Jul

PC-BSD Now Uses a CDN

Kris has announced that the PC-BSD project has moved over to a CDN (content delivery network) service for its network backbone. The CDN will replace the existing system of mirrors the project used for many years. It also means that users will no longer have to pick a mirror close to their geographical location in order to get decent download speeds when downloading PC-BSD, updates, and software. It will also prevent failed updates because the selected mirror is out of date or offline.

Once your system is configured to use the CDN, the CDN will transparently provide the fastest possible download. How to configure the system depends upon whether you are running 9.1-RELEASE or a rolling release:

For 9.1-RELEASE Users:

To make the switch, use Update Manager to install and apply the CDN patch. Alternately, TrueOS users can run the command pc-updatemanager check. The update will automatically configure the system to use the new CDN.

For Rolling Release Users:

Due to some recent breakage in PKGNG, run pkg upgrade twice from the command line. The first run will upgrade you to pkg-1.1.3_1 or later. The second run will upgrade the system packages to the latest set which has
CDN support.

If you run into any problems, let us know. We would particularly like feedback on speeds and availability so we can let our CDN provider know.

A big thanks to Allan Jude from ScaleEngine for configuring and hosting the CDN.

Written by dru. Posted in new features, Uncategorized

• July 5, 2013 at 3:51 pm |

More and more great improvements, Thanks a lot everyone. :)

• Ken
    July 6, 2013 at 2:25 am |

If I want to reinstall my PCBSD system this weekend, where do I download it from ?

I note that none of the mirrors are lit tonight.

Also, does the current, 9.1 “System Installation” download files include the new settings to take care of the new Mirror & Rolling Release arrangements, etc ?

Thanks
    Ken

• July 6, 2013 at 11:19 am |

I’m not sure, but should have an answer by Monday.

• Art
    July 6, 2013 at 11:06 am |

This sounds exciting. I am trying to install PC-BSD for the first time, and I had some trouble figuring out where to do the first time download. I eventually got BitTorrent to work for me — although it took about 5 minutes for the Torrent to start doing anything.

Anyways, might be a good idea to update the download page since the mirrors and FTP sites don’t appear to work.

Thanks,
    ~art

• July 6, 2013 at 11:19 am |

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve sent a note to the webmaster.

• ArchBSD
    July 6, 2013 at 1:53 pm |

Thanks a lot PCBSD team and Allan. This is awesome news. I’m following Allan’s weekly Techsnap. Fantastic show and PCBSD’s a fantastic OS.

• July 6, 2013 at 5:29 pm |

So how is one supposed to get an ISO or IMG file now? The Download page still links to mirrors (which have all had the 9.1 files removed)

• July 6, 2013 at 6:46 pm |

Thanks for the heads up. This should be fixed now.

• John
    July 7, 2013 at 5:03 pm |

I upgraded successfully but then changed from release to rolling release and I get the below error when I do the pkg upgrade. I tried the 64 bit version and noticed that after the upgrade to CDN that it had a lot of updates to the system as well like KDE 4.10. When I did this on the 32 bit system no other updates were available.

Updating repository catalogue
    pkg: http://​getmirror​.pcbsd​.org/​p​a​c​k​a​g​e​s​/​9​.​1​-​R​E​L​E​A​S​E​/​i​386​/​r​e​p​o​.​txz: Not Found

• July 8, 2013 at 10:18 am |

Do you still get this error or has this been resolved?

• John
        July 8, 2013 at 3:55 pm |

I did not try today but was getting that error. I had to install Ubuntu to get access to Citrix so reloaded the PC. I could not connect to work using PCBSD and was on call so I loaded what I knew would work. I won’t be on call for some time so will just test out PCBSD again.

• John
        July 10, 2013 at 12:56 pm |

I see the PCBSD Status Update that says that it will only be 64 bit version coming up with 9.2 and also the rolling realease coming soon so won’t worry about it. I just was testing it since I could not get citrix working on the 64 bit version but have time now to play around and see if I can fix this issue.

• Ken
    July 8, 2013 at 12:18 am |

Dru

Thanks for lighting up the Download server so we can access 9.1, again.

The download size was 3,762,934 Bytes — not the 3.4 GB as advertised. What’s the MD-5 for this latest DVD Image file, for AMD-64 ?

My previous ? above about content still stands — once I know that the prior Mirror issues are fixed (and the CDN switches are added) in this download, then I will install it immediately — — -

Regards
    Ken

• July 8, 2013 at 6:54 am |

It is just a rounded size on the download page. The md5sum is “d48c1493726b7f36b5ac0635d9b6e838”, the same as on the download page.

Also, once you install, it will have an available update for the new CDN locations, you’ll just need to fetch that.

• Ken
        July 9, 2013 at 8:09 pm |

Hi Kris / Dru

Yes — that works now — I reinstalled. CDN downloads Apps through App-Cafe F-A-S-T !

This has vanquished the months of PC-BSD Mirror issues that we recently endured.

Bug-wise, I notice that it gets stuck in an Endless upgrade loop on the 5th upgrade item after a fresh 9.1 Release Install. This upgrade is called “Security Upgrade”. After about the tenth loop I guessed that this wasn’t natural — - -

I then tried to convert to the “Rolling Release” variation by editing the “sysupdate.conf” file.

As happened back in February, this introduces as many issues as it solves. On this occasion, it stalled at “update Mirrors” because, of course, they are not used anymore. So it goes into a Stalled state at that point and the conversion to “Rolling Release” does not occur.

Hope this info assists !

Thanks
        Ken

• Brice
    July 9, 2013 at 1:04 am |

The last rolling release is no longer available on the FTP server. Was it moved to this CDN ? What’s the new download link ?

Thanks.

• […] PC-BSD Now Uses a CDN […]

• Paul
    July 12, 2013 at 6:12 am |

Where can I download PC-BSD from? I tried the website and various searching but the Download page is blank in the middle and offers no download links. I tried the ftp and some mirrors but can only find a few 64 bit isos, where are the 32 bit ones?

• July 14, 2013 at 2:55 pm |

t,ve been tryin to upgrade my pc-bsd-9.1 from kde-4.10.1 to 4.10.3 but every time i try there,s allways this error that tells me that the dependency of my packages is not supported how can this be i just downloaded this and now i can upgrade,PLEASE HELP(EDDIE FROM PUERTO RICO).

• July 16, 2013 at 5:30 am |

Please paste the exact error you get and the command you used which generates the error.

• July 14, 2013 at 2:58 pm |

my system id 64 bit rolling relesase

• Allen
    July 20, 2013 at 5:17 pm |

Does this mean we may see a net install version of the iso at some point?

• July 28, 2013 at 6:58 am |

We probably won’t have time to get it into 9.2 due to FreeBSD’s tight release schedule. It is on the roadmap for 10.

• July 21, 2013 at 2:19 am |

[…] PC-BSD Now Uses a CDN […]

• July 22, 2013 at 7:10 pm |

After reading a lot, i went for a clean install of 9.1-RELEASE [0702] and the installation was sweet ! the only oversight i did was to uncheck the install of grub [i was already using easyBCD booting into win7, Arch, prev 9.1 install]

Apart from the intel video driver issue every thing went on smoothly [with vesa]; then did some search on wiki and the forums, finally set things right. i followed this procedure => http://​forums​.pcbsd​.org/​s​h​o​w​t​h​r​e​a​d​.​p​h​p​?​p​=​107542​#​p​o​s​t​107542

Now the CDN …
    i didnt notice if CDN patch was pre-configured or it took it in the update / upgrade routine.. but i did notice a drastic change in speed. Now thats Awesome ! Kudos to the PC-BSD team… [ever since i first tasted the 9.0 flavour and progressively upgrading, this OS keeps me inviting back to it and set it as my default choice!
    Just for knowledge… is the 0702 RELEASE link preconfigured with CDN or does it use it during the update/upgrade process ?
    Best regards,
    R V C

• Zac
    July 24, 2013 at 7:27 pm |

Is there a link to the new CDN, so that I can use the CDN with FreeBSD?

• Craig
    July 24, 2013 at 8:39 pm |

Well done.

The new CDN is at least as fast as my old local mirror.

• […] PC-BSD now uses a Content Delivery Network (CDN) (PC-BSD Blog) […]

• tj
    October 13, 2013 at 5:45 pm |

PCBSD 9.1 is well done,

but it seems the new CDN services doesn’t use the clothes MIRO.
    Based in the US, PCBSD 9.0 suggested always a mirror in Australia. In 9.0 I changed it to a mirror in the US in everything was ok.
    Since 9.1 and the CDN, every monthly packages update needs 56 hours (like at the 9.0 time if I forgot to change the mirror to an US server used the mirror in Australia.)
    Finally, 9.2 isn’t download able et all (not from your Webpage nor as package) It brakes up after 3 to 4 hours running downloading.

• tj
    October 14, 2013 at 2:52 pm |

Actually, I found the direct link to the PCBSD server iso​.cdn​.pcbsd​.org/ Now the download needed only 28 min (Great Performance).