PC-BSD 10.1.2-RC1 Now Available

The PC-BSD team is pleased to announce the availability of RC1 images for the upcoming quarterly 10.1.2 release.

Please test these images out and report any issues found on our bug tracker.

PC-BSD 10.1.2 Notable Changes

• New PersonaCrypt Utility allows moving all of users $HOME directory to an encrypted USB Drive. This drive can be connected at login, and used across different systems
  • Stealth Mode allows login to a blank $HOME directory, which is encrypted with a one-time GELI key. This $HOME directory is then discarded at logout, or rendered unreadable after a reboot
  • Tor mode switches the firewall to running transparent proxy, blocking all traffic except what is routed through Tor
  • Migrated to IPFW firewall for enabling VIMAGE in 10.2
  • Added sound configuration via the first boot utility
  • Support for encrypted iSCSI backups via Life-Preserver, including support for bare-metal restores via installer media
  • New HTML handbook, updated via normal package updates
  • Media Center support allowing direct login to Kodi and PlexHomeTheater for the 10ft user experience
  • Switch to new AppCafe interface, with remote support via web-browser
  • Improvements to Online Updater, along with GRUB nested menus for Boot-Environments
  • Migrate all ports to using LibreSSL instead of OpenSSL
  • Switch from NTP to OpenNTPD
  • Lumina desktop 0.8.4
  • Chromium 42.0.2311.90
  • Firefox 37.0.2
  • NVIDIA Driver 346.47
  • Pkg 1.5.1

Users currently running the EDGE package repo can now update their packages via the updater GUI or “pc-updatemanager” utility to be brought up to date with RC1.

Updates for users on the 10.1.1 / PRODUCTION repo will be available once 10.1.2-RELEASE is announced.

Getting media

10.1.2-RC1 DVD/USB media can be downloaded from here via HTTP or Torrent.

Reporting Bugs
Found a bug in 10.1.2? Please report it (with as much detail as possible) to our bugs database.

Written by dru. Posted in 10.1, new features, testers

May 1, 2015 at 7:14 am |

Cool, those security enhancements are particularly interesting, and the other enhancements are awesome too, Thanks everyone! 🙂

• […] for enabling VIMAGE in 10.2…” More information is provided in the project’s release announcement. Downloads: PCBSD10.1.2-RC1-04-30-2015-x64-DVD-USB.iso (4,048MB,SHA256, torrent, […]

• Jake
    May 1, 2015 at 1:30 pm |

Never used Pcbsd yet. But I love what you all are bringing to the scene. Thank you

• jadecat09
    May 1, 2015 at 2:26 pm |

Fantastic news. Only for the brave pioneers!

• JohnnyK
      May 5, 2015 at 10:37 am |

jadecato9, It has been my experience that PCBSD/freebsd betas are more stable than Micro$oft Windows 3 year old Finals. Grant it I am not suggesting running the beta’s on customer facing production machines but for developers and hobbyist these beta and RC builds are great and allows the developers a larger list of machines to test on which in turn makes for a more sound production release. So I wouldn’t discourage anyone from at least trying this build and report any issues. Like I said you may not want it in client facing production situations yet unless your replacing Windows.

• jadecat09
        May 6, 2015 at 12:57 am |

You are absolutely right.
        All I am saying is that anyone using edge is a ‘pioneer’.

• […] 更多内容请看发行说明。Downloads: PCBSD10.1.2-RC1-04-30-2015-x64-DVD-USB.iso (4,048MB,SHA256, torrent, pkglist)。 […]

• Datil
    May 1, 2015 at 7:39 pm |

Great features! Can any one recommend a laptop that runs PC-BSD with reliable WiFi and suspend? The wiki pages in the subject seem pretty outdated.

• Ken Moore
      May 3, 2015 at 8:47 am |

Datil » I highly recommend a Lenovo Thinkpad (400 series) for a FreeBSD laptop. Everything on my little T420 “just works”, and I have heard from others that most of the Thinkpad models work really well. Just be careful with the brand-new models (500 series) because some of them require the Intel Haswell support in order to work properly and this hardware support has not yet been added to the FreeBSD-Current (11.x) sources yet, although it is supposed to be very soon.

• Suvro
        May 14, 2015 at 6:12 pm |

I really hope it works this time. To date, my laptop setup w/ BSD is perfect except for this one thing.

Another question. I recently upgraded to this version, and enabled UEFI, but I can’t enable Secure Boot – it just refuses to recognize my partition. Any way around this?

• Suvro
          May 14, 2015 at 6:13 pm |

Sorry, above comment was to have been in response to the iwn driver post below

• jadecat09
      May 6, 2015 at 1:11 am |

I can recommend a Hewlett Packard 15-P076SA.
      It is not going to set the world on fire – Intel i3 4030u (1.9GHz) CPU, 8GB DDR3L RAM, 1TB HDD, DL DVD-RW, Realtek audio, Atheros wireless that works, Gigabit ethernet (my preference).
      After disabling MS uefi and secure boot. PC-BSD loaded with no problems and works flawlessly. Oh yes, suspend works fine.
      Got tghis machine as a great refurb deal from PC World (UK).

• Derick Thomas
    May 2, 2015 at 4:17 am |

Any chance of enabling Intel Wifi support in the default kernel installation?

• Ken Moore
      May 3, 2015 at 8:42 am |

Derick Thomas » The iwn driver has been enabled in PC-BSD for quite a long time. If your particular wifi chipset is not fully supported by this driver on 10.x, then perhaps our monthly images based on FreeBSD-Current (which will eventually become 11.x) are a better fit for you.

• […] PC-BSD 10.1.2 RC1 is out. […]

• […] distributions around. The latest version, 10.1.2, is in the works, and PC-BSD development team just announced that the first Release Candidate (RC) version is now available for download and […]

• Datil
    May 4, 2015 at 6:38 pm |

Thank you for the suggestion. I will give a Thinkpad a shot. I appreciate your taking the time to help.

• qrious
    May 8, 2015 at 2:46 am |

I’m deeply impressed. Thanks a lot for your efforts.
    Will those of us running 10.1.1 updating to 10.1.2 have access to all of the described new features?

• Ken Moore
      May 8, 2015 at 4:48 am |

qrious » Yes, once 10.1.2 is officially released all those currently running 10.1.1 will automatically get upgraded to the new version (unless you have turned off automatic updating, in which case you will need to start the update procedures via the update manager).

• Suvro
        May 14, 2015 at 6:21 pm |

Ken, one thing I’m getting: I have automatic update set up, and I see the OS update available flag in the north east corner of the screen (using Lumina). Problem is that after each install and update, I still get that flag like something is incomplete. After one is done installing every update and updating every security patch, shouldn’t that show green, or neutral? Is it just my laptop stalling on the updates, or something else?