New Images Available for Download

Kris has announced the availability of the latest PC-BSD images:

The latest PC-BSD 9.2-RELEASE images (based upon FreeBSD 9.2-RC1) are now available for download. Users who install this image will be able to online update to a FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE kernel/world when it is announced.

Changes since the last ISO:

Addition of the “lpreserver” CLI utility

• Allows you to schedule ZFS snapshot creation
  • Supports ZFS send/recv to replicate your entire system to a remote machine
  • Logging & E-mail Reporting of snapshot / replication status
  • Basic ZFS monitor will warn of zpool failures or low disk space
  • GUI utility will be included in the next ISOs

Desktops can now set / change the system hostname during the first boot wizard

Fixed an issue with Warden creating templates on non ‘/’ mounted zpools

Seperate SWAP partitions are now created along side a zpool

• When using raidz / mirroring, SWAP will be setup with ‘gmirror’ across all disks

The Warden GUI can now launch a graphical package manager for your jails under “Tools”

Fixed an issue with GRUB showing “no symbol table” errors at boot

Added a “pkg” wrapper to the CLI, which will do cleanup & conflict resolution during package operations

Get Involved:

Want to help out the PC-BSD project? Found a bug you need to report? You can do so by joining us on our Forums! PC-BSD welcomes new contributors, testers, or simply feedback on how a particular piece of hardware works with BSD.

Written by dru. Posted in 9.2

• August 20, 2013 at 5:25 pm |

Thanks a lot Kris, Dru, Ken and everyone else! :)

• August 21, 2013 at 6:26 am |

You’re welcome!

• vados
    August 20, 2013 at 7:14 pm |

thanks guys

• August 21, 2013 at 6:27 am |

You are welcome!

• ArchBSD
    August 20, 2013 at 7:25 pm |

Hi everybody. Thank you for the amazing job creating one of the best OSes out there. One quick question, if I’m running the previous image based on 9.2-beta2 can I upgrade once the stable/current images roll out, or do I have to do a fresh install? Thank you very much!

• Jonathan Noack
      August 26, 2013 at 7:51 am |

I’m also interested in upgrading from 9.2-beta2 to 9.2-release. Will that be possible?

PC-BSD just keeps getting better! Thanks for all you do… :)

• August 27, 2013 at 5:48 am |

Yes, an update will appear in Update Manager for all rolling release users (i.e. anybody who installed or upgraded to a version later than last December’s 9.1-RELEASE). For users who stayed on December’s 9.1-RELEASE (no rolling release), we will have instructions for updating to the new branch.

• Jonathan Noack
          August 27, 2013 at 12:29 pm |

Good deal. Thank you!

• gnfg
    August 21, 2013 at 6:39 am |

Where is this download server? Backside of a Moon? under 100kb/s with an 100Mbit connection and getting into server took half a minute:(

• gnfg
    August 21, 2013 at 6:48 am |

sorry, some FUBAR on this side..

Started downloading nicely, 3,7Mb/s

• August 21, 2013 at 9:13 am |

Installed pcbsd does not work on virtualbox because of usb initialization bug .

• August 21, 2013 at 1:17 pm |

Virtualbox is faulty, ICH9 emulation does not work.

When using PIIX3 everything works.

• August 21, 2013 at 1:25 pm |

Glad that one is sorted!

• August 21, 2013 at 1:20 pm |

Where is the german keyboard i expected to get when installing?
    Will this be possible in a stable release?

• August 21, 2013 at 1:27 pm |

It should be the fourth icon from the left on the bottom of Figure 3.2a:

• August 21, 2013 at 1:32 pm |

Does this mean i have to reinstall the whole thing?

Please no.

• August 21, 2013 at 1:37 pm |

Did you go through the post-installation configuration screens yet?

• August 21, 2013 at 1:43 pm |

Yes I did.

If there is no other way to do it i will reinstall.

• August 21, 2013 at 1:46 pm |

Checking to see if there is an easy way to do this post-install.

• August 21, 2013 at 3:51 pm |

I did a clean install and chose a german keyboard on install and after firstboot.
                Both times 104-key german nodeadkeys.
                It did not work, it is seriously broken.

• August 21, 2013 at 4:04 pm |

Which layout did you select? Can you give an example of what is not working? If it is easier, paste the URL to a screenshot.

• August 21, 2013 at 4:21 pm |

Like I wrote “pc 104-key deutsch (german) nodeadkeys”.

keyboard stays at US american layout.

Methinks i can trust my eyes although i wear glasses.

• August 23, 2013 at 1:13 pm |

I have seen that one can choose country and keyboard layout in KDM.
                      Should do for now.

• August 23, 2013 at 1:30 pm |

Does the desired layout work there (i.e. just not work during install/post-install config)?

• August 23, 2013 at 3:02 pm |

When set in KDM it works within KDE and Fluxbox also.

The strange thing with the installer is I can choose values alright but they are not saved to what is installed on disk.

Some kind of misbehaviour of the installer or the routines that should save values to disk.

• Toby
                      August 23, 2013 at 9:48 pm |

I have also noticed this behavior in the installer. I always try and change it to a gb keyboard, both before and after the install. However it never has any effect, I always end up having to set it at gdm, at which point, it persists and all is good, and thus I’ve never mentioned it. However, it is kind of annoying.

• chris
                      August 24, 2013 at 12:50 pm |

before you try your german keyboard to type your IDs names and passwords, first do this:
                      toggle NumLk (Numpad lock on/off one-two times or use your FN key in case you have a laptop (had issues w/ my lenovo laptop keyboard – solved it this way!)
                      hope this will help ..

• August 26, 2013 at 6:36 am |

Thanks to everyone for the heads up. We’re looking into the fix for this.

• Toby
                      August 26, 2013 at 10:21 pm |

Thank you Dru, for your consistently helpful and friendly responses on all the blog posts. It’s exactly this kind of thing that is steadily making PC-BSD my favourite desktop OS. Very much appreciated :-)

• August 27, 2013 at 4:56 am |

• Tony Harris
    August 22, 2013 at 10:46 am |

Downloaded and burned PCBSD9.2-RELEASE-08-16-2013-x64-DVD.iso to DVD. When I booted up I got a kernel panic “Wild Pointer” then immediate request to reboot.

Trying burning again. Will let you know if successful.

• Tony Harris
    August 22, 2013 at 11:31 am |

Just burned the same ISO to another DVD. Same error.

The BTX bootloader comes up then says this:

BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.02
    Consoles: internal video/keyboard
    panic: zfree(0x10200,32):wild pointer
    –>Press a key on the console to reboot<–

I'm using a Gateway M-Series laptop. 64-bit CPU, 4GB RAM

• August 23, 2013 at 9:23 am |

Can you do a memory test on that system? Typically this error is associated with bad RAM.

• Tony Harris
        August 23, 2013 at 2:14 pm |

I can–I just downloaded Memtest86+. However I can boot Live Linux Distros (Puppy Linux, MacBuntu) just fine.

• TransformHumanity
    August 23, 2013 at 10:21 pm |

When I uncompress PCBSD9.2-x64-USB-live.img.bz2, I got a .img file of 5.3 GB. Is this right? The md5 sum verifies right.

Thanks and Regards

• Tony Harris
      August 25, 2013 at 3:58 pm |

Yes. That is what I got, too.

• August 26, 2013 at 6:05 am |

Thanks for the heads up!

• TransformHumanity
    August 23, 2013 at 10:23 pm |

It is actually …live-latest…

• Marcello
    August 26, 2013 at 2:10 pm |

After installing PCBSD 9.1 I join the fanclub. Are there events planned in central europe ? Thanks Kris and Dru

• August 27, 2013 at 5:37 am |

Kris will be at EuroBSDCon in Malta next month. We should have swag for KyivBSD in September and OpenFest (in Sofia) in November.

• daniel
    August 26, 2013 at 2:51 pm |

Hi, where is a 9.2-RELEASE .iso release for a i386? Above link is only for amd64 ( I mean sentence: “The latest PC-BSD 9.2-RELEASE images (…) are now available for download (…).”

• Gour
    August 31, 2013 at 8:34 am |

What is going on with RC3 images?

Any ETA?

• September 3, 2013 at 3:16 pm |

These are finally being uploaded now and should show up on the CDN late tonight or early tomorrow.

• August 31, 2013 at 12:31 pm |

I have been using FreeBSD for near 20 years, and just hours ago I installed PC-BSD on a spare SSD in my gaming system.

Amazing. Very good work guys.

You have brought FreeBSD to the common desktop.

Awesome work. It won’t replace my FreeBSD and X desktop, but it will replace my wife’s Win7 laptop.

Again, very nice work.

• September 3, 2013 at 3:06 pm |

• September 1, 2013 at 5:54 pm |

[…] Este artículo es una traducción del siguiente sitio: […]

• Ken
    September 3, 2013 at 10:48 am |

Hi Dru

I freshly installed the latest 9.2 release and it does run smooth & fast.

Bugs noticeable so far – and this could just be my mis-use of it – are that when I stream a Video from YouTune, it refuses with the error :

“No Adobe Flashplayer” installed.

But I do have Gnash loaded !! ?

Also it worked for a while then stopped again. So a Flash player had been linked to an incoming U-tube file, somehow, last week. Perhaps this linkage mechanism is broken again ?

Also, in previous PCBSD releases the Browsers failed high-load tests. This is where I have about a 60+ webpages open. This is a good test for all browsers in a system – and for the system itself.

Suggest making this a part of your System testing process. A fully maintained (expensive !) Win-7 machine does do OK under these loads – PCBSD should do better than a Win-7 machine to pass !

(The most I have see is about 220 webpages open and usable – this on a 6-processor Win-7 machine).

On PCBSD, I can gauge how good the setup is by how fast Firefox takes to open – this statistic is improving. Please also include this as a part of your testing process.

BTW, Updates wise, the latest Sec update this am fails to install due to an “unknown error”.

Other updates have been installing apparently successfully, since I reinstalled about 10 days ago.

Thanks to all !

• ken
      September 3, 2013 at 10:57 am |

Ignore the first item submitted just now – as per the manual I ran :

“flashpluginctl on”

and it runs again.

Will report if this gets knocked out again – – –

• Ken
        September 11, 2013 at 9:29 am |

flashpluginctl gets turned off by FireFox – but not by Opera.

It seems to happen when two youtube vids are opened at the same time – –

The simple answer would be to switch to Opera – but that’s unstable compared to FireFox – – –
        (Opera gets “sticky” (slow and unpredictable) far, far more quickly then Firefox does, at this time).

• ken
    September 3, 2013 at 2:39 pm |

Also, the latest 9.2 Release is not coming back from Sleep at all. It goes to Sleep but the Video never wakes up – – –

This did work on previous Releases.

Also, ATAIDLE (an App) will not run as it cannot be found on The DeskTop. Or. it won’t run once I find it in the filesystem and try to get it to Run.

This App reduces wear and tear on Disk Drive and so is useful – – –

* *

• September 3, 2013 at 5:32 pm |

Regarding sleep, it sounds like the acpi sysctl for that vendor is not loaded (see second paragraph of to get started). Regarding the ataidle, what error do you get if you start it from the command line?

• Ken
        September 4, 2013 at 12:32 pm |

ATAIDLE : Command not Found

System is runbning great now.

Its fast and able.

I will load test it in a few weeks – the upgrades coming down (and actually function) are all improving the system, noticeably.

Fabulous !

* *

• September 6, 2013 at 5:28 am |

This utility has been added to the base system and will be in 9.2.

• Kens
            September 6, 2013 at 11:13 am |

Hi Dru

Great news re ATAIDLE.

I load tested it last night as I was surfing e-Bay. It got to about 70 windows in Firefox then the slowdown syndrome occurred that I have previously observed with PCBSD. The PC I use for PCBSD is an AMD-64 Dual Core “5000+”. It has 6 Megs of memory = sufficient.

So there is some system malfunction that occurs at about the 70-window mark. Things I notice about this:

1) This bug makes the system “sticky” (slow and unpredictable).

2)Once this Bug turns on it can affect another browswer (eg Opera). It also seems to hang around through a reboot and it may take several reboots to get a fast Firefox again – bizarre – – –

So this Bug is contagious, via Disk Drive records.

3) GKrell tells me that only 3 of the 6 Meg of memory is in use – so its not a memory issue.

4) The Bug suddenly turns on – – –

Currently getting around to investigate the ACPI issue as discussed earlier, here. This PC is not a laptop so we can say that “Crashing while Asleep” possibly applies to any hardware – –

Also, a good chance that this is a PCBSD dependent Bug as this has not been a problem in PCBSD up until now (on the same PC hardware). It used to go in and out of sleep beautifully – – – (using past PCBSD releases).

* * *

• Ken
              September 6, 2013 at 11:58 am |

Re sysctl.conf. The one in this 9.2 release is dated 2003 – maybe that’s only the creation date ?

Can we get the 2012 version of this, that must have ran in last years releases ? Last year it went in and out of sleep very well – – –

Not sure if you have it and/or can publish it – – – ??

* *

• Alex Fliker
    September 4, 2013 at 12:38 pm |

The right way is writing on forums, but I don’t want to. So, last 3 days I tried out on 2 laptops (Asus K53SC and Sony Vaio VGN-FZ140E) 3 of your latest releases – 9.2, 9.1 and 9.0. In all 3 cases I wanted to get USB Live working, but I couldn’t. Regarding 9.1 and 9.2 – they hang when they reach X server loading. Pressing Caps Lock key do nothing, so that does mean frozen laptops. SafeMode/NoAcpi doesn’t help – kernel panics. I even tried to install on the flash drive (I burnt 9.2 DVD image). First problem – it took many hours to install. Second – after booting I get something like Fluxbox without possibility to call for any application, just a panel on the bottom with workspace switching and clock. No KDE, no E17. And yeah, a question – why on boot menu there is TrueOS and no VESA switch for X? In 9.0 it is written PC-BSD and where is a possibility to enable VESA (which ultimately was the only possibility to get X server loaded). The sad thing – even in 9.0 I got X server it proposed me to install the system without trying it in live mode. Huh? I tried to install it – couldn’t type from keyboard, even Caps Lock was reacting. USB keyboard didn’t help. Summarizing all the above – what happened to old good PC-BSD? When I last tried it as an system on HDD, that was 1.5 version, it was just absolutely awesome – auto-install of NVIDIA driver, Compiz from the box, good old KDE 3.5. It was awesome. Now I can’t even boot it normally on 6-year and 2-year old laptops. I am frustrated and disappointed…

• September 4, 2013 at 1:24 pm |

What are the models of video cards in these systems?

• September 4, 2013 at 4:24 pm |

I installed the latest image on a ThinkPad X230 but I only get a black screen after the very brief kernel loading messages. Selecting any of the other options in the grub menu also results in the same thing. Is PC-BSD compiled with the new Xorg drivers?

• September 5, 2013 at 8:39 am |

The latest image is running Xorg 1.12.4.

Was the black screen pre- or post-install? What is the type of video and is it an Optimus?

• September 5, 2013 at 8:45 am |

The black screen was post install. Installation proceeded just fine. The X230 only has Intel HD 4000 Graphics. It has no NVIDIA hardware.

• Olufisayo
    September 6, 2013 at 3:36 pm |

It would really be great if you guys make torrents available considering that not everyone has access to internet all the time especially those of us in Africa. Downloading with a download manager isn’t worth the effort as internet connections breaks often and that means one has to start the download over again.

• September 7, 2013 at 6:02 am |

Now that we have a CDN, it is easier to get the fastest location without worrying about mirrors. We also recommend using a download utility that supports automatic resume and parallel downloads. PC-BSD has aria2 built-in, and it is available for free download for Windows and Linux as well from