Jun

PC-BSD 10.0.2 Released!

The PC-BSD team is pleased to announce the availability of the next PC-BSD quarterly update, version 10.0.2!

This update includes a number of important bug fixes as well as newer packages and desktops, such as KDE 4.12.5, Cinnamon 2.2.13, Gnome 3.12.2, and more. This release also includes an alpha release of the new Lumina desktop which is being developed on PC-BSD. For more details and updating instructions, refer to the notes below.

Notable Changes:

• KDE 4.12.5
  • Cinnamon 2.2.13
  • Gnome 3.12.2
  • Alpha release of Lumina desktop
  • Revamped AppCafe and PBI subsystems, integrated fully with FreeBSD’s PKGNG
  • AppCafe support for application screenshots, 5-Star rating system and comments integrated with our Wiki
  • Unified various UI elements and keyboard shortcuts
  • Integrated package cleanup functionality into AppCafe / PBI system
  • Updated Control Panel UI with additional view options and asynchronous item reading
  • Improved UI notification between applications and tray notification systems
  • Added PulseAudio as default audio backend for all packages which can support it
  • Added full-disk encryption options with GELI, which does *not* require a separate un-encrypted /boot partition
  • Support for automatic boot-environment creation before doing any upgrades or updates to the system or packages
  • Boot-environment support for full-disk encrypted installations
  • Added support for adding snapshot “Comments”
  • Options to set L2Arc / ZIL devices during installation
  • Many other bugfixes and improvements to Life-Preserver, Warden and more

A more detailed list of changes can be found in What’s New in 10.0.2.

Updating:

Desktop users already running 10.0 can update via Control Panel -> Package Manager -> Updates. Server users can update via the “pc-updatemanager” command-line utility.

If package updating fails due to conflict errors, please be sure to apply all system updates first before trying again.

After updating and rebooting, please run the AppCafe once to begin the conversion process from the old style PBIs to 10.0.2 packages.

Installing:

10.0.2 DVD/USB media can be downloaded from here.

Reporting Bugs:

Found a bug in 10.0.2? Please report it (in as much detail as possible) to our Trac Database.

Written by dru. Posted in 10.0

• Robert
    June 24, 2014 at 6:37 am |

Thanks for the great work. PC-BSD Just keeps getting better and better.

June 24, 2014 at 8:39 am |

Ditto what Robert said. :) Thanks everyone! :)

• Buba
    June 24, 2014 at 10:49 am |

I attempted to update my system but it warned about conflicts for several packages, one of them being grub2-2.02.. automatically removing the bootloader was a scary thought, so, I aborted the update and rolled back to a previous boot environment.

It seems there’s always these scary upgrading problems with PC-BSD, this is an important system (Mom’s) so I didn’t want to risk proceeding.

No log from all this, but, here’s the pkg info from the backup boot environment:

I guess I’ll backup her zfs home directory and do a clean install?

• June 24, 2014 at 12:42 pm |

If you are worried, create a boot-environment first. With this upgrade sysutils/grub2 will be replaced with sysutils/grub2-pcbsd (our updated version). I’ve done several systems here and so far no issues, since it removes the old grub and then installs the new one. It does *not* re-stamp GRUB on your MBR/GPT, so even if the new package fails to install the old boot-environment should still be good.

• Buba
        June 24, 2014 at 1:12 pm |

Appreciate the reassuring message, so it’s normal for the upgrade to prompt “Yes/No” with a message indicating it will automatically remove grub and a few other packages due to conflicts?

It wasn’t obvious that there wasn’t going to be a some post-install dance with grub2, I only aborted the install because of it.

I’ll give it a try again tomorrow,
        Thanks again Kris!

• […] с планом ежеквартальных выпусков стабильной ветки вышла новая версия операционной системы PC-BSD 10.0.2, основанной на кодовой […]

• goetz
    June 24, 2014 at 12:50 pm |

Great that you added full disk encrypted with GELI/GRUB.
    Too bad, it’s only offered in the graphical installer. I just did 2 installations because I did not find it in the text installer :-(
    And all that just to figure out wether you’ve added GELIv7 support to GRUB.
    … And it is GELIv5.
    Still *GREAT* work!

• June 24, 2014 at 6:45 pm |

I use PCBSD at work.. i love the idea of bringing PCBSD to the masses… I just wish there was more support for my lenovo w530 at present. I will continue to upload crash logs and stuff.

• Alex
    June 24, 2014 at 10:12 pm |

Thanks for adding full-disk encryption to the installer and making it easy for those who aren’t as familiar with BSD-based systems.

I will be installing this on some of my machines to try out properly.

• June 24, 2014 at 10:48 pm |

> Added PulseAudio as default audio backend …
    Why use this shit while we have such great OSS in the kernel?

• Ken Moore
      June 25, 2014 at 4:21 am |

vermaden » We had to start including pulse audio since so many of the 3rd party applications are starting to expect/require it. Please note that OSS *is* still available and used on PC-BSD systems for applications that recognize it as an option, we simply have both options available now so that sound support for 3rd party applications should “just work” now.

• TeVRaW
    June 25, 2014 at 12:23 am |

I cannot even remember how many times I had requested for full disk encryption in the comments of past releases. It used to be there in 1.5 or 1.6 I remember.

Not to poison the Well, but only a NSA sponsored OS would remove a security feature. Thanks for adding full disk encryption back but it sucks to see so many years pass by without that.
    Even FreeBSD OS itself has been offering this almost since a year in the installation UI itself.

Trac is a good place to request features but people comment here too! That’s what this space is for. So PCBSD makers back please do read and consider this section too.

Hope many of those who abandoned PCBSD for Linux and other options will return.

• Ken Moore
      June 25, 2014 at 4:17 am |

TeVRaW » Previously, GELI was available on PC-BSD to provide full-disk encryption the same way everyone else does with (with an unencrypted boot partition where the kernel lives). When we moved to ZFS with boot environment support some major technical limitations cropped up regarding the separation of that boot partition from the rest of the system — not allowing boot environments (which is why we switched to PEFS exclusively for that time period). After working on it for quite some time, we are finally able to allow *truly* full disk encryption with GELI — it no longer has any unencrypted boot partitions (which can allow the kernel to be easily compromised), and it still has full boot environment support (which we think might be a world-exclusive among operating systems)!

• IstT8liHW
    June 25, 2014 at 2:12 pm |

Thank you so much!!
    I always was fascinated with PC-BSD, but it often froze in previous versions.…Firefox took forever to lift itself up to be ready to go online, etc…wow! now:“bamm” it is here and ready to go. A lot of improvements overall! Keep on the good work! Hope I get this time the printer working.
    I still have one wish: to be able to connect via Network Manager to the internet off and on as needed without having to set it up with endless passwords over again: is that even possible with BSD?
    (I like to work offline a lot — in all other OSs it is possible)
    I think PC-BSD is great! Love to use it!

• […] PC-BSD 10.0.2 Released! […]

• […] Moore ogłosił wydanie PC-BSD 10.0.2. Dodano KDE SC 4.12.5, Cinnamon 2.2.13, GNOME 3.12.2, Limuna Alpha. Zintegrowano podsystemy AppCafe […]

• bezerk
    June 26, 2014 at 5:04 am |

The download is totally sub-glacial for me (in Sweden)! Maybe Kris could ask CDN if they are having problems for say the last 12 hours or so?

• Lopez
    June 26, 2014 at 11:56 am |

Grub still cannot be installed on slice. The system reports some error, but it does not save any report on USB-stick. I am looking forward to version that really suports GRUB-installation on slice.

• June 30, 2014 at 5:10 am |

Please create a bug report at trac​.pcbsd​.org and post the bug # here.

• S Joseph
    June 26, 2014 at 3:47 pm |

Did a virtualbox install with full disk encryption, noticed some strangeness straight away, sorry if I missed any documentation regarding this:

1. Two prompts for password, one before the grub menu and one during the boot up. The 2nd password prompt message during boot is jumbled up with other boot messages (mostly related to USB) which makes it hard to read unless you are aware of this (this is an old problem). Can we do away with the 2nd password prompt ?

2. After a fresh install cinnamon doesn’t start properly and prompts to go into fall-back mode but that doesn’t work. KDE works without issues.

3. After a system update the grub defaults to the pre-patch environment, I’d expect it to be the other way especially if there’s going to be lots of menu entries.

• June 27, 2014 at 10:23 am |

1. Sounds like you enabled GELI. We’re waiting for some GRUB changes so that you only need to do the first password.

2. Neither Cinnamon nor GNOME3 will work in virtualbox as they require hardware acceleration.

3. That might be a feature (in case there is a problem). If it doesn’t make sense to you, please create a report at trac​.pcbsd​.org and pos the issue number here.

• S Joseph
        June 27, 2014 at 12:05 pm |

Thanks for your response.
        1. Yes I enabled GELI. Good to know that GRUB changes in future will fix the two times password prompt issue. Great feature.

2. Cinnamom/Gnome works well in virtualbox with Linux. If there’s a workaround for PCBSD it’ll be good for users trying out these desktop environments. Also, considering VBOX is widely used, I think mentioning this issue with GNOME/Cinnamon in the release notes will be useful for a lot of people.

3. #1201

• Joe Maloney
          July 5, 2014 at 8:12 pm |

Gnome and Cinnamon work well for me in virtualbox as long as 3D acceleration has not been turned on for the virtual machine. It falls back to software mode which does work. Although it does work even better in Linux guests where 3D support works.

• June 27, 2014 at 6:10 am |

[…] La siguiente es una traducción del sitio: http://blog.pcbsd.org/2014/06/pc-bsd-100-2-released/ […]

• Lopez
    June 29, 2014 at 3:25 am |

GRUB cannot be installed on slice and record:
    menuentry ‘PC-BSD (on /dev/sdb1) (hd1,1)’{
    set root=’(hd1,1)‘
    chainloader +1
    }
    does not work any more. It seems that somebody did his best to make sure that PC-BSD cannot be started in multi-boot environment. It’s a pity!

• June 30, 2014 at 4:39 am |

Are you also loading the ZFS kernel module in the grub entry?

• NAME
    July 1, 2014 at 4:42 am |

where is firefox 30 for pcbsd?

• July 1, 2014 at 6:34 am |

In the Edge package set. If you’re on 10.0.2, you can select this pacage set in AppCafe -> Configure -> Repository Settings.

• Manuel
    July 5, 2014 at 3:25 pm |

Con mi gratitud, señores desarrolladores

He instalado PCBSD 10.0 en la segunda partición de mi disco duro, en una laptop Gateway ID59C, funciona casi todo…
    Sin embargo mi problema es el gasto muy rapido de la carga de la bateria

El otro problema es que no se detecta la tarjeta de WiFi que trae la laptop (No Wifi detecte).

Pregunto a ustedes es posible resolver ese problema

• July 6, 2014 at 5:16 am |

Regarding the wifi, does the card show at all in ifconfig? If not, what is the chipset for the NIC?

• July 5, 2014 at 10:52 pm |

This is great news! I’ll be giving a new install a spin soon! Thanks, for all of the effort guys!

• drgnu
    July 8, 2014 at 9:33 pm |

Graphic Installer yields an unbootable machine.
    I chose GPT partitioning and gave PC-BSD an entire 1 TB HDD t it seems to install. But after GRUB runs on the reboot I end up with:

mountroot error 2

and at the mountroot prompt when I type ? to see my available devices the HDD ada0 is not even seen.

Interestingly, this also happened when I subsequently tried freebsd 100-RELEASE. Can’t seem to get it to work and there is no help or documentation about this that current or old that works available on the forums, wiki or handbook.

Not ready for prime time yet… but I’ll hang in there and see if there’s some fix. Not sure why this community doesn’t value free/libre but emphasizes just open-source… seems we are all on the same page and everyones efforts would be best served with freedom and interoperability without these types of issues arising. If I throw in just about any GNU/Linux distro these days it will pragmatically “just work.” If the lxc implentation and kernel integration was as secure and developed as the bsdjails then I’d probably just go to a GNU/Linux and use ZFS with that solution.

Obviously a mountain of work has been done by all of the BSD teams. Everything I’ve seen looks great… would love to experience it on my machines. I’m impatiently awaiting the community forums for help that will educate me and get me up and running. ;-)

Have a great day!

• July 9, 2014 at 5:28 am |

Is this a UEFI BIOS?

Also, please save the config and include it in a bug report at trac​.pcbsd​.org. If you go through the installer again and repeat your selections to the last screen (before starting the actual install), there is a button to save the config to a USB stick. The devs will need that config to help troubleshoot the issue.

• Federico
    July 15, 2014 at 3:03 pm |

I appreciate all the hard work that you have been doing, but I’m disappointed by the inclusion of pulseaudio. I understand that some applications require it, but i believe it should be made optional.

I recall that one of the goals behind the development of Lumina was eliminating the linux dependency bloat. Not installing pulseaudio by default and making it optional would be a huge step in that direction.

Is there any piece of software that is installed by default in the system that requires pulseaudio? If so, can’t upstream be persuaded to suport OSS when available?

Greetings and keep up the hard work!

• just looking
    July 27, 2014 at 6:12 am |

WTF, why no IA/386 build ?

• Juergen
    July 27, 2014 at 11:30 am |

Hello,
    today I tried PCBSD. I got the same issues like in PCBSD 9.x:

During installation Xorg functioned very good but on the installed system it does not.

There is an endless loop on first TTY telling that it is detecting X setup and switches in the graphics mode and after a second back to TTY, and again, and again …
    This makes it unusable.
    Under FreeBSD installing and configurating XOrg is much easier then under PCBSD

• July 28, 2014 at 5:27 am |

Please create a ticket at trac​.pcbsd​.org that includes the installation log. To generate this log, start the installer, choose your options, and in the last screen before starting the install, click the “Save Config to USB” button.

• Juergen
        August 16, 2014 at 1:42 am |

The problem will not be solved because the ticket was closed. The problem with the endless loop while video mode detecting exists since PCBSD 9.0 and nothing happens.
        I have searched a little and found many users with the same problem and no solution of it.

I wanted to write an article about PCBSD 10.x in an german magazine for administrators but now it is impossible and I am not willing to buy a notebook with NVidia chipset.

• August 19, 2014 at 5:19 am |

What was the ticket number?

• wortp
    July 27, 2014 at 11:57 pm |

Hello such.
    Because PC-BSD is so heavy it requires 52 GB of hard disk for installation, the worst of it is only available for 64-bit architectures.

• July 28, 2014 at 5:28 am |

Just a clarification: PC-BSD itself will install in 20GB. The 50GB recommendation is to allow space for boot environments and local snapshots, both of which are very useful :-)

• ThankYou
    August 11, 2014 at 7:57 am |

First: Thank You!

Second: If I install with ZFS, GPT and Geli on one harddisk, everything is fine.

BUT if I intsall with ZFS, GPT and Geli on two harddisks (via ZFS MIRROR, ada0 and ada1) the installer fails since no ada1p3.eli exists (i think the installer does not create geli devices for the second harddrive…) :-(

• August 19, 2014 at 4:50 am |

Please create a bug report at https://​bugs​.pcbsd​.org/. Include the installation config file. You can create this by starting the installation again, making your selections, and in the last screen before starting the install, click the Save Config button.

• wortp
    August 11, 2014 at 4:39 pm |

Try to install pc-bsd 32bit virtualbox disk of 22 GB and I keep following the installation, asked 52 GB disk. In FreeBSD you can install such system with graphical environment for up to 12 GB disk, do not understand why PC-BSD requires 52 GB to install.

• August 11, 2014 at 4:49 pm |

PC-BSD itself will install in 20GB. The 50GB recommendation is to allow space for boot environments and local snapshots, both of which are very useful. Also, PC-BSD has not provided a 32-bit version for over a year.

• wortp
        August 12, 2014 at 6:47 am |

But I had a 64-bit PC, and I keep following the installation disk in 22 GB, 52 GB drive pedal, that means it is a very heavy system.

• Suvro
    August 28, 2014 at 4:47 pm |

Dru

A few things about my installation of PC-BSD

I did it by now a couple of months back, but it wasn’t all that smooth for a variety of reasons:

- Bypassing the UEFI BIOS — ultimately, I figured out the F12 and F2 and all that, but it wasn’t obvious that one has to do that. Also, the DVD went into a loop the first times UEFI was disabled, and it was only after changing a different startup setting that it went beyond a point

- The WiFi wasn’t recognized. (This is a standard Dell Inspiron 17 laptop, which comes w/ the integrated WiFi.) My way around it — routing an ethernet cable from my router to the laptop. Not major, except for the wire on the floor.

- While installing, it prompts one for a root password, but there is no way of logging into root. Instead, one has to go into one’s first account. Also, creating more users was by no means smooth, unless one already knows to go to the CLI and type adduser. In other words, it wouldn’t appear on the login manager w/o a lot of tinkering

One thing that was a disguised blessing — it not recognizing the touchpad. Only problem — I had to buy a mouse for the laptop to proceed further.

My box is NOW functional, but it was by no means smooth, which THIS version of BSD ought to be, at least

• August 29, 2014 at 6:24 am |

Thank you for your feedback.

Regarding root and user accounts: Root isn’t used so much now that we’ve switched to using sudo. The only time you would be prompted for the root password is when using the su command. Did Control Panel -> User Manager not work for making your extra users? You shouldn’t have to use useradd.

• Suvro
        August 29, 2014 at 4:37 pm |

It added the users, but not to the login manager — that’s where I had trouble.

Another thing — App Cafe seems to crash a lot — say I access one app, see it, navigate back up, and then when I try visiting another app, poof!!!

Known issue?

• September 2, 2014 at 6:30 am |

Nope, haven’t seen the login manager issue before. Can you create a ticket at https://​bugs​.pcbsd​.org/ and post the issue number here?

• Suvro