Jul

Rolling-Release and 9.2-BETA1 Released

Kris has announced the availability of the next rolling release and the first beta for the upcoming PC-BSD 9.2:

The PC-BSD team is pleased to announce that new images for PC-BSD 9.1-RELEASE (Isotope Infusion) and PC-BSD 9-STABLE (Based upon FreeBSD 9.2-BETA1) are now available! These releases are among the first in our new “Rolling-Release” model, and will allow you to easily keep your system updated with bi-monthly package set updates along side your regular PBI updates. In addition the images now include support for creating and booting from ZFS boot-environments. Due to the nature of implementing ZFS boot-environments, users on previous installs of 9.1-RELEASE will need to perform a re-installation in order to take advantage of these ZFS features. With the upcoming release of 9.2, currently in BETA, existing users may opt to wait for its release in order to migrate to the newer version. Many additional new features are also listed in the notes below.

DVD and USB images are now available for download.

Highlights for 9.1-RELEASE:

* FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE

* Bootable ZFS Boot Environments
– Using GRUB2, any new ZFS boot-environments created via the “beadm” command will be added to the boot-loader and available at boot-time

* PNGNG support
– In addition to PBIs and the AppCafe, system admins and power users will now have access to a full PKGNG repository with frequent updates

* Switched over to CDN for downloads
– No more having to hunt for a closest mirror, downloads will automatically pull from our CDN service hosted by ScaleEngine

* New version of AppCafe
– New streamlining and PBI management functionality

* GitHub Migration
– All PC-BSD / TrueOS sources are now available via GitHub (https://​github​.com/​p​c​bsd and https://​github​.com/​t​r​u​eos)

* Warden Updates
– Support for setting various jail options via the GUI
– Option to create jail “templates” based upon different versions of FreeBSD
– Support for VIMAGE jails
– Jails without any IPV4 or IPV6 address assigned

* Graphical PKGNG manager
– GUI supports basic or advanced mode, which allows full package management / upgrades

* Home directory encryption
– PEFS based encryption, allows users to encrypt their home-directory contents with their login password, which is only unencrypted while logged in

* Boot times improved substantially

Highlights for 9-STABLE:

* FreeBSD/TrueOS 9-STABLE (Running 9.2-BETA1)

* Binary “freebsd-update” server implemented for –STABLE, allowing monthly updates to a newer –STABLE release without re-compiling

* All the features listed for 9.1-RELEASE above also apply to 9-STABLE

Get Involved:

Want to help out the PC-BSD project? Found a bug you need to report? You can do so by joining us on our Forums! PC-BSD welcomes new contributors, testers, or simply feedback on how a particular piece of hardware works with BSD.

Written by dru. Posted in Uncategorized

• Pannucchi
    July 27, 2013 at 6:54 am |

Why is there no possibility to encrypt the full harddrive via the graphical installer?

• July 29, 2013 at 7:08 am |

The GELI encryption for hard-disks has been super-ceeded by PEFS encryption for your home-directories. You can also use it to encrypt other dirs of your choosing, just take a look at the “pefs” manpage.

This is because several crypto guys have told us that full-disk encryption isn’t the safest way to go, since many of the operating system files and data have known sizes / checksums, which can make it easier to crack your crypto. Since your home-directory is going to be pretty unique, it reduces the risk of that happening.

• lmf
        August 2, 2013 at 11:36 am |

Can you please explain more?

GELI by default uses 128-bit AES. AES isn’t vulnerable to known plaintext attack. (Even a purely theoretical result suggesting it were would be enormous.)

Or is there an issue in the GELI implementation?

• August 5, 2013 at 8:39 am |

The issue is that the more known data there is, the easier it is to crack. Outside of /usr/home, the rest of the contents of /usr are known entities.

• Julian
      August 24, 2013 at 8:05 pm |

I would prefer to have whole disk encryption. I have an extremely strong password. If someone with the knowledge and horse power to crack GELI wants to try, there is little I can do to stop them. Whole disk encryption also keeps my binary files safe as well. I’m looking to keep my data from the guy that crashes through my window to steal my computer.

–JJ

• July 27, 2013 at 7:03 am |

https://​github​.org/​p​c​bsd and https://​github​.org/​t​r​u​eos
    ^^^This links are wrong they point to nowhere. The top-level domain of GitHub is “.com”.

The correct links are:
    https://​github​.com/​p​c​bsd and https://​github​.com/​t​r​u​eos

• July 27, 2013 at 11:47 am |

Thanks, Jorge. I’ll get those fixed inline.

• Fred Jackson
      July 31, 2013 at 3:07 am |

Mind if I ask why those two github​.com URLs appear to be attacks of some sort? Guys, copy them and look in klipper or glipper — or go ahead and click them if you dare. You will end up at an odd place.

Even the URL shown in the status line has been successfully spoofed.

• July 31, 2013 at 4:29 am |

Not sure. Might be something the comments system does to obfuscate them?

• Priyadarshan
    July 27, 2013 at 7:20 am |

I have 9-STABLE up and running. Simply smashing!

Thank you Chris, Dru, and all the team, for the best OS out there. Such a superb work.

• July 27, 2013 at 11:49 am |

Thank you!

• Pepe
    July 28, 2013 at 11:58 am |

So, if I download and install PCBSD 9.1-RELEASE, I don’t have to follow this guide (http://​wiki​.pcbsd​.org/​i​n​d​e​x​.​p​h​p​/​U​s​i​n​g​_​a​_​R​o​l​l​i​n​g​_​R​e​l​e​ase) to get a rolling release system. Am I right?

• July 28, 2013 at 12:14 pm |

I’ll update that wiki page to clarify this next week.

If you download the latest RELEASE from the website, you won’t be on rolling release, but you will have the latest RELEASE (e.g. drivers and software) as of July 19. The next RELEASE will be 9.2 which is expected on or just past August 31.

If you instead install STABLE, you will have rolling release.

• Ken
    July 28, 2013 at 9:46 pm |

Hi Dru & Kris

I downloaded 9.1-Release and re-installed the system.

It looked great but it did not allow App downloads using AppCafe, only because the AppCafe menu-system does not look complete in this version. So it’s unusable — - -

I notice that under the Download button on the Homepage this is the only Version of PCBSD available and so I would recommend reviewing this situation quickly, so that newcomers aren’t downloading an incomplete/unusable system — - -

Then I downloaded the Stable release which is working (and has a complete AppCafe system).

Looks great so far — thanks for working out all the kinks and in getting the improvements implemented — - -

Look forward to more upgrades and versions !

* *

• July 29, 2013 at 5:06 am |

Can you give more details on how it was “incomplete”. We’re not seeing anything glitchy on our test systems and are trying to recreate.

• Ken
        August 4, 2013 at 10:02 pm |

Dru

From memory, the menu box for AppCafe was not filled out at that time, so it couldn’t be used. It works great in 9.2-Beta !

I hope my system is not the one that’s glitchy — - -

K.

• ken
    July 28, 2013 at 10:20 pm |

TEAM

The few bugs I have noticed in Stable 9.2, so far, are as follows ;

(It is possible that these are normal for a Beta version).

1) Root Access ; I can get into “su root” in a terminal, using my root password. But in the PC-BSD Control Panel, where teh little yellow shield is displayed, this same password is not recognized (& now there is the “3-times incorrect password attempts limit” ! ).

2) Sound won’t establish itself, and I have tried all the usual tricks including installing Au-Mix.

3) Because of item #1, I cannot alter things like screen resolution — I guess that’s planned for a Beta version ?

That’s all so far !

Thanks
    Ken

* * *

• July 29, 2013 at 4:51 am |

One of the changes is that users now use their own password when su is needed. This means that you no longer have to give out the root password on multi-user systems. However, the user needs to be in the wheel group–by default only the user created during installation is in wheel.

• Ken
        August 4, 2013 at 6:46 pm |

Thanks Dru — that password item is working now.

Another item that I cannot get to work is the Sound Output, when it was working previously on 9.1 — - -

Any suggestions about this ?

It could be in the Firefox Flash player or something in the system not connecting through — - — ? ?

Thanks
        Ken

• August 5, 2013 at 7:47 am |

If you type “mixer” are any of the settings set to 0?

• Ken
            August 5, 2013 at 6:36 pm |

Dru — I guess you mean to type in a Terminal,as Root ?

Problem is that now I crashed the system and have to reinstall it.

Here’s the Bug that caused this ;

1) Because of no sound, I looked into N-Vidia settings, among other things. It said to run a config. file, which I did (and this worked well previously).

So nothing happened and I restarted the PC. Now it won’t get past the “BSDfuse” Boot Checkpoint (after Video related error messages), which scrolls past during the Boot process and just hangs. So I have to reinstall the OP Sys !

This may have been caused by the 90 upgrades that came down but I don’t think so — it ran smoother after they arrived and I believe it restarted fine after the upgrades — until I tried to configure N-Vidia — - -

Regards
            Ken

* *

• Ken
              August 10, 2013 at 1:27 pm |

Dru

Mixer settings in Terminal command line are all 100:100.

- Still no sound in Beta-2.

- Using Firefox 22.0

- Playing a “Test Sound” works, so hardware is in place.

???

Regards
              Ken

* *

• Ken
                August 10, 2013 at 11:06 pm |

Dru — Cancel that — I got Sound working now.

So 9.2-Beta-2 is better than previous, in this regard.

To get it to work with this latest image, I have to go into “Sound Configuration” and select the right Device ! (This didn’t work in 9.2-B-1).

Observations, once the Sound System works ;

- I use Au-Mix to alter the volume, instead.

- Au-Mix bypasses the Volume Bar at the Top Right of the Screen.

Au-Mix and the Volume bar should interrelate somehow ? This could be the next step — get all the controls to synchronize (come from the same source).

Other items :

1) Still cannot get Video res other than 1024x768. The adjustment screen won’t work during the Boot-Up process.

I.e., no other settings than 1024x768 are accepted. (Vid system is N-Vidia).

2) The App “ATAIDLE” (for “disk-saving”) does not become a DeskTop selectable item when downloaded, so it cannot be initiated from the DeskTop.

I have been trying to get this to work for some time.

The system really needs this as the Disk spins all the time, even when “Spin Down whenever possible” in the “Power Management” menu is selected.

* *

Regards
                Ken

* * *

• July 29, 2013 at 10:35 pm |

[…] Rolling-Release and 9.2-BETA1 Released  […]

• user78405
    July 29, 2013 at 10:42 pm |

it does makes a big difference of having the people from Ex employees from apple to help this company to grow more..i am amaze how far this OS mature than any Linux distros couldn’t make a decent desktop os without having going through downloading new programs that might break my other dependency versions used by other older programs. if any possible when USB 3 is going be implemented in the kernel tree that will help people with USB 3 problems since i have entron chipset since AMD is not doing the best of improvenments on drivers than NVIDIA doing superb driver implementation. VERY STRANGE FOR AMD

• July 30, 2013 at 11:41 am |

USB3 has been supported for awhile (FreeBSD had one of the first USB3 implementations). What problems are you seeing with USB3?

• user78405
    July 30, 2013 at 3:07 pm |

i tried to mount WD USB3 external 500 GB HD but still no success but on Toshiba it work on one USB3 port very well..since my usb3 ports didn’t work with PCBSD 9.1 and 9.1-Release in April
    Now lately in July releases it starting to work on my entron chipset but some reasons on KDE desktop it gets glitches from mounting these drives..I have to click on mounttray to make the other one to mount and i did the same for WD but still not mounted it keep saying i am not perminted on the mounttray icon and i did that with dolphin but it keep saying An error occurred while accessing org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure: mount_msdosfs: /dev/iso9660/netbook-ia32-x86_64-20110518144s1: No such file or directory

• user78405
    July 30, 2013 at 3:21 pm |

never mind..now it works but only with mount tray icon somehow i must reconnect the drive after when it finish the boot process and login.
    but strangely still does not want me to mount on dolphin left plane links with errors…and i am using PCBSD 9-STABLE P2

• Yerlan
    August 2, 2013 at 5:12 am |

I am confused. Which one has a newer base 9.1 or 9-STABLE? :)

• August 2, 2013 at 5:15 am |

STABLE has the newest base.

RELEASE is based on 9.1-RELEASE (from Dec. of last year) plus latest version of apps.

• August 3, 2013 at 9:53 am |

What a messy confusion!

RELEASE’ is ‘STABLE’ and ‘STABLE’ is ‘ROLLING RELEASE’.

AFAIK, in FreeBSD world a RELEASE is something that is maintained whereas STABLE is the FROZEN.

Or did I miss something?

PS: And why do you need two of “Notify me of follow-up comments by email.” option below the comments box, one ending with a fullstop (.) and the other without?! Another confusion!?

• DL
    August 6, 2013 at 1:11 pm |

Just tried booting today. Hangs on X starting up. System has a Intel I-5 proc, HD3000 graphics. If I boot into VESA mode, then I can see.

This all worked with 9.1, so I don’t know whats changed.

• August 6, 2013 at 1:24 pm |

Yup, this was a new bug introduced in FreeBSD in the Intel kernel module. It was fixed today and new images are being uploaded. The new images should be available tomorrow and I suspect Kris will make the official announcement once they’re up.

• Nick
        August 21, 2013 at 8:18 am |

This is still broken on the RC1 images released yesterday. Dell E6320, i5, HD3000.

• August 21, 2013 at 3:16 pm |

Thanks for the heads up. What does the Hardware Compatibility icon (first icon on the bottom left in the installer) say about the Video driver?

• August 7, 2013 at 4:37 am |

After upgrade with pc-updatemanager i cannot login on gdm greeter

I get the greeter i see my login name but when i click on the login name (or hit enter) i don’t get the password prompt.

Every time i click on my login name on the greeter in my messages i have this two lines:

Aug 7 13:36:17 mrburns gdm-session-worker[1885]: in openpam_load_module(): no pam_pefs.so found
    Aug 7 13:36:17 mrburns gdm-session-worker[2320]: CRITICAL: gdm_session_settings_set_layout_name: assertion ‘GDM_IS_SESSION_SETTINGS (settings)’ failed

Please help me because i cannot login

Thanx
    Roberto

• August 7, 2013 at 6:14 am |

Have you changed anything in the world environment? Send me the output of these commands:

ls –al /usr/lib/pam_pefs.so*
      cat /usr/local/etc/pam.d/gdm

If you did the package updates manually from the CLI, you may need to run “pc-extractoverlay desktop && pc-extractoverlay ports” as root.

• August 7, 2013 at 7:17 am |

Hi Kris,

i don’t think i changed something in the world env. but i can’t guarantee.

the first command has an empty return (no such file or dir)

the second one here:

#
        # $FreeBSD: ports/x11/gdm/files/gdm.pam.in,v 1.7 2010/07/25 19:35:05 kwm Exp $
        # $MCom: ports-stable/x11/gdm/files/gdm.pam.in,v 1.3 2010/07/21 13:50:46 kwm Exp $
        #
        # PAM configuration for the “gdm” service
        #

# auth
        #auth sufficient pam_krb5.so no_warn try_first_pass
        #auth sufficient pam_ssh.so no_warn try_first_pass
        auth sufficient pam_pefs.so try_first_pass delkeys
        auth required pam_unix.so no_warn try_first_pass
        auth optional /usr/local/lib/pam_gnome_keyring.so

# account
        account required pam_nologin.so
        #account required pam_krb5.so
        account required pam_unix.so

# session
        #session optional pam_ssh.so
        session optional pam_pefs.so delkeys
        session required pam_permit.so
        session optional /usr/local/lib/pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start

Yes i updated on cli and now i tried the mentioned commands but the problem persists

• August 7, 2013 at 7:26 am |

Hi Kris

i commented out the lines mentioning pam_pefs in /usr/local/etc/pam.d/gdm

restarted gdm and now it works fine

don’t know why those pam modules where added

do you think it safe to leave them commented out ?

thanx

• Novato.
    August 7, 2013 at 2:59 pm |

Buenas comunidad PC-BSD:

Se puede instalar este sistema en una PC Portátil ya sea de 32 bits o 64 bits, arquitectura basado en X86 de Intel, controladoras de almacenamiento Ultra ATA Intel® 82801FMB — 2653, controladora de video Familia de Intel, procesador: Intel®Pentium®, memoria 0.99GB.

• Novato.
    August 7, 2013 at 3:12 pm |

Good PC-BSD community:
    A question?.
    You can install this system on a PC Laptop either 32-bit or 64-bit, X86 architecture based on Intel Ultra ATA Storage Controller Intel® 82801FMB — 2653, Video Controller Family Intel processor: Intel® Pentium®, 0.99GB memory.

• August 12, 2013 at 6:31 am |

Not sure what your question is due to the language barrier. But if you are using a rolling release, you can only install on a 64-bit system.

• Eric S
    August 23, 2013 at 4:59 pm |

After running a pc-updatemanager changebranch to 9.2-Release (sorry, not the exact syntax since I can’t get into that system right now)

I rebooted as it instructed me after it ran, and it booted to a blank screen. I wasn’t watching the process…but that’s where it ended up. I waited for a minute or so but there was no disk activity do I did a hard reset.
    That time it gave me

mounting from zfs:tank/ROOT/default failed with error 22
    and gave me a mountroot prompt

I was starting with a recent 9.1-Release install.