May

Weekly Feature Digest 28 — Photos of the new AppCafe re-design.

Hey everyone just a quick update tonight as much of the work has been the same as last week :).   I’ve uploaded a couple of pics to show how the new AppCafe integration with pkgng will look.  In the first picture below you’ll see a similar looking app information screen with some sweet new features.  The biggest thing you might notice right away is the 5 star rating system in the top left corner under “Firefox”.  In the new AppCafe clicking the stars will immediately pop-up the app’s wiki page allowing you to rate the program.  We are also looking into the ability to add comments as well that will also populate into AppCafe.  Also many programs (especially GUI based applications) will have screenshots in AppCafe to allow you to check them out before you download them to your system.

Notice below right this is the main “installed applications” screen.  Here you’ll be able to view all of your installed apps and also filter them based on a few presets built into AppCafe.   Similar to the package manager, the new AppCafe will pull more information from the package repository about installed packages for you to review.

Important Correction:  I realized after talking with Kris and Ken that I was slightly confused over the new role of pkgng and how it will affect PC-BSD going forward.  pkgng is replacing the PBI system in future versions of PC-BSD and AppCafe.  PBI’s will be immediately  & automatically converted over to use pkgng instead once users update to the next big PC-BSD release.  If you have any further questions we will be glad to answer them for you, and I aplogize for the information discrepancy!

appcafe1       appcafe2

Written by Josh Smith. Posted in Uncategorized

May 9, 2014 at 4:11 pm |

Sweet! Great improvements, Thanks! :)

• LGE
    May 10, 2014 at 3:08 am |

I think this is a mess. I don’t want to see 1000 packages with weird names mixed with the odd ~20 PBIs I’m interested in.

Just my opinion, though.

• segfault
      May 14, 2014 at 6:32 am |

I disagree with this view as I do not want to search for and install each application one at a time. this way I can just scroll down quickly selecting the ones I need.

Keep up the great work!

May 10, 2014 at 8:27 am |

Well, think of it this way LGE:
    If you are only intersted in 20 PBI’s, then once you find them & get them, you’ll never have to go in there again. Plus, it should only take you a minute or so to scroll down the list alphabetically to find & install them. :)

For those who enjoy trying new programs, this will be even more awesome for us though! :)

• Carl Angen
    May 10, 2014 at 11:52 am |

I see some similarities with Muon package manager, but this is not a bad thing. This is great, in my opinion.

Keep the good work, guys!

• May 11, 2014 at 10:18 am |

Sweet!

• Ragansi
    May 12, 2014 at 7:11 am |

It’s not immediately clear how the packages will be co-mingled in the picture. Will the new AppCafe have a separate tab for pkgng packages, or will the packages be in the same menu as the PBI’s?

Not saying I really prefer one or the other, just curious about the new layout.

P.S. I’m not running PC-BSD 10.0.1 on my work Laptop, as well as my personal work station. Overall I have to say I’ve had pretty good experience. With one glaring exception: DTrace.

Anyway, thanks for the great platform guys, keep up the good work.

• Josh Smith
      May 14, 2014 at 10:33 am |

Hey Ragansi. Check out the new information I added to the post. It should clear this up :).

• Ragansi
        May 14, 2014 at 10:36 am |

Wow! That is a major change indeed. Thanks for getting the clarification Josh.

May 14, 2014 at 11:14 am |

Cool, Thanks for the updated new info Josh. :)

• Gustavo
    May 13, 2014 at 9:24 pm |

Great work guys!

• LGE
    May 14, 2014 at 1:03 pm |

Oh dear God. I knew it … too many broken PBIs on the forums, no updates … PBI is dead.

Will you be sharing the recipes you use to build the current PBIs for PC-BSD 9 and 10? Maybe the community can fix those at least.

• Seth
    May 14, 2014 at 1:20 pm |

IIRC, the last blog post said that pkgng and PBI would co-exist side by side and now a week later it appears that PBI is going to be retired? Curious to know what changed in the interim.

• May 14, 2014 at 2:12 pm |

Hey Seth,

Nothing changed per say. It was more of a misunderstanding on my part that led to the misinformation. Sorry about that guys!