Apr

PC-BSD Announces Package Repository for PC-BSD and FreeBSD 9.1

The PC-BSD Project is pleased to announce the details on how to access their new PKGNG repository, for PC-BSD and FreeBSD 9.1-Release systems.

This package repository is frequently updated, usually bi-weekly, with the latest and greatest from the FreeBSD ports tree. We will be using this repository for the PC-BSD rolling release edition, but it can also be used anywhere else you need packages on a PC-BSD or FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE system. This can include FreeBSD, TrueOS, PC-BSD, Jails and more. Getting setup to use this new repository is easy, and only requires minimal configuration. For detailed instructions, take a look at the step-by-step directions on the PC-BSD wiki.

Written by dru. Posted in new features

• April 3, 2013 at 11:52 am |

Cool, Thank you very much Kris, Dru and everyone else! :)

• April 3, 2013 at 11:53 am |

You’re welcome!

• April 3, 2013 at 2:28 pm |

Yay, pkgng for everyone! I already love it in the current 9.1 images. Soon I will switch my server from Debian to FreeBSD, good to know I’ll have pkgng there. Thanks!

• April 12, 2013 at 6:59 am |

Nice!

• Noy
    April 4, 2013 at 12:34 am |

Cool job, I love it. When will iso image of PCBSD with KDE 4.10 will come out?

• April 4, 2013 at 6:29 am |

The rolling release that is currently being tested and which should be ready by next week was built with KDE 4.9.5. The rolling release after that one will be 4.10.

• April 5, 2013 at 2:27 am |

God Job Guys, looking forward upgrading to kde 4.10

• Blazingice
    April 4, 2013 at 5:57 am |

Brilliant! Are all the ports available from pkgng repository? I can’t find zoneminder? Thanks

• April 4, 2013 at 6:27 am |

Yes, all the ones that build. Freshports indicates that zoneminder is currently marked as broken.

• blazingice
        April 5, 2013 at 2:55 am |

Thank you. I see what you mean. However have all the packages been tested that they work? I was trying to install subversion in FreeBSD using pcbsd repository, but it didn’t work. Pkgng couldn’t find the libiconv file. So, how safe is to mix FreeBSD and pcbsd packages? Thanks for all the work you are doing.

• Roland
    April 4, 2013 at 12:12 pm |

Dear Kris and Dru,
    Maybe it is the wrong place to ask this general question, but I’m searching for an answer already quite a wile.
    I’m familiar with Linux and BSD for quit some years, however it is not my main system (I’m using a mac). But I’m using PCBSD in Virtualbox as a test machine, because I would like to set up a server with it, and using it also maybe later as main system with an other PC. However, one of the main points that I got me always back to Linux or mac is actually the more updated software that I want to use. To give an example: I love GIMP. in the 2.8 version you have now a single window option; I know I also can do perfectly fine my work with the 2.6 version without single window option, however I really like this option (makes live easier). Knowing that PCBSD is changing to an rolling release I was thinking, “perfect problem solved, it will have the newest software” I guess I’m wrong! If PKGNG is using the FreeBSD Ports Tree I only again can get the 2.6 GIMP version. What or how can I get the 2.8 version running on pcbsd 9.1??? And will the rolling release system of PCBSD change in the actuality of the software?
    Just for the rest: I LOVE WHAT YOU ARE DOING!
    Cheers Roland

• beastie
      April 7, 2013 at 7:21 am |

@Roland

FreshPorts shows GIMP 2.8 is already available: http://​www​.freshports​.org/​s​e​a​r​c​h​.​p​h​p​?​q​u​e​r​y​=​g​imp

GIMP 2.8 packages on PC-BSD PKGNG repo also seem to be available for both amd64 and i386 systems:

ftp> cd pub/pcbsd/packages/9.1-RELEASE/amd64/All
      250 Directory successfully changed.
      ftp> ls gimp*
      229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||17065|).
      150 Here comes the directory listing.
      –rw-r–r– 1 ftp ftp 5140 Mar 26 17:03 gimp-2.8.4,2.txz
      –rw-r–r– 1 ftp ftp 11939964 Mar 26 11:05 gimp-app-2.8.4_1,1.txz

ftp> cd /pub/pcbsd/packages/9.1-RELEASE/i386/All
      250 Directory successfully changed.
      ftp> ls gimp*
      229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||17692|).
      150 Here comes the directory listing.
      –rw-r–r– 1 ftp ftp 5144 Mar 27 22:44 gimp-2.8.4,2.txz
      –rw-r–r– 1 ftp ftp 11710576 Mar 26 11:12 gimp-app-2.8.4_1,1.txz

• Roland
        April 8, 2013 at 1:01 pm |

Thanks beastie for this information.… I didn’t know about the website that you mentioned. I looked always in following website: http://​www​.freebsd​.org/​p​o​r​ts/

I’m looking forward to try it out…
        Cheers Roland

• April 11, 2013 at 11:01 am |

And it also looks like 2.8 is available in Appcafe. If 2.6 is already installed, AppCafe should indicate there is an update available. With the AppCafe (PBI) system, new versions are automagically rebuilt once the underlying FreeBSD port is updated. Assuming there is not an error with the build, it appears in AppCafe within a few days.

• John
    April 4, 2013 at 4:42 pm |

It is nice to see this happening. I just wish that PCBSD could come up with their own instead of using freebsd ports. I know I would love to use Gnome 3.8 but people are just building 3.4 and not even 3.6. PCBSD is slow on updates I know because of freebsd. If this changes then I will be back but until then I will continue to use Linux.

• Cotic
    April 6, 2013 at 3:39 am |

• Gatekeeper
    April 6, 2013 at 8:07 pm |

PKGNG created a truckload of dependencies which I cannot fix. This is not acceptable and you should give a proper warning to anyone pursuing this package manager change as problems will arise — just check the FreeBSD forums for numerous posts about package breakages.

I’ve gone back to PC-BSD 9.1 Release with the older PKG for now and will stay there until some stability returns with PKGNG.

Having a broken X and non usable desktop with many dependencies is not my idea of fun. Luckily all this was done in a virtual machine so I can easily rectify problems.

Others might not bo so lucky.

• April 12, 2013 at 6:41 am |

Thanks for the feedback. We are working with the pkgng dev to resolve these issues.

• beastie
    April 7, 2013 at 7:28 am |

A big thank you to everyone who made this possible!

• […] et TrueOS cela signifie que les utilisateurs de ces trois projets seront en mesure de profiter des nouveaux dépôts. Le blog de ​​PC-BSD rapporte: «Ce dépôt de paquets est fréquemment mis à jour, […]

• […] Repository for PC-BSD and FreeBSD 9.1 Posted on April 18, 2013 by Gerard The PC-BSD Project has announced the details on how to access their new PKGNG repository, for PC-BSD and FreeBSD 9.1-Release […]

• AC
    April 18, 2013 at 5:09 pm |

Thank you for your efforts!

Does it mean PBI thing is going to be abandoned?

Btw, why there’s no link to blog​.pcbsd​.org on the entry page of pcbsd​.org?

• April 18, 2013 at 5:26 pm |

Definitely not :-) It does mean that users can now safely install both pkgng software and PBIs outside of a jail without an upgrade deleting their pkgng packages.

I’ll ask the webmaster to add a link to the blog.

• terminus
    April 19, 2013 at 12:32 am |

Thank you very much for this repo! It is one of the things that I waiting for to start using FreeBSD-9.1 on my desktop. Cool!!! =)

• April 19, 2013 at 6:46 am |

You’re welcome! Enjoy.

• May 8, 2013 at 12:01 am |

[…] PC-BSD объявил о создании дополнительного репозитория пакетов для […]

• hvn
    June 8, 2013 at 11:56 am |

I love PCBSD. Installed it today, but I have 1 big issue: downloading with AppCafe goes at 350kb, which is incredibly slow (for me). I already tried the 5 repo servers but it stays slow. As I’m in Europe, I’ve tried to find servers here but couldn’t find any. Can someone give me repo servers in my region if there are any? Thank you!

• hvn
    June 10, 2013 at 11:12 am |

Thank you for the list. I chose a new mirror and got a download at 2550kb average. Quite an improvement.

• June 10, 2013 at 11:28 am |

Great!

• MDB
    September 20, 2013 at 2:20 am |

Thx for the great service! Just one request: Could you try to integrate security reports (from VuxML?) into the build process.

The goal would be to give building of packages with security fixes higher priority.

Currently packages firefox, flash and thunderbirds are still vulnerable which is not a good situation from a security point of view.

• September 20, 2013 at 9:39 am |

We’re working towards that. ATM, the infrastructure only supports bi-monthly builds. We hope to increase that infrastructure to support weekly builds.

• Marcos
    September 23, 2013 at 6:27 pm |

Thanks to PCBSD/FreeBSD team to give us great SO like these. Long Life to PCBSD And FreeBSD!

• September 24, 2013 at 5:39 am |