Oct

RC2 Available for Testing

The RC2 images for the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 are now available for i386 and amd64 architectures.

NOTE: the USBfull image for RC2 is slightly larger than a 4GB stick. If you wish to try this image, use a USB stick/drive larger than 4GB.

This release candidate provides both users and developers a means to test out new features in the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 release. This snapshot may contain buggy code and features, so users are encouraged to run it only on non-critical systems.

Changes since RC1:

• Fixed multiple bugs where mice freeze or behave incorrectly.
  • Fixed language selection to be displayed as native language.
  • Compatibility improvements for PS2 mice.
  • Fixed time-out issues with External DVD Drive / USB Drives.
  • Updated system proxy paths and functionality.
  • Updated sound detection functionality.
  • Added mp3 / ogg encoders to CD rippers.
  • Added detection for NVIDIA Optimus systems.
  • Added options for cups-base, to fix an issue with many printers printing blank pages when using ghostscript for pdftops conversion.
  • Improved System Manager to only update ports tree if it already is checked out.
  • Improvements to the Warden’s functionality and stability.  Improved jail importing functionality.
  • Added “Update All” button for AppCafe.
  • Graphical enhancements for EasyPBI.

Highlights for the upcoming 9.1-Release:

• FreeBSD 9.1
  • KDE 4.8.4
  • New system installer! Greatly simplified for desktop and server installs.
  • New TrueOS installation option. Includes command-line utilities like pbi-manager, warden, metapkgmanager and more.
  • Support for ZFS mirror / raidz(1,2,3) during installation.
  • Support for SWAP on ZFS, allowing entire disk ZFS installation.
  • Support for setting additional ZFS data-set options, such as compression, noexec, etc.
  • Warden jail management integrated into system. Allows creating jails via GUI, adding packages and other administration.
  • Support for Warden to create Linux Jails.
  • New “Sound Configuration GUI”.
  • New “Hardware compatibility” GUI.
  • First boot setup wizard allows OEM installs to be easily performed.
  • New Bluetooth pairing tray / GUI utilities.
  • New AppCafe improvements and preferences.
  • Improvements to wifi utility.
  • Fixed bug causing untranslated strings to show up empty.
  • Numerous bug-fixes to PC-BSD related utilities.
  • Support for creating PXE boot server for remote desktop and installation.
  • ZFS beadm support.
  • And much more!

Errata:

If you wish to update from 9.0 to RC2 you may do so by editing the /usr/local/share/pcbsd/pc-updatemanager/conf/sysupdate.conf file and changing the PATCHSET: variable to pcbsdtest.

After changing this variable, run the updater utility to download a new update manager. Once this update manager is installed, the online update to the RC2 version will appear.

If you find any bugs in RC2, report them to the testing mailing list so that they can be fixed before 9.1 release.

Written by dru. Posted in 9.1, testers

• October 11, 2012 at 2:04 pm |

Awesome, can’t wait to try it, Thanks everyone! :) :)

• October 11, 2012 at 9:26 pm |

Installation went perfectly, using it now & it’s working great! Thanks again. :)

• October 12, 2012 at 12:17 am |

Thanks for gr8t dist! Like others i used FreeBSD or *bsd for fw´s diffrent hosting etc pc-bsd with easy to install… i love it i help spread the word so you can grow bigger there was a nice text on distowatch about freebsd/pc-bsd or *bsd :) One thing i dont get with this RC2 it was released 11 oct? I downloaded from some ftp the usbfull 6th (2012/10/06) is the usb img realeased before i iso dvd? Maybe i just messed up after 2 days “online” without sleep i downloaded the dvd iso yesterday 11th, is there anything “new” compared to the usbfull IMG i DL a few days ago? I noticed this with the dates now when i was about to put it on a usb stick maybe i got acsses to a 0-day ftp? ;)

• October 12, 2012 at 5:58 am |

There was a problem with the initial version on the FTP site. It is always best to wait for the official announcement before downloading a snapshot :-)

• MrEfrem
    October 12, 2012 at 12:44 am |

I use ASUS x51L (intel gma3000).
    At the beginning of installation I select Russian, the screen dies away and more that doesn’t occur. The POWER button helps only. After installation (language so to select and it was not possible) after loading there is a picture, I passed it having clicked several times ENTER and probably passed page of original setup with adding of the user. Me spanned in GDM and asks to specify the user. But since I didn’t manage to create it, I think now I will go to the console on Alt-F1 and I will create. Not here that was, drivers is visible on intel still curve and to pass to the console it did not turn out. Decided to replace the driver with VESA. Rebooted selected the driver, clicked to apply the screen at me again went out and here only the POWER button as always helps.
    Excuse for my English, I use the translator.

• October 16, 2012 at 7:53 am |

Will it install if you select English? If so, this has been fixed for RC3, there was a bug when selecting another language during RC2 install.

• MrEfrem
        October 16, 2012 at 9:53 pm |

Yes I selected installation language English since couldn’t will switch to Russian. Still very much it would be not bad to deduce point of a call of primary setup of system in the loading menu. Since at me it managed to be passed, keying ESCAPE and ENTER and in case of resets GDM directly booted. The user as a result wasn’t created and it was necessary to me via the console, with the VESA video driver (since to Intel gma3000 in the console doesn’t transfer), to create the user manually.

• Tom
    October 12, 2012 at 1:20 am |

Is there an issue with FreeBSD 9* and USB sticks? I’m trying to install to a USB stick (using UFS+SUJ) and it’s extremely slow. I set an install going at around 10pm. Woke up at 7am the next day and it was only 20% through.

Ideally, I’d like to test on a USB stick because I don’t have a spare SATA drive lying around and don’t want to format my current system.

Does the umass driver just not support proper high speed USB devices? The write performance is pretty dismal during the install. I even tried booting with ACPI enabled and it didn’t help.

• October 12, 2012 at 5:52 am |

What’s the size of the stick?

• Tom
        October 12, 2012 at 7:14 am |

It’s a 32 GB stick. Kingston Data Traveller.

• October 20, 2012 at 5:41 am |

We have come across this as well, it just seems to depend upon the write speed of the stick itself. Some of the cheaper sticks work but are so slow they are unusable. Newegg dvertises high-speed USB sticks. If you or someone else has a chance to try a “high-speed” stick, let us know if it makes a difference.

• October 12, 2012 at 11:53 am |

There is a “ok” guide how to create img to usb on PC Bsd wiki but look here my English is not that good but this is what i did to create a usb http://​www​.ubcd​.net/​h​o​w​-​t​o​-​c​r​e​a​t​e​-​p​c​-​b​s​d​-​u​s​b​-​b​oot (Suse studio tool you need download url is <– here) dont forget to have more then 4gb as some one already mentioned hope it works for all once i understod the guide it was easy :) what i forgot to add to “my how to” is dont have anything open thats have some connection with the usb stick like “my computer” or format tool i will expand my howto later with suggestion to use HP usb format tool works almost as good as PC-BSD :D

• October 12, 2012 at 4:05 pm |

Hi Tyk:
        Give these “Prepping a USB stick with USB img” instructions a try that Fatmice posted, it worked great for me many times:

• October 12, 2012 at 4:09 pm |

Sorry, I meant Tom. :) Hi Tom, Hi Tyk, LoL. :)

By the way, my Patriot USB is 32Gig and it does take maybe an hour or two for Fatmice’s instructions to complete, so just give ti some time.

• Tom
        October 15, 2012 at 1:18 am |

It wasn’t the actual ‘prepping’ of a USB image so much as booting off a DVD (or another USB stick) and installing to another USB stick.

I’ve tried both booting off a 4 GB USB stick with the PC-BSD image (USB-lite) and the bootable DVD. Both take ages to install to this 32 GB stick. I know the USB subsystem is slow in BSD. Both FreeBSD and OpenBSD get their USB umass* driver from NetBSD and it is notoriously slow. (I know because I’ve installed OpenBSD to a USB stick as well and it can be excruciatingly slow writing to the stick.)

However, the PC-BSD installer appears to write a lot of data. I managed to find an old 160 GB SATA disk and I did the install on that. It took about 2 hours.

Hmm maybe I’d be better off doing a straight FreeBSD 9.1-RC2 install and just adding on that.

• mato
          November 5, 2012 at 9:37 am |

This is not true anymore (and for quite some time). USB subsystem had been rewritten for FreeBSD 8 and should be fast and full featured. Any issues are likely case by case and should be reported and hopefully fixed / worked around.

• brice
    October 12, 2012 at 6:54 am |

As soon as i select french language, the installer reboots.

• October 15, 2012 at 5:28 am |

We’ve had several reports of this happening if a language is selected and are tracking down the cause and fix for RC3.

• Henry
    October 13, 2012 at 7:07 am |

Computer is a toshiba p775.
    Quad core, 8gig ram, 750 hdd…
    Installation went flawlessly with 9.0, however…
    I cannot make an Internet connection.
    My wireless signal strength is 75%.
    What have I overlooked ?
    I tried manual config. To no avail.

Thanks…for any suggestions

• October 15, 2012 at 5:22 am |

Which driver is the wireless using (from ifconfig)?

• Mar
    October 13, 2012 at 8:31 pm |

Dear Dru,

I installed the RC2 in french. It’s ok. But the wifi is still not detected. The module “Hardware compatibilty” says: “wifi not detected”.
    My wifi card is Realtek 810xE PCIe 10/100

My computer: Toshiba Satellite C660/C660D
    Pentium® Dual-Core CPU T4500 2.30GHz
    64 bits
    RAM: 4 Gb

Is it possible to take this into account in the final version please?

Many Thanks.

• October 15, 2012 at 5:06 am |

I don’t think 810xE is the wireless, that is a PCI Ethernet. Is the wireless built-in or USB? Does “ifconfig” show any other adapters other than re0?

• Mar
        October 15, 2012 at 6:25 pm |

Dear Dru,
        With the above information in Windows network properties I found:
        –Complete nameRealtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC #2
        –Service: RTL8192Ce
        –Pilote name node: oem51.inf:Realtek.NTamd64.6.1:RTL8192Ce.ndi:1005.18.413.2011:pci\ven_10ec&dev_8176&subsys_818110ec
        Other: pci\ven_10ec&dev_8176&subsys_818110ec

Regards

• October 15, 2012 at 6:32 pm |

Unfortunately, noone has ported the 8188CE driver yet (even though OpenBSD has one). Hopefully that will change in time for 9.2.

• ------
    October 15, 2012 at 9:49 am |

(Sorry for bad english)
    System (intel gma 945)die if i:
    select any language(not-English)
    press “ok” in “Confirm Resolution“
    or press “no” select intel or intel-3d-enable or vesa and press Apply or Press Skip
    I try exit from X to Console (Ctrl + Alt + Fn)system stop with “turquoise-purple stripe” on screen…

• October 27, 2012 at 6:27 am |

This bug should be fixed in RC3. Let us know if it is not.

• Clever Cadger
    October 15, 2012 at 1:17 pm |

Hi, dru,
    I was happy to know the RC2 was issued.
    I have started my PC-BSD RC1 and then started upgrade the system. The process of downloading continued 48 hours (fast internet 2Gb ADSL connection) and finished with prompt to reboot the computer and not to interrupt the rebooting process. It was done as requested. The rebooting continued more than 48 hours. Finally I have lost my patience and switched power off. Now the system autoreboots always. I am unhappy. As far as I am newbie to BSD I have no idea how to fix the issue, and I will appreciate any help in this matter.
    Kind regards…

• October 15, 2012 at 1:36 pm |

What shows up on the screen when it keeps rebooting?

• Clever Cadger
    October 15, 2012 at 10:27 pm |

A logo and under the logo: “Press any key to see details” (I don’t remember exactly, something like that). But the system didn’t respond to any key, unfortunately.

• October 16, 2012 at 7:51 am |

Does it make a difference if you select “5 Run X in VESA mode” or “4 Enable verbose logging”?

• Clever Cadger
        October 16, 2012 at 11:12 am |

I have managed the pressing any key, actually it should be pressed twice. After that I can see at the screen some system messages:

***
        Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/label/rootfs0 [rw,noatime]…
        WARNING: /was not properly dismounted
        WARNING: /: mount pending error: blocks 64 files 529
        WARNING: /: TRIM flag on fs but disk does not support TRIM
        init: not found in path /sbin/init:/sbin/oinit:/sbin/init.back:/rescue/init:/stand/sysinstall
        panic: no init
        ***
        Uptime: 5s
        Automatic reboot in 15 seconds — press a key on the console to abort

It does not make a difference if I select item “4 Enable verbose logging” or “5 Run X in VESA mode” from the intermediate menu. The result is the same as described above — rebooting.

• October 27, 2012 at 6:23 am |

It looks like the upgrade was interrupted during the copy of the new operating system files. Have you since reinstalled or is this system still in a stuck state?

• Clever Cadger
            October 27, 2012 at 9:52 am |

I agree with you, I have made the same conclusion. But I didn’t touch it during the upgrade process actually. Something wrong has come up. Maybe it is a bug? That’s why I have appealed to you here.
            The system has not been reinstalled and it is still in a stack state. I wonder, is there any solution, except reinstallation? Many thanks in advance for your help.

• PC-BSD RC2 dissapoitment
    October 16, 2012 at 10:58 am |

Hey. I am relatively new PC-BSD user. I like what you have done with PBI and Jail system . However, there is minor very important issue. NTFS mass storage devices mounting is HELLL! I got it to work sometimes and every restart I need to use mount ntfs-3g command to mount my 500GB external HDD which dissconnects after few hours. I am very dissapointed since this issue was mentioned lots of times and still persists :( I had my system configured well thats why this little issue bothers me. I love PCBSD and hope that you sort it out on RC3 release.
    Thanks

• Marcio Brasil
    October 18, 2012 at 9:42 am |

Big problem I encounter in my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop is that I’m getting the message that my computer’s temperature is too high and it automatically turns off the PC. I can not use for a long time. Appears just the message: WARNING System temperature too high shutting down soon.

• Clever Cadger
      October 18, 2012 at 2:28 pm |

Hi, Marcio,
      Just to clarify, how it concerns to RC2?
      Did you have a chance to think about the message itself, how the system can overheat as it is just a software? I would suggest you to discuss such issue within the forums, for example here:
      Regards …

• October 20, 2012 at 5:04 am |

Typically, experimenting with ACPI sysctl settings can improve the situation for particular hardware. There isn’t a Dell-specific ACPI man page, so try the settings mentioned in “man acpi”.

• October 19, 2012 at 4:12 am |

I like PCBSD a lot and I’m evaluating it because soon I will have to replace my almost unsupported Ubuntu 11.04 (the last one with a sane GUI).

However I do have some questions regarding some changes made during the RC phase: isn’t the Release candidate meant to iron out the remaining bugs only? In the release notes I see potentially breaking changes, that could be in the branch for the next planned release (e.g.: Updated system proxy paths and functionality, Added mp3 / ogg encoders to CD rippers, Added “Update All” button for AppCafe)

Regards,
    Paolo Brandoli

• October 20, 2012 at 5:02 am |

Hello Paolo,

You are correct about the role of the RC. The changes you indicate were a bug fix, a PBI addition (3rd party software), and a cosmetic bug fix.

• Jens Janzen
    October 19, 2012 at 8:39 am |

Hi all,

i just want to thank you for your good work on this release. I come from Ubuntu, but find the load of changes to the expense of security somewhat confusing. I was waiting almost a year now to install a bsd distribution, but until now, there was no support for my soundblaster xfi titanium hd.
    However, my path was clear and i bought a nvidia card, because my amd card was not supported. And now my release 9.1 RC2 is running fine.
    There are a few things i have to report however.
    1. As said before, another language than english leads to a black screen. Should be solved.
    2. I added a user as root and noticed that the home directory permissions were not set to the ownership for that user. I corrected that but maybe a newbie would encounter some difficulties.
    3. During user creation i clicked on the checkbox “administrative user”, but i was not able to unmount an usb stick afterwards. Maybe a problem with gnome. Under System->Administration->Users and Groups i found my personal account disabled. I tried to enable the account, but the program crashes.
    It would be nice, if there is an error reporting tool or something that produces output in a developer convenient way, but for now i try to explain what action led to the error.

Thanks again for this great release!

• October 20, 2012 at 2:43 am |

Thanks for the feedback!

1. This was a bug in RC2 which has been fixed for RC3.

2. How did you add the user?

3. Which utility did you use to unmount the disk?

We hope to have a bug reporting tool in 9.2.

• October 20, 2012 at 2:18 pm |

[…] this FreeBSD release, the PC-BSD Project has announced PC-BSD 9.1-RC2. Hello there! If you are new here, you might want to subscribe to the RSS feed for […]

• Josias
    October 25, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
  • Dr. James R. Pannozzi D.O.M., LAc.
    October 26, 2012 at 5:29 am |

In case I forgot to mention this before, I tried PC-BSD 9.1 RC2 on an E-Machines, 1gig of memory with two SATA hard drives (both Western Digital, both 149 gig each). First hard drive has Windows XP on it, second was just an NTFS formatted drive.

Install of 9.1 RC2 on drive 2 went fine, used the entire drive, UFS default (since < than 2 gig of memory) and checked the MBR box so it could boot from that drive too; all installed, OK got message that it was going to reboot, fine, no problem, removed CD, .… waiting, … waiting… NO REBOOT… Next tried getting into bios with F2 or F10 press, would not let me in. Finally I just disconnected drive 2, that let me boot into windows again on drive 1, and then I plugged in drive 2 and reformatted it to NTFS again. Will go with Fedora for now. Sigh.

• October 27, 2012 at 5:22 am |

Any idea if that system’s BIOS supports booting from the second hard drive or if there is an option that needs to be set in order to do so? I also wonder if installing a bootloader such as EasyBCD would make a difference.

• Dr. James R. Pannozzi DOM, LAc.
        October 27, 2012 at 5:44 am |

The BIOS does support booting from 2d drive. In fact, after installing Fedora 17 on the 2d drive, it recognized that there was XP on the first drive and, without my doing anything extra, automatically configured grub on the 2d drive to boot either Fedora (on the 2d drive) or Windows XP on the 1st drive.

So, after changing the bios boot order to make 2d hard disk the boot drive, I can boot to either operating system from the 2d drive.

• October 27, 2012 at 5:47 am |

Seeing that it is not a BIOS issue, it sounds like FreeBSD’s boot manager isn’t doing the right thing in this case but that configuring EasyBCD should.

• Dr. James R. Pannozzi
            October 27, 2012 at 6:04 am |

I’ll look into it if I have the time.

Meanwhile, PC-BSD 9.1 RC2 installed just fine on my old 2007 Sonny Vaio Laptop, recognized the wireless and I’m BSDing just fine there. On that one, PC-BSD is the sole operating system.

• November 5, 2012 at 3:24 am |
  • vt
    November 6, 2012 at 2:19 am |

Hi,
    With RC1 installed using the “trueOS” variant I find myself completely lost regarding updates.
    Any hints/docs how to get RC1 updated? Or do I have to do a fresh install of RC2? Will RC2 (trueos) be able to update itself?
    TIA,
    vt

• chriscarsten
    January 8, 2013 at 9:12 pm |

Thank you for this marvellous 9.1 PC-BSD software !!
    I did a fresh install (from 9.0) and am not disappointed at all.
    did change to zfs mirror and perf is much better :) now.

Thanks, truely yours Chris C.

• January 9, 2013 at 6:30 am |