Dec

PC-BSD 9.1 Now Available

Kris has just announced the availability of 9.1:

The PC-BSD team is pleased to announce that version 9.1 is now available! This release includes many exciting new features and enhancements, such as a vastly improved system installer, ZFS “Boot Environment” support, TrueOS (A FreeBSD based server with additional power-user utilities), and much more!

DVD, USB and Virtual Machine disk images are now available for download.

Highlights for 9.1-Release

• FreeBSD 9.1.
  • TrueOS: A new server option with PC-BSD utilities such as the Warden available via the CLI.
  • New system installer! Greatly simplified for desktop and server installs.
  • Support for ZFS mirror / raidz(1,2,3) during installation.
  • Support for SWAP on ZFS, allowing entire disk ZFS installation.
  • Support for setting additional ZFS data-set options, such as compression, noexec, etc.
  • Warden jail management integrated into system. Allows creating jails via GUI, adding packages and other administration.
  • Support for Warden to create Linux Jails
  • New “Sound Configuration GUI”
  • New “Hardware compatibility” GUI
  • First boot setup wizard allows OEM installs to be easily performed.
  • New Bluetooth pairing tray / GUI utilities.
  • New EasyPBI utility, allows building PBIs via a GUI interface.
  • New AppCafe improvements and preferences.
  • Improvements to wireless networking utilities.
  • Fixed bug causing untranslated strings to show up empty.
  • Numerous bug-fixes to PC-BSD related utilities.
  • Support for creating PXE boot server for remote desktop and installation.
  • ZFS beadm support.
  • Improved mirror auto-detection for roaming devices, such as laptops.
  • And much more!

Get Involved

Want to help out the PC-BSD project? Found a bug you need to report? You can do so by joining us on our Forums! PC-BSD welcomes new contributors, testers, or simply feedback on how a particular piece of hardware works with BSD.

Documentation

The 9.1 version of the PC-BSD 9.1 Users Handbook is available in HTML, EPUB, and PDF formats. The PDF version will also be available as an icon on the desktop after a desktop installation.

Written by dru. Posted in 9.1

• December 18, 2012 at 4:34 pm |

Awesome! Thanks everyone! :) :)

• bsd-bob
    December 18, 2012 at 4:44 pm |

Great stuff. Any torrent links available?

• xxz
    December 18, 2012 at 5:03 pm |

I’m just confused that FreeBSD 9.1 has not been out till now.

• grェ
    December 18, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
  • lance
    December 18, 2012 at 6:52 pm |

awesome pcbsd, my favorite UNIX OS! THANKS PCBSD!

• Anonymous Coward
    December 18, 2012 at 8:12 pm |

I’m hesitant to try this because of the hardware support. Any realistic chance this system will support a garden variety laptop touchpad? Because it never has before. Every change either does nothing (best case scenario) or completely borks the system into an unbootable mess.

• Ullas
      December 19, 2012 at 3:32 am |

Yeah that was my experience too. I installed it several times and removed it the next day because of wifi and audio problems. What a pity.

• Somewhat Reticent
        December 19, 2012 at 10:19 am |

wiki note — first reference to FreeBSD URL “THIS URL DOES NOT WORK YET” needs to be removed
        (what, no Core Duo?)

• December 19, 2012 at 6:17 pm |

Thanks! Now fixed.

• Anonymous Coward
        December 19, 2012 at 8:32 pm |

Which tells me exactly nothing about supported touchpads. And that hardware compatibility test won’t cut it either.

But based on the numerous posts reporting FAIL on install, looks like skipping it is the best option.

I am amused that a system claiming as its primary goal to be “BSD for the PC” is so horribly behind in support for common PC hardware. It’s JUST NOW offering for Intel graphics and wireless cards?

This is a server with a desktop environment.

• Some Dude
          December 21, 2012 at 9:04 pm |

This is a server with a desktop environment.”

So it’s a bit like linux?

• Anonymous Coward
            December 22, 2012 at 9:44 pm |

That would be a vast improvement.

You’re not really trying to compare BSD’s desktop/laptop hardware support to the Linux kernel.… right?

Bottom line is this — if PCBSD wants to be a desktop system, it’s going to have to build upon FreeBSD’s kernel, not just slap a desktop environment on top of it and call it “PC friendly.”

• Howie
    December 18, 2012 at 8:37 pm |

Hey folks, just letting you know that the image file to this link —> ftp://​mirrors​.isc​.org/​p​u​b​/​p​c​b​s​d​/​9​.​1​/​i​386​/​P​C​B​S​D​9​.​1​-​x​86​-​U​S​B​L​I​T​E​.​i​m​g​.​bz2 isn’t working on my USB drive. I’ve tried for 30 minutes now to get this image to work. I’m getting “Invalid partition table” and “No boot partition found” error messages. The USB flash drive works because I put the Linux Mint iso on it afterwards to make sure the flash drive wasn’t bad and it booted into live mode just fine.

• December 19, 2012 at 4:00 am |

What command did you use to transfer the image to the USB device?

• Howie
        December 19, 2012 at 10:34 am |

Hi Dru,

I followed the instructions in the PCBSD handbook. bunzip2 and dd. I also verified checksum and it was fine.

• December 19, 2012 at 6:12 pm |

What’s the size of the USB drive?

• Howie
            December 19, 2012 at 8:16 pm |

4 gigabyte

• December 21, 2012 at 7:20 am |

Do you have a 8GB drive you can try? Some 4GB drives have a capacity of 3.7 or 3.8 GBs, meaning that the image may not quite fit.

• Howie
                December 21, 2012 at 11:19 am |

No sir, I do not. FYI, when it finishes dd’ing in the command line, the actual file size says it is 1.1 gigabyte and I don’t get any errors telling me that I’m out of space either. So I should have plenty of space for that file.

I’ve also used a gui archiver program and it says it is 1.1 gigabyte as well.

• guest
                  December 22, 2012 at 8:36 pm |

Should I be using a different partition/format setup? I’ve been using MS-DOS partition table and formatting with FAT32.”

• December 27, 2012 at 5:25 am |

There was a problem with the 32-bit USB which has now been fixed and should start to appear on the mirrors. The 64-bit USB did not have this problem.

• December 18, 2012 at 10:58 pm |

I’m going to install this on my Dell Opti 745. I hope this works, for I have so longed to want to use PC-BSD as a desktop OS. I had installed PC-BSD 9.1 rc3 and it was a mess. So here goes.. :) I hope I don’t haft to end up going back to windows. But if I do.. oh well.

• walterh
    December 18, 2012 at 11:12 pm |

Awsome! This is a nice pre-christmas gift :)

• December 18, 2012 at 11:22 pm |

X setup will not show it’s face. upon installing when it’s saying detecting X setup. The screen goes black. So I guess I’m going back to windows 7. :( Now the waiting sets in for
    PC-BSD 9.2 rc1

• billc
      December 19, 2012 at 12:52 am |

Thanks Kris, Dru and everyone involved. This is just stunning — ZFS, the various types of jails: PCBSD is the new standard for open source innovation.

• billc
        December 19, 2012 at 12:54 am |

Sorry Michael I intended to submit a new post rather than reply to you. What hardware do you have?

• December 19, 2012 at 4:33 am |

Thanks!

• December 19, 2012 at 4:28 am |

What type of video?

• manohar
    December 19, 2012 at 2:16 am |

PCBSD 9.0 worked fine on my compaq vt 3000 laptop. Hope 9.1 works fine on my laptop.

• Nir
    December 19, 2012 at 2:17 am |

i installed PC-BSD v9.1 and after the installtion it tell me to press F1:FreeBsd and (it pressed automatic) and it wont boot

• December 19, 2012 at 4:30 am |

Which disk layout did you use? e.g. did you use the Customize button or accept the defaults?

• Rpple
    December 19, 2012 at 2:23 am |

Thank you for your hard work but when trying to boot I got “Opearing system not found” here, no idea what was wrong.
    PCBSD9.1 USB Live 32bit on an ADATA 8Gb drive. Checksum was OK.

• December 19, 2012 at 4:31 am |

Which disk layout did you use? Did you use the Customize button or accept the defaults?

• Rpple
        December 19, 2012 at 8:35 pm |

Hi, dru. I was just trying to boot from the usb after I dded PCBSD 9.1 USB Live 32 bit into it. I did not get a chance to install PCBSD on my HDD.

• December 21, 2012 at 7:18 am |

I see. What commands did you use to transfer the image to the USB device?

• Rpple
            December 21, 2012 at 10:08 pm |

I am using Ubuntu 12.10.
            sudo dd if=[PCBSDUSBLive.img] of=/dev/sdc(my usb) bs=1M conv=sync
            sudo sync

• December 27, 2012 at 5:27 am |

• Chris
    December 19, 2012 at 2:28 am |

well.. FAIL! on intel GFX..

It detected the gfx as “intel” then black screen (in fact there were no signal to the monitor).

• December 19, 2012 at 4:32 am |

Which model of Intel? Is this an Optimus or only one input?

• Chris
        December 19, 2012 at 4:46 am |

Thanx for the reply!

Its an H67 SandyBridge (i5-2500).

the PCBSD starts, recognizes the gfx (as “intel”), I can confirm the resolution too.
        Then there is no signal…

I tried manually with intel and intel-3d, same results.

• January 7, 2013 at 7:07 am |

Hmmm, SandyBridge is supposed to be supported now. Do you have any display options in the system BIOS?

• callado
          June 17, 2013 at 1:04 am |

I just installed the latest rolling snapshot. Same problem, no signal after starting X. But the solution was simple. Switch to VESA (both during install and at the first login after the install), then delete xorg.conf and it was OK. I have Intel G41 chipset.

• Chris
            June 17, 2013 at 7:07 am |

cheers mate, I will try this the next time I m going to test the PCBSD

• callado
              June 17, 2013 at 11:16 am |

Apparently I have to do that at every boot.:(

• December 19, 2012 at 2:31 am |

[…] 该版本基于 FreeBSD 9.1,详细内容请看发行说明。 […]

• […] Увидел свет релиз десктоп-ориентированной операционной системы PC-BSD 9.1, основанной на кодовой базе FreeBSD 9.1 (релиз FreeBSD 9.1 ожидается в течение нескольких часов). В качестве пользовательского окружения по умолчанию предлагается KDE 4.9. Для систем с ограниченными ресурсами предусмотрена возможность использования окружений GNOME2, LXDE и Xfce. Развитие PC-BSD курирует компания iXsystems, которая активно участвует в развитии FreeBSD, например, способствует улучшению поддержки ZFS и спонсирует многие инициативы FreeBSD Foundation. […]

• December 19, 2012 at 5:13 am |

Excellent Work. Congrats!

• nir2142
    December 19, 2012 at 5:35 am |

good woork BUT NOT ENOUGH!!

alots of bugs alots of BLACK SCREEN at BOOT (for alot a users)

HOW DO YOU RELEASE THIS WHEN YOU HAVE ALOTS OFO BUGS??

• December 19, 2012 at 6:24 pm |

It depends upon the hardware. Some video chipsets are still known to be problematic with FreeBSD.

• […] 该版本基于 FreeBSD 9.1,详细内容请看发行说明。 […]

• […] 该版本基于 FreeBSD 9.1,详细内容请看发行说明。 […]

• December 19, 2012 at 8:31 am |

[…] zprávy 19/12/2012PC-BSD 9.1Nová verzia ne-linuxového operačného systému PC-BSD 9.1 prišla včera s radou pekných noviniek (vylepšený inštalátor systému, podpora ZFS “Boot […]

• December 19, 2012 at 12:30 pm |

[…] 9.1 Now Available Posted: December 19, 2012 / in: Linux / No comments The PC-BSD team has announced that PC-BSD 9.1 is now available. “This release includes many exciting new features and […]

• Trevor
    December 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm |

Just upgraded today, and it is really sweet! Nice improvements! My only question is what is KDE going to do when they hit version 5.0?

• December 19, 2012 at 6:28 pm |

Not sure. But we’ll include it once the 5.0 port becomes available.

• Pc-Bsd Hispano
    December 19, 2012 at 12:48 pm |

Felicitaciones !! al equipo de PC-BSD un sistema Unix que sigue creciendo y lo mejor de todo orientado al usuario de escritorio.. de fácil instalación y manejo.. ojala cada día la comunidad PC-BSD hispana sea mas grande y a nivel global también.. A recomendar PC-BSD y a ganar nuevos fans !!

• December 19, 2012 at 6:08 pm |

Gracias!

• December 19, 2012 at 1:34 pm |

support for i5 atheros and intel 4000
    Still black screen wish i knew how to program and not moan love the ethos behind bsd

• December 19, 2012 at 1:47 pm |

[…] PC-BSD team has announced that PC-BSD 9.1 is now available. “This release includes many exciting new features and […]

• Ben
    December 19, 2012 at 3:32 pm |

Good news: wifi works, graphics work.

Bad news: basic vesa graphics. :(

New Gateway laptop with an AMD A6 APU, so I wasn’t too surprised, but it’s still unfortunate. I suppose it won’t be too long before FreeBSD gets it’s graphics stack back up to speed now that they have most things compiling with clang; until then, I’ll anxiously be waiting. ^_^

(hoping someone implements what’s necessary for wayland to work too, but not as worried or optimistic about that)

• TJ
    December 19, 2012 at 8:29 pm |

Anyone happen to know if this will install/boot on a late 2008 MBP 5,1 without bootcamp or a Mac OS install (preferably single partition)?

• TJ
      December 25, 2012 at 3:35 am |

Just an update, doing the install from DVD using the _defaults_, the OS installed and booted fine without ACPI, but the wireless {Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.106.98.81.22)} did not work. Not sure if it needed to be set up manually, or which of the two drivers to use.

Rebooted with ACPI enabled, and the battery was no longer recognized as charged and healthy, but as broken/missing. Rebooted once again with ACPI disabled, and the battery appeared fine once again.

A bit of searching shows that FreeBSD has a driver for the SMC in the Intel Macs, but I’m not sure if this is needed or not for proper operation with or without ACPI. Is this just for displaying SMC data?

Sooooo close to being able to go back to FreeBSD (well, PCBSD :^)

• January 7, 2013 at 6:53 am |

Thanks for the feedback!

• Wally
    December 19, 2012 at 11:23 pm |

Great Work, I just installed it in my Laptop , a Samsung R580 and it is perfectly working OK

• December 20, 2012 at 12:13 am |

[…] support, TrueOS (A FreeBSD based server with additional power-user utilities), and much more!via Official PC-BSD Blog » PC-BSD 9.1 Now Available.If you don’t want an open source operating system but are wary of the petty squabbling over […]

• December 20, 2012 at 12:14 am |

jalan sangat bagus di asus slimbook (amd brazos), mudah-mudahan bisa jadi main os.

• Sérgio
    December 20, 2012 at 8:02 am |

Update Manager in 9.1 RC3 doesn’t display system upgrade yet. “Your system is fully updated!”

• Sérgio
      December 20, 2012 at 8:26 am |

Edit: maybe it’s a network issue… Using pc-updatemanager check: “no route to FTP host…” All in all, the network issue should have been reported, instead of “Your system is fully updated!“
      I’ll check at home tonight.

• December 21, 2012 at 7:14 am |

The upgrade to 9.1 may not be on the system mirrors yet as we’re still waiting for FreeBSD to announce. Or it may not be on your particular mirror yet–you can check by changing the default mirror in System Manager.

• Sérgio
        December 21, 2012 at 8:03 am |

OK, it worked yesterday night. It was just a network issue. Thanks, after all.

• Pc-bsd fans
    December 20, 2012 at 12:33 pm |

Anyone can upload, or do some video review on PC-BSD 9.1 final version

• […] десктоп-ориентированной ОС PC-BSD 9.1 Увидел свет релиз десктоп-ориентированной операционной системы […]

• December 21, 2012 at 1:10 am |

[…] equipo de desarrolladores de este sistema operativo ha anunciado la disponibilidad de PC-BSD 9.1, una versión que incluye mejoras muy interesantes, como un nuevo […]

• kapz
    December 21, 2012 at 5:03 am |

Well in the past PC-BSD(7.2) didn’t fare well with my then ancient compaq laptop…anyway the situation has not changed much it seems. I tried booting pc-bsd x64 dvd image with my Lenovo G560 laptop (intel core i3 with 4 gb ram and non optimus nvidia card) but after loading “CD loader” it just stays there doing nothing! Then I tried using it inside virtual-box but there too it crashes giving panic : page fault error. It’s great disappointment as I want to USE bsd but it just crashes, now and before.

• December 21, 2012 at 6:14 am |

Have you tried the 32-bit version? If it is an ancient Compaq, it may not support 64-bit.

• kapz
        December 21, 2012 at 10:04 am |

dru, as I mentioned in the comment, I am using x64 dvd on Lenovo G560 with intel core i3 processor which has amd64 instruction set! I tried the same dvd on other system and it boots fine to installer, don’t know why it wont boot up on Lenovo laptop or Virtualbox for that matter. I hope you read this comment properly.

• December 21, 2012 at 10:29 am |

Might be a BIOS option or a faulty DVD reader on the system that won’t boot. Regarding virtualbox on that system, what is the size of the VM?

• kapz
            December 21, 2012 at 8:20 pm |

The PC-BSD dvd i created was on that Lenovo laptop and other bootable cd/dvd work fine so I can confirm it’s not DVD reader’s fault. The VM has 1.5 GB RAM and 10 GB HDD. Thgank you for your time.

• Pomo
      December 30, 2012 at 11:10 pm |

Yup. I get the exact same problem running PCBSD 9.1 in Virtualbox on Windows. It has an uptime of 1s and panics with a page fault.

• December 31, 2012 at 6:52 am |

Weird. Which PC-BSD file did you download and what are the specs of the virtual machine?

• Christoph Haas
      January 4, 2013 at 5:38 am |

Same here. Interestingly enough, both FreeBSD 9.1 x64 and PC-BSD 9.1 x64 show the exact same beahvior. Both keep crashing after a while, running inside Virtualbox 4.2.6 on OS X 10.8. Just before this happens, Virtualbox pops up a dialog box, reminding me that mouse pointer sharing is not supported for the currently running system, and a few seconds afterwards the VM crashes and reboots without warning.

Interestingly enough, FreeBSD 9.0 (and –STABLE up to 9.1-RELEASE) does not show this effect, running on the exact same host setup.

So to me it seems, that this issue is not directly related to PC-BSD, but to either FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE of Virtualbox 4.2.6 or to an odd combination of the two.

Cheers,
      Christoph

• Christoph Haas
        January 4, 2013 at 5:42 am |

BTW, here’s the setup of the virtual machine:

1 core (of an 4-core Intel i7)
        2 GB of RAM
        32GB Virtual IDE hard disk

The installation images I used were the PC-BSD 9.1 x64 DVD image and the FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE amd64 “disc1” installation image.

• Christoph Haas
        January 4, 2013 at 8:51 am |

After fiddling around a little more, I was able to narrow down the source of the issue a little bit. The crashing stopped once I moved Virtualbox’s hard disk images from the virtual ide hba to the virtual sata hba. Now I was able to install PC-BSD 9.1 successfully and everything seems to work as expected.

The question remains, though, whether this is a FreeBSD issue (a problem/bug in the ide driver) or some sort of bug in Virtualbox’s ide emulation.

Cheers,
        Christoph

• December 21, 2012 at 8:06 am |

[…] into system; support for Warden to create Linux jails….” Read the rest of the release announcement for further […]

• mato
    December 24, 2012 at 4:51 pm |

Well, so I’ve updated 9.0 to 9.1 and this is what I’ve noticed so far:

- Bluetooth icon does not change colour nor it displays any (mouse-over) tool-tip to inform about successfully connected device.

- Clicking on Refresh button in Control Panel freezes Control Panel completely. Also I noticed freeze of CP due to an other reason, so it seems it is not very stable.

- Update Manager does not show size of the package upfront. And it is not possible to pause / skip package download once you realise it’s too big and you’d rather have other apps installed first.

- It is not possible to mark a package not to be updated. It would be rather useful feature.

- Selecting nvidia driver does not work for me at all. Why? I cannot even see legacy driver versions in selection dropbox. I had to choose nv driver and that’s a poor choice.

- And where can I find some kind of Nvidia Control Panel ? I’d like to activate & set up external monitor.

- Where has Kopete gone ? Installing the one from PBI dir brings KDE 3.5 in (!)

- I was getting some uhidd warnings during boot. Why? If it is needed, it should have been enabled.

- Also webcamd seems to try to attach twice to the same device (and fails on 2nd try).

I read there are many new features in new 9.1 and it’s probably true and great. But from an average user perspective there are still many rough edges easily spotted after short time of playing with PC-BSD. Please focus on those first, you cannot make first impression twice. ;-) Thanks and good luck!

• January 7, 2013 at 6:55 am |

Thanks for the update. We are looking into the issues you reported.

• UnnamedPlayer
    December 25, 2012 at 8:57 am |

All USB images can not be booted on a non EFI PCs, because:
    1. There is no boot code in the MBR, because there is no MBR in image — it is partition(slice) image, but not the whole disk image;
    2. There is no boot code in bsd slice;
    p.s.
    Sorry for bad english and how i can upload these broken images back in to pcbsd​.org server ?

• Rpple
      December 26, 2012 at 3:57 am |

Thanks for letting me know this.
      My bios just does not support UFEI.

• Rpple
      December 26, 2012 at 4:00 am |

Well, I mean efi. Sorry about that.

• roel
      December 26, 2012 at 6:11 pm |

I have same experience with all usb image. When booting report: System Operation not found. Fix please..

• December 27, 2012 at 5:31 am |

It looks like this problem was only with the 32-bit USB images. These have been fixed and should start to appear on the mirrors.

• Tine
    December 27, 2012 at 3:56 am |

Which one is the smallest download that still includes KDE? Or maybe there is even a download that includes only KDE?

• December 27, 2012 at 5:08 am |

The DVD and USB versions are ~3.5 GB and the vmware/virtualbox versions are ~2.5 GB. There is no KDE-only version.

• pcbeesd
    December 27, 2012 at 5:54 pm |

Hi,

Does PCBSD 9.1 understand UEFI Boot?

PCBSD 9.0 didnt understand it on my Lenovo Z570 laptop. It overwrote the EFI Boot info. :(

Hope 9.1 understands it.

Any idea anyone?

• January 3, 2013 at 9:16 am |

FreeBSD does not have a UEFI boot-loader yet. However it can boot most UEFI motherboards, if they have a legacy BIOS option .

• Ursaring93
    January 1, 2013 at 1:57 pm |

Can the DVD version be used as a live-CD or is it install only?

• January 2, 2013 at 5:15 am |

Unless the media file says live, it is an install version.

• January 2, 2013 at 12:08 am |

please help me my gsm and cdma modem cant not conneceted to my laptop.…i have D-link modem W152 and Huawei 152…please help me to connected to PCBSD email me step by step to simple how to make connected…plese email me hariska.budiman[at]gmail.com and thanks for help

• January 2, 2013 at 5:09 am |

Check to see if there is anything on forums​.freebsd​.org. We have yet to find someone with this setup working on PC-BSD to assist us in documenting how to do it.

• Arad
    January 2, 2013 at 6:42 am |

1 — PCBSD9.1-x86-USB-live.img.bz2 MD5 in gotbsd​.net is not the same as http://​www​.pcbsd​.org/​e​n​/​d​o​w​n​l​o​a​d​.​h​tml. so which one is correct ?

2 — i have tried usb live x64 and after confirming my graphic settings, pcbsd turns off my monitor, absolutely no signal then i have to restart my laptop ( sandy bridge ) and this time i am asked for user/pass which i have never set. FYI i was not able to boot live usb x86 at all.
    linux mint can’t handle sandy bridge and my cpu temperature jumps over 70C. don’t leave me with Win7 plz

• January 7, 2013 at 7:05 am |

Point #1 has been addressed at gotbsd​.net (i.e. it now matches the correct PC-BSD website MD5s).

Sandybridge is supposed to be supported now. What type of display options do you have in the system BIOS?

• January 9, 2013 at 8:18 am |

VirtualBox disk does not work (for me).
    I have tried _both_ PCBSD9.1-*-VBOX.vdi.bz2, just in case I am insane, and in _both_ cases I get: “CPU doesn’t support long mode”.

• January 9, 2013 at 8:21 am |

That message indicate that your CPU does not support 64-bit virtual images. You are getting the same error for the 32-bit one? If so, does the MD5 for that file match the one on the PC-BSD download website?

• January 9, 2013 at 8:13 pm |

Right; I knew about the 64-bit not supported on my 32-bit VBox.
    I check the MD5 first thing, so I am quite certain I downloaded the right file.
    Something is not right.

• eddie
    January 12, 2013 at 4:23 am |

I’m having the same issue with the display configuration as stated by several others.

First reboot after install takes me to the screen to confirm the systems graphic settings, and selecting it ( or any other resolution, for example 800x600, turns off the monitor signal. The only way out is a hard reboot and then selecting VESA, which works.

I’ve tried this on three systems and its the same.

PCBSD9.1-x64-DVD
    * Dell Inspiron N5010
    * A desktop with a Intel DG965RY board

PCBSD9.1-x86-DVD
    * Toshiba NB100

The other issue is with the installer. It gives you control over partitioning with the easy, intermediate, and expert levels. However, it does not allow much of customization in other areas. For example, I cannot set the hostname. I select minimum GNOME, but yet there are additional applications installed which I do not want.…. > Database Browser, Qt*, gedit, gvim, AND, emacs?? Give me a choice and and I’ll pick my favorite :) It also leaves the menu with invalid entries… Games > AMOR ?

• January 16, 2013 at 2:36 pm |

Hi PCBSD team,
    I’m planning to move completely to PCBSD 9.1,
    So i’d like to know which are the 3 best (not-too old) or more compatible laptop models to run PCBSD, fast, fluent and fully working hardware, with resolution 1440x900 or 1920x1200. I’d look for them and buy one.
    Your suggestions woould be really appreciatted.

• January 25, 2013 at 9:56 am |

I’m using a ThinkPad E420 which works great, you just have to change the graphics to discrete in the BIOS.

I’ve also had good luck with most modern ThinkPads and that is what the PC-BSD team uses.

BTW, we are working on a hardware website to list supported hardware, but it will be another month or so before the site is ready to go live.

• January 20, 2013 at 9:55 pm |

[…] ◆2012/12/18 『デスクトップ向けBSD OS「PC-BSD 9.1」リリース』 → http://blog.pcbsd.org/2012/12/pc-bsd-91-now-available/ […]

• Georgios Papadopoulos
    February 3, 2013 at 10:35 am |

Hello to all.

I just installed PC-BSD 9.1 –it is really great job; my congratulations on that. Sadly, I have to report a yet remaining problem/bug: it seems that either the driver for my WiFi card is not supported –as it is stated in the Wiki pages– or
    the system does not handle well hidden wireless networks –as it was stated when PC-BSD 9.1 was released.

Now, my card is a Realtek, RTL8187B which uses urtw driver. Because I have used other *nix systems (like OpenIndiana) which use exactly the same driver, I conclude that the first scenario is excluded. Therefore, it seems that there is a remaining problem when it comes to configuring hidden wireless networks. I am saying “remaining” because that problem has been there since version 8.0 (hubble).

So, I was wondering if there is any work-around, or should I wait for release 10?

Thanks in advance

• July 31, 2013 at 1:15 am |

[…] December: The PC-BSD Team announces the availablilty of […]

• Olufisayo
    August 11, 2013 at 3:39 pm |

Please help someone. I want to install PC-BSD 9.1 on HP elitebook 2540p but can’t. The OS won’t boot. Message shown is “boot file not found”. I’ve tried both 32bit and 64bit. What can I do?

• August 12, 2013 at 5:04 am |

Are you using the DVD or USB version? Which tool did you use to write the file to the install media?

• Olufisayo
        August 13, 2013 at 3:25 am |

I used the 32bit and 64bit DVD version, both written to DVD with brasero. Also, I used the 32bit USB-live version of PC-BSD 9.0 written to USB with USB image writer. I think the problem’s got something to do with the video driver because PC-BSD 9.0 & 9.1 worked remarkably well on an Acer Aspire One D250 I had. Do you think I should wait for PC-BSD 10, when is that to be expected?

• August 13, 2013 at 5:24 am |

It depends upon which file you used (the date in its name) and the type of video card. There was an issue with Intel that was fixed in the –STABLE-p7-0806-2013 version. However the error you posted does not sound like a video error but rather a usb image error (usb stick too small or using windows to format the stick). Posting more details on the PC-BSD forums would make it easier to troubleshoot.

We won’t know the 10 release schedule until after 9.2 is released.

• Olufisayo
    August 13, 2013 at 2:13 pm |

I downloaded the 9.0 and 9.1 versions I have just as soon as they were released which is before 08/06/2013 so I guess the bug’s in my copies. I’ll download the stable-p7 USB Live version, try it out and get back to you. Thank you. Why isn’t there torrent link for the stable versions?

• August 13, 2013 at 2:23 pm |

The backend CDN is as fast as a torrent.

• Sergio
    August 31, 2013 at 12:58 pm |

Why is not available the PC-BSD version 32-bit?

• Saeed
    December 21, 2013 at 1:10 am |

Hi
    I installed FreeBSD and then Xorg and Enlightenment on my multi-boot Fujitsu AH530.
    But E17 has problem with ecore and Xcomposite.
    Then I decided to install PCBSD. Now I have a 64bit live PCBSD on a 16GB SD card. But it hangs on the first page (PCBSD wall-paper) and asks me if it recognized right monitor (1366*768 Intel) which is right; but I can’t choose YES since nothing works, keyboard arrows, mouse, touchpad.
    Then I use ctrl+alt+del to reboot.

• December 23, 2013 at 6:02 am |

Which version of PC-BSD? The Intel driver has improved significantly since 9.1.