Mar

PC-BSD Weekly Feature Digest 21 — PCBSD 10.0.1 Released!

PC-BSD 10.0.1 Has been released! Check out the release notes from Kris below. Kris is currently out in the field attending AsiaBSDCon so make sure to stop by the FreeBSD booth if you’re in the area and show your support! Work has continued this week on the development of the new PC-BSD mixer although our primary goal this week was to get a bunch of trac tickets fixed, closed, or assigned to someone to take care of them. Thanks as always and enjoy the new updates!

- Josh

———————————————

The first PC-BSD 10.0 quarterly update is upon us, and 10.0.1 is now
available.

This update includes a number of important bugfixes, as well as newer
packages and desktops, such as KDE 4.12.2, Cinnamon 2.0 and more. For
more details and updating instructions, refer to the notes below.

Changes
———————————————

* KDE 4.12.2
* Cinnamon 2.0
* Samba 4.1.4
* Stability improvements to PBI subsystems
* Updated GRUB loader, fixing issues related to slow / hanging startup
* Updated AppCafe UI
* Updates to Life-Preserver, including “Classic” backup mode and
automatic snapshots
* Updated control panel with desktop settings buttons
* PulseAudio 5.0 integration
* Improved Video display auto-detection
* Bugfixes to mouse auto-detection
* Improved LDAP / AD support for login manager
* Misc other bugfixes

Updating
———————————————

Desktop users already running 10.0 can update via Control Panel ->
Package Manager -> Updates.
Server users can update via the “pc-updatemanager” utility.

If package updating fails due to conflict errors, please be sure to
apply all system updates first before trying again.

Installing
———————————————

10.0.1 DVD/USB media can be downloaded from the following URL:

Reporting Bugs
———————————————

Found a bug in 10.0.1? Please report it (in as much detail as possible)
to our Trac Database.

Written by Josh Smith. Posted in 10.0, 9.2, misc, new features, pbis, pkgng, testers

March 14, 2014 at 4:15 pm |

Thanks everyone! :)

• John
    March 14, 2014 at 5:08 pm |

Updates fail. It shows that I have 351 package updates which I do and then it fails. I do not know exactly where it fails but this is even after the package fix was issued. I do not sit by and watch all the updates so not sure which one is failing but after the fail it shows 351 package updates again.

• John
      March 14, 2014 at 6:23 pm |

I get the below error message when I try and do the 351 package updates.

pkg-static: qjson-0.8.1 failed checksum from repository
      Extracting desktop overlay data…DONE
      Failed updating…

• Marco
      March 16, 2014 at 10:57 am |

I updated from a fresh installed PCBSD10-RELEASE Joule p5 to downgraded p4 then the pkg update patch then the big patch with KDE.
      I have 50Mbit with a download of 4-6Mbit/s stable cable dsl, something breaked or was not avaiable, and my Kate or Kwrite dose not work to modify importlist.pbilist for automatic downloding.

So KDE is sort of broken for me, have to live with that until i download the DVD ISO for the next big release …

• Bob Stump
    March 14, 2014 at 5:37 pm |

Not sure how related this is, but
    using PC-BSD Update Manager today, while trying to update the packages, I got:

pkg-static: espeak-1.47.11 failed checksum from repository
    Extracting desktop overlay data…DONE
    Failed updating…

Checksum Failure? I got this multiple times, even hours apart. Is this real?

FreeBSD frodo​.stumpweb​.com 10.0-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p4 #0: Tue Jan 14 20:48:07 UTC 2014 root@amd64-builder.pcbsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

• March 15, 2014 at 3:48 am |

[…] This update includes a number of important bugfixes, as well as newer packages and desktops, such as KDE 4.12.2, Cinnamon 2.0 and more. For more details and updating instructions, refer to the PC-BSD 10.0.1 release notes. […]

• March 15, 2014 at 4:16 am |

For your iso images, can you please make some sort of delta patch to apply to a previously downloaded image? You are the only project that gives a single cdn download link without any control over which mirror or source url is used and is so far the worst part about PC-BSD.
    The single source of truth approach is tedious for many (like me) with low bandwidth. An official .torrent would do wonders for verifiability since your cdn seems to have frequent errors during download of such a long download over connections which fade in & out. I don’t think an official .torrent is too much to ask is it?

• Mike
    March 15, 2014 at 4:29 am |

When I update my system to the lastest (this) status, why does the “about” gui state v10.0.1, package set: Production but still the Basis is FreeBSD 10.0-Release-p4?

I’m asking about the “p4”. Shouldn’t the “p-number” be higher by now?

• Josh Smith
      March 17, 2014 at 6:52 am |

We’ll need to look into this. Thanks for letting us know.

• Jesse
    March 15, 2014 at 8:10 am |

I followed the download link and the only ISO I can find is over a month old. The download link brings me to this folder: http://​iso​.cdn​.pcbsd​.org/​10​.​0​-​R​E​L​E​A​S​E​/​a​m​d​64/ which contains ISOs from mid-February. There does not appear to be any available 10.0.1 release to download.

Do I need to download 10.0 and then upgrade to 10.0.1 or is there any ISO somewhere to jump directly to the latest release?

• Mike
      March 15, 2014 at 12:16 pm |

I see only files from March 14th in the folder of the link you posted.

There are basically only different 3 files, but they are posted 3 times with different naming syntax. The files are the iso itself and two hash files.

The most informatively named iso file is “PCBSD10.0.1-RELEASE-0313-2014-x64-DVD-USB”. That name should indicate that it’s exactely the version you are looking for. Buat assaid above, the other two iso files are exactly the same just named differently.

And those files were already there for me to download when I posted my earlier comment. Any proxies between you and that server?

• Jesse
        March 15, 2014 at 12:37 pm |

In the folder I linked to there are only files from February 11th. Here is an exact directory listing fro that folder as seen from my machine.

dist/ 11-Feb-2014 15:37 -
        PCBSD10.0-RELEASE-p5-0211-2014-x64-DVD-USB.iso 11-Feb-2014 15:35 3841329152
        PCBSD10.0-RELEASE-p5-0211-2014-x64-DVD-USB.iso..> 11-Feb-2014 15:36 33
        PCBSD10.0-RELEASE-p5-0211-2014-x64-DVD-USB.iso..> 11-Feb-2014 15:37 65
        PCBSD10.0-RELEASE-x64-DVD-USB-latest.iso 11-Feb-2014 15:35 3841329152
        PCBSD10.0-RELEASE-x64-DVD-USB-latest.iso.md5 11-Feb-2014 15:36 33
        PCBSD10.0-RELEASE-x64-DVD-USB-latest.iso.sha256 11-Feb-2014 15:37 65
        latest.iso 11-Feb-2014 15:35 3841329152
        latest.iso.md5 11-Feb-2014 15:36 33
        latest.iso.sha256 11-Feb-2014 15:37 65

I refreshed my browser and the same contents still shows, all files are frm February 11th. Perhaps this mirror on the CDN is out of date?

• Marco
          March 16, 2014 at 10:48 am |

There was a testing iso the last time i looked for updates, it was before the weekend …
          12.03.2014 um 15:05 Uhr

• Mike
          March 16, 2014 at 11:07 pm |

And that’s what I saw and still see when I visit your link — which btw is the same server I use for iso downloads:

dist/ 11-Feb-2014 15:37 -
          PCBSD10.0-RELEASE-x64-DVD-USB-latest.iso 14-Mar-2014 06:51 3836069888
          PCBSD10.0-RELEASE-x64-DVD-USB-latest.iso.md5 14-Mar-2014 06:50 33
          PCBSD10.0-RELEASE-x64-DVD-USB-latest.iso.sha256 14-Mar-2014 06:50 65
          PCBSD10.0.1-RELEASE-0313-2014-x64-DVD-USB.iso 14-Mar-2014 06:51 3836069888
          PCBSD10.0.1-RELEASE-0313-2014-x64-DVD-USB.iso.md5 14-Mar-2014 06:50 33
          PCBSD10.0.1-RELEASE-0313-2014-x64-DVD-USB.iso…> 14-Mar-2014 06:50 65
          latest.iso 14-Mar-2014 06:51 3836069888
          latest.iso.md5 14-Mar-2014 06:50 33
          latest.iso.sha256 14-Mar-2014 06:50 65

• Josh Smith
            March 17, 2014 at 6:59 am |

All i’m seeing is February 11th on the CDN, but i know the new image has been uploaded. I’m guessing all the nodes haven’t synced up yet. We’ll keep an eye on it and run some diagnostics if it doesn’t finish syncing soon.

• Mike
              March 17, 2014 at 12:04 pm |

Maybe it’s the time zone difference between Europe and North America. Or you’re trapped in some weird time loop over there. :-)

Just Kidding.

• Marco
      March 16, 2014 at 10:50 am |

… there was a testing iso before …

• Claive Alvin P. Acedilla
    March 15, 2014 at 7:55 pm |

Updating to PCBSD 10.0.1 always encounter checksum errors and Failed updating…

My system is PC-BSD 10.0-Release-p4

• Josh Smith
      March 17, 2014 at 7:04 am |

Try updating again if you don’t mind. It seems like their may have been an issue with the initial update. If it still fails please open a trac ticket for us. We put in a new major update for the way PC-BSD handles updates, and there may still be some rough edges.

• q/pa
        March 19, 2014 at 2:23 am |

Same problem here. I checked with 3 different installations in VirtualBox. Always a lot of checksum errors. Also failed updating. Second try “works”, but I still see 10.0-Release-p4 and KDE is updated only from 4.10 to 4.11 (should be 4.12). Cinnamon is not updated at all. I tried again yesterday but it is still the same.

• […] The official release announcement and the download of PC-BSD 10.0.1 are available here. […]

• […] of the project’s desktop operating system based on FreeBSD 10.0, has been released. From the announcement: “The first PC-BSD 10.0 quarterly update is upon us, and 10.0.1 is now available. This update […]

• March 16, 2014 at 8:30 am |

[…] 更多更新可参考版本公告 […]

• […] Представлено первое обновление десктоп-ориентированной ОС PC-BSD 10.0, основанной на кодовой базе FreeBSD 10. Для загрузки подготовлен гибридный iso-образ (только для amd64), подходящий для использования на DVD и USB-накопителях. Выпуск примечателен поставкой новых версий десктоп-окружений KDE 4.12.2 и Cinnamon 2.0, а также интеграцией поддержки звукового сервера PulseAudio 5.0. […]

• March 18, 2014 at 10:10 am |

Hi kris,
    I hope you are fine. I want to switch from ubuntu to pc-bsd the only things thats not letting me switch is nvidia optimus, can not turn it off from bios dell n5110 ( no option to switch off ). Is there any suggestion what shall i do …cant wait any more

• hafidz
    March 18, 2014 at 11:34 am |

Hi Josh, thank for the updates. I read somewhere here before on how to check for the proper freeBSD base version using command other than “uname –a”.

Is it “freebsd version” ? .. its something like that, but for now I got command not found.

This should give the right FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-(p4/p5) output.

Do I make any sense here ?

• Rob
    March 18, 2014 at 8:35 pm |

Just a suggestion for the update. Checksum errors are because of failed .iso downloads (http). Perhaps an ftp site where current .iso’s can be downloaded from, simply because you can perform a reget to restart a partial download. The http download does not seem to be as reliable. Just saying …

• David
    March 20, 2014 at 12:11 pm |

Hello,
    I have tried to install both versions, 10.0 and 10.0.1, on a new laptop with no previous operating system and with the bios set to legacy boot, as it was by default. The laptop is an Acer Travelmate P253-E-20204G50Maks model NX.V7XEB.010. I have not succeded.

The latest iso (correctly downloaded as indicated by checksum) and booting from a usb stick created with Suse Imagewriter was unable to start due a grub error or so it said. Then I burned it on a dvd and when it booted the grub menu appeared but that was all, the laptop automatically shuted down and started again and then again… And that’s all from 10.0.1.

10.0 iso booted correctly from the usb stick and it got to the installation screen. On the hardware compatibility menu everything was marked ok green. Wifi model is AR9462. Before proceeding I tried to connect to my domestic wifi and I couldn’t because it seemed not to be able to list any wifi available. So, with doubts, I decided to go on and perform a default installation as PC-BSD as the only system. It went ok and it asked to reboot. Without the usb stick the system booted itself but not very far… It did not prompt for the configuration of the user account, it stopped endlessly on something related to the wifi chip, I didn’t write it down, sorry. It seemed to have stuck at figuring out a user to the network connection… And that’s all from 10.0.

What I do not understand is that the wifi chip, detected or not, apparently prevents the system from booting correctly to a graphical login screen. Is it the problem?

I’d really like to use PC-BSD on this laptop. Now the laptop is running Scientific Linux instead. It’s very difficult to find a compatible one and I did know from the display unit on a shop that it had the initial compatibility test ok, but when I have really tried the installation it has not been possible. The only working PC-BSD I have is on a netbook that is running 9.1, but as a netbook it must be 32 bits and it’s like it is not supported anymore, as it’s not getting any update since july aproximately.

Thanks for your attention and greetings from Barcelona.