PC-BSD 10.1-RC1 Released

The PC-BSD team is pleased to announce the availability of RC1 images for the upcoming PC-BSD 10.1 release.

PC-BSD Notable Changes

* KDE 4.14.2
* GNOME 3.12.2
* Cinnamon 2.2.16
* Chromium 38.0.2125.104_1
* Firefox 33.0
* NVIDIA Driver 340.24
* Lumina desktop 0.7.0-beta
* Pkg 1.3.8_3
* New AppCafe HTML5 web/remote interface, for both desktop / server usage
* New CD-sized text-installer ISO files for TrueOS / server deployments
* New Centos 6.5 Linux emulation base
* New HostAP mode for Wifi GUI utilities
* Misc bug fixes and other stability improvements

Along with our traditional PC-BSD DVD ISO image, we have also created a CD-sized ISO image of TrueOS, our server edition.

This is a text-based installer which includes FreeBSD 10.0-Release under the hood. It includes the following features:

* ZFS on Root installation
* Boot-Environment support
* Command-Line versions of PC-BSD utilities, such as Warden, Life-Preserver and more.
* Support for full-disk (GELI) encryption without an unencrypted /boot partition

A testing update is available for 10.0.3 users to upgrade to 10.1-RC1. To apply this update, do the following:

edit: /usr/local/share/pcbsd/pc-updatemanager/conf/sysupdate.conf (As root)

Change “PATCHSET: updates”

“PATCHSET: test-updates”

% sudo pc-updatemanager check

This should show you a new “Update system to 10.1-RELEASE” patch available. To install run the following:

% sudo pc-updatemanager install 10.1-update-10152014-10

As with any major system upgrade, please backup important data  and files beforehand!!!

This update will automatically reboot your system several times during the various upgrade phases, please expect it to take between 30-60 minutes.

Getting media

10.1-RC1 DVD/USB media can be downloaded from here via HTTP or Torrent.

Reporting Bugs

Found a bug in 10.1? Please report it (with as much detail as possible) to our bugs database.

Written by dru. Posted in 10.1, testers

• October 25, 2014 at 12:02 pm |

[…] der offziellen Ankündigung zu dem Release von PC-BSD 10.1-RC1 im Blog der Distribution gibt es dann noch weitere Informationen […]

• October 25, 2014 at 12:31 pm |

[…] have also created a CD-sized ISO image of TrueOS, our server edition.” Read the rest of the release announcementfor more details and upgrade instructions. Download: PCBSD10.0-RELEASE-p1-x64-DVD-USB.iso (3,481MB, […]

• Boumali
    October 25, 2014 at 1:00 pm |

I have pcbsd 10.0.3, i do the command of update to 10.1
    but i have
    no update available for pcbsd-10 release
    best regards

• October 27, 2014 at 5:38 am |

Is this still not working for you?

• Boumali
        October 27, 2014 at 12:08 pm |

• October 28, 2014 at 6:56 pm |

I am experiencing the same issue. It says:

No updates available for 10.0-RELEASE!

I would love to test RC1…

• October 29, 2014 at 5:37 am |

What’s your current version of PC-BSD?

• October 29, 2014 at 7:07 am |

10.0.3 Official Release

• October 29, 2014 at 3:43 pm |

Have you found a reason why this doesn’t work? It seems to be people with 10.0.3 that are having the issue.

• November 16, 2014 at 10:19 pm |

Is this still an issue with RC2?

• October 25, 2014 at 2:19 pm |

Flawless upgrade from top to bottom. Thank you very much for your hard work.

• October 27, 2014 at 5:36 am |

Great to hear!

• October 25, 2014 at 5:11 pm |

[…] have also created a CD-sized ISO image of TrueOS, our server edition.” Read the rest of the release announcement for more details and upgrade instructions. Download: PCBSD10.1-RC1-10-22-2014-x64-DVD-USB.iso […]

• Suvro
    October 25, 2014 at 8:16 pm |

Does AppCafe crash less now in 10.1 than it currently does?

• October 27, 2014 at 5:36 am |

Let us know after you update. If not, please post your hardware specs.

• Suvro
        October 31, 2014 at 3:54 pm |

Will do. My hardware specs – a Dell Inspiron 17 i.e. an Intel i7, 8GB of RAM, 1 TB of hard disk

• October 25, 2014 at 9:32 pm |

Wacom driver not working on Tablet PC Motion Computing J3400.

• Lopez
    October 27, 2014 at 12:16 am |

Could you inform me, whether grub-slice-option already works?
    It is about this bug:

• October 27, 2014 at 5:26 am |

Not sure. If it doesn’t, please create a bug report at bugs.pcbsd.org.

• Lopez
      October 27, 2014 at 7:19 am |

I asked you about it as I cannot afford to lose again time installing another release that cannot be booted in multi-boot-system without doing time-consuming workaround. Workaround in this case means installing the system in Virtualbox first in order to get correct configuration of the grub.cfg. I hope for your understanding and I am looking forward to reading whether grub-slice-option already works. Thank you in advance.

• October 27, 2014 at 8:23 am |

Since the original forum poster did not make a bug report (that I’m aware of), it is unclear whether or not the dev is aware to fix the issue. If it is still an issue, someone with that scenario needs to create a bug report so that they can test the fix.

• Robert
    October 27, 2014 at 10:14 am |

I see that PC-BSD 10.1 has the new Firefox 33.0. Will it, using Update Manager, upgrade the Firefox 27.0 installed by AppCafe in PC-BSD 10.0?

I updated the system and packages to 10.0.3 some time ago, but I didn’t notice any changes such as I seen that Package Manager has other/more content e.g. FireFox and Thunderbird. I have them installed from AppCafe and I hope I won’t have to reinstall the system to get the new version.

• October 28, 2014 at 12:49 pm |

• Robert
        October 28, 2014 at 7:31 pm |

youtube.comyoutube.comThanks. But I think I’ll wait for the final release before I update since I’m not a developer.
        However, I was just watching this “The PC-BSD Tour” on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qS2ymCWBF0 (from about 20.20) and I notice that the AppCafe looks very different from my version which has much fewer options e.g. only the “File” and “Configure” menus at the top.

The version shown in the video is 10.0.2, I have 10.0.3, but the basic install is 10.0. Is that the reason? And will also that be updated with 10.1 by Update Manager?

• October 29, 2014 at 6:01 am |

Interesting. Can you post a screenshot of what your AppCafe looks like? Also, what is the “Version” displayed in Control Panel -> About?

• Robert
            October 29, 2014 at 6:43 am |

OK, where shall I post it? If you send me an e-mail (you find it in my post) I can return it with the screenshots.

• Kevin Bowling
    October 27, 2014 at 1:49 pm |

My system reboots/(crashes? don;t see any output) during upgrade during or right after installing kernel:
    Upgrading packages…
    Pruning: /usr/local/share/xsessions/[0-9a-zA-Z]*.desktop
    Extracting ports overlay data…DONE
    compat.linux.osrelease: 2.6.18 -> 2.6.18
    Fetching FreeBSD upgrade files…
    Installing 10.1-RELEASE kernel…

• October 28, 2014 at 12:46 pm |

Which version are you upgrading from? What are the hardware specs? How much of the filesystem is still FREE (from zpool list)?

• Kevin Bowling
        October 28, 2014 at 1:21 pm |

FreeBSD phx8-kev 10.0-RELEASE-p18 FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p18 #0: Wed Oct 22 14:21:47 UTC 2014 root@amd64-builder.pcbsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

core i5-2400, Radeon HD 5450

tank 230G 56.9G 173G 24% 1.00x ONLINE –

I tried switching to ‘init 1’ and doing it via the command line thinking it might be X/kms crashing but no luck there either, silent reboot.

• October 28, 2014 at 1:23 pm |

Thanks. Please include that info in a bug report at bugs.pcbsd.org and post the issue number here. That way a dev can look at it and issue a fix/workaround.

• Boumali
    October 28, 2014 at 1:55 am |

Finally, i have installed the pcbsd-10.1rc1 but
    the cinnamon plant, and i don’t know why
    best regards

• October 28, 2014 at 12:39 pm |

That didn’t make sense in English. What is the issue with Cinnamon and GNOME? Is the video card capable of 3d acceleration? These are the 2 desktop environments which require 3d acceleraton.

• Boumali
        October 28, 2014 at 12:52 pm |

I have cinnamon 2.2 and gnome3.12

• October 28, 2014 at 1:03 pm |

The version doesn’t matter. Whether or not the video card supports 3d acceleration does.

• Boumali
    October 28, 2014 at 2:48 am |

also the gnome desktop has the same problem as cinnamon
    best regards

• francesco
    October 28, 2014 at 4:52 am |

TP-LINK TL-WN821N doesn’t work 🙁

• Ken
    November 1, 2014 at 11:35 am |

Hi Dru

10.1 seems very smooth and stable. Of course the RC-1 has many features that are not yet connected, such as Audio controls, Widgets & the DeskTop seems a little disjointed etc etc. I remembered on 10.0 that these features were gradually phased in, so no worries.

The 10.03-to-10.1 upgrade worked perfectly (on a AMD-64 quad Core). It did wipe my files out, however I was pre-warned.

I noticed that Free Pascal is not yet properly added to the App-Cafe. I download Lazarus and it reports
    “where is the FPC compiler”. In the App Cafe, there are some strange sub-file type references for FPC – but no FPC base-core file seems present. This didn’t change in 10.1 – this was the same in 10.03, also.

I am using KDE.

* *

• November 3, 2014 at 4:01 pm |

Are these still issues in RC2 or have they been resolved?

• Ken
        November 5, 2014 at 9:41 am |

I ran the above upgrade from RC-1 to RC-2 and it said that that version “10.1-update-10152014–10” cannot be found. So the upgrade never proceeded.

Under “ABOUT”, it shows the System version to be “10.1-RELEASE-P6”.

Is that RC-2 ?

Because elsewhere it says “System Updated”.

* *

• November 6, 2014 at 4:24 pm |

Yes that is RC2. So that Freebsd-Update works, we name all the RCs as -RELEASE-pX, which is confusing, but makes it so you don’t have to
          do full-system upgrades between RCs.

• Ken
            November 7, 2014 at 1:14 am |

So it must have auto-updated somehow. I don’t think I ever got to completing the update scripts shown.

Basically, its running fast and smooth === > nice !

Issues that make for fruitful bug-crushing :

1) The FPC “missing-files” issue remains, although Lazarus sets itself up great. Lazarus says ” where’s your compiler ? ”

2) Okular “self-collects” – i.e., it won’t disappear at any shutdown. Each issuance returns at the next boot.

Gradually, I get every past .pdf opening and more than 42 occurences of Okular building up, at current count, after boot.

3) Volume and Internet controls are not functioning yet.

Volume needs to be loaded from AppCafe but its not working in the widget system.

4) Widgets act strangely.

After trying to do Widgets the screen appearance changed – bizarre.

I suspect that this is something that will be bought under control for the Full Release, as was true with 10.0.3. – – –

Using KDE !

Thanks for bringing this Jewel up to its very usable and pleasant working state 🙂

* * *

• November 16, 2014 at 10:16 pm |

If any of these issues still exist after updating to RC2, please create a bug report (one for each issue) at bugs.pcbsd.org.