Apr

Submit Your Hardware Compatibility Information

The PC-BSD team will be launching a new webstore designed to take the hassle out of knowing which hardware works well with PC-BSD. A wiki page has been created where users can add the models of the motherboards, video cards, network cards, wifi cards, and laptops they have found to work great with PC-BSD. When adding to the wiki, only add hardware that you have verified works as-is with no problem.

To add to the hardware list, create a wiki account so that you can login and edit the page. Since this list will get rather large, please add your entry alphabetically.

Written by dru. Posted in hardware

• April 12, 2013 at 7:01 am |

Cool. :)

• yurkis
    April 12, 2013 at 9:12 am |

Please add section for unsupported hardware (HW which are not working)

• thomas
    April 13, 2013 at 10:43 am |

unsupported hardware section would, indeed, be beneficial. Hardware could be listed there and, eventually, triumphantly moved to the supported page.

I’ve been wanting to try PSBSD for years, but have yet to be lucky enough to buy a compatible laptop.

• lrcaballero
    April 18, 2013 at 1:24 pm |

@Thomas

I listed my laptop in the FreeBSD Compatibility List website and in matters of Days my Laptop was successfully added to the data-base, meaning that is now capable of running FreeBSD | PC-BSD, you should try it:

Cheers & Enjoy!

• vt
    April 23, 2013 at 12:21 pm |

Would like to add my Thinkpad X201, but since the last system update speaker sound doesn’t work anymore (jack works) and I’m lost with snd_hda…
    Is there a log showing what was changed with that particular update?

• Quack
    May 4, 2013 at 7:45 pm |

Hi I have very little experience with any OS other than windows but its been frustrating me more with each new release and now I bought a newer PC with drivers written ONLY for the incredibly lame win7, I was wondering if anyone knows of an existing app that would convert drivers made for an OS to function with a different OS and if it doenst exist yet why istn someone getting their lazy butt in gear as this is the one thing that would save a lot of ppl a lot of headache lol. The ONLY reason I have used windows xp and win 7 on my last 2 PCs is limited choice in drivers, if not for that I would have never used either of those garbage versions of windows.

• Soul_Est
    May 8, 2013 at 7:04 am |

Unfortunately Quack, the reason nobody has written such an application to do what you described is because in order to convert the drivers, one would need to the source code to them. Converting a binary driver is pretty much impossible at this point in time. What is why you keep seeing many users and developers (including myself) asking for open source driver for the hardware we love and use everyday.

• George
    May 21, 2013 at 9:57 am |

I think this info is usefull:
    System with Abit AT8 mobo; Athlon dual core 4400+ processor; 200GB Sata drive; DVD r/w; ATI Radeon 1950GT video.
    This is an absolute NOGO for PC-bsd; installation runs well, but after restart the system locks up and is asking for SETUP, but no reaction at all. Get the code 75, what means that no drive is detected. I tried all sort of restart etc. but every time the system holds after start. The only way is disconnect the drive and start from a floppy disk; after installing another drive with XP the same problem. I think the BIOS is corrupted by PC-BSD.

• George
      May 22, 2013 at 4:32 am |

Solution: Bios was OK; the HD was the problem.
      Started the computer without the disk; then started installation with XP and reconnected the HD.
      XP was able to override the PC-BSD installation and clear the disk.
      This system doesn’t like PC-BSD.
      This info for what its worth.

• May 23, 2013 at 8:17 am |

Thanks a lot for this troubleshooting info George. :)

• June 6, 2014 at 3:43 am |

I have a laptop having 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard disk and dual core processor.