Dec

PC-BSD 10.0-RC2 Available

The first PC-BSD 10.0-RELEASE image, based upon FreeBSD 10.0-RC2, is now available for download!

Disclaimer

This image is still a pre-release version of the upcoming 10.0-RELEASE. There is a known issue with VirtualBox not yet working, so if you rely upon this functionality you should wait to update until it is fixed in RC3, or the official RELEASE.

Updating

Online updating to 10.0-RELEASE is not yet enabled, but will be for the next test revision based upon FreeBSD 10.0-RC3.

10.0-RELEASE notable features

• Includes FreeBSD 10.0-RC2 from 12/19/2013
  • Updated KMS / AMD driver support
  • ISO file is a hybrid USB file, and can be “dd“ed to a USB media.
  • New text-based installer
  • New UEFI loader on installation media
  • Able to select between GRUB/BSD loaders during installation
  • New desktops! Gnome 3, Mate (Replaces Gnome2) and Cinnamon
  • And much more!

Reporting Issues

Found a bug? Please report it, in as much detail as possible, to our Trac database.

Written by dru. Posted in 10.0, testers

• December 26, 2013 at 11:47 am |

Very cool! Can’t wait for the release! :D

• Anonymous
    December 26, 2013 at 2:28 pm |

Every time I’ve tried to use this system, any change made to xorg.conf results in the following:
    (1) It doesn’t work as intended. I’ve tried to add entries in support of the synaptics touchpad driver and nothing changes.
    (2) I lose KMS support after making any change, and so far nothing I’ve tried (reconfiguring Xorg, etc) has restored native resolution. Just vesa which is completely unacceptable.

Has this changed at all?

I just got a Thinkpad T530 with Intel HD 4000 Graphics. And I’m not going to let PCBSD ruin my setup, so I have to be damn sure it’s going to work if I ever try it again.

Because it WILL clobber my bootloader, no matter what I do.

• December 26, 2013 at 2:36 pm |

I have a T530s which runs just fine with the default probed X config. What are you trying to accomplish with synaptics? I never had any luck with that.

• Anonymous
        December 26, 2013 at 2:45 pm |

With synaptics, I was trying to get the driver to load and support either vertical side-scrolling, or 2-finger vertical scrolling — just any kind of vertical touchpad scroll.

This was on an older, cheaper Ideapad. Never got anything to work, and as I said simply “succeeded” in ruining my screen res.

Now I have this Thinkpad T530, Intel graphics ONLY (I’m not a PC gamer), and it has Windows 7 still intact.

I really don’t want to install PCBSD if it’s going to make unilateral decisions for me regarding boot setup, especially if it’s also not going to work well with my hardware.

So you haven’t had any success with touchpad vertical scrolling on your T530?

• December 26, 2013 at 3:04 pm |

To be honest, I disable the touchpad as I hate it and only use the track button :-)

If you’re planning to dual boot, I’d hold off as even after shrinking the drive to get disk space, PC-BSD installed just fine in the new partition, but grub didn’t pick up Windows automagically.

• Anonymous
            December 26, 2013 at 3:12 pm |

Alright, thank you for the info. :)

Honestly if all my hardware was supported I wouldn’t need to dual boot.

But I can’t justify throwing away something with 100% compatibility for something with less than that. I’ll do some further research on manual setup.

• colby
            December 27, 2013 at 7:00 am |

About intel KMS support. The last time I looked it was not usable — pcbsd — 9+ because of artifacts and no suppport for sleep state on the cpu resulting very very short battery life on my asus laptop — sandybridge i5 — and temperatures so high when compiling software that I feared for the health of the machine; win7 and linux had no such problems. I used various conf voodoo –with_new_xorg etc to no avial — so I’m stuck with what I have -

Are you saying my machine is not on fire and well an hour or so is all I ever really use it — or — have you compared stats with win amd linux and found kms support to be comparable — by comparaable I do not mean mesa and game support — my hands are too full to play games on my laptop or anything else.

Thanks,

Colby

• January 5, 2014 at 7:58 am |

My best suggestion is to try it and let us know your thoughts. There’s a lot of hardware out there and we rely on users to provide feedback.

• Sanatan
    December 26, 2013 at 6:09 pm |

Virtualbox problem means PC-BSD wouldn’t work as guest OS currently or PC-BSD cant run VirtualBox as a host OS? Any reason ?

• December 26, 2013 at 6:21 pm |

Right now it isn’t running on 10 (it builds but segfaults when runs) so you can’t run vbox as the host OS. We hope this will be sorted by the next RC.

• Sanatan
        December 26, 2013 at 6:33 pm |

Ah, probably best time to switch to QEMU ;) Is there any torrent available as it would be heart breaking if download fails because of network error at 99.9% on my slow connection :P

• […] Puedes encontrar todos los detalles, remitiendote al anuncio oficial. […]

• […] and NOT an official release.  For more information on RC2 please visit the following blog page: http://blog.pcbsd.org/2013/12/pc-bsd-100-rc2-available/ .   PC-BSD 10.0 Release RC2 can be downloaded […]

• December 27, 2013 at 6:14 pm |

• Nelson
    December 28, 2013 at 7:42 am |

I’m trying to run PC BSD for the first time in Virtualbox 4.3. I installed it fine using the fall back option. after rebooting it gets stuck in the “please wait starting X” window.. any ideas what might be the problem?

• December 28, 2013 at 10:21 am |

Which version of PC-BSD (full name of ISO you downloaded)? What do you mean by the fall back option? What operating system is virtualbox running on? Does it boot if you select VESA from the boot menu?

• Nelson
    December 28, 2013 at 10:41 am |

No worries dru, I was able to install it on VMware player…I was testing the RC2 10.0 version. Very impressive BTW, it feels a lot lighter than the Linux distributions I’m used to. I’m gonna test drive it for awhile and see if I can use it as my daily driver.

Is anyone using the owncloud client on PC BSD? I could not find a package in the app cafe for it…

• December 28, 2013 at 10:52 am |

There isn’t a PBI but there is a package. Use “pkg install owncloud” as the superuser to install it.

• […] new desktops – GNOME 3, MATE (replaces GNOME 2) and Cinnamon.” Here is the brief release announcement. Download from […]

• Larry Lamsy
    December 31, 2013 at 7:01 am |

I have installed pcbsd 8. It is slow but still works. I then upgrade to 8.1, graphical driver (ATI) not works. I wait and install 8.2, it works again. I then upgraded to 9.0, g.driver not works. 9.1 works, 9.2 not works again! Come on! I inquired and googled. Some one said ATI just a cheap graphic card, suggested me to change other. Some one just me to wait version 10, it should works. Can some one get it fixed, PLEASE!!

• January 5, 2014 at 7:50 am |

Did you create a bug report at trac​.pcbsd​.org? If so, please post the bug # here.

• January 4, 2014 at 1:24 pm |

You still should fix fluxbox in a way that it does not honour the keyboard setting.

Thus it will be as keyboard agnostic regarding foreign languages as kde is.

hth

• January 4, 2014 at 11:40 pm |

Alright, figured it out.

Went to System Settings / Input Devices /Keyboard and added my keyboard layout.

But kde is not very intuitive in this case.

I had to reconfigure it about 3 to 4 times till it worked as expected.

Another one:

Removing the kde l10n meta package only removes the meta package but not as one would think all the single l10n packages.

• January 5, 2014 at 6:41 am |

Thanks for the heads up on the packages, we’ll look into it.

Out of curiosity, why not use the login manager to change the keyboard layout?

• January 5, 2014 at 7:40 am |

I tried to do it with the login manager but it plain did not work with kde.

With fluxbox and window maker it works.
          Have not yet tried other window managers but could do so.

• January 5, 2014 at 7:49 am |

I am puzzled.
          I installed all of the other window managers and also all of the other desktop environments.

Before testing those i rechecked with kde and removed all the changes i had made in system settings / input devices / keyboard.

After logging out and into kde it worked with the login manager settings.
          Will restart the machine completely to see if it persists.

Seems to me that kde is missing something without all of the other wm´s and de´s installed.

This is not nice it seems to me.

Will have to remove one by one all of the other wm´s and de´s to recheck wich one would enhance kde functionality.

This is imho a missing dependency to me.

• January 5, 2014 at 7:53 am |

Interesting… Please keep us posted on your results.

• January 5, 2014 at 8:08 am |

I currently think it would be of no use to remove the other meta packages.

Will do a clean install and add the meta packages of the window managers and desktop environments one by one.

Should not be too hard to find out which of those enhances kde to honour the settings of the login manager.

Too tired to do it now.
              If i cant find sleep i even might do it this night.

• January 5, 2014 at 1:17 pm |

Not reproducible.
              My conclusions were wrong.
              The problem setting the keyboard layout has nothing to do with any of the other wm‘s or de‘s.
              Added them one by one and restarted.
              Nothing.
              kde seems to use another input system than the login manager.
              Still have to set by system settings / input devices / keyboard.

• January 5, 2014 at 6:51 am |

I tried to do it with the login manager but it plain did not work with kde.

With fluxbox and window maker it works.
    Have not yet tried other window managers but could do so.

• root
    January 5, 2014 at 6:05 pm |

Please include radeon gallium 3d driver support!

• January 6, 2014 at 5:28 am |

Have you tried the Hardware Compatibility in the installer to see if it is supported?

• Georgios
    January 7, 2014 at 10:56 am |

Hello

I would like to ask whether the upcomming release (10) will support for full disk encryption (FDE) and not only encryption for /home.

• January 7, 2014 at 12:22 pm |
    • Kay
      January 12, 2014 at 3:08 am |

That is a good point: I am very fond of the full disc encryption but it was unfortunately taken out in the default install in 9R PCBSD I think (it was running totally stable with UFS and geli).
      I was wondering about the reasons, whether they are connected to the Snowden thing. Now, you can still easily do it by hand during pcbsd install — referring to the roadmap citation below, will there be full disc encryption in the install also for UFS ? ZFS on consumer laptops is overkill and a lot slower in many operations than UFS. thanks for PCBSD/FreeBSD anyway.

• January 13, 2014 at 5:43 am |

Yes, the backend installer still supports UFS.

The removal had nothing to do with Snowden, but feedback from some crypto people that it provides too much known information (e.g. the contents of /usr outside of home) which could be used to break the crypto. Whereas, the contents of home are much more random.

• […] 26 December - PC-BSD 10.0-RC2 released […]

• Kay
    January 12, 2014 at 3:01 am |

Hi,
    just one short question and I apologise if the answer is so obvious, but is there an upgrade from 9.2R to 10.0R possible or is reinstalling recommended ?

• January 12, 2014 at 7:11 am |

There will be an update for 9.2R and the update manager chapter of the docs will be updated to show this once we’ve tested (and before we push out) the upgrade.

• TT
    January 13, 2014 at 10:47 pm |

Is it possible to include ICH HDA sound drivers to next release. We have lot’s of older Lenovos (X60, T60) in our office, but sounds are not working. They did work in earlier releases but not anymore in 9.x versions.

• January 14, 2014 at 5:21 am |

If the Sound Configuration utility in Control Panel doesn’t fix it, please create a bug report at trac​.pcbsd​.org and post the issue number here.

• Yogibear
    January 19, 2014 at 9:08 am |

Thank you very much for your fine work. PC-BSD 10.0 runs well on my Notebook. Unfortunetely I have a small problem: At the Startscreen I can not Change the Keyboard Layout to German. So I have the british Keys on my Keaboard. Do I make something wrong or is it a bug?

• January 22, 2014 at 4:57 pm |

I believe this bug was fixed in a later RC. Please let us know if it still persists after upgrading to a later RC or RELEASE (once it’s available).