Aug

PC-BSD 9.1-RC1 Now Available

Kris has announced the availability of RC1:

The RC1 images for the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 are now available for i386 and amd64 architectures.

This release candidate provides both users and developers a means to test out new features in the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 release. This snapshot may contain buggy code and features, so users are encouraged to run it only on non-critical systems.

Changes since the previous beta:

• Based on FreeBSD 9.1-RC1.
  • Added new functionality to the warden client. You can now schedule daily / hourly creation of jail snapshots. You may also set the number of days worth of jails you wish to keep.  Old jail snapshots will be removed automatically.
  • Improve the shutdown scripts to make sure we unmount, even if the jail was manually stopped.
  • Added Active Directory / LDAP backend and GUI utility.
  • Fixed a number of bugs relating to jail creation / management.
  • Auto-enable the flash plugin when creating new users.
  • Added some initial packages to TrueOS, such as sudo / bash and others.
  • Bugfixes to AppCafe.
  • Fixed Window Maker startup issues.
  • Added the Enlightenment (E17) desktop as an unsupported desktop meta-package.
  • Added lots of new packages for TrueOS / Warden.

Errata:

If you wish to update from 9.0 to RC1 you may do so by editing the /usr/local/share/pcbsd/pc-updatemanager/conf/sysupdate.conf file and changing the PATCHSET: variable to pcbsdtest.

After changing this variable, you may run the updater utility, to download a new update manager. Once this update manager is installed, the online update to the RC1 version will appear.

If you find any bugs in this snapshot, please report them to the testing mailing list.

This version contains a first draft of the upcoming 9.1 Handbook. This draft is not complete, the sections are not hyperlinked, and sections that are still be written/tested are highlighted in yellow. The next RC will contain a more recent draft.

Written by dru. Posted in 9.1, testers

• SoloRolo
    August 23, 2012 at 3:29 pm |

After that I just re-installed some ports, also no problems, as most of the source files were already downloaded in distfiles folder.

I have a Optimus laptop, so the only real hassle was that I had to modify /usr/local/etc/rc.d/gdm to not do the detection tests for my video card. You may perhaps include an option on installation to disable this detection feature, as it didn’t work for me.

Once again, thanks for a great job!

• August 24, 2012 at 5:31 am |

A Big Thanks to PC-BSD. I’m a long time user of FreeBSD on my production servers. Also, I’m a web developer, and it is so much easier to develop on the same OS as the web server is running on. I had 9.1-BETA installed and received the upgrade notice via Update Manager. It worked like a dream, no glitches, and within one hour my system was running again in graphical mode.”

My upgrade experience from PC-BSD 9.1 BETA to 9.1-RC1 was just as spectacular! :)

Thanks a lot everyone once again. :)

• August 24, 2012 at 6:55 am |

Thanks for the gdm tip. We’ll see if we can get in that skip detect option in time for release.

• August 28, 2012 at 9:20 pm |

I agree completely. That is a brilliant idea. I also agree with the guy above that it is easier to develop on the system you run your server on.

• August 24, 2012 at 3:04 am |

I am just waiting to get driver support in BSD to switch to it :-). Currently using Linux Mint. Linux because of better driver support.

• August 24, 2012 at 5:26 am |

Out of curiosity, which drivers are you waiting for?

• mggabro
        August 24, 2012 at 9:20 am |

I think he is waiting the chance of switching between two cards. Under linux to exist a software (bbswitch) for this.

• bindesh
        August 24, 2012 at 9:44 am |

i had triple boot of pc-bsd, linux, and winxp

i was unable to get android tithering on pcbsd 9. i develop android app n games. so i am using linux mint. i tried to find rndis windows dll method but no relief. i cudn’t go deep into. also i want ati drivers so that i can do opengl programming on bsd. since it needs kms i hope it avail now but for intel only i guess.

• i18n
    August 24, 2012 at 4:20 am |

To add E17 as an alternative desktop manager for Gnome or KDE is a great idea. Nice, slim, fast and an eye catcher. Useful to show others how *BSD can look like.

Thanks to the team.

• bindesh
    August 24, 2012 at 9:52 am |

btw i used bsd 1st this year and i decided it my future os. bsd > linux > windows

i need fglrx only because amd fusion is the only chipset i will favour.

• August 24, 2012 at 4:56 pm |

[…] developers of the PC-BSD project – a distribution based on FreeBSD – have releasedPC-BSD 9.1 RC1. The PC-BSD developers say their 9.1 will include, in addition to the FreeBSD 9.1 enhancements, a […]

• digger
    August 25, 2012 at 6:01 pm |

Just installed pc bsd 9.1. Rebooted fine picked root & user passwors. fine update manager wanted to install update. Took sometime over 45 mins < 2 hrs (had to step out). Then it wanted to reboot. Boot hangs with kernel panic. disabling ACPior safe mode do not help. Suggestions?

• August 27, 2012 at 9:08 am |

Please try again as it should now work. Let us know if you still experience any upgrade issues.

• digger
        August 28, 2012 at 9:30 am |

Thanks for the reply, Dru. However, I shut it down the 3rd or 4th kernel panic. Then got antsy and installed Slackware 14 RC3. Might have another go at PC-BSD 9.1 once Slackware 14 goes final, or even FreeBSD proper once 9.1 is ready and just deal with the post-install configuration. Thanks again.

• pieromath
    August 27, 2012 at 4:36 am |

I want switch to it! But plz, let me know how I can use usb internet key.

• TJ
    August 28, 2012 at 5:28 am |

Is it possible to set up swap encryption in the installer so that it generates random keys on every boot?

• August 29, 2012 at 5:26 am |

The pc-sysinstall back-end already has support to do this for regular non-ZFS swap areas. Kris will see about adding that to the GUI here soon, so if the user enables encryption, it automatically turns this knob on.

• September 6, 2012 at 5:02 am |

Clarification from Kris: This is done by default. Swap is randomly encrypted with each boot, if you enable encryption during installation.

• August 28, 2012 at 11:22 am |

Back in 2005, what discouraged me from using PC-BSD still exist. In 2005, an abrupt removal of the USB would send the vanilla PC-BSD ino a kernal panic. That was a show stopper.

Recently, with this 9.1 release. I think XFCE 4.10 was the best default choice. However, the USB mounter detects my 2 Sandisk flash drives, 4GB and 16GB, yet it wn’t allow me to view my files.

I see others have complaints such as:

PC-BSD doesn’t support USB mobile broadband.

Ubuntu has supported USB mobile broadband since at least 9.04.

PC-BSD requires loads of configuration to install a printer.

Ubuntu installs a printer automatically.

In other words, PC-BSD is about 3 years behind Ubuntu.

PC-BSD is SLOW: in the time it takes to boot to login, Ubuntu would already be flying, miles ahead.

I seriously dought if Ubuntu is faster than PC-BSD.

Some must be referring to Mint “Lisa” boot time.

Despite, I would not trade PC-BSD for GNU/Linux. I think the Linux kernel is too bug prone with kernel panics.

The previous Xfce 4.8 USB file viewer was much more reliable.
    ource
    Yes, Debian Kfreebsd has, most likely, the fastest installer of all-time. …Linux has the latest and the greatest toys, Desktop BSD still boots the fastest, Fedora is the most sophisticated, Mageia might eventually overtake Mint.

However, aside from my few gripes, overall PC-BSD is the best open source operating system available for the desktop, today.

Actually, that would be true if PC-BSD supported AMD video cards. Is PC-BSD being paid by Nvidia?

What is going on here?

• August 28, 2012 at 11:56 am |

Just a few notes:

The new Mount Tray uses the default file manager to view files. Can you please confirm which file manager (if any) was set as default in the XFCE desktop? Also, which filesystems where the drives formatted with?

The printer setup should “just work” with a few mouse clicks. Which model of printer did not work for you?

NVIDIA has been the best supported as that company provides native FreeBSD drivers. Intel support has improved with 9.1 now that KMS is ported to FreeBSD. ATI/Radeon support will improve once TTM is ported.

• September 1, 2012 at 8:07 pm |

ATI/Radeon support will improve once TTM is ported.”

My new pc has on-board Radeon and have to run Kubuntu on it until I either figure out a good $150 — $200.00 Nvidia card to buy for it and then be able to use PC-BSD, or wait until Radeon support is available.

Any E.T.A. on when TTM might be ported? Found this news which is the latest I currently know of:

Thanks a lot everyone. :)

• September 4, 2012 at 6:52 am |

The last I heard, the Foundation was still negotiating who would do the work. Once that is sorted, changes should go into HEAD (version 10).

• September 4, 2012 at 7:00 am |

Cool, Thanks a lot for this update Dru. :)

• jaxxed
            November 4, 2012 at 11:30 pm |

Yeah Dru, thanks a lot. I hope you guys are proud of what you’ve put together lately. Your effort on development and your support in the community are both top-notch.

Soon … take over the world :)

• November 6, 2012 at 6:04 am |

Thanks!

• August 28, 2012 at 12:47 pm |

My drive was formatted in UFS.
    My file manager is Thunar.

I like emelfm2.

There’s nothing wrong with the printer setup.

That was a quote from a linux user’s comment.

This experience is on a 6 yr old Toshiba 17.3 in” laptop.

Thanks for such a diligent reply.

• prince
    August 28, 2012 at 12:50 pm |

My flash drives are both a fat32.

• […] RC1 images for the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 are now available for i386 and amd64 architectures. Hello there! If you are new here, you […]

• Agustin
    August 29, 2012 at 8:11 pm |

Thanks to all of you.
    Great job !
    How can I solve overheating?
    I’m running Freebsd 9.1 on a HP-Elitebook 2540p (i7 processor, 4 cores), 6GB Ram.

Thanks in advance.

• August 30, 2012 at 6:00 am |

You can try some of the sysctl settings in acpi_thermal(4). Depending upon the laptop vendor, there sometimes are additional sysctl values, though I didn’t see anything in acpi_hp(4) related to temperature (other than the view only variable).

• August 31, 2012 at 2:37 am |

Hi PCBSD team,
    i’ve just installed to test this 9.1RC1 on my toshiba satellite M645, and the first issue i got is:
    The brightness function keys on my laptop doesn’t work, its all the time at brightest and now my eyes hurt ;(
    Could you please try to point me to a workaround or a way to fix this?? Toshiba Satellite M645-S4060
    Thanx in advanced

• August 31, 2012 at 5:05 am |

There is a brightness and a backlight sysctl setting in acpi_toshiba(4). Type the name of the sysctl to see the current value, then as superuser, retype the name of the sysctl followed by an = and a number to change the value.

• September 2, 2012 at 12:44 am |

Thanx a lot dru,
      but it doesn’t work yet

[test@T357] ~% kldstat –v | grep acpi
      39 acpi/acpi_acad
      52 acpi/acpi_sysresource
      10 1 0xc15ed000 3ec4 acpi_toshiba.ko (/boot/kernel/acpi_toshiba.ko)
      13 acpi/acpi_toshiba
      12 acpi/acpi_toshiba_video
      [test@T357] ~%
      [test@T357] ~% sysctl hw.acpi.toshiba.lcd_brightness
      sysctl: unknown oid ‘hw.acpi.toshiba.lcd_brightness’
      [test@T357] ~%
      From dmidecode
      System Information
      Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
      Product Name: Satellite M645
      Version: PSMPBU-00R01R

Some help would be really appreciated.

• September 4, 2012 at 6:48 am |

Can you ask at forums​.freebsd​.org and if you get an answer, paste the URL to the post here.

Thanks!

• September 5, 2012 at 6:01 pm |

SOLVED! (not exactly), 9.1RC1 Toshiba brightness Fn keys don’t work, but..
          portsnap fetch extract
          cd /usr/ports/x11/xbrightness
          make install clean
          xbrightness 33000 1.3

Now i’m comfortable for rebuilding the whole code of this pretty OS, XDD
          Thanx dru

• September 6, 2012 at 4:58 am |

Thanks for the tip! We’ll see about getting that added for RC2.

• Luis Caballero
    September 2, 2012 at 11:37 am |

Hello everyone,

Can somebody tell me if the existing bug in the BIOS for certain Acer models (in my case Timeline 4810TZ)has been fixed? As reference This was my thread in the forums: http://​forums​.pcbsd​.org/​s​h​o​w​t​h​r​e​a​d​.​p​h​p​?​t​=​16740
    and a similar thread to mine: http://​forums​.pcbsd​.org/​s​h​o​w​t​h​r​e​a​d​.​p​h​p​?​t​=​16697
    unfortunately this one did not solved my issue! I did read something about additions for Intel hardware somewhere but I don’t remember where…for the 9.1 release.
    My hardware is:
    Intel Core Duo 1.3 GHz
    4 GB of RAM
    500 HDD
    Intel ICH9 Family PCI Express.
    Thank you in advance for your time.

Luis

• Bob
    September 2, 2012 at 1:52 pm |

Issues with kdevelop requiring automoc4 which is not installed. Manually installing it allows me to compile an example program without issue. Seems something is amiss with the Development packages not installing automoc4 or allowing me to install IDEs

• September 4, 2012 at 7:56 am |

Thanks for the heads up! This will be fixed in RC2.

• September 3, 2012 at 12:21 pm |

Hi PCBSD,
    Here´s another issue: The bootloader REMOVES the boot flag to the pbcsd partition after choosing a partition different from PCBSD, so it’s not possible to boot any OS or partition.
    I had to RE-SET the boot flag to pcbsd partition, but anyway, i’m still unable to boot my other OSs :( PLS fix this.
    (and also the workaround for toshiba brightness keys)
    Regards!

• September 4, 2012 at 6:25 am |

Which bootloader?

• September 4, 2012 at 7:23 pm |

the one which tells you to choose OS with F1, F2, F3, etc. (simply black, no theme no colors).
        Its loaded after 9.1RC1 installation.
        Regards!

• September 5, 2012 at 4:35 am |

Define what you mean by “removes boot flag” and how you reset it. This boot menu should just be a simple selection tool that doesn’t set anything.

• September 5, 2012 at 1:59 pm |

but it does it.
            The boot flag, it’s a FLAG which marks a partition from where to boot up the system.
            I reset this (mark up) by using gparted livecd.
            Try to run a lab to test this issue.
            Best regards!

• September 4, 2012 at 2:02 am |

I’m really glad the PC-BSD team has been working really hard on the wireless. The GUI is getting better and better all of the time.
    There is certainly something else myself and others are definitely on the same boat with. We need more thorough drivers that are stable in BSD. Especially, in regards to the AMD and Broadcom realms. I am aware leaps and bounds have been made but the last time I tried to configure a system with 9.0 it gave me worse panics than ever before just trying to do the fw-cutter for a broadcom internal chipset.
    I have recently built a fairly good system and I am very pro-AMD. So, I definitely look forward to better ACPI and TTM support in a following release. I would strictly use PC-BSD as opposed to anything like Linux or Windows.
    I just want to emphasize that I really think you are doing a great job! It’s just the same old issues that we’ve seen in the Linux realm (mostly the need for good writers of native drivers).

• xChris
    September 5, 2012 at 1:47 am |

I see a big improvement on the Intel GFX drivers, I have a nice display on HD2000 gfx (SandyBridge), but there is no video when on resume after suspend, I assume its a known bug… I hope this will be fixed soon, so I can use the PCBSD as main OS

cheers

• September 5, 2012 at 4:32 am |

RC2 will include a script to fix close/open lid issues. You might have to experiment with some acpi(4) sysctls and see if there is an acpi man page specific to your vendor (type: apropos acpi_*).

• xChris
        September 5, 2012 at 5:15 am |

Thank you for this Dru!
        In fact its a desktop system! I will try with the acpi(4), as the PCBSD is installed on a secondary HDD ;-)

• xChris
    September 5, 2012 at 5:29 am |

oh. just to add that the 9.1rc1 is more power hungry (6570 watt) in comparison to Linux Mint 13 (3540 watt) on the same h/ware.

• September 8, 2012 at 12:53 am |

I’d like to tell you.. the fastboot feature uder /etc/rc.conf doesn’t help almost nothing, i mean, 5 secs was the difference when turnin’ ON or OFF this feature.
    Lap is Intel i5, 4gb ram, HD5400rpm, BootTime: 2min 25sec :(
    Could you try to tune this in order to be really helpful??.
    Otherwise, some recommendations to boot faster?
    Thanx a lot for your efforts!

• No1inparticular
      September 10, 2012 at 12:28 am |

I just downloaded PCBSD9.1-RC1-x86-USBFULL.img.bz2 .
      I can’t find any published checksum for the download.
      No need for an e-mail I’ll keep checking.
      No One

• September 10, 2012 at 5:48 am |

Which mirror did you use? There should be both an md5 and an sha256 listed next to the .bz2 file.

• No1inparticular
          September 11, 2012 at 1:07 am |

Dear Dru:
          Thank You for your very timely responce. The problem became obvious, you have a defective user.
          At 15 hours per download, I normaly order a DVD if available. Somehow I didn’t associate the clearly labled files above the main file as being what I was looking for. It’s equivalent to having variables defined on the original system but not but not on the new system… the naive user. Again, thank you.
          No One

• September 10, 2012 at 6:10 am |

IIRC, this RC used a modified fast boot which isn’t the fastest but fixes most errors people have with fast boot. You can customize the fast boot using the instructions here: http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Booting_Into_PC-BSD%C2%AE#Enabling_Fast_Boot.

• goekhan
    September 10, 2012 at 3:41 am |

Hello Dru, hello Devs!

I tested the RC1 on an Esprimo 2550 (specs: http://​remarketing​.ts​.fujitsu​.com/​s​h​o​p​/​i​m​a​g​e​s​/​d​a​t​e​n​b​l​a​t​t​/​d​b​_​e​s​p​r​i​m​o​_​p​2550​_​d​e​.​pdf). Mainly because the usual Linux wouldn´t run due to a bug in the kernel. It has something to do with the nforce mainboard.

Anyway I was happy to see PC-BSD boot without problems into the installer. Here I encountered two problems:

1) Chosing “German” as the installer language didn´t quite work: The installation proceeded in English, only to be restarted afterwards in German (which I aborted as I had a successful install in English).

2) With the checkbox for “format drives with GParted” in the advanced settings nothing happened. As far as I can estimate GParted was not started. I´ve used this tool before, so I´m not a total noob.

Afterwards I booted into KDE. Here I could not set up wireless. I entered the necessary WPA2 password, but I got no feedback. No “wrong password” when I intentionally typed wrong, and no “successfull/unseccessfull connection” type message. This left me frustrated and ended my time with the 9.1 RC.

Out of curiousity: why don´t You implement the standard KDE connectivity tool? It worked well for me under numerous Linux(es/i?).

• goekhan
      September 10, 2012 at 3:44 am |

Oh, I forgot something:

The installer does not recognize any other OS´s (like Windows) and does not offer a side-by-side-install. Is this on purpose?

• September 10, 2012 at 5:44 am |

It does, if you use click the drop-down menus in this screen of the Disk Selection portion of the installer: http://​wiki​.pcbsd​.org/​i​n​d​e​x​.​p​h​p​/​F​i​l​e​:​I​n​s​t​a​l​l​e​r​3​b​.​png. Once installed, the FreeBSD boot manager may or may not pick up the other operating system. Instructions for using other boot loaders are in the Dual Booting section of the Handbook at wiki​.pcbsd​.org.

• goekhan
          September 10, 2012 at 5:50 am |

I clicked the drop-down menu but saw only

a) use entire disk
          b) [name of harddrive].

So this was useless to me.

• September 10, 2012 at 5:56 am |

Interesting. Was the other OS on a primary or extended partition?

• goekhan
              September 10, 2012 at 6:08 am |

It hast to be primary. Before PC-BSD I installed Windows Vista, thus the whole disk was one big partition formatted in NTFS.

• September 10, 2012 at 6:16 am |

Not sure why it didn’t see it then. I dual-boot with Windows7 on several systems and all 3 of its partitions show up in the installer. I’ve used both Windows7 and Parted Magic to shrink the partition.

• goekhan
                  September 10, 2012 at 6:25 am |

Hmm…like I said I didn´t shrink the partition before, but assumed that PC-BSD would offer resizing NTFS, so that Win and BSD could share the disk.

But on a side note: In my first post I mentioned that I could not get any Linux distro to run (load installer/live session). This includes PartedMagic, *buntu, Debian, OpenSUSE, CentOS. After some searching I found a launchpad with an unresolved bug. Maybe this could have sth to do with it? I know that BSD is not Linux, but as this is an nforce driver issue in the Linux kernel, I thought maybe this problem could overlap. I don´t know. Just trying to give info.

• goekhan
      September 10, 2012 at 3:46 am |

Oh man, Alzheimer-man is back here :-)

Wanted to add sth positive: install was not painfully slow. Didn´t track time but I´d say 20 minutes.

• September 10, 2012 at 5:41 am |

1. Not sure about the German as I see this language is at %100 at pootle​.pcbsd​.org. Will check into it.

2. This box is for GPT style bootloader rather than MBR style bootloader. PC-BSD does not use gparted.

3. What is the chipset on the wireless device? PC-BSD created its own GUI network manager as none existed for BSD. The KDE network manager was esigned for the Linux network stack which is completely different than the BSD one.

• goekhan
    September 10, 2012 at 6:52 am |

1. The language reboot happened also after first reboot. When I had to set up a user, it was first in English and after I finished the same appeared in German.

3. The chipset is Realtek RTL8187L.

• September 10, 2012 at 7:03 am |

You should be asked twice for the language (during install and post-install). This is a feature, allowing for OEM/automated installs where one user installs and another uses.

That chipset should be supported by the urtw driver. If you still have the installation or try again, post the output of ifconfig.

• goekhan
    September 10, 2012 at 7:16 am |

I was not asked for the language. Instead the whole setup process/dialogue was repeated. If I chose to install in German, I shouldn´t have to install/set up a user account in English first.

• September 10, 2012 at 7:59 am |

It looks like this was a bug in RC1 which has been fixed for the upcoming RC2.

• anand ganti m
    September 13, 2012 at 8:09 pm |

my system update to pcbsd9.1rc1 does not proceed beyond 85% in the update manager .please help!

• anand ganti m
    September 13, 2012 at 9:17 pm |

well looks like its working,after changing the mirror in system manager,Thanks guys ‚wonderful work pcbsd!

• September 14, 2012 at 12:16 pm |

Espero que PCBSD final llegue con muchas mejoras, y que tenga aplicaciones bien actualizadas, y un mejor trabajo en la parte estetica..

• Tenedos
    September 15, 2012 at 8:32 am |

I want to use PC-BCD but. My wifi network “broadcam Bcm4313” does not work. I can not solve this issue by myself. All linux distro except Debian support it. Any support wellcome… Thanks

• Jimserac
    September 17, 2012 at 7:19 am |

Installed PC-BSD 9.1 RC1 on Sony Vaio (a 2008 PCG-9U1L) as sole operating system. Used UFS with encryption. Speed good. Did not handle screen resolution or video detection of ATI, using generic. Will experiment later.

Also… tried to install PC-BSD 9.1 RC1 on an E-Machines with two disk drives. Both Western Digital, both 169Gig drives, SATA. First drive has Windows XP. PC-BSD 9.1 RC1 installed OK, again selected UFS with encryption. But, after install, boot failed and locked, never got to Boot screen — could not boot either operating system.
    So, I unplugged the 2d disk with PC-BSD 9.1 on it and then could boot into Windows XP OK.
    Unable to proceed so I wiped and reformatted the second drive. Any workarounds to get past this?

• September 17, 2012 at 9:33 am |

The only thing we can think of is that maybe the BIOS does not understand GPT partitioning on the second drive. Let us know if you try again and if unchecking the GPT box in Advanced Mode of the disk partititioning screen makes any difference.

• Jimserac
        September 17, 2012 at 9:57 am |

OK, I’ll try it, didn’t know about that one. One other thing, it would be good if the install gave explicit instructions as in “Install Complete…REMOVE INSTALL CD NOW”. Some distros do this, some don’t. I always remove the install CD right after the shutdown, in the pause just before the reboot starts.

• September 17, 2012 at 11:34 am |

We’ve updated that text to be more clear for RC2.

• […] PC-BSD 9.1-RC1 Now Available – This release candidate provides both users and developers a means to test out new features in the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 release. […]

• SanderSS
    September 18, 2012 at 3:10 pm |

I think that the install is taking waaaaay to long on qemu-kvm, the partition took 10 min and the install over 1 hour. Is this normal? Is their anything I can do to raise the speed or find the cause?

I am using a i5-2450M CPU and using an IDE virt disk.

• PG
    September 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm |

PC-BSD is an excellent effort! But, if I may ask, what about ATi cards support? Especially, what about KMS/GEM/DRM? Any plans for the (near) future?

I am asking because I do really thinking of using it, but I am a bit reluctant since my laptop carries a Mobility Radeon.

• September 24, 2012 at 5:55 am |

This support will improve once TTM and KMS for Radeon support is added. Might not be until FreeBSD 10 though…

• Baldwin
    September 24, 2012 at 11:58 am |

Hello PC-BSD devs!

Just wanted to ask two things:

1) If PC-BSD supports the Ralink RT3090 wireless card? Somebody on the FreeBSD mailing list was working on porting the driver from OpenBSD back in April or May of this year.

2) How is ACPI suspend/resume support these days? I’ve installed FreeBSD/PC-BSD on a few machines over the past year and couldn’t get any of them to wake up from ACPI S3.

Everything else works great for my laptop under PC-BSD, but the above issues are stopping me from using it as my main OS for the moment :/

• September 24, 2012 at 12:20 pm |

Do you have a link for the RT3090 thread/patch?

ACPI is really hardware specific. Have you had any luck with the sysctl values in the acpi man page for your vendor? (apropos acpi_*)

• Baldwin
        September 24, 2012 at 1:55 pm |

Thanks for your reply Dru.

I believe this is the RT3090 thread (though it’s dated as May 2011, so I may be mistaken):

According to available documentation, it appears that there is no vendor-specific ACPI code for MSI devices under FreeBSD. My laptop is an MSI Wind U200.

• September 30, 2012 at 2:28 pm |

I asked the committer and he indicates that the patch was committed and that yes, this chipset will be supported in 9.1.

• Baldwin
            October 4, 2012 at 11:25 am |

Great, thanks Dru!

• September 27, 2012 at 10:39 am |

hello..
    i had been using 9.0 for sometime in ufs. i had lots of issues like my printer connected at office-win pc was not identifiable thru wlano etc.. i could setup sound after a lot of jugglery (thanks to the forum that helped me (a total newbie for bsd).

i wanted to have a go at zfs so i downloaded 9.1RC1 USBLITE, used dd command to create a usb installer, wiped out my existing 9.0 and went for re boot. now the usb fails to boot into the gui installer ! the file size is 935M but the installer says its 83M. any clue on how this is happening ? a solution will be better to help me boot into the gui installer. i was just getting into the feel of bsd and now i have no bsd !

for info, i was triple booting between Arch Linux, PCBSD9 and Win. i wish to install pcbsd9.1 RC1 with zfs (which was the main reason for me to wipe out the previous installation)

• September 28, 2012 at 5:08 am |

Can anyone help me in setting the usb installer to lead me to the gui ? this is the 5 th time i downloaded the pcbsd usb lite version for 9.1 RC and everytime the usb boots off but halts at while probing for devices…

there are no other devices connected to my laptop other than the usb installer.

it halts at a message “usb2.0 480Mbps high speed !

i dont have any option but to halt the laptop !

i was using 9.0 with ufs and out of curiosity and inquisitiveness, i wanted to have a go at zfs for which i had re-set the partition to install pcbsd with zfs… now there is no BSD ! i would appreciate if i am advised on this issue. unfortunately i cant take a screenshot when booting takes place !

• September 30, 2012 at 12:23 pm |

Does the BIOS support booting from USB? Are you sure that the stick is good? Also, make sure that dd wrote the same amount of data as the uncompressed filesize and that the file was uncompressed before using dd.

• September 30, 2012 at 8:26 pm |

ofcourse it supports and i always install mu OS thru usb. after a long and fruitless ordeal, i had to go for a re-download of 9.0 which installed with a breeze.
        none of the 9.1 download links related to usb install took me to the gui. it got frozen half way thru the boot sequence with a funny message “found highspeed 480mbps usb” or something like that ! the same usb with 9.0 took me to the installer.

i wiped out my prev install of 9.0 for 2 reasons.
        a) wanted to install on zfs (earlier it was ufs)
        b) didnt want to go thru the long wait of the 9.0 taking me to 9.1 thru the upgrade process as the net speed with my present situation is pathetically slow and i felt a clean install will be an optimum solution !

as there was no alternative, i went for a fresh install of 9.0 on zfs which works just fine. but i wish to dig into the new features of 9.1 so i went for upgrade. can i know why the upgrade process downloads even those apps that are not installed ? for ex i am currently using just the kde and it went for downloading everything (gnome related) is there any workaround ?
        i discontinued that upgrade process.
        with net speeds pathetically slow, the download process seems to be endless !

• October 8, 2012 at 7:55 am |

Regarding the upgrade, the gnome stuff would be for the gdm login manager (e.g. it is not installing all of GNOME if GNOME is not the selected desktop). The upgrade process installs the base meta-pkg as well as any installed meta-pkgs.

• Aeomer
    September 28, 2012 at 8:42 am |

To those considering E17, the lock screen does not work with PAM authentication on FreeBSD (and hence PC-BSD). The symptoms are the lock screen will either take any password as valid or won’t accept a valid password as valid. It depends on the build.

I can confirm 9.1RC1 shows the problem.

Is anyone working on, or already has a working patch?

Apparently it has something to do with “setuid” using PAM auth.

The Enlightenment developers are not going to fix it — their responses are terse and somewhat angry when you discuss BSD and E17 on the boards. All published patches remove all protection!

• March 7, 2013 at 9:45 am |

Thanks for the heads up. We’ll take a crack at fixing this.

• Tom
    October 3, 2012 at 6:41 am |

Hi,

Can you make available 9.1-RC* USB Live images? I’d like to be able to test but can’t install to HDD at the moment. Do live images exist of the 9.1 release candidates?

Also, does FreeBSD/PC-BSD 9.1 now support Realtek RT2860 wireless cards yet? I remember seeing a driver someone wrote, but it has to be compiled separately.

Thanks!
    T

• Derek
    November 13, 2012 at 12:41 pm |

Just as an FYI i just updated from the 9.0 Beta to 9.1 RC1 and I had a few things “disappear” such as valgrind and cmake. Everything else went smooth…though it did take about 2 1/2 hours. (was upgrading on a Xencenter VM)

• Julian Fonseca
    November 18, 2012 at 7:47 pm |

Do you know when PCBSD will have a wireless driver to a RTL8188ce wireless card?

This OS is so good but the only bad thing that I see on it is the don’t support to some wireless drivers.

I have tried to use ndisgen to convert windows driver in PCBSD driver but nothing happens, just the system collapses.

• November 19, 2012 at 5:01 am |

There is talk of porting OpenBSD’s urtwn, but I don’t think anyone has done that yet.

• Thor
    January 6, 2013 at 3:47 am |

Still not possible to get PC BSD to recognize screens with a higher resolution than 1024x768

• January 7, 2013 at 6:22 am |

Which video card?

• Thor
        January 10, 2013 at 9:12 pm |

NVIDIA GeForce 210

• JimIsaac
    February 23, 2013 at 12:24 pm |

hey y’all!
    I’ve always thought that pcbsd was a rock-solid OS, but I have a problem setting up my usb internet key… it’s a HUAWEI E169 from H3G Italy… Any suggestion?

Thanks by the way

• August 27, 2013 at 3:44 pm |

[…] bulunuyor. Bir dizi hatanin giderildigi PC-BSD 9.1-RC1 hakkinda ayrintili bilgi edinmek için sürüm duyurusunu […]