test your system, confirming that drivers are available and working for your particular hardware.“
    = Very cool. :)

• Antares
    August 21, 2012 at 2:06 am |

I have installed PC-BSD on my netbook in a multiboot configuration (as a rather unsophisticated user) and the more I use it, the more I like it !!

• August 22, 2012 at 6:59 am |

Glad to hear it!

• Johan Krüger Haglert
    August 27, 2012 at 11:08 pm |

Maybe they should port Mate then for people like you?

Personally I found it strange they didn’t had Gnome 3 already.

One minor (4.8 vs 4.9) version of KDE behind to I believe.

• August 28, 2012 at 4:36 am |

Just a note that the ports for both gnome3 and mate are in progress and will most likely be ready by end of year.

• PG
    September 20, 2012 at 2:32 pm |

PC-BSD is an excellent effort! But, if I may ask, what about ATi cards support? Especially, what about KMS/GEM/DRM? Any plans for the (near) future?

• PG
    September 20, 2012 at 2:34 pm |

I am asking because I do really thinking of using it, but I am a bit reluctant since my laptop carries a Mobility Radeon.

• September 24, 2012 at 6:12 am |

This will improve with TTM and ATI KMS, but these probably won’t be available until FreeBSD 10.

• October 8, 2012 at 5:01 am |

A couple of years ago, not able to set up WiFi and had to use Linux. But the policy of manufacturers distributions brought me back to BSD. Thanks to the developers. Used Google translate, sorry if that is badly written.