Dec

Next 10.0 Image Available

Kris has announced the availability of the next 10.0 image:

The next PC-BSD 10-STABLE image is now available for download!

Disclaimer:

This image is a very early cut of the new stable/10 branch of FreeBSD and is probably only suitable for advanced users or developers. A PKGNG repository is available for this release, however it is missing a number of packages we would normally ship with, such as virtualbox drivers, KDE accessories, etc.

Updating:

If you are updating from an earlier version of 10-STABLE you may need to manually run pkg-static upgrade and remove any conflicting packages. This is due to the switch to Gnome3 and the Linux Centos 6 compatibility layer.

New Features:

• Includes FreeBSD 10-STABLE / 10.0-BETA3 from 11/20/2013
  • Includes the Gnome3 / Mate / Cinnamon desktops, replacing Gnome2.
  • Updated installer options for text-mode, including ZFS options
  • Improved PBIs support
  • Updated our Linux compatibility layer to Centos 6
  • Numerous bug-fixes

10-STABLE notable features:

• Updated KMS / AMD driver support
  • ISO file is a hybrid USB file, and can be “dd“ed to a USB media.
  • New text-based installer
  • New UEFI loader on installation media
  • Able to select between GRUB/BSD loaders during installation
  • New desktops! Gnome 3, Mate and Cinnamon
  • And much more!

Reporting Issues:

Found a bug? Please report it, in as much detail as possible, to our Trac database.

Written by dru. Posted in 10.0, new features, testers

• Ragansi
    December 2, 2013 at 2:46 pm |

Interesting that you switched to CentOS 6 for the compat layer. What exactly does that bring to the table for FreeBSD/PC-BSD? I manage a bunch of RHEL/Oracle Linux/CentOS 5 and 6 machines. This has raised my curiosity greatly.

• December 3, 2013 at 7:03 am |

Well, it brings us Skype4, which was one of the biggies, but also with a newer compat layer, we can start to provide more PBIs of apps which are released on CentOS6, as opposed to the older Fedora 10.

• John
        December 19, 2013 at 11:38 pm |

I wanted to see if things like Citrix will work better now that you are using CentOS6 as the compatibility layer? I am not sure how this works but know that one reason I have left pcbsd for some time is that I can not connect to work as I need the citrix client to connect. This is not a problem with Linux so that is one reason why I am excited about this.

• December 23, 2013 at 6:13 am |

Unfortunately we had to pull linux_base-c6 as it proved to be too unstable.

• Ragansi
    December 2, 2013 at 4:45 pm |

Didn’t realize this was done in FreeBSD proper. Next time I’ll look before I ask. ^_^. Thanks for the hard work guys. I used PC-BSD 9.2 as my workstation at work. So much better than the Windblows laptop they gave us.

• Alptekin SANLI
    December 3, 2013 at 12:53 am |

When I try to change—-using pw on the CLI—-the UID of a user created via the Control Panel, I can no longer log in with that user. Is that a problem with the graphical login manager, or am I spoiling the user somehow? I absolutely need to change the UID of my main user to 501, from 1001.

• December 3, 2013 at 5:06 am |

Sounds like a bug. Please create a bug report at trac​.pcbsd​.org and post the bug number here.

December 3, 2013 at 12:53 am |

Thanks a lot everyone! :)

• anderson
    December 3, 2013 at 9:15 am |

downloading…

• anderson
      December 3, 2013 at 11:52 am |

The installer has encountered an error and has been halted.

Error reading ‘/mnt/All/pkg-1.1.4_10.txz’

EXITERROR: Error 70: pkg –c /mnt add /mnt/All/pkg-1.1.4_10.txz

my install options:
      Gnome3
      bootloader = BSD
      nvidia drivers
      swap = 2GB
      GPT = OFF
      force 4k zfs = OFF
      4GB RAM

machine: ASUS K45VM core i7 3610qm/8GB/windows7basic 64bits

–vmware tools synchronize guest time with host.
      –display option accelerate 3D graphics enable.
      –network adapter NAT.

• December 3, 2013 at 11:59 am |

What’s the size of the VM?

• anderson
          December 4, 2013 at 9:18 am |

50GiB

• December 6, 2013 at 6:15 am |

That’s plenty big. Did you check the checksum of the download?

• anderson
              December 6, 2013 at 1:31 pm |

No, i didn’t.

but now the new ISO downloaded today is OK.

• anderson
              December 6, 2013 at 1:42 pm |

gnome3 needs more testing

• December 6, 2013 at 1:46 pm |

Yup, a lot of stuff is still broken in 10. As you come across errors, check to see if there’s already a bug at trac​.pcbsd​.org and make one if there is not. That way the devs can fix as much as possible before release (you can’t fix what you don’t know is broken).

• AnbuBlack
    December 3, 2013 at 10:24 am |

I received the following error (see the pic) but what is interesting is that my CPU is core 2 duo. Any idea?!

• December 3, 2013 at 10:29 am |

When you created the VM, did you select the FreeBSD 64-bit version? Also, check the System settings in vbox.

• Carlos
    December 3, 2013 at 6:29 pm |

is nvidia optimus working with this release?

• December 5, 2013 at 6:33 am |

We’re still waiting for the driver from NVIDIA with full Optimus support. For now, the BIOS still needs to be set to discrete.

• hsw
    December 6, 2013 at 12:11 am |

I tried the Nov 26 version on Optiplex330 (3GB RAM, 500GB HD) and the
    graphic install does not detect the hard disk; clicking on the OK
    button blanks the screen and appears to hang the machine.

Rebooted and used the xterm from the fluxbox menu to run dmesg and saw
    that the kernel detected the disk as “ada0” used fdisk to delete
    partitions. Still cannot detect the HD.

Booted to text installer, this detects and selects “ada0” and also
    lists the USB reader (“da0”). Selected desktop install, set some
    network options, edited the install script to remove all KDE items and
    added meta-xfce items.

Setting up xfce ran into a couple of problems:
    1. The menu/taskbar font is bad, and the xfce settings is unable to change it
    (though the window title can be changed without problem)
    2. The volume control icon is missing from the tray.

Firefox was installed using AppCafe, it has problems with twit​.tv: No
    video, no sound and mouse cannot not move video position slider.
    However after pausing/restarting the video once the timer has started
    the video plays correctly, but still no sound. (9.2 similar, but
    sound does work). The twit​.tv ustream is ok, so it seems to be
    incompatibility with SublimeVideo player.

On the plus side many more YouTube videos will play than on 9.2
    and jupiterbroadcasting​.com (TechSNAP and BSD Now) play correctly.

A comment on the text installer: Several times I selected the “install
    wizard” option (which reset my edits) when I should have just selected
    “install”, perhaps the wizard menu line could be changed.

Overall this is looking like a really good release.

• December 6, 2013 at 5:47 am |

Thank you for the detailed feedback. Can you create a bug report at trac​.pcbsd​.org regarding the 2 items on xfce?

Firefox on 10 has known sound issues ATM, hopefully they will be sorted soon. Regarding the GUI install, I wonder if 3GB RAM was too little?

• hsw
        December 6, 2013 at 9:34 pm |

Font issue: #859
        Missing volume applet: #860

I see that there are some new updates, and I might just try a re-install; if I find out more I’ll just add it to the trac.

One other point on Firefox with SublimeVideo (twit​.tv) I found that on 9.2 the video player’s volume control
        has no effect. (the 9.2 Try icon is working). So there
        is definitely some problem with this player.

• WCSN
    December 6, 2013 at 7:42 am |

Tell me, the installer will allow a greater choice of options or so and will be like an ascetic cell? :)
    Compare with opensuse installer, honestly speaking, it is much better: (.
    In PCBSD 8.2, the situation was better …

• December 6, 2013 at 7:53 am |

The available options are documented in Chapters 35 of http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/PC-BSD%C2%AE_Users_Handbook/10.0#Table_of_Contents.

• WCSN
        December 6, 2013 at 10:37 am |

This is known … (what you said)
        I’m asking you: The installer will remain with the minimum set of options?
        Without the ability to select a set of software, without the possibility of choice and marking hard drive, etc. That’s why I compared it to openSUSE.
        I use it as the main OS FreeBSD/PCBSD 15++ years … But wonder how to develop OS installer, even in comparison with ynyshtyefdd … (
        It is very pleased with the system itself evolves as a whole, but as a strange OS to almost everything, but as the installer from another world not allow the virtually nothing :) … strange.

• WCSN
          December 7, 2013 at 2:00 am |

ynyshtyefdd — openSUSE

… and PCBSD OS for desktop for ordinary users but so hard to deny choice is not true.

• Kruznak
    December 6, 2013 at 8:50 am |

Is there a way to boot and install PC-BSD 10 on an Intel Core Duo (T2350) CPU? At boot time, I get this error message: your CPU does not implement AMD64 architecture.

• December 6, 2013 at 8:57 am |

Not if it’s a 32-bit CPU as support for these ended with 9.1.

• Wzrd1
        February 17, 2014 at 9:06 pm |

Well, that answered my question on my first test of PC-BSD.
        First and last, as my test boxes are all 32 bit.

Back to either FreeBSD or Linux. I can’t take production machines down to use as test boxes, so I use old 32 bit boxes for testing.

• Josh Smith
          February 18, 2014 at 1:00 pm |

You still have options if you want to give PC-BSD a try. You can grab a legacy version that supports 32 bit (like 9.1), or download freebsd 32 bit and then grab the appropriate PC-BSD packages.

• vanessa
    December 8, 2013 at 11:27 pm |

I posted a couple of questions regarding the new image format in the forum here: http://​forums​.pcbsd​.org/​s​h​o​w​t​h​r​e​a​d​.​p​h​p​?​t​=​21336

Could somebody answer them?

• Neal
    December 24, 2013 at 9:53 am |

Has anyone got this to install on a Mac yet? I’ve been trying to install on my MacBook with absolutely no success so far.

• December 26, 2013 at 5:43 am |

It’s been a while since I’ve heard of someone who has had success with this…

• Neal
        December 26, 2013 at 5:50 am |

9.2 Installs fine as I already have this running on the same Macbook Pro.

• December 27, 2013 at 5:35 am |

In that case, can you check to see if there is a bug at trac​.pcbsd​.org and create one if there is not? Either way, please post the bug number here.

• Neal
            December 28, 2013 at 2:56 am |

I’ve created ticket #891 which describes the problems.

• December 28, 2013 at 10:27 am |