Apr

Important Notice for PC-BSD 9.1 32bit users

A number of PC-BSD 32bit users have reported problems booting their
systems after applying the latest FreeBSD update patches. We have found the problem and will have a bugfix issued shortly. Once this bugfix is issued, you may then continue re-applying FreeBSD updates. If this has affected your system, you can fix it manually following the directions below.

NOTE: At this time it *only* seems to be hitting users of 9.1-Release on 32bit / i386.

Fixing the problem

If your system has run into this issue, and can no longer boot, you can fix it with the following steps:

1. Boot your 9.1-Release DVD / USB media to the installation screen

2. Right-click on the desktop to open “xterm”

3. Mount your PC-BSD partition:

# mount /dev/ada0s1a /mnt
(Replace “ada0s1” with the disk name / partition number)

4. Copy the original /boot/loader file
# cp /mnt/boot/loader.old /mnt/boot/loader

5. Unmount and reboot

# umount /mnt
# shutdown –r now

A fix named “Boot-loader — beastie” fix has been issued and is being updated to the mirrors as of April 9. Once the update is installed, it is safe to do the freebsd-update.

Since it takes time to sync to all of the mirrors, be sure that it downloads and installs before running freebsd-update.

Written by Kris Moore. Posted in Uncategorized

• Victor King
    April 9, 2013 at 9:07 am |

Thank you so much for this fix. I’ve been using & highly recommending PCBSD since it’s very early days.

Got both my old and new installations up and running again (I did a clean install on a different disk-drive, when I hadn’t solved the problem) .

Thank you for all your hard work, creativity and production of this fine, robust OS.

Was a bit of a scare but I can now continue using & singing PCBSD’s praises (& the fine team behind it’s evolution too of course).

Best wishes for continued success.

• April 12, 2013 at 7:04 am |

Something useful I find myself wanting during this experience, was a system repair type disk that could be used to restore an un-bootable or buggered system back to it’s basics without overwriting the home directory or installed programs.”

Yes, if this is possible or there is already some way to do this, please let us know, Thanks. :)

• Abdelmalek Boumali
    April 23, 2013 at 1:24 am |

Hi
    i don’t boot to the my pcbsd-9.1 after after applying the latest FreeBSD update patche.
    How to resolve this without make a new installation
    regards

• Reinier
    April 30, 2013 at 2:06 am |

I have on Sunday installed PC-BSD from PCBSD9.1-x64-USBLITE.img uname –a tells me FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE Tue 27 NOV 03:45:16 UTC 2012 and amd64. I have since done a system update and it did about 4 updates. No it is stuck on the beastie.4th which does not install. I get “Update Failed” ERRR: Failed to download: Boot-loader and beastie.4th fixes.
    Another FreeBSD Securiy update shows after the 4th but will not install.
    What should I do?
    Regards

• Carabas
    May 13, 2013 at 1:50 pm |

Same problem as Reinier after a fresh install of PC-BSD x64. There’s no way to perform a system update. Any solution ?
    Thx

• David
    May 16, 2013 at 6:55 am |

Hello,
    Today I tried to aply the “boot-loader-bestie” fix alongside of a FreeBSD security update. It was the only updates available. I’m using PC-BSD 9.1 32 bits. I marked both (all) and clicked to install. The first one was unable to be downloaded but the second did. And after changing to different mirrors, the result was tha same. When rebooting later, the system did not boot and I followed the directions above. It went well and the system booted again. When trying if there was any update, the system tray notification said all was updated but in opening the update manager it found the two previous items again. Marking only the “boot-loader fix” it was impossible to download. So here it is where I am in this problem.
    For the time being and for some time, I will not aply any FreeBSD update to avoid going through this again. Any other suggestion?
    Thanks for the instructions on this page.