Sep

9.2-RC4 Images Now Available

The latest PC-BSD 9.2-RELEASE images (based upon FreeBSD 9.2-RC4) images are now online! Users who install this image will then be able to online update to a FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE kernel / world when it is announced. Users already running an earlier 9.2 image can now online update to the latest world / kernel / packages via the system updating mechanisms. This *should* be the last RC before 9.2-RELEASE is tagged, so if you find any issues please let us know right away.

Changes since the last ISO:

* Added patches for FreeBSD SA’s 13:1113

* Updated to FreeBSD 9.2-RC4 world/kerne

Get Involved

Want to help out the PC-BSD project? Found a bug you need to report? You can do so by joining us on our Forums! PC-BSD welcomes new contributors, testers, or simply feedback on how a particular piece of hardware works with BSD.

Written by dru. Posted in 9.2

• September 13, 2013 at 2:05 pm |

Cool, Thanks everyone! :)

• ShaunGeorge
    September 13, 2013 at 2:58 pm |

Big thanks everyone :-)

• September 14, 2013 at 8:20 am |

[…] Leer Mas […]

• anthony
    September 15, 2013 at 6:58 am |

What is the significance of the “p7” in the first bunch of download links?

• ken
    September 17, 2013 at 10:44 am |

Hi Dru

The latest upgrades are steadily improving system usage.

To evaluate how well PCBSD really runs, I downloaded Ubuntu Studio 13. That Op-Sys is slow compared to PCBSD, on the same machine. Although it does encrypt everything (= slow).

To find issues to Debug, do read through these Forum Threads over the last few months (which cover the user’s experiences for the various RC’s leading up to 9.2).

Outstanding, for me, are :

1) While the Media Scan system is greatly improved it retains a Directory Updating issue (The explorer won’t always be up-to-date, so the memory stick has to be removed and reinserted to get a true picture of whats stored on the stick, for example.)

2) The heady issue of getting Digital Cameras to work through the PCBSD Media Scanner didn’t work recently.
    Maybe that needs a special App ?

Today I downloaded the App “GT-Kam” and that said “No Camera Detected”.

The Manual didn’t really cover this area, either.

3) Firefox takes ages to load ?

4) Firefox turns off :

flashpluginctl”

when more than one youtube video is played.

Opera does not do this.

5) Opera gets “sticky” (slow and unusable) faster than Firefox does.

6) Firefox is unable to handle more than about 6070 URL’s being open, before getting “sticky” (slow & unusable).

This is apparently not a memory issue but could be that a byte overflows somewhere etc (the clue being that at about 64 windows open in Firefox, this effect suddenly happens. 64 = (256/4) ).

7) Getting the App “ATAIDLE” to work will be great– as discussed recently.

8) Syscntl.conf seems to be different than in previous years. And it has the issue I describe below because its very old (2003) — - -

On my machine the issue is that it won’t come out of sleep, video-wise. This did not happen in previous releases. (What’s more, my PC is a basic HP Desktop machine = AMD-64-X2. Not a Laptop).

Please consider possibly providing a choice of typical, working syscntl.conf’s for us to choose from.

All for now — - —

Regards
    Ken

* *

• Ken
      September 17, 2013 at 6:06 pm |

Dru

I just had 77 Firefox URL’s open and it ran fine — maybe the Firefox “crashing above 64 URL’s” bug has been addressed recently ?

Either that — or the window counter is faulty.

I will do more exact tests — - -

2) I found a halting video error arising at screensaving time. The screen goes black and it prints out yellow-text error strings, as follows :

i) This error string is repeated 16 times :

XLIB : extension “GLX” missing on display “:0.0″.

ii) then :

mirrorblob : root windows visual 0x41 does not support the GLX extension.

iii) then :

Xscreensaver : “time stamp” : 0 : child pid 68209 (mirrorblob) exited abnormally (code 1)

Once this crash occurs I have to reboot the machine, to continue.

This crash around screensaver time could ALSO be messing up the ability of PCBSD to return from sleep, later on — - -

(A “masked” Bug).

3) Sometimes the Media Widget is not loaded, upon boot. Also I have seen it where the Ethernet widget is not loaded, alternatively.

4) Setup Disconnects : There are still various disconnects between various parts of PCBSD setups, for example, the Ethernet setup is represented in several places and these settings don’t necessarily match.

Viz, The Ethernet widget and the Network manager in the Control Panel.

This is getting better, however !!

For example, I can get the Ethernet widget to say “Offline” when it is online and vice versa, by changing the setting in a different place — - -

5) Doing a system wide “plausibility check” would be a good idea at this stage.

Perhaps that’s already in progress !

All for now — - -

Regards
      Ken

* *

• September 19, 2013 at 7:49 am |

Thanks for the feedback! We’re looking into #1. #7 should already have ataidle in the base.

wrt #2, have you tried the digikam PBI? I always have had the best luck with that one, though it has been a while since I used a camera.

#8, the date in the header refers to the format, not the contents. It is quite possible that either ACPI or the video driver changed since the last release. What is the video driver?

• Dru
        September 23, 2013 at 9:43 pm |

Dru

The Video hardware used is the Internal Graphics chipset of my AMD64-X2 based, HP desktop. This Southbridge is an Nvidia GeForceSE nForce 430 chipset.

This stopped working this week = now nothing coming out video wise. So maybe it was getting faulty and causing this video error recently, as mentioned in my recent posts ?

In case you were instead wondering which video software driver is mentioned in Sysctl.conf — I will get back to you (if this is actually an answerable question).

That machine stopped altogether, video wise (even at boot), unless I add a dedicated Video card. So its bit difficult to go look at it now !

(Time for a PCBSD reinstall but with a pci-E Vid card added — - -).

Regards
        Ken

* *

• September 17, 2013 at 10:55 pm |

Hi all:

I’ve just installed PCBSD 9.2-RC4 in my Thinkpad T410 i5 with intel sandybridge. The system seems unusuable, after boot, almost at the begining of boot squence, when the kernel is loading the system freezes and the console goes black. It seems like reported in “http://​forums​.pcbsd​.org/​s​h​o​w​t​h​r​e​a​d​.​p​h​p​?​p​=​108988″. In this thread they say that the black screen remains during 45 minutes first time after installation (or that I understand).

In my case the system seems to be frozen because I can’t see any disk activity (led). It’s true I didn’t wait for 45 minutes.

In ghostbsd the effect is the same if I put ‘i915kms’ in /boot/loader.rc. If I removed from that file the system boots normally and X starts in vesa mode.

It seems like PCBSD boots loading i915kms and that leads to the black screen, but I’m not sure It finishes working well…

Could anyone report similar experiences or give feedback?

Thanks in advance,

Jes

• Eric S
    September 17, 2013 at 11:27 pm |

Jes, what you describe sounds like exactly what I’m seeing with a T420. I’ve waited more than the 45 minutes, letting it go for an hour even, and it makes no difference. I can’t make the forum link you quoted work, but mine is http://​forums​.pcbsd​.org/​s​h​o​w​t​h​r​e​a​d​.​p​h​p​?​t​=​20708

• September 17, 2013 at 11:53 pm |

Hi Eric. Teorically the i915kms module shouldn’t be load in the boot process. X should load it when you type startx. I tested in ghostbsd and X doesn’t load that module, I guess. What I get when the module is not loaded is to start X in vesa mode, what is unacceptable due very low performance (I can see how the screen is repainted for example).

So I’m stuck with this…

BR

Jes

• Eric S
        September 18, 2013 at 12:35 am |

Hi Jes,
        Type startx where?
        Are you saying you can get your PCBSD 9.2 installation to boot when you select “Run X in vesa mode” from the boot menu? Or are you talking about ghostbsd? Because I can’t get it to boot in that mode either.

• September 18, 2013 at 1:04 am |

What they say in the forum is to boot withouth i915kms and then, from a console, type startx, and X should load that module and use it, instead of vesa. But this seems not work for me.

BR,

Jes

• September 19, 2013 at 7:33 am |

Yes this module is loaded by default as without it, the Intel driver doesn’t work at all on any systems. PC-BSD doesn’t use startx. Instead, press escape as soon as the system boots up (there should be a very brief GRUB message in the upper left corner) to access the GRUB menu. Press enter to access the menu where you can press Vesa mode.

• Eric S
              September 19, 2013 at 8:12 am |

I can’t speak for Jes, obviously, but as his description matches what I am seeing very closely (unlike all the other Intel driver-related complaints I’ve seen) and his laptop model is very close to mine, I think we have the same problem.

And VESA mode does not help. I’ve tried every entry in this menu, Including VESA and the “Run Display wizard” option, letting each of them sit at the blank screen for a LONG time (an hour or more) to see if it would ever come back, and none of them ever do. The 9.1-RELEASE installed and booted fine on this same system a few weeks ago.

• September 19, 2013 at 8:25 am |

Thanks for the heads up. What’s the model of the video? Do you remember the name of the driver that worked?

• Eric S
                  September 19, 2013 at 9:12 am |

Hi, Sorry, but as a BSD-noob, I’m not sure what you are asking for. This is a Thinkpad T420 (Model 4178C9U) with Intel HD Graphics 3000.

I still have the working 9.1 installation on another hard disk so I can boot that and check any drivers or setting. If you tell me how to get the display driver name or version or such, I’ll gladly post it.

• September 19, 2013 at 9:24 am |

If you go into Control Panel -> Hardware Compatibility in the working system, it should give the name of the video driver being used.

• Eric S
                      September 19, 2013 at 9:35 am |

Actually I’d looked at that before the last post, but it seemed so unspecific I couldn’t imagine it was what you were asking for. :^)

It says:

Video driver: (intel)

• September 19, 2013 at 9:39 am |

Yup, that’s pretty unspecific :-) Thanks!

• Eric S
      October 6, 2013 at 5:11 pm |

Same results with the 1002 release build.

• Abdelmalek
    September 19, 2013 at 11:53 am |

there exist pcbsd-9.2 32bit

• September 19, 2013 at 10:51 pm |

Hi Dru:

IMHO the problem yields in loading the i915kms module at the begining. Probably is included in loader.conf, but I’m not sure (I don’t have way to check it because the system is frozen).

I’ve tested it in ghostbsd 3.5. When the module is included in loader.conf the system freezes just when the boot process begins.

In ghostbsd, if the module is loaded after the boot process, in a console, the screen goes black but you can type “startx” and the X works, but in VESA, becase XORG is not compiled (I guess) whith KMS.

In PCBSD 9.1 this problem didn’t happen. In 9.2 the system simply freeze, no disk led activity anymore.

My system is thinkpad T410 with the intel sandybridge. This card works pretty well in linux and OpenBSD 5.3 and even in OpenBSD curren (5.4 soon).

In some forum, as Eric and me write upper, they say that i915kms should be loaded automatically by Xorg when it starts. But I couldn’t verify it.

BR

Jes

• DJ9
    September 23, 2013 at 9:43 pm |

I’ve been enjoying this. Rock solid on a laptop with a i5 and HD3000. Congrats to everyone!

• September 24, 2013 at 5:38 am |

Thanks!

• September 30, 2013 at 7:31 pm |

When I use a default install (with zfs et al) and create the first user with an encrypted home directory, everything works fine if I log in via [k,g,x]dm. If, however, I reboot my box and ssh in:
    1) it takes a good 15 seconds to get a prompt
    2) I don’t see any of my user’s files. Instead I get a bunch of files with names that look like 3 passwords concatenated together.

I havne’t had a chance to dig in and figure out what’s happening differently in an ssh login as compared to an X login so I figured I’d just pass along the info.

• October 3, 2013 at 2:40 pm |

PEFS uses the PAM subsystem for authentication. Kris tried adding it to pam.d/sshd to enable pefs for ssh auth but had to back out the change due to errors. Can you create a ticket at trac​.pcbsd​.org so this request doesn’t get lost and a dev can look into resolving the error?

• Noy
    October 3, 2013 at 6:25 am |

when will the final release be available?

• October 3, 2013 at 7:40 am |

• Ian Robinson
    October 7, 2013 at 5:35 am |

PCBSD9.2-RELEASE-p9-1002-2013-x64 is now available on the PCBSD download site.

• October 7, 2013 at 5:36 am |

It shouldn’t be downloaded until after it is announced though.

• Eric S
        October 7, 2013 at 9:08 am |

Wasn’t putting the 9.2 banner on the pcbsd home page and linking the “Download Now” button on that page to it, effectively announcing it several weeks ago?

• October 7, 2013 at 9:29 am |

Nope. It’s not released until its announced. Everything else is prep work (yes, I know it is confusing).

• Eric S
            October 7, 2013 at 10:23 am |

But the reality is, when someone comes to the pc-bsd site during that period, and they see the 9.2 banner, they assume (quite reasonably) that 9.2 is the latest Released version. When they click Download Now, they get a iso that they quite reasonably assume is a release.

Whether or not the official PC-BSD meaning of “released” has been achieved, the PC-BSD site is in reality communicating to visitors that it is. It is not just a matter of confusing, it is downright misleading and poorly done.

(I phrased that generally but I don’t know if that is how you do it every time, as a matter of process, or if this time was just a mistake. If a mistake, hey, okay, mistakes happen. If official process, someone should seriously rethink it.)

• October 8, 2013 at 3:53 pm |

Thanks for the feedback, I’ve passed it along to see if we can make this clearer for next release.

• Ian Robinson
    October 7, 2013 at 7:27 am |

Sorry Dru. Since I have downloaded it, should I delete my download and send back the DVD that I burned? :)

• Ian Robinson
    October 8, 2013 at 4:52 am |

@Eric S.

The labeling on the PCBSD home page was neither a mistake or misleading. My discovery of the files before the official announcement resulted from following the blog discussions.

For several months PCBSD has made available the beta and release candidates for 9.2. The Blog announcements were in sync with the downloads. However, three events occurred that made it logical that the newest files were the RELEASE.

(1)In late September, FreeBSD issued 9.2-RELEASE. (This was the significant signal that PCBSD RELEASE would be very, very soon.)

(2)On October 3, 2013, Dru said of the upcoming PCBSD RELEASE, “It is currently being built and tested. Barring any last minute glitches, I expect there will be an announcement in the next day or so.”

(3) The download page was updated a day or two later after Dru’s statement.

Dru’s statement that is not released until it is announced is consistent with PCBSD’s longstanding policy.

Then again, those on the self-upgrading rolling release were likely already at the RELEASE level in all but name.

Finally, thanks to the PCBSD Team for another release. PCBSD gets better and better and better. That’s why I use it, and that’s why you’ll catch me lurking around the PCBSD web site all the time.