Nov

RC3 Available for Testing

The RC3 images for the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 are now available for i386 and amd64 architectures. This is expected to be the last snapshot before 9.1-RELEASE, so report any bugs to the testing mailing list so that they can be fixed in time for RELEASE. Note that the included handbook is still a draft version– it should be finalized and released to translators within the next week or so.

This release candidate provides both users and developers a means to test out new features in the upcoming PC-BSD 9.1 release. This snapshot may contain buggy code and features, so users are encouraged to run it only on non-critical systems.

Notable changes since the previous release candidate:

• PC-BSD handbook has been updated for 9.1
  • Fixed bug where some keyboard layouts were not being displayed
  • Multiple functionality and stability improvements for EasyPBI
  • Multiple functionality and stability improvements for TrueOS
  • New functionality improvements including better detection added to the mount-tray
  • Fixed bug where default mount points were not being set correctly using ZFS mirror/raidz mode
  • Fixed bug where update manager was not displaying the proper error text when failing
  • Added new ability to create ZFS datasets for jail environments
  • Added UK wireless channel 12 support
  • Fixed bug where Linux jails were not importing properly
  • Mirrors are now auto detected and set based upon location
  • Automatic ZFS 4K blocksize enabled by default
  • System manager should now show the correct dialog for “default“
    auto-detected mirrors.

Errata:

If you wish to update from 9.0 to RC3 you may do so by editing the
/usr/local/share/pcbsd/pc-updatemanager/conf/sysupdate.conf file and changing the PATCHSET: variable to pcbsdtest.

After changing this variable, run the updater utility to download a new update manager. Once this update manager is installed, the online update to the RC3 version will appear.

Written by dru. Posted in 9.1, testers

• November 16, 2012 at 12:05 pm |

Note from Kris for ZFS users:

If you are using any kinda of recent disk drive, you may wish to consider re-installing fresh with RC3 or 9.1-Final when it hits. Some code went into RC3 which forces ZFS to use 4k block sizes, and the performance gain is quite significant. The install on one of my systems went from 40 minutes down to about 15, so its a huge difference.

• November 17, 2012 at 6:30 am |

Cool! Thanks a lot Kris, Dru and everyone else. :) Saw the update manager tray icon on fire this morning and got all excited, LoL. :) Yeah wow, 40 minutes down to 15 is a huge improvement. I have a SSD hard drive with an old Kubuntu version installed that I’m not using anymore, so will use it with a fresh install of 9.1-Final once it’s out.

Thanks again everyone! :)

• Michael
    November 16, 2012 at 3:04 pm |

Downloading this right now. Going to be using gnome. It might stay installed for 5 min or 10. But going to give it a try.

• November 17, 2012 at 6:34 am |

It might stay installed for 5 min or 10. But going to give it a try.”

Well, that’s better than not trying it at all, I guess. Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised and keep it on for maybe even 11 or 12 minutes. :)

• tux9656
    November 16, 2012 at 8:09 pm |

I’ve been using PCBSD 9.1-RC2 for a few days now. It has been working quite nicely. How well does the PCBSD installer work for installing regular FreeBSD? I feel a little indifferent about using PBI over using and installing ports directly. It’s nice having prebuilt software installable with just one click, but using PBI to install software from ports just seems like an extra step and makes the system messy with two different package management systems in place. I’m really liking ZFS so far. Last time I used ZFS was in OpenSolaris and it seemed really slow, but it works nicely in PCBSD. What is the block size used for ZFS in PCBSD versions before 9.1-RC3?

• unknown
    November 17, 2012 at 7:57 am |

RC3 Failed…after downloading the system rebooted and login screen appeared, and then –
    could not start d-bus. can you call qdbus?
    after this… blank screen.

• Michael
      November 17, 2012 at 2:26 pm |

To unknown: It did me the some way. Said Kernel failed to load.

• November 19, 2012 at 5:02 am |

Which version did you upgrade from? Which window manager? Did another reboot fix it?

• unknown
    November 17, 2012 at 2:52 pm |

frig… still working on it… this is a major cluster Fk.

i’m never doing an update again…ever

• November 18, 2012 at 4:24 pm |

Maybe should never update to RC# typ “stable” if the cluster is importent.
      I have not updated yet i use it on both my “lappyz” ibm t43 and aspire 7220 its old stuff and i am so happy its works on the acer older pcbsd did not install so please keep the 7220 support ;)

• November 17, 2012 at 3:35 pm |

My update went perfectly. I always make certain to close every program I have running before starting any update/upgrade and also make sure to leave the installer alone by walking away from my computer as it is updating. I check back every once in a while to see the progress and follow any instructions when prompted to, like rebooting the machine manually if asked to by the installer. Have been doing these things ever since I used Windows XP long ago.

• Digitalus
    November 18, 2012 at 1:54 am |

Which image is the smallest one that comtains all KDE desktop and KDE software?

• November 19, 2012 at 5:05 am |

Looks like USBFull is slightly smaller than DVD. The lite versions do not contain KDE. Having said that, you can always install KDE afterwards using system manager.

• henry
    November 23, 2012 at 2:21 am |

I did an update and it messed up my computer and its currently at Geek Squad being repaired!

• November 26, 2012 at 5:24 am |

Which version were you upgrading from? What error occurred?

• Tom
    November 24, 2012 at 3:38 am |

How’s support for Nvidia Optimus cards now? When leaving Bios option as auto/Optimus, is card switching possible by driver software?
    I don’t need to use the discrete graphics that much performance, but since I’m running a Thinkpad T420s I do need the nvidia card to run external screens.

• November 26, 2012 at 5:18 am |

There isn’t any switching capability, though someone is working on a bumblebee port.

Depending upon the implementation, Optimus may or may not work and you may or may not have to set discrete in the BIOS. There are a few implementations that still don’t work, but most of them do. NVIDIA works fine on my T520, but I have to use discrete mode.

• Haven Hash
    November 25, 2012 at 4:20 am |

Trying out pc-bsd for the first time after spending awhile trying to get a stock FreeBSD desktop working, very nice. So far it’s been pretty good. The installer is good, it wouldn’t let me make a new partition for pc-bsd once I deleted one to use for it though. I think it’s cause it was in the middle of the disk instead of at the end? I added an unformatted partition in knoppix and it used that alright. I couldn’t get anywhere with the Intel driver in the display wizard (just hangs at a light blue screen and I had to reboot), but using VESA works. I read that Intel graphics support was enhanced in 9.1 so I’m updating to that now. The CLI pc-updatemanager is working better for me (gui one fails with perm issues). I followed your instruction above about switching the variable to pcbsdtest and got the new update manager. It’s downloading RC-2 now as it couldn’t see RC-3 I guess.

I was able to install firefox faster than I could install it in on XP, nice work!

Thanks!

• Haven Hash
      November 25, 2012 at 3:26 pm |

Upgrade went smooth, once at RC2 it could see RC3 and that upgrade went smooth as well.

• Jonas Bülow
    December 1, 2012 at 12:02 am |

Trying out pc-bsd for the first time. The installer hangs the computer hard at these stages:
    – the first reboot after (the dialog saying I should remove installation media from drive)
    – the second time when I confirm the detected screen resolution
    – the third time after “press ok to go to login screen” (or similar).

It seems the computer hangs every time it tries to change/restart the X server.

I have to unplug the power to restart the computer. It continues fine when I restart the computer.

• From Belgium
    December 2, 2012 at 9:50 am |

Eagerly awaiting RELEASE :-) Appreciate you take your time and not rush to take a buggy product to the market :-) Will donate, you betcha:-)

• December 3, 2012 at 9:35 am |

Thanks!

• Ldwig
    December 3, 2012 at 10:21 am |

Hi Dru:
    I want to know how near We are of a 9.1 Stable Release?
    Something else…
    Pc-BSD is i5-i7 compatible? Because I want to buy a second hand Dell Laptop and test Pc-BSD with… May I expect troubles??

• Ldwig
      December 3, 2012 at 10:23 am |

Troubles with webcams, sound or wireless…

• December 4, 2012 at 5:41 am |

There is a hardware compatibility icon in the installer that will check for video, sound, wireless compatibility before starting the install. If the webcam works under Linux it will also work as PC-BSD’s webcamd is a port of Video4Linux. You could also check hardware using Live Mode.

• Lars
      December 4, 2012 at 12:29 am |

FreeBSD 9.1 is just around the corner, expect it in the next days.
      And as usually PCBSD 9.1 will follow shortly after.

• Odysseas
    December 6, 2012 at 10:30 am |

Hello!

May is ask what is the state of affairs regarding the TeXlive project in the upcoming release of PC-BSD 9.1?

Many thanks in advance!

• samob
    December 10, 2012 at 12:40 pm |

Hi! I’m following guide to upgrade from 9.0 to 9.1 RC3.
    I completed steps to change patchset variable, and after restart of tray icon it did offer me fix for that app. But after restart of tray icon no new updates are offered from update manager — icon is green and rescan button does nothing (actually it say that system is fully updated). Am I missing some step?
    Best regards!

Samo

# uname –a
    FreeBSD tzm-mb 9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #3: Tue Dec 27 14:14:29 PST 2011 root@build9x64.pcbsd.org:/usr/obj/builds/amd64/pcbsd-build90/fbsd-source/9.0/sys/GENERIC amd64

• mrkd
    December 12, 2012 at 8:19 am |

facing same problem that samob has mentioned above.
    changed PATCHSET to pcbsdtest and ran update manager (tried both gui and pc-updatemanager), which then updated the updatemanager. Using the newly updated updatemanager, the message “system is up to date/fully updated” is displayed from cli/gui.

same amd64 PCBSD version as above.

• December 12, 2012 at 10:29 am |

I checked with Kris on this one and the behaviour you are seeing is correct. The RC3 update is no longer available pending the announcement of release and the release update. We’re waiting for FreeBSD to announce and hope that they do that this week.

• Ben
    December 15, 2012 at 11:40 pm |

Are the PC-BSD binaries compiled with the same compiler that FreeBSD would use? Just curious.

• December 16, 2012 at 7:33 am |

• August 27, 2013 at 3:45 pm |

[…] gelistirmeleri yapildigini belirtti. PC-BSD 9.1-RC3 hakkinda ayrintili bilgi edinmek için sürüm duyurusunu […]

• October 20, 2014 at 7:03 am |

Did another reboot fix it?