Mar

PC-BSD Weekly Feature Digest 20

New Sound Management

Work has began to fully port pulse audio into PC-BSD for 10.1, and we are quite pleased so far with the results.   Kris has been making headway this week getting pulse audio and it’s related utilities working.  In the meantime Ken has been working on an all new utility pc-mixer.  pc-mixer is a complete front-end to the FreeBSD “mixer” utility that will allow users a simple to use GUI and volume control for every day tasks.  There will also be an advanced tab allowing for more specific audio setups and control.

Other News

*New PBIs for 9.x versions and 10.x versions were released this week, so be sure to check out the AppCafe and see what’s new.

*Gnome 3 and Cinnamon 2.0 desktops have received updates this week.  These desktops are not 100% fully supported yet and as    such we can not make any guarantee on functionality.

*Grub 2.02 has been fully ported over and updated to GRUB 2.02-prerelease.

*Lastly The PC-BSD ports tree has been frozen in preparation for our quarterly package update.

Improvements for Life-Preserver
* Add new “Classic” backup dialog for custom exclusions and status updates
* Fix bug with restoring a file/dir into a missing directory on the main system.
* Clean up the restore tab

Bug Fixes
* Bugfixes to the FUSE “pbifs” file-system
* Fix bug showing HPLIP drivers in the main CUPS Manager.
* Fix seg-fault crash in EasyPBI when removing a non-selected item.

Written by Josh Smith. Posted in 10.0, 9.2, misc, new features, pbis, testers

March 7, 2014 at 5:20 pm |

Pulse audio and pc-mixer = freaking awesome!!! :) And more goodies, Yay! :)

Thanks a lot everyone as always! :) Any estimate as to when 10.1 will come out for testing?

• nemysis
    March 8, 2014 at 3:49 am |

I not love pulse audio use only OSS. Great news for pc-mixer :)

• Ken Moore
      March 8, 2014 at 5:58 am |

nemysis » We are mainly trying to make sure that pulse-audio is preconfigured for the linux apps that do not use OSS (like Firefox/Chromium), not the default for the everything on the system. pc-mixer is going to be the “master” control method, and pulseaudio will be for more fine-grained audio changes on a per-app or per-device basis (if the app supports it of course).

So many of the Linux apps are moving from ALSA to PulseAudio, that we figured it it better to have it supported than not. In our testing we also started building a number of the browsers with PulseAudio instead of ALSA because it allows all sorts of new features like webRTC streaming audio/video support for live conference calls and such.

March 11, 2014 at 10:48 pm |

Cool, thanks a lot Ken. :)

• John
    March 9, 2014 at 5:32 am |

I hope that the hplip fix will allow those that had problems printing to be able to print. This is one reason why I have not installed it again.

• John
    March 12, 2014 at 7:20 pm |

I see that this shows updates for Gnome. What about those that use KDE. It seems like on the 2/18/14 that KDE was updated to 4.12.2 on freshports but do not see this update in PCBSD 10. I did see a new pkg but this was not it as doing an update like this would take quite some time. Any idea when things like this would get updated.

• EternalMana
    March 14, 2014 at 1:48 pm |

Hi really hope that PulseAudio become more stable because right now at least for me it fails to start for a while after I connect to my session… Then I have to go in the pulseaudio volume panel untill it starts the daemon which is annoying, also I hope there (is/will be) a way to controle de volume and default sound card from the terminal (I really love my terminal)

• […] PCBSD weekly digest […]