Jan

PC-BSD Weekly Feature Digest

PC-BSD 10.0 is hurtling towards the finish line, and the big news this week of course is that the PC-BSD 10.0 RC-4 image is now live!  If you want to be on the cutting edge of PC-BSD development please follow the link here and download the latest version of PC-BSD version 10.0 RC-4.  Please be aware this is still an early RC image and is not an official release.

We are aware a small number of users reported that Grub is behaving slowly during RC2 and RC3 initial startups, and at the time I was able to duplicate the issue on two of my test machines.  I have not been able to duplicate the issue with RC4.  If anyone is still experiencing slow Grub boot times it is imperative you download the test grub text image @ http://web.pcbsd.org/~kris/PCBSD-10.0-RC4-grubtext.iso , and see if this helps and / or fixes your problem.  Also it is beneficial to enable debug mode in your grub.cfg file and report anything that may look like it’s choking the system.  This is the last critical issue we are looking into for PC-BSD 10.0 Release, and we’d love to track this down and get it taken care of.

NOTE:  This is only for testing and booting purposes and is not appropriate to install from.  Much of the PC-BSD image has been removed.

The wine PBI is now available in the AppCafe for PC-BSD version 10.0. I’ve tested the wine PBI with a number of different windows programs, and it appears to be functioning normally. Wine has a couple of kinks that will hopefully get ironed out over the course of the next couple of months, but for now it is usable.  A couple things to remember if you want to use wine: The icons wine creates currently do not display the correct icons for the program, and would not execute the programs in my testing in KDE.  I had to browse to the appropriate program directory and execute the program through wine’s run command.  I have also been told that running the programs from the command line + wine also works just fine.

Remember: if you want to have a stable system, wine can lead to a number of freezes and or crashes especially with improper settings.  This does not mean PC-BSD has a bug.

PC-BSD 9.2 Release systems will now be able to upgrade to PC-BSD version 10.0 Release and keep their PBI library.  Kris has designed an upgrade feature that will allow PC-BSD to uninstall the user’s 9.2 PBIs (while keeping the PBI’s settings) during the update, and then reinstall the correct 10.0 PBI’s after the system update.

That’s it for this week folks.   Catch you later!

–Josh

Written by Josh Smith. Posted in 10.0, 9.2, misc, new features, pbis, testers

January 17, 2014 at 4:28 pm |

Thanks again Josh and everyone. Lots of great additions and fixes coming with 10.0 which we greatly appreciate. :)

• Josh Smith
      January 22, 2014 at 4:59 am |

You’re welcome sg1efc! The wait is almost over for the official release!

January 22, 2014 at 7:02 am |

Awesome :)

• Frank
    January 18, 2014 at 6:08 am |

Hi!
    Can someone please help me with finding the ports tree for PCBSD maintained FreeBSD-10 package repository http://​pkg​.cdn​.pcbsd​.org/​10​-​S​T​A​B​LE/
    The binary packages for MATE, GNOME3 etc. are a great gift and I am curious :)
    Thanks a lot!

• Ramkumar
    January 18, 2014 at 7:12 pm |

is the bug fixed for broadcom wireless in this version??

• Josh Smith
      January 22, 2014 at 4:53 am |

There were a lot of compatibility issues reported middle of last year with broadcom products in FreeBSD, but this should be resolved now for most systems. I’d encourage you to do an install with PC-BSD 10.0 and see if your problems still persist.

• hsw
    January 18, 2014 at 11:00 pm |

Some quick timing tests on a Compaq 6515b

For release-p3:

bios boot menu to grub: 9 sec
    timer expires to first kernel message: 46 sec
    (this is the time that the black rectangle that cover the centre section persists)
    starting X message to install dialog: 58 sec

For text install:

bios boot menu to grub: 4 sec
    booting graphic install to 1st kernel message:46 sec
    starting X to install dialog: 59 sec

It seems like the text boot shortens the start of grub by a few seconds.

In each case I aborted the installation and retried.

The initial boot and the X->install were consistant but the starting kernel time drops from 46 sec to around 7 sec. Each time after a power off I get 46 sec and it is 7 sec on subsequent reboots. It seems like one or more devices take more time from power off state.

Of the 59 seconds from the X start to the install dialog to appearing, around 41 sec is the time to detect the disk drives. (now the timeout for this has been increased I can successfully run the graphic installation)

• Josh Smith
      January 22, 2014 at 4:57 am |

That’s probably about right on boot times for older systems. PC-BSD using cutting edge technologies that are resource heavy, but deliver an awesome computing experience. Grub itself runs plenty of diagnostics and memory tests that will also slow down your boot time a little. For the best possible experience make sure your system meets the minimum requirements for PC-BSD 10.0.

• Serge
    January 19, 2014 at 10:07 am |

hey there,

just want to let you know about yet another success installation. There was a problem with my videocard, I don’t get it, but it doesn’t work until I edited xorg.conf by hand and added “driver intel” into it. Options to driver was incorrect, I guess.

But I still doesnt understand the pathnames policy, this /usr/pbi thing, applied to development process.

And what the difference below, between ‘notify me … by e-mail’ vs. ‘notify me… via e-mail’ ?=)

• kclark
    January 20, 2014 at 11:39 am |

fwiw I had very slow boot up times in 9.2 as well. The fix for me was a BIOS update and it booted right up. Not sure if this will help for 10.0 or not but I thought it’d be worth mentioning.

• Josh Smith
      January 22, 2014 at 4:49 am |

Thanks for reporting this. It’s good to know in some instances a BIOS upgrade can help. Could you tell me what motherboard you are using? I’d like to look up the BIOS type for the sake of documentation and research.

• kclark
        January 22, 2014 at 8:16 pm |

I’m using asrock 970 extreme3. I have a thread on the forums about this if you want the link. At first I thought it was either a memory leak or my dual channel RAM being placed into single channel mode. Long story short after I added another matching stick and it was placed into dual channel I was still having the same problems. I also did a memtest and everything came back fine.

• John
    January 21, 2014 at 11:07 pm |

One problem I had with release p4 was that when I did the install of hplip during the install it recognized my printer but would not send a test page to the printer. This is not a problem with Linux installs I have done.

• Josh Smith
      January 22, 2014 at 4:48 am |

Thanks for reporting this. I also found this was the case when working with another user last week to resolve his problem. One thing you can try if you installed through the printer / control panel options is using the HPLIP icon in the bottom right and installing via that GUI. There is a known issue with PC-BSD not populating the HPLIP options in the control panel utility which is leading to some issues. We are actively working on resolving any issues with HPLIP.

• John
        January 22, 2014 at 3:40 pm |

Thanks for the information. I did this during the install as I did the custom install and selected hplip at that time. I know you can do the same thing after install as well as it gives you the same options their as well. I appreciate that this is being worked on though.

• John
    January 21, 2014 at 11:10 pm |

I meant to say RC4 and not p4.

• Ukraine's riot
    January 23, 2014 at 3:21 am |

1. how can I compile an erlang NIF if erlang was installed in /usr/pbi with its /include subdir? Why there is no symlink there from /usr/include, for example?

2. how am I suppose to use zsh if it is not listed in /etc/shells, should I change /etc/shells file by hand?

3. Using linux I have about 3 hours in average to work on battery on my laptop. After I installed pcbsd the same laptop gives me less than 1 hour, about 45 minutes in average. How can I fix this issue?

• January 23, 2014 at 10:35 am |

1. There should be arguments to compile erlang with extra include directories. For C its like “gcc –I/usr/pbi/erlang/include” (or something). Those options would have to be provided to erlang not just for pbi but any normal development where a library is installed in a non-system directory.

Why is there no symlink. Because it would interfere with the Non-PBI erlang if you were to install it.

2. To change shells i find this works for instance:

chsh –s /usr/local/bin/bash

3. I don’t know how to address this. Make sure you have similar power settings, maybe google around for cpu throttling options. I’ve not personally experience this so I don’t have any other input.