Aug

New Images Available for Download

Kris has announced the availability of the latest PC-BSD images:

The latest PC-BSD 9.2-RELEASE images (based upon FreeBSD 9.2-RC1) are now available for download. Users who install this image will be able to online update to a FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE kernel/world when it is announced.

Changes since the last ISO:

Addition of the “lpreserver” CLI utility

• Allows you to schedule ZFS snapshot creation
  • Supports ZFS send/recv to replicate your entire system to a remote machine
  • Logging & E-mail Reporting of snapshot / replication status
  • Basic ZFS monitor will warn of zpool failures or low disk space
  • GUI utility will be included in the next ISOs

Desktops can now set / change the system hostname during the first boot wizard

Fixed an issue with Warden creating templates on non ‘/’ mounted zpools

Seperate SWAP partitions are now created along side a zpool

• When using raidz / mirroring, SWAP will be setup with ‘gmirror’ across all disks

The Warden GUI can now launch a graphical package manager for your jails under “Tools”

Fixed an issue with GRUB showing “no symbol table” errors at boot

Added a “pkg” wrapper to the CLI, which will do cleanup & conflict resolution during package operations

Get Involved:

Want to help out the PC-BSD project? Found a bug you need to report? You can do so by joining us on our Forums! PC-BSD welcomes new contributors, testers, or simply feedback on how a particular piece of hardware works with BSD.

Written by dru. Posted in 9.2

• August 20, 2013 at 5:25 pm |

Thanks a lot Kris, Dru, Ken and everyone else! :)

• August 21, 2013 at 6:26 am |

You’re welcome!

• vados
    August 20, 2013 at 7:14 pm |

thanks guys

• August 21, 2013 at 6:27 am |

You are welcome!

• ArchBSD
    August 20, 2013 at 7:25 pm |

Hi everybody. Thank you for the amazing job creating one of the best OSes out there. One quick question, if I’m running the previous image based on 9.2-beta2 can I upgrade once the stable/current images roll out, or do I have to do a fresh install? Thank you very much!

• Jonathan Noack
      August 26, 2013 at 7:51 am |

I’m also interested in upgrading from 9.2-beta2 to 9.2-release. Will that be possible?

PC-BSD just keeps getting better! Thanks for all you do… :)

• August 27, 2013 at 5:48 am |

Yes, an update will appear in Update Manager for all rolling release users (i.e. anybody who installed or upgraded to a version later than last December’s 9.1-RELEASE). For users who stayed on December’s 9.1-RELEASE (no rolling release), we will have instructions for updating to the new branch.

• Jonathan Noack
          August 27, 2013 at 12:29 pm |

Good deal. Thank you!

• gnfg
    August 21, 2013 at 6:39 am |

Where is this download server? Backside of a Moon? under 100kb/s with an 100Mbit connection and getting into server took half a minute:(

• gnfg
    August 21, 2013 at 6:48 am |

sorry, some FUBAR on this side..

Started downloading nicely, 3,7Mb/s

• August 21, 2013 at 9:13 am |

Again.

Installed pcbsd does not work on virtualbox because of usb initialization bug .

• August 21, 2013 at 1:17 pm |

Virtualbox is faulty, ICH9 emulation does not work.

When using PIIX3 everything works.

• August 21, 2013 at 1:25 pm |

Glad that one is sorted!

• August 21, 2013 at 1:20 pm |

So.
    Where is the german keyboard i expected to get when installing?
    Will this be possible in a stable release?

• Tony Harris
    August 22, 2013 at 10:46 am |

Downloaded and burned PCBSD9.2-RELEASE-0816-2013-x64-DVD.iso to DVD. When I booted up I got a kernel panic “Wild Pointer” then immediate request to reboot.

Trying burning again. Will let you know if successful.

Tony

• Tony Harris
    August 22, 2013 at 11:31 am |

Just burned the same ISO to another DVD. Same error.

The BTX bootloader comes up then says this:

BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.02
    Consoles: internal video/keyboard
    panic: zfree(0x10200,32):wild pointer
    –>Press a key on the console to reboot<–

I’m using a Gateway M-Series laptop. 64-bit CPU, 4GB RAM

• August 23, 2013 at 9:23 am |

Can you do a memory test on that system? Typically this error is associated with bad RAM.

• Tony Harris
        August 23, 2013 at 2:14 pm |

I can–I just downloaded Memtest86+. However I can boot Live Linux Distros (Puppy Linux, MacBuntu) just fine.

• TransformHumanity
    August 23, 2013 at 10:21 pm |

Hi,

When I uncompress PCBSD9.2-x64-USB-live.img.bz2, I got a .img file of 5.3 GB. Is this right? The md5 sum verifies right.

Thanks and Regards

• Tony Harris
      August 25, 2013 at 3:58 pm |

Yes. That is what I got, too.

• August 26, 2013 at 6:05 am |

Thanks for the heads up!

• TransformHumanity
    August 23, 2013 at 10:23 pm |

It is actually …live-latest…

• Marcello
    August 26, 2013 at 2:10 pm |

After installing PCBSD 9.1 I join the fanclub. Are there events planned in central europe ? Thanks Kris and Dru

• August 27, 2013 at 5:37 am |

Kris will be at EuroBSDCon in Malta next month. We should have swag for KyivBSD in September and OpenFest (in Sofia) in November.

• daniel
    August 26, 2013 at 2:51 pm |

Hi, where is a 9.2-RELEASE .iso release for a i386? Above link is only for amd64 (http://​iso​.cdn​.pcbsd​.org/​9​.​2​-​R​E​L​E​A​S​E​/​a​m​d​64/). I mean sentence: “The latest PC-BSD 9.2-RELEASE images (…) are now available for download (…).”

• Gour
    August 31, 2013 at 8:34 am |

What is going on with RC3 images?

Any ETA?

• September 3, 2013 at 3:16 pm |

These are finally being uploaded now and should show up on the CDN late tonight or early tomorrow.

• August 31, 2013 at 12:31 pm |

I have been using FreeBSD for near 20 years, and just hours ago I installed PC-BSD on a spare SSD in my gaming system.

Amazing. Very good work guys.

You have brought FreeBSD to the common desktop.

Awesome work. It won’t replace my FreeBSD and X desktop, but it will replace my wife’s Win7 laptop.

Again, very nice work.

• September 3, 2013 at 3:06 pm |

Thanks!

• Ken
    September 3, 2013 at 10:48 am |

Hi Dru

I freshly installed the latest 9.2 release and it does run smooth & fast.

Bugs noticeable so far — and this could just be my mis-use of it — are that when I stream a Video from YouTune, it refuses with the error :

No Adobe Flashplayer” installed.

But I do have Gnash loaded !! ?

Also it worked for a while then stopped again. So a Flash player had been linked to an incoming U-tube file, somehow, last week. Perhaps this linkage mechanism is broken again ?

Also, in previous PCBSD releases the Browsers failed high-load tests. This is where I have about a 60+ webpages open. This is a good test for all browsers in a system — and for the system itself.

Suggest making this a part of your System testing process. A fully maintained (expensive !) Win-7 machine does do OK under these loads — PCBSD should do better than a Win-7 machine to pass !

(The most I have see is about 220 webpages open and usable — this on a 6-processor Win-7 machine).

On PCBSD, I can gauge how good the setup is by how fast Firefox takes to open — this statistic is improving. Please also include this as a part of your testing process.

BTW, Updates wise, the latest Sec update this am fails to install due to an “unknown error”.

Other updates have been installing apparently successfully, since I reinstalled about 10 days ago.

Thanks to all !

and it runs again.

Will report if this gets knocked out again — - -

K.

• Ken
        September 11, 2013 at 9:29 am |

Dru

flashpluginctl gets turned off by FireFox — but not by Opera.

It seems to happen when two youtube vids are opened at the same time — -

The simple answer would be to switch to Opera — but that’s unstable compared to FireFox — - -
        (Opera gets “sticky” (slow and unpredictable) far, far more quickly then Firefox does, at this time).

Regards
        Ken

• ken
    September 3, 2013 at 2:39 pm |

Dru

Also, the latest 9.2 Release is not coming back from Sleep at all. It goes to Sleep but the Video never wakes up — - -

This did work on previous Releases.

Also, ATAIDLE (an App) will not run as it cannot be found on The DeskTop. Or. it won’t run once I find it in the filesystem and try to get it to Run.

This App reduces wear and tear on Disk Drive and so is useful — - -

Regards
    Ken

* *

• September 3, 2013 at 5:32 pm |

Regarding sleep, it sounds like the acpi sysctl for that vendor is not loaded (see second paragraph of http://​wiki​.pcbsd​.org/​i​n​d​e​x​.​p​h​p​/​L​a​p​t​ops to get started). Regarding the ataidle, what error do you get if you start it from the command line?

• Ken
        September 4, 2013 at 12:32 pm |

Dru

ATAIDLE : Command not Found

System is runbning great now.

Its fast and able.

I will load test it in a few weeks — the upgrades coming down (and actually function) are all improving the system, noticeably.

Fabulous !

Regards
        Ken

* *

• September 6, 2013 at 5:28 am |

This utility has been added to the base system and will be in 9.2.

• Kens
            September 6, 2013 at 11:13 am |

Hi Dru

Great news re ATAIDLE.

I load tested it last night as I was surfing e-Bay. It got to about 70 windows in Firefox then the slowdown syndrome occurred that I have previously observed with PCBSD. The PC I use for PCBSD is an AMD-64 Dual Core “5000+”. It has 6 Megs of memory = sufficient.

So there is some system malfunction that occurs at about the 70-window mark. Things I notice about this:

1) This bug makes the system “sticky” (slow and unpredictable).

2)Once this Bug turns on it can affect another browswer (eg Opera). It also seems to hang around through a reboot and it may take several reboots to get a fast Firefox again — bizarre — - -

So this Bug is contagious, via Disk Drive records.

3) GKrell tells me that only 3 of the 6 Meg of memory is in use — so its not a memory issue.

4) The Bug suddenly turns on — - -

Currently getting around to investigate the ACPI issue as discussed earlier, here. This PC is not a laptop so we can say that “Crashing while Asleep” possibly applies to any hardware — -

Also, a good chance that this is a PCBSD dependent Bug as this has not been a problem in PCBSD up until now (on the same PC hardware). It used to go in and out of sleep beautifully — - — (using past PCBSD releases).

Thanks
            Ken

* * *

• Ken
              September 6, 2013 at 11:58 am |

Dru

Re sysctl.conf. The one in this 9.2 release is dated 2003 — maybe that’s only the creation date ?

Can we get the 2012 version of this, that must have ran in last years releases ? Last year it went in and out of sleep very well — - -

Not sure if you have it and/or can publish it — - — ??

Thanks
              Ken

* *

• Alex Fliker
    September 4, 2013 at 12:38 pm |

The right way is writing on forums, but I don’t want to. So, last 3 days I tried out on 2 laptops (Asus K53SC and Sony Vaio VGN-FZ140E) 3 of your latest releases — 9.2, 9.1 and 9.0. In all 3 cases I wanted to get USB Live working, but I couldn’t. Regarding 9.1 and 9.2 — they hang when they reach X server loading. Pressing Caps Lock key do nothing, so that does mean frozen laptops. SafeMode/NoAcpi doesn’t help — kernel panics. I even tried to install on the flash drive (I burnt 9.2 DVD image). First problem — it took many hours to install. Second — after booting I get something like Fluxbox without possibility to call for any application, just a panel on the bottom with workspace switching and clock. No KDE, no E17. And yeah, a question — why on boot menu there is TrueOS and no VESA switch for X? In 9.0 it is written PC-BSD and where is a possibility to enable VESA (which ultimately was the only possibility to get X server loaded). The sad thing — even in 9.0 I got X server it proposed me to install the system without trying it in live mode. Huh? I tried to install it — couldn’t type from keyboard, even Caps Lock was reacting. USB keyboard didn’t help. Summarizing all the above — what happened to old good PC-BSD? When I last tried it as an system on HDD, that was 1.5 version, it was just absolutely awesome — auto-install of NVIDIA driver, Compiz from the box, good old KDE 3.5. It was awesome. Now I can’t even boot it normally on 6-year and 2-year old laptops. I am frustrated and disappointed…

• September 4, 2013 at 1:24 pm |

What are the models of video cards in these systems?

• September 4, 2013 at 4:24 pm |

I installed the latest image on a ThinkPad X230 but I only get a black screen after the very brief kernel loading messages. Selecting any of the other options in the grub menu also results in the same thing. Is PC-BSD compiled with the new Xorg drivers?

• September 5, 2013 at 8:39 am |

The latest image is running Xorg 1.12.4.

Was the black screen pre– or post-install? What is the type of video and is it an Optimus?

• September 5, 2013 at 8:45 am |

The black screen was post install. Installation proceeded just fine. The X230 only has Intel HD 4000 Graphics. It has no NVIDIA hardware.

• Olufisayo
    September 6, 2013 at 3:36 pm |

It would really be great if you guys make torrents available considering that not everyone has access to internet all the time especially those of us in Africa. Downloading with a download manager isn’t worth the effort as internet connections breaks often and that means one has to start the download over again.

• September 7, 2013 at 6:02 am |

Now that we have a CDN, it is easier to get the fastest location without worrying about mirrors. We also recommend using a download utility that supports automatic resume and parallel downloads. PC-BSD has aria2 built-in, and it is available for free download for Windows and Linux as well from http://​aria2​.sourceforge​.net/.