New Lumina source repo and FreeBSD port

By popular demand, the source tree for the Lumina project has just been moved to its own repository within the main PC-BSD project tree on GitHub.

In addition to this, an official FreeBSD port for Lumina was just committed to the FreeBSD ports tree which uses the new repo.

By the way, here is a quick usage summary for those that are interested in how “light” Lumina 0.6.2 is on PC-BSD 10.0.3:

System: Netbook with a single 1.6GHz atom processor and 2GB of memory (Fresh installation of PC-BSD 10.0.3 with Lumina 0.6.2)

Usage: ~0.2-0.4% CPU and ~120MB active memory use (no apps running except an xterm with “top” after a couple minutes for the PC-BSD tray applications to start up and settle down)

Written by Ken Moore. Posted in 10.0, Lumina, new features

September 4, 2014 at 11:00 am |

“Usage: ~0.2–0.4% CPU and ~120MB active memory”

That’s ‘feather’ light. 🙂

• […] развивался в рамках основного репозитория PC-BSD). В анонсе также приводится статистика о потреблении ресурсов в […]

• Rick Hanson
    September 4, 2014 at 5:13 pm |

Thanks, Ken. And congrats.

• Bernd
    September 5, 2014 at 2:45 am |

Thank you for lumina! I have installed it on FreeBSD. It is awesome. I like the user menu where you especially can define what your favourite applications, directories, files are and more quickly access them. To define what favourite applications one wants to access is quite easy. I have not yet found out how you do that with files and directories.
    A big compliment also to your desktop configuration tool, which is clear, efficient, and intuitive, and to your file manager Insight.

• Ken Moore
      September 5, 2014 at 5:25 am |

Bernd » I have not written up the ability to add “shortcuts” to files/directories in Insight yet, but basically it is just making symlinks or copying files to the ~/Desktop/ directory. I recommend symlinks instead of copying the file/dir because it truly is just a redirect to the file/dir on the system instead of having to worry about “which copy” you are looking at. That is the way the application shortcuts currently work, they are just symlinks to the *.desktop file on the system so that if the application startup routine changes when you update to a new version (for example) the shortcut will also continue to function properly.

• Bernd
        September 5, 2014 at 11:27 am |

Thank you very much. The user menu alone is worth gold in my opinion. I have documents which I often use (pdf-files) and directories I often use and of course applications which I often use. It is a great idea to have a ‘Favorites’ submenu. Thank you again for the project …

• Jeff
      September 7, 2014 at 6:56 pm |

I’d like to install this on a FreeBSD 10 system. I’ve used FreeBSD for a while now, but never tried to get a desktop environment running. Do you have a link to instructions?

• nonnim
    September 5, 2014 at 4:00 am |

# top -b -n 1 | grep -E “plasma-desktop|kdeinit” | awk ‘{print $6/1024}’

• Ken Moore
      September 5, 2014 at 5:28 am |

nonnim » As my old physics professor used to tell me: “Numbers without units are meaningless.” In this case, I think adding context to when you ran that command, what else was running on the system, and which values those numbers correspond to (with units) will be a lot more meaningful.

• nonnim
        September 5, 2014 at 10:19 am |

It’s just basic shell commands, isn’t it? Context and other running apps doesn’t matter, because grep is used. Units is a top’s kilobytes divided by 1024.

• Ken Moore
          September 5, 2014 at 11:09 am |

nonnim » It is not quite that simple. Yes they are basic shell commands, but they do not answer a few basic questions:
          Why did you only select those two pieces of KDE instead of everything (if the user even realized your numbers were for KDE)?
          What type of memory/cpu usage statistic is your number (active/total/other)?
          Is this for a PC-BSD system or something else (if so, which version)?
          Is it a stock setup or have things been enabled/disabled on this particular system?
          The primary question that these help answer is whether it is a valid comparison for the numbers previously posted (which is the total active memory/CPU on the system, not just for Lumina BTW).

• Hans
    September 5, 2014 at 11:25 am |

Hello Ken,

Lumina is that fast now, who needs a SSD disk now 🙂
    Keep up the good work. I will keep testing.
    This is a Unix desktop at it’ s best !!

Best regards,

• teachop
    September 5, 2014 at 3:17 pm |

Sorry this may be a thick question, can I pkg install the binary on FreeBSD 10 Release, as pkg search isn’t turning it up. Thanks.

• Ken Moore
      September 6, 2014 at 5:18 am |

teachop » It depends on which pkg repository you are using. The port was just committed to the official FreeBSD ports tree a couple days ago, and I do not know the frequency with which the FreeBSD pkg repository gets updated (I seem to remember somebody mentioning weekly?). If you point to the PC-BSD package repositories, you should be able to just pkg install it from our “production” repository after 10.0.3 is released early next week.
      While the Lumina port has no explicit dependencies on any of the PC-BSD tools, using the PC-BSD tools on FreeBSD is highly recommended and might show/enable a few more buttons and shortcuts in the interface (such as linking to the pc-mixer utility for a graphical audio mixer, shortcuts for the AppCafe and Control Panel, etc..)

• Ben
    September 6, 2014 at 9:29 pm |

I have a quick question. For those of us who do not use a log in manager (on vanilla FreeBSD), is it still necessary to use xinit to start Lumina or can it now be done by editing our .xinitrc (i.e. echo ‘exec startlumina’ > .xinitrc) or something like that?

• Ken Moore
      September 8, 2014 at 5:13 am |

Ben » As long as the “Lumina-DE” binary is run within an X session is all that matters. It really does not care if it is started through xinit directly or through one of the xinit startup scripts. Just make sure that you are not starting other “competing” X services (such as fluxbox or another DE) at the same time as Lumina.

• Ben
        September 9, 2014 at 1:13 am |

Thanks for clarifying that and thanks for developing this DE. It really is great to have a lightweight, Qt DE native to FreeBSD. I’ve already switched to using it full time and just wanted to mention that it works fine with DEVD as opposed to HAL (I saw that asked in the forum).

Anyway, I would like to make one small suggestion for future development. A native, lightweight Qt System Monitor (as opposed to using KSysGuard which pulls in a lot of KDE with it) would be handy and very much appreciated. Insight is already a great file manager, so KSysGuard is the only K-App I found myself still needing to use.

• Wayland?
    September 7, 2014 at 4:59 am |

Hi Moore,
    Any expectation for port it on Wayland? I don’t like the redhat influence on it, but if the pc-bsd have the goal ‘pc’ maybe will be good think on it for the future [wayland is much more responsive/low-latency]. Anyway, X seems to be some issues with security, far as i know…

• Ken Moore
      September 8, 2014 at 5:15 am |

Wayland? » I have no information on the possibility of Wayland availability on FreeBSD. *If* wayland does become available on FreeBSD, then I will look into providing support for it at that time (I specifically tried to keep all the X usage in a separate/distinct class for this very reason).

• Petz
        November 13, 2014 at 9:41 pm |

Hey Guys,

Not sure if you saw this as it’s not exactly posted in many places. But according to this article(below), more dependencies for Wayland/Weston have come out. Sounds like a decent journey ahead still though.

• hsw
    September 9, 2014 at 10:48 pm |

Hello Ken, Thanks for Lumina.

I have Tried it for three days, as replacement for XFCE that I currently use. The only problem I found was that often new windows would be placed at the top of the screen so that their title bar was under the taskbar.

The things I missed from XFCE: configure clock with date/24H time and screen lock keyboard shortcut. It was nice not to have to configure much, just setting default terminal program, clicking a few stars in the menu and be up and running.

• Ken Moore
      September 10, 2014 at 6:04 am |

hsw » Yes, that is a problem with Fluxbox not properly respecting the screen reservation flags (it works sometimes, and is better on single-screen systems than multi-screen for example). A lot of the remaining “problems” that I am running into are generally Fluxbox issues, so if I don’t see any progress with the Fluxbox developer(s) fixing the issues I report I might need to take a look at forking it so that we can actually fix it ourselves (although I would prefer not to have to do that).
      Other than that, I have it on my schedule to re-write the clock plugin (that was/is my panel “testing” plugin – so it is really simple at the moment). I also have it on my list to be able to setup shortcuts to launch generic applications (such as the xscreensaver “lock screen” utility).

• hsw
        September 14, 2014 at 9:46 pm |

Thanks for the info. After the BSD Now episode I did switch to Lumina for my main machine and have used it since then. So far it is working nicely and I am looking forward to the changes you mentioned.

• Taz
        September 30, 2014 at 11:19 am |

Is a new WM for Lumina with a simple yet readable configuration style, JSON for example, a possibility?

Fluxbox has a simple and readable configuration style but it’s non standard and Openbox has XML which is standard but it’s an overkill and also not very readable.

• Ken Moore
          October 1, 2014 at 6:08 am |

Taz » As long as the WM works properly, does not intrude on the functionality of Lumina (by trying to be a DE itself), and is not GPL’ed is what matters to me. It is just a major bonus if the WM uses text-based configuration files because that makes it easy for lumina-config to be able to make/save changes. The exact format of those text-based configuration files is completely irrelevant since I have to write a custom parser for it anyway.
          If you put together a WM that satisfies these conditions and want to see it as the WM for Lumina, just shoot me an email with info about how to fetch/build your WM and I will evaluate it and get back to you.

• hsw
    September 11, 2014 at 8:13 pm |

Just watched BSD Now 054: Luminary Environment; excellent demo, I really like the file manager demo at the end.

• グレェ
    September 13, 2014 at 4:48 pm |

I installed Lumina through App Cafe (running PCBSD 10.0.3, selecting the Edge repository), and it is running well, but in Desktop Configuration, the Screen Resolution is set to: 800×600.

I attempted to change this through the Control Panel -> Hardware -> Display which prompts to run the Display Wizard on next boot; as well as selecting that option in the grub option, adjusted and tested the resolution fine, but when I login, still 800×600.

Not quite sure what I am doing wrong, may switch back to KDE in the interim, but other suggestions of where to look are appreciated!

• Ken Moore
      September 14, 2014 at 6:19 am |

グレェ » Lumina only reads/reports the screen resolution: it does not set or change it.
      To change the resolution you will need to change the screen settings either through the PC-BSD display manager (on next login), a utility for your particular video card (such as the NVIDIA settings tool), or modifying the X configuration directly.

• グレェ
    September 14, 2014 at 7:43 am |

Hmm, I tried setting it via the Display Wizard via grub, via the Display Manger as outlined here: and looking at /etc/X11/xorg.conf it appears correct, the resolution works with KDE, but Lumina seems stuck at 800×600 still.

Here is a link to my xorg.conf for reference, it is not a big deal, but it would be nice to have it work at my LCD’s native resolution. ^_^

Thanks for the response and great work!

• Suvro
    September 14, 2014 at 10:19 am |

Ken, thanks – I finally installed 10.0.3, and this version came w/ it. The new look is certainly better, and also, this time, both Workspaces do appear the first time around. Another bug that seems to have gone away – previously, under Office, only Calligra would show, but now, if I right-click on the desktop and go to Office, I get the whole list – Calligra Author, Calligra Words, Calligra Sheets, et al. So far, very happy with this!!!

• Lizbeth
    September 22, 2014 at 12:00 am |

Seems all the rage. Wish there were a few screen shots to gawk at

• Lizbeth