Jan

PC-BSD Weekly Feature Digest

Bug fixes, code freezes, and PBI speed increases!  There’s lots of exciting news this week in PC-BSD so let’s have a look.

PC-BSD 10.0 Release has entered into the “code freeze” phase of development.   In order to increase stability and focus on prioritizing bug fixing, major feature changes under the hood should no longer be committed for 10.0 Release.  Trac ticket owners are encouraged to finish and submit your cosmetic / general bug fixes as soon as possible.

PC-BSD release candidate 4 (p3) is currently being built and is expected to be finished sometime over the weekend.  Please click here to check and see if the latest image is currently available.  If it is not available please check again later.

The PC-BSD update system has received quite a bit of new stability improvements in the form of additional code.  Users can expect to see an improvement in the form of less errors during updates and an overall smoother update transition between builds.

Here’s a quick recap of some other awesome new features / bug fixes that have been committed over the last week.  Please test and report any problems as quickly as possible so we can make sure 10.0 Release will be ready to roll (no pun intended) when the time comes.

• Most recent package set for 9.2 is currently being uploaded
  • Improved Nvidia video card detection routines
  •   The PBI format received a substantial upgrade over the course of the week allowing for PBI load times to be reduced in some cases up to 40%.
  • A fix has been implemented for the virtualbox driver
  • New wine PBI’s have just finished testing, and should be available in the next couple of days
  • Fixes have been committed for missing shortcut keys in the PC-BSD installer
  • Keyboard layout issues have been resolved for multiple desktop environments
  • Auto-mount detection has been improved for multiple desktop environments

That’s it for this week folks.  Please keep us informed if you have problems that are persisting in the newest Release Candidate image.

Best Regards,

–Josh

Written by Josh Smith. Posted in Uncategorized

January 11, 2014 at 12:35 am |

Thanks a lot Josh and everyone else. :)

Just to make certain: when all the bugs are fixed and testing is done, will the last/final 10.0 version be named something simple like “PCBSD 10.0 RELEASE”? Just wondering what the 10.0 version will be named, that is safe to use for production work?

• Josh Smith
      January 13, 2014 at 6:00 am |

Yes I believe you are correct it will be just PC-BSD 10.0 Release. :).

January 13, 2014 at 6:49 am |

Cool, Thanks Josh. :)

• edub
    January 13, 2014 at 12:20 am |

Hello. I’ve been eagerly waiting on the virtualbox fixes so I can try pcbsd out. So, I’ve been watching the server you linked all weekend waiting for the new iso’s to go up, but I’m still only seeing p2. Everything go ok with the build and is there any timeline on those getting uploaded? Thanks and have a great day.

• Josh Smith
      January 13, 2014 at 5:57 am |

The build was finished, but the upload was delayed due to a bug. I would check back tomorrow and see if your mirror has updated with the new image :). We apologize for the inconvenience.

• John
        January 14, 2014 at 7:59 pm |

I kept checking this weekend as well and the one linked in this article still has the updates from the 3rd. I would love to try it out but want the latest updates. I guess I will have to wait another day or so.

• Vandorr
    January 14, 2014 at 1:42 am |

Most recent package set for 9.2 is currently being uploaded“
    Hi, where did you upload the latest 9.2? On the ftp server there is still the (2013) november edition.
    Thanks,

• Josh Smith
      January 15, 2014 at 7:06 am |

When we say a package set is being uploaded, we mean for you to download it through the package manager in PC-BSD. The FTP server is not used for much these days now that we have our CDN.

• anderson
    January 14, 2014 at 11:32 am |

awaiting for tests

• Josh Smith
      January 15, 2014 at 6:43 am |

Hey Anderson,

Please give the download servers another try. It is showing up on my end this morning.

• anderson
      January 15, 2014 at 11:14 am |

PCBSD10.0-RELEASE-p3-0113-2014-x64-DVD-USB.iso tested!!

reported bugs

Gnome3 must be improved.

• Josh Smith
        January 15, 2014 at 4:20 pm |

1. You need to stop using gnome3 in virtualbox. It is an unsupported 3d accelerated desktop environment. You cannot expect it to work as if it was native hardware. The capability doesn’t exist yet.

2. We’ve told you this same key principle every week for the last month.

3. Gnome3 just began being ported over to PC-BSD about 2 months ago.

4. Try a different desktop environment. Gnome3 is currently unsupported because it is not yet ready to be a supported desktop under PC-BSD.

5. It’s a waste of time to re-hash the exact same issue over and over and over and over, especially when it isn’t a pertinent issue.

Best Regards,

Josh

• BSDude
    January 14, 2014 at 11:34 pm |

Latest images are online, yaaaay! Thanks guys!

• Josh Smith
      January 15, 2014 at 6:49 am |

You’re welcome. Please let us know if you find any major issues by notifying us on trac :).

• John
    January 15, 2014 at 5:20 am |

I finally got the download and installed it. It took a while to get to the install part. I see that while doing the install the second part down shows what is installing and this bar just scrolls across the screen which is not very helpful. It would be nice if it went across like one bar and then the next to show how far along the install is. I know the one on top shows the percentage done but the one on the bottom should have a way of knowing how far along this is. Also when it is done doing the software install the goes to the unmount it does the same thing just scrolls across the screen with out knowing how far along this process is. It would be handy like other distributions if you could set up the user account then and not have to wait until after the reboot. The update manager should be a little better as well. It shows you have updates and then you open it and it has to check that it does have updates. If it tells you it has updates they should be shown when the update manager is opened. I have not installed hplip as I figured this would be installed. When I tried to the control panel and install my printer which I have a Canon it gave me a cups error. The desktop though seems to be more responsive then it was in version 9 so glad that things are improving.

• John
      January 15, 2014 at 5:39 am |

I found out that after the update and reboot I was able to install my printer. I installed hplip first but it did not see my printer. I just did this because I know some time ago you wanted people to test this to see if they could print using it. It never saw my printer so had to install it the other way. The only thing I wished is that it would see my ink levels but it is nice to be able to print.

January 15, 2014 at 6:06 am |

Hi John:

Would you please tell me if your Canon printer has a scanning feature and if it is able to do scans in PC-BSD? I have a friend and I would love to install PC-BSD 10.0 for him on his PC, but he has a Canon MG 8120 printer and I am uncertain how to get the scanning feature to work for him in PC-BSD.

Thank you and anyone else for any help/advice as I am not very CUPs, etc. literate, lots of laughs. :)

• Josh Smith
        January 15, 2014 at 7:00 am |

Oh fantastic. Glad it worked with HPLIP. Let us know if you run into any other issues. We are glad to help.

• Josh Smith
      January 15, 2014 at 6:58 am |

Hey John thanks for your feedback.

We are aware of the issue where update manager will tell you updates are available, but not show the updates until maybe 30 seconds — a minute later when you open it. We are looking into ways of speeding this up, but users will not see a difference until 10.1.

To clarify on your printer did you have to have HPLIP installed to make it work?

Glad you are seeing a speed increase on your end. Some of the changes are subtle, but overall we are looking to deliver the smoothest version of PC-BSD yet with version 10.0.

• John
        January 15, 2014 at 2:09 pm |

I installed hplip but when I used the software to set up my printer it does not see it. I went to the control panel and set it up this way which I think just used gutenprint to set this up.

• January 16, 2014 at 10:46 pm |

[…] PCBSD weekly digest […]

• January 17, 2014 at 7:35 am |

Very nice release. Everything that was broken for me now works. Firefox doesn’t crash the machine on first launch if installed via PBI, and Wine is able to run programs from cmdline.

New Problems:
    Grub-Slice install with zfs simply will not work for me. When the partition is set to active, or is chainloaded by linux’s grub or windows I get:

error: disk ‘(hostdisk//dev/ada0,msdos4’ not found.
    Entering rescue mode…
    grub rescue>

I’ve tried several installs, this is always the result.

• […] PC-BSD weekly digest […]