Nov

Automating the Deployment of FreeBSD and PC-BSD Systems

Kris has an article entitled “ Automating the Deployment of FreeBSD and PC-BSD Systems” on pages 1013 of the November issue of BSD Magazine. A PDF of this magazine is available for free download.

The article demonstrates how to use the pc-sysinstall backend to automate the deployment of FreeBSD servers and PC-BSD desktops using a PXE boot environment.

Written by dru. Posted in new features

• Michael
    November 8, 2012 at 7:33 pm |

I’m using windows 7 right now, and have been for a long long time. But in times pass, I have installed PC-BSD and tried using it. I do so love using it very much. BUT! I ended up going back to windows. The reason was that I couldn’t get compize working. for if I could, I would install PC-BSD right this very min, and make it the OS of my dreams. Oh well, but until then, I’ll guess I’ll stick with Windows.

• November 9, 2012 at 6:40 am |

What type of video card?

• Anders
    November 9, 2012 at 10:03 pm |

Hey. :) Do you know if there are plans for updating support and adding KMS for Radeon cards as they’ve done with Intel Cards? In my 2011 MacBook Pro, according to System Information (I think the app is called something like that) on Darwin (the UNIX/BSD name for Mac OS X), I ve got both a Radeon HD 6750M and an Intel HD 3000 GPU, but FreeBSD/PC-BSD is unable to detect my Intel built-in card, so I’m kind of stuck with Vesa in a stretched 4:3 format (1600x1200), which in short is the primary reason I prefer to use FreeBSD (as well as Darwin and Windows) rather than PC-BSD (and Darwin and Windows) for the moment.

• November 12, 2012 at 5:02 am |

Yes. We now have a developer to do this and are just waiting on confirmation of when the work will be completed. It should be in 10.0 for sure, with fingers crossed for 9.2.

• polygon
    November 12, 2012 at 12:23 pm |

I’ve tried out PCBSD 9.0 and I was amazed…BUT, as a CG artist I use Blender for my everyday work and Blender uses Cycles render engine. In one word: CUDA. PCBSD will be my OS starting the moment NVIDIA CUDA is supported…

• November 15, 2012 at 12:59 am |

I have tried just about every version of PC-BSD. I always in up going back to windows. The reason is, that I can’t get flash to work in FireFox. Can’t get compiz working on installing. I have a powerful PC as to what I thinks powerful. 3.4GHz 7GB RAM. But installing PC-BSD takes a very long time. If If I could get these things working upon install. PC-BSD would be my OS. Oh well I guess I’m stuck with windows. And I hate linux. I have installed and used just about everything on distrowatch. And the only thing that come close to working is GhostBSD 3.0. But my USB mouse gets stuck after the install gets done.

• November 15, 2012 at 6:10 am |

Flash should work if you install the firefox PBI. What type of video card, which window manager, and how are you configuring compiz?

• Michael
    November 15, 2012 at 8:40 pm |

My card is a intel® Q965/Q963 And compiz I don’t know that much about. Just know when I install something, it should work, right? That’s alright. I’ll find some other way. I have had a lot of computers in my life. To low end to hight end. And over the space of 3 years I’ve not one time got compiz to work right. oh well!

• January 17, 2013 at 5:28 am |

im sorry, i need to ask
    Does this article mean (on layman’s term)
    somtehing similar to
    “How to Do Unattended Installing on PC-BSD” ??

• January 17, 2013 at 5:38 am |

• January 17, 2013 at 12:51 pm |

Thanks for the reply, i just finished reading it and just want to ask
    – how do i test if the Computers Network Interface is supporting PXE or LAN-Booting ?

• January 17, 2013 at 1:40 pm |

If you are not sure about the interface, check the system BIOS to see if it has a PXE/network boot option. You may have to change the boot order to have PXE listed first, if that is your intent.