PC-BSD 10.1-RELEASE Now Available

The PC-BSD team is pleased to announce the availability of PC-BSD 10.1 release!

A very special thank you goes out to all the contributors for this release, your help and feedback was greatly appreciated!

PC-BSD 10.1 Highlights

* KDE 4.14.2
* GNOME 3.12.2
* Cinnamon 2.2.16
* Chromium 38.0.2125.104_1
* Firefox 33.1
* NVIDIA Driver 340.24
* Lumina desktop 0.7.1-beta
* Pkg 1.3.8_3
* New AppCafe HTML5 web/remote interface, for both desktop / server usage
* New CD-sized text-installer ISO files for TrueOS / server deployments
* New Centos 6.6 Linux emulation base
* New HostAP mode for Wifi GUI utilities
* UEFI support for boot and installation
* Automatic tuning of ZFS memory usage at install time
* Support for full-disk (GELI) encryption without an unencrypted /boot partition (Also on mirror/raidz setups!)
* New VirtualBox / VMware / RAW disk images of desktop / server installations

For a more complete list of changes, please check our wiki page.

Along with our traditional PC-BSD DVD ISO image, we have also created a CD-sized ISO image of TrueOS, our server edition.

This is a text-based installer which includes FreeBSD 10.1-Release under the hood. It includes the following features:

* ZFS on Root installation
* Boot-Environment support
* Command-Line versions of PC-BSD utilities, such as Warden, Life-Preserver and more.
* Support for enabling the AppCafe web-interface for remote usage out of box
* Support for full-disk (GELI) encryption without an unencrypted /boot partition  (Also on mirror/raidz setups!)

WARNING: As with any upgrade, please ensure you have backups of all important data beforehand!

Users running 10.0-RELEASE can now update to 10.1 via the online updater GUI, or via the ‘pc-updatemanager’ command as detailed here.

Users running previous RC’s of 10.1 can also update using the following commands:

# freebsd-update fetch
# freebsd-update install
(With a possible second “freebsd-update install”, if the utility requests it)

# pkg update -f
# pkg upgrade -f

Getting media

10.1-RELEASE DVD/USB/VMs can be downloaded from this URL via HTTP or Torrent.

Reporting Bugs

Found a bug in 10.1? Please report it (with as much detail as possible) to our bugs database.

Written by dru. Posted in 10.1

• November 17, 2014 at 1:13 am |

Solid! Thank you all for the hard work you guys put into PC-BSD! 😀

• November 17, 2014 at 2:37 am |

You’re welcome!

• Groot
      November 18, 2014 at 12:51 am |

I haven’t done a fresh install of 10.1, but I will mostly because after the update via the GUI update manager, my password doesn’t work and I can’t get into any of my files. I tried doing it on another computer and it looks like 10.1 doesn’t like upper case. My username KingKahn, doesn’t accept my password after the update on my PC, but on my laptop it’s kingkhan, and it accepts my password after the update. Oh well, I’ll see if I have better look with a fresh install. Thanks for all the hard work guys, but why was PFS disabled on this new update?

• November 18, 2014 at 10:38 pm |

PEFS was just removed from the base system as the maintainer has not yet merged it into FreeBSD. However, you can install the kmod-pefs package to continue using PEFS. Regarding your password, did you change it somewhere along the way? At this time, there is no easy way to tell PEFS about a changed password…

• Groot
          November 19, 2014 at 1:53 am |

Thanks for the quick response Dru,but unfortunately I did not change the password, it was the same one, I have been using all month, on both my PC, and My laptop, but I’m not complaining my sound is now working on 10.1 which makes me happy. My sound didn’t work on 10.0.3, so I don’t mind doing the re-install and losing my encrypted files, at least I have sound and that was worth it. Once again thank you for this Dru

• Suvro
    November 17, 2014 at 2:21 am |

Okay, just upgraded my system to 10.1. It took a while – better advised as an overnight exercise.

I have one question about UEFI. I currently have UEFI disabled to allow PC-BSD to boot, since UEFI only recognized Windows 8, which I had deleted. Now, if I re-enable UEFI, will it boot my PC-BSD 10.1 system? What exactly does UEFI support mean?

I’ll report here any changes I see in the OS.

• November 17, 2014 at 2:32 am |

Unfortunately, taking advantage of either UEFI or GELI requires a fresh install:

• Suvro
        November 17, 2014 at 6:21 am |

I looked in the handbook but didn’t find this: question about backups: do we manually copy everything in /home/ to an USB drive, or is there an automatic way of saving both data and current configurations to the USB drive using one of the available utilities of PC-BSD?

I’ll stick to the UEFI disabled if it’s the former

• November 17, 2014 at 11:02 am |

I think I would make the call depending on why you want the UEFI support. The only real benefit I can think of is GUID support in UEFI, and as far as I know the only advantage to GUID support are for massively large hard drive partitions. I could be wrong, but that has been my understanding.

I run with UEFI disabled on one machine and with it enabled on another, and so far I feel that it is inconsequential both on the desktop and for a small business server. (I’m not working in a data center).

• Krystin
            November 20, 2014 at 4:54 am |

Because Windows 8 and OS X uses UEFI and GUID partitions. I need install it on one of the partitions.

• taxman
        November 21, 2014 at 8:54 pm |

i have 10.0 installed using GELI.
        do i need fresh install to upgrade to 10.1?
        Or it needed only if 10.0 not used GELI?

• November 23, 2014 at 10:58 pm |

The fresh install is only needed to go from non-GELI to GELI. So, you should not need to reinstall.

• taxman
            November 23, 2014 at 11:31 pm |

Thank you!
            I tried yesterday to upgrade. All pakages was upgraded successfuly.
            But system after reboot seems loads than blinks some fast disapearing message than ‘Rebooting’..
            So i was forced to rollback. Used GUI update manager.
            Next weekend will try to upgrade by CLI

• November 24, 2014 at 11:23 pm |

Let us know what luck you have with it.

• Tony P
                November 25, 2014 at 3:44 am |

Same problem here. Just upgraded from 10.0 to 10.1 (64bit) and get the usual boot messages, up to Loading local file system, then message about Ethernet, then Rebooting.
                Can, sometimes, get it to boot by selecting (pressing Enter) at the first Grub screen and then selecting something other than the default/normal boot from the second Grub screen.
                When I do this, and get KDE loaded, I check the Update manager and it tells me that Patch 1of1 is available. But loading this, after a while, causes a shutdown and reboot (no “We need to reboot to complete this change” type of message, just a shutdown – with messages stating that the reboot was caused by my user. And the reboot behaves the same as before (ie doesn’t work properly – see above).
                Hope this helps with the debug.

• December 1, 2014 at 8:49 am |

Please create a bug report at and post the issue number here.

November 17, 2014 at 5:59 am |

Thanks a lot everyone! 🙂

• […] Доступен релиз десктоп-ориентированной операционной системы PC-BSD 10.1, основанной на кодовой базе FreeBSD 10.1. В качестве пользовательского окружения по умолчанию предлагается KDE 4.14.2, но в комплекте также доступны окружения Lumina, GNOME3, Mate (форк GNOME 2), Cinnamon, LXDE и Xfce. Развитие PC-BSD курирует компания iXsystems, которая активно участвует в развитии FreeBSD, например, способствует улучшению поддержки ZFS и спонсирует многие инициативы FreeBSD Foundation. […]

• November 17, 2014 at 7:44 am |

Sounds great! Just one question. Will I need to back up e-mails and addressbook content in Thunderbird and bookmarks in Firefox?

• November 17, 2014 at 8:52 am |

You shouldn’t have to but it never hurts to be over-cautious and backup the stuff you’d really miss…

• November 17, 2014 at 11:51 am |

Thanks. Bud sadly the update have to wait a little since my second drive (where I plan to back up everything) is offline after a smaller or larger (don’t know yet) disk or even system disaster. If the system is bad as well I will have to reinstall everything which means many many hours of sour work.

• November 17, 2014 at 10:21 am |

[…] VMware and RAW disk images of desktop and server installations.” Read the rest of the release announcement for more information and upgrade instructions. Download: […]

• anon
    November 17, 2014 at 11:21 am |

Where is live-cd(usb) or DVD-USB.iso can work as live-cd?

• November 17, 2014 at 12:09 pm |

We currently do not provide live images.

• digian
        December 7, 2014 at 4:09 am |

Any plans on a 10.1 live usb edition ?
        Really interested but i’ve no suitable partitions…

• December 10, 2014 at 8:58 am |

Nope as we currently don’t have the resources to do this.

• November 17, 2014 at 1:37 pm |

• Geoff
    November 17, 2014 at 1:41 pm |

Faultless update using graphical update manager. Fixed my SpiderOak problem. Really happy. Congratulations and appreciation for your work.

• November 17, 2014 at 9:24 pm |

• November 17, 2014 at 3:27 pm |

[…] de détails sur PC-BSD / TrueOS 10.1 peuvent être consultés via Téléchargement. Source: […]

• vt
    November 17, 2014 at 7:51 pm |

Did a fresh and clean install with 10.1 (used to run 10.03), only to face the frustrating fact that the “missing working directory” bug with LXDE desktop icons is still there.
    Is this your way to tell folks to switch to other desktop environments?
    I guess I will switch the OS, because I filed a bug report weeks ago, collected and provided info, asked what I can provide more and the case was closed regardless of all that. I was told to “reopen” it if the issue doesn’t go away. There is no way to “reopen” a bug in your redmine, at least for normal users.
    Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the good work you’re doing, and I would understand if sources need to be focused. Just be honest with users and tell that some (and which) software setups are rather unsupported, please.
    Thank you.

• […] Moore ogłosił wydanie PC-BSD 10.1. Dodano KDE SC 4.14.2, GNOME 3.12.2, Cinnamon 2.2.16, Chromium 38, Firefox 33.1, nVidia Linux […]

• November 17, 2014 at 10:53 pm |

[…] Informację o wydaniu przeczytasz także na stronie projektu. […]

• […] PC-BSD 10.1-RELEASE Now Available […]

• November 18, 2014 at 12:22 pm |

[…] the rest of the release announcement for more information and upgrade […]

• […] 10.1 is out, and along with it PC-BSD 10.1. Cool new goodies include (preliminary) UEFI support on AMD64 and OpenSSL 1.0.1j, which is […]

• AJSB
    November 19, 2014 at 3:01 am |

Can you tell us if the new Linux compatibility base now also works with Steam Linux client ?

• November 19, 2014 at 3:05 am |

AFAIK, noone has tried yet. If you do, please start a thread on the forums describing what luck you did/didn’t have with it.

• AJSB
        November 19, 2014 at 4:00 am |

I will next weekend…i actually was to do it last weekend but i took too much hours to download the ISO and lost the chance , however, for this weekend everything is ready 🙂

I have actually two PCs ready for tests but dunno if have time to test both, they also have different graphics, one is in the compatibility list but the other is not listed so, lets see what happens.

Will test as much as possible, graphics, Steam, WINE and BSD native stuff, will then report in foruns.

• LGE
    November 20, 2014 at 7:21 am |

Came here to say that I’m very happy with the *result* of the update to 10.1-RELEASE. Everything runs fine, Opera is running with Flash on the new Linux emulation layer. The update itself was a bit of a pain, I had to resort to the command line, the graphical update would reboot after a while into 10.0.

On the not so good side, Skype 4 cannot connect, and on the console I get some complain about inotify not being implemented. Also, during boot I get no console, just a blank screen. When X is started I get the nice new console in fb mode.

• November 20, 2014 at 10:28 pm |

AFAIK, skype4 is still broken. The blank screen thing is weird, what model of graphics card?

• LGE
        November 23, 2014 at 5:44 pm |

Hi Dru. The graphic cards is an integrated Intel chipset, nothing fancy. As I said, the upgrade process wasn’t exactly smoothly, so I was thinking maybe some Grub/loader.conf option is missing? Again, after X starts with PCDM the console is there in nice fb mode when I switch back with alt+f1, f2, etc. but during boot I’m “blind”.

• LGE
          November 29, 2014 at 1:58 pm |

Just for info, I changed the configuration in loader.conf.pcbsd adding hw.vga.textmode=1 and now I get textmode while booting, and the nice fb console when X starts. Good enough for me.

• December 1, 2014 at 6:57 am |

Thanks for the tip!

• Nyakov
    November 20, 2014 at 10:26 am |

Great. But I expected to see mono and monodevelop in app cafe…

The is something strange going on with repos this days.
    In jail pkg trying to update database from 10.0 repo. I don’t know why.

Also, scan for updates for some reason takes a lot of time a looot of time. 5 minutes and more. Is it designed in this way?
    Also this was the same at 9.0 version.

• November 20, 2014 at 10:25 pm |

For mono, check the box for Raw Packages in Browser View in AppCafe. ails pulling from 10.0 repo sounds like a bug, please report that at

Yeah, scanning for bugs has taken a long time for some time now. I think Kris plans to address this for the next release.

• Warren
    November 22, 2014 at 11:09 am |

Hi all,

Thanks to all for the latest release of PCBSD! A tremendous effort.
    Will the “New Centos 6.6 Linux emulation base” support Dropbox?

• November 23, 2014 at 10:55 pm |

I think dropbox requires inotify, though I may be incorrect. If you try dropbox, let us know what luck you have with it.

• November 25, 2014 at 6:14 pm |

Something is really f****ng up and I don’t know if it’s the 10.1 or my new 120 GB SSD disk that is the piece of crap?
    1’st install try with 10.1 = Error all the way in Disk Manager with some extra tank2 (or something) that is Exported/Faulted and all language settings out the door.
    2’nd install try with 10.1 = Same error plus that the whole activity bar (or whatever it calls at the bottom) and startmenu went all black.
    3’rd install try with 10.0 (thought it maybe would work better with the older installation) = Same error again but now is the system tank2 and the system is slower than ever although I heard that SSD’s should be way faster than normal HDD’s.

However I have two thoughts about this:
    – SSD’s can only withstand one install, after that they’re used up.
    – PC-BSD’s installers formatting system
    leaves much to be desired and doesn’t clean up the last install.

Well, I had all kind of weirdness with the old system where the system took over my second disk (that I have for storage only) in zpool and made it a part of the system and there was no way to undo it. Since I left that disk in machine and was thinking to reformat it to ZFS as soon as I had the new system, it seems to have mixed it self in the installation process although I believe it should have ignored that disk, but oh no!

In that particular case is Windows way better. It has a good formatting system where you can clean out all old crap of the disks and the installer doesn’t care how many disks you have in the computer or how much old garbage there is on them.

Now I’ll try to update the system to 10.1. Will be interesting to see what happens or if it f**ks up the system even more >;-[

Oh yeah, I’m quite p***ed off right now after doing this for the last 10 hours in a row, including removing the disks and cleaning them in my Windows computer but with the same bad result. There off my thought that the SSD now is used up since it won’t clean out no matter what I do with it. Only way to clean it seems now to boil it *GROWL!* >;-[=]

• November 25, 2014 at 7:05 pm |

“Installation misslyckades:Update system to 10.1-RELEASE ERROR: INSTALLFAILED: 10.1-update-11032014-10”

Why am I not surprised? ;-(

• December 1, 2014 at 8:42 am |

Please create a bug report at so a dev can help assist in determining if this is a hardware issue or something else.

• December 1, 2014 at 4:47 pm |

Pooh! Thanks, but no need. Finally after some anger I got everything running and it runs very smooth and nice, in fact better than ever 🙂
        The error seems to have been that extra zpool that I created by mistake. It raided my second drive and went as deep as the BIOS-memory. So now after I deep-formatted both drives and removed the BIOS-battery so everything got reset it came out working perfect and I can conclude that 10.1 is a great improvement that runs smoother, faster and more stable and my new SSD drive makes it even better.

So the moral of it all… A lot of noise and anger for for nothing. But I guess you know how it is. I don’t know why computers can get you go totally nuts? 😉

I’m just online again and haven’t restored everything yet, but that should be the easy part.
        The only mechanic thing left is to connect the second drive and then try to get it formatted to ZFS, but VERY careful, everything else is a big no-no!

I realized that formatting to ZFS isn’t as easy as NTFS-formatting a drive in Windows disk-utility, so some help how that is done as simple as possible would be gratefully accepted. No raid, no mirror, no nothing, I just want that drive as a simple internal storage drive in ZFS to safely store files that can “talk” to the system (NTFS isn’t safe storage in PC-BSD and all files can’t be opened from it). I plan to have the SSD as a system drive only and the HDD as storage.

• December 2, 2014 at 5:07 am |

Glad to hear it!

• DonWon
    November 25, 2014 at 11:09 pm |

We all know now that FreeBSD doesn’t play well with GPT on many harddisks. So, can we have an installer for UFS with full disk encryption?
    That shouldn’t be a difficult thing to incorporate into PCBSD Installer.

I’m saying this because ZFS with Full Disk Encryption needs GPT and GPT totally fails to boot on ST2000DM001-9YN164 Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 64MB Cache SATA

Please consider this.

Thanks for the new release.

• November 26, 2014 at 11:53 am |

This might be an older BIOS or some odd setting that is expecting UEFI mode on GPT. Try setting the BIOS to UEFI only, and then do the install to GPT again as some systems require this. If this doesn’t fix it, please create a bug report at so we can track down the cause and fix.

• DonWon
    November 27, 2014 at 1:21 am |

Dear Dr. Dru, Do you mean no CSM. No Legacy. Only Secure Boot. Right ?

I think this was the first thing I had tried.. Anyways I have managed to manually install using MBR UFS full-disk-encryption but I have another similar hard-disk.. so I might try your advice.

Thanks. You are very helpful.

• David
    November 27, 2014 at 2:17 pm |

This is what I get every time, since last week:

pc-updatemanager install 10.1-update-11032014-10
    DOWNLOADING: 10.1-update-11032014-10
    /usr/local/tmp/10.1-update-11032014.txz 100% of 3916 B 1537 kBps 00m00s
    DOWNLOADFINISHED: 10.1-update-11032014-10
    Creating new boot-environment…
    GRUB configuration updated successfully
    Created successfully
    Pruning old boot-environments…
    Removing Boot Environment: beforeUpdate-2014-11-20_21-29-25
    Checking for package updates…

And here it stops endlessly… till I close the window. I have tried it first with the GUI and then from a terminal. The result is the same. The rest of the packages are up to date, but it is still 10.0-release.
    Any ideas? Thanks.

• December 1, 2014 at 8:17 am |

Which version does “uname -a” indicate? Which version are you updating from?

• hsw
    November 29, 2014 at 8:28 pm |

Just failed to update to 10.1.
    The update program ran for a long time and there was no aparent disk activity, so I clock close and it closed with no messages. Machine was very sluggist at this point and to showed a process “zenity” using 100% CPU.
    After a reboot still on 10.0, but updater says fully updated. Appcafe fails with cannot open /usr/local/share/pcbsd/scripts/
    I tried to creat a new boot environment from an older snapshot for a retry but this resulted in an unusable system, failing on boot with the following:

internal error: failed to initialize ZFS library

I just found out why, during the boot environment changes I had reamed default to defaultFailed an created a new one called default the new default had mountpoint=/ and canmount=on so it was always mounting onto / no matter which environment I chose.
    I had to set canmount=noauto and mountpoint=/mnt on it to be able to boot again.

I will try to make copies of older environments and see if it possible to retry the update.

• hsw
      November 30, 2014 at 1:00 am | copies of BE, renamed all remaining to prevent them from being deleted. Rebooted and used AppCafe to upgrade packages. Made a copy of this BE and rebooted into it.

After boot AppCafe reports missing – used /usr/local/sbin/pkg to force update, clean
      -a and install -f all installed pcbsd-* and pkg itself; also extract desktop overlay.

Now on 10.0p19, but updater icon has error indicator, message:
      “make sure you have working internet connection”

Run update manager (also top in an xterm)
      select the patch to 10.1 (hover shows size as 1MbMB) then install selected updates.
      Small PC-BSD Update window opens and proceeds through the following steps:
      1. checking for package updates
      2. updating packages (top shows zenity 50..80% CPU)
      3. fetching FreeBSD update files (top shows zenity 100% and CPU fans not at maximum)

There are also 11 defunct process and the lifepreserver tray is also at 100% CPU.
      There is port 80 traffic to (seems to be

After about 10 minutes there is a spontaneous reboot; i.e. display just black then BIOS messages appear.

Reboots again just afte Ethernet up message, there is another message, but it gets cleared too quickly to read.

Started again in single user: zfs mount -a; exit
      Desktop started, still at 10.0p19.

REPEAT the update: and the same update steps appeared and CPU fans at full speed.
      at around 45 minutes into the “fetching FreeBSD update files”. there disk activity about every 5 sec and port 80 traffic.

Spontaneous reboot at 49 minute mark, saw a message, something about “3rd phase reboot”, let the reboots happen until desktop reappears.

Still at 10.0p19 🙁 I will try command line update next to see if there are any diagnostics.

• hsw
      November 30, 2014 at 3:16 am |

Log captured from command line run: of pc-updatemanager install 10.1-update-11032014-10 |& tee pcu.log
      DOWNLOADING: 10.1-update-11032014-10
      /usr/local/tmp/10.1-update-11032014.txz 0 B 0 Bps
      DOWNLOADFINISHED: 10.1-update-11032014-10
      Creating new boot-environment…
      GRUB configuration updated successfully
      Created successfully
      Pruning old boot-environments…
      Checking for package updates…
      Creating new boot-environment…
      GRUB configuration updated successfully
      Created successfully
      Pruning old boot-environments…
      Removing conflicting lang/gcc
      Checking integrity… done (0 conflicting)
      Deinstallation has been requested for the following 1 packages (of 0 packages in the universe):

Installed packages to be REMOVED:

The operation will free 345 MB.
      [1/1] Deleting gcc-4.8.3_2… done
      Upgrading packages…
      Pruning: /usr/local/share/xsessions/[0-9a-zA-Z]*.desktop
      Extracting ports overlay data…DONE
      compat.linux.osrelease: 2.6.18 -> 2.6.18
      Fetching FreeBSD upgrade files…
      Installing 10.1-RELEASE kernel…

REBOOT here, not sure if any messages lost

• hsw
        November 30, 2014 at 3:59 am |

Try with freebsd-update:

# freebsd-update –non-interactive -r 10.1-RELEASE upgrade |& tee update.log
        Looking up mirrors… none found.
        Fetching metadata signature for 10.0-RELEASE from… done.
        Fetching metadata index… done.
        Fetching 1 metadata patches. done.
        Applying metadata patches… done.
        Fetching 1 metadata files… gunzip: (stdin): unexpected end of file
        metadata is corrupt.

Is this a bad file on the server or just the connection times out?

• qwb
    December 6, 2014 at 6:53 am |

PC-BSD manages the DesktopBSD system? Of being like that, because they do not update the ISO Image of the system support? DesktopBSD is a very good system and has architecture for 32-bit computers.

• December 8, 2014 at 6:20 am |

No, Desktopbsd is a separate open source project.

• December 15, 2014 at 12:54 am |

[…] ◆2014/11/16 デスクトップ向けBSD OS「PC-BSD 10.1」リリース […]

• February 2, 2015 at 6:51 am |

Thanks to all for the latest release of PCBSD