Oct

PC-BSD Weekly Feature Digest 10/25/13

The big news of the week is finally here!  PC-BSD 10 images are ready for testing.   These images are offered for testing and development purposes only!  (Read disclaimer below).  They are still in alpha so by all means fire away, but expect breakage.  The more of you that can delve into this and get us feedback on bug reports the better!

PC-BSD 10.0 will offer a UEFI loader on installation media, as well as the newly polished life preserver system app.   Also the installer will now offer the ability to choose between GRUB or BSD bootloader.

Over the course of the next several weeks more packages and PBI’s will become available as they become available / working for us.  Keep an eye out on 10.0 updates here on the weekly feature digest.

Disclaimer
———————————————

This image is a very early cut of the new stable/10 branch of FreeBSD and is probably only suitable for advanced users or developers. A PKGNG repository is available for this release, however it is missing a number of packages we would normally ship with, such as virtualbox drivers, KDE accessories, etc. The AppCafe will currently appear empty, but we plan on populating it over the next few weeks.

Written by Josh Smith. Posted in 10.0, 9.2, hardware, new features

• October 26, 2013 at 6:40 pm |

[…] Leer Mas […]

October 27, 2013 at 8:19 am |

Cool, Thanks a lot everyone. Can’t wait for the 10.0 Release. :)

• Bob Zowaki
    October 28, 2013 at 1:38 am |

You didn’t give a link to download the PC-BD 10 image.

• Chuck
    October 28, 2013 at 10:36 am |

I have tried to download PC-BSD v9.2 Release five times using various browsers (IE10, Firefox v24, and Opera) with no success. Each time, middle of day or late night, the download is interrupted, stopped, or whatever the appropriate word is, and even if I choose “resume,” The download starts all over again.

I download other large files on a fairly regular basis without this issue, so I have to think the answer is outside my control. Any ideas?

• Josh Smith
      October 28, 2013 at 12:37 pm |

Hey Chuck! Can you tell me whereabouts you are located so I can ask our server admins if we are having any trouble in that area? you can also try “http://​iso​.cdn​.pcbsd​.org/​9​.​2​-​R​E​L​E​A​SE/” and download it from there if the direct link is not working for some reason.

• Chuck
    October 28, 2013 at 2:16 pm |

I am located in the Chicago, IL area of the USA, and will try the new link you provided.

Copied link and tried to locate produced a 404 error, and when I inserted “www.” where appropriate, received an immediate “page not available” error.

• October 28, 2013 at 3:59 pm |

Very strange. It almost sounds like a node is for a lack of a better term “behaving badly”. I’ll see what we can do and get back to you shortly. If you’d like to follow up or communicate with me directly you can email me @ joshms@pcbsd.org. Sometimes you can get a quicker response that way.

• anderson
    November 7, 2013 at 10:03 am |

PCBSD 9.2 in the package manager uninstalls everything, including the entire desktop, even when selecting only a few packages to remove.

my pc is a notebook ASUS K45VM, nvidia driver package don’t works.

i’m downloading pcbsd 10 (24-Oct-2013)

• anderson