Aug

PC-BSD 10.2-RELEASE Now Available

The PC-BSD team is pleased to announce the availability of 10.2-RELEASE!

A very special thanks to all the developers, QA, and documentation teams for helping to make this release possible.

PC-BSD 10.2 Notable Changes

• FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE base system
  • Many bugfixes and enhancements to installer to dual-boot setups
  • New CD-sized network installation media, with Wifi Configuration via GUI
  • Switched to “iocage” for jail management backend
  • Disk Manager GUI now available via installer GUI
  • Bug-fixes and improvements to Life-Preserver replications
  • Improved localization options for login manager
  • Options to Enable / Disable SSHD or IPv6 at installation
  • New “Plugins” system for AppCafe, allowing download of pre-built jail environments
  • Improvements to look-n-feel of AppCafe for package management
  • Improved fonts and better support for 4K monitor setups
  • Enterprise package repo, which only has security updates, allowing users to run a server / desktop or jail with fairly consistent package versions.
  • Firefox 40.0_1,1
  • Chromium 44.0.2403.130
  • Thunderbird 38.1.0
  • Lumina 0.8.6
  • GNOME 3.16.2

Updating

Users currently running 10.1-RELEASE can now update their system via the updater GUI or “pc-updatemanager” utility to be upgraded to 10.2-RELEASE.

Getting Media

10.2-RELEASE media (Including VM’s and network installers) can be downloaded from this URL via HTTP or Torrent.

Reporting Bugs
Found a bug in 10.2? Please report it (with as much detail as possible) to our bugs database.

Errata

We have discovered an issue on systems originally installed with PC-BSD 10.2-PRERELEASE images,
which can cause problems when trying to use freebsd-update after 08/20/2015. The main symptom of
this error is dropping to a shell prompt at boot, with errors about ‘linprocfs’. If you have experienced this,
then we have a hot-fix script now available which will bring your system up to the 10.2-RELEASE world/kernel that freebsd-update will work properly with.

NOTE: This bug only impacts systems which ran the old 10.2-PRERELEASE image. DO NOT apply this hot-fix if your system has already updated properly to 10.2-RELEASE-p4 or later. You can check by running ‘freebsd-version’.

To apply the Hot-Fix:
1) Download scrip from: http://www.pcbsd.org/~kris/pcbsd-102-hotfix-20150821.sh.
2) Run script as root: sudo sh pcbsd-102-hotfix-20150821.sh .
3) Reboot system and make sure you return to the same boot environment you were just in – just in case you already had a BE waiting for you to reboot.
4) Run the normal pc-updatemanager routines (graphical or CLI) to update the system and automatically creates a new boot environment.
5) Reboot into the new BE when prompted.

Written by dru. Posted in 10.2

• nydn
    August 21, 2015 at 9:00 am |

Thanks for the great work! Already upgraded!

• Peter2015
    August 21, 2015 at 10:33 am |

Thank you very much!

I’m currently rsync-ing the package repo for 10.X to update isolated machines.
    Is there a way to do this not only for pkg but for freebsd-update too?

Also, can you please bundle Firefox-ESR on the install iso-usb image? This would make things easier (assuming same default browser setting integration as with Firefox).

Firefox-ESR is way easier to maintain, especially in privacy matters! (One of many references: http://news.slashdot.org/story/15/08/14/2321202/how-to-quash-firefoxs-silent-requests
    –> no announcement of this “FEATURE”)

• bsd_k
    August 21, 2015 at 3:10 pm |

. . .
    [1313/1314] Deleting files for zip-3.0_1: ………. done
    Error 2: chroot /.updateStage /.freebsd-up.sh -r 10.2-RELEASE upgrade

and “Unable to determine system status” icon showing.

It hangs with the wrong package counter number, for my last package (It should be 1314/1314), for maybe 10 minutes, then gives that Error 2. During the hang, the phttpget process is running, with a couple percent cpu.
    I rebooted, then got that ‘packages need updating’ icon. I ran that update, which appeared to finish successfully, and rebooted. Then my ‘About’ Showed the pc-bsd version to be at 10.2-RELEASE, but the FreeBSD version to be at 10.1-RELEASE-p27. After a few minutes I got the message to update to get the FreeBSD update. I started that (which apparently NEEDS to delete and reinstall all my packages AGAIN), Then it hangs AGAIN, like the first time.
    Unfortunately it has been par for the course for system version updates to not work, here. -with standard, fast, good hardware, and and a very fast/reliable internet connection.

• bsd_k
      August 21, 2015 at 3:58 pm |

I tried the FreeBSD update, from an earlier Boot Environment (the one where the Chromium package hadn’t yet gotten the update which broke it). But I got the same thing, just with apparently fewer packages on my system (even though I don’t recall installing any new ones, in that couple days after).

[1368/1369] Deleting files for zsh-5.0.7_3… done
      Error 2: chroot /.updateStage /.freebsd-up.sh -r 10.2-RELEASE upgrade

• sasha
        August 22, 2015 at 2:58 am |

same problem

• August 22, 2015 at 6:24 am |

Error 2: chroot /.updateStage /.freebsd-up.sh -r 10.2-RELEASE upgrade

– includes a link to a bug report.

• giorgio
          August 29, 2015 at 4:34 am |

same problem, updating is always challenging task

• giorgio
            August 30, 2015 at 1:09 am |

Updating via the command line worked it out, second trial went quite smooth

• bsd_k
      August 25, 2015 at 8:26 am |

So I had previously perused the forums, and bug reports. They either seemed have the wrong error number or branch, or indicated they were resolved (which this clearly wasn’t).
      But I just decided to give the command line a try, which seemed to work for a poster here: https://forums.pcbsd.org/thread-20160.html (Also referenced by Graham, here.). This, ultimately, seemed to work.
      sudo -i (just so I don’t have to keep doing sudo)
      pc-updatemanger install fbsd-10.2-RELEASE

I didn’t see any ‘Creating BE’ messages, as with the Update Manager GUI, so I went into Boot Manager and manually created a boot environment (BE) snapshot, while packages were still downloading.

It errored out when it couldn’t download the inkscape package. I ran it again. It took at least an hour to get through everything (despite my being on a reliable 80 Mbps connection). When I returned to my computer, the next day, I got the ‘reboot to finish updates’ dialog. During the reboot, it stayed in console and went through ‘stage two’, where it unpacked, and installed packages for maybe 20 minutes. Then it rebooted, but seemed to abort, without reason, long before the kde started. It rebooted, but this time made it all the way up. When I logged in, the background for my left monitor (same model as the right one, but different background image) had green flickering flecks on it. I set the monitor setup to start at next reboot, and noticed I had system security updates. I started those (not set to automatic because I now don’t trust automatic updates to be stable). After those installed, I rebooted. When my system came back up I accepted the automatically configured monitor settings. My left monitor wallpaper was fine, now. So I don’t know if the wallpaper issue fixed itself, with just the reboot, or if the updates or running the config utility did. But my system seems to have BOTH the FreeBSD and PC-BSD updates, this time. I went in and deleted unnecessary and known unstable BEs.
      Also, the same Chromium update version which wouldn’t start before, now starts on the updated system.
      Just to add a positive: Thank you guys for using ZFS and incorporating Boot Environment support into PC-BSD!

• […] a server edition of PC-BSD called TrueOS. Further information is available in the project’s release announcement. Download (pkglist): PCBSD10.2-RELEASE-08-19-2015-x64-DVD-USB.iso (4,178MB, SHA256, torrent), […]

• August 21, 2015 at 11:46 pm |

open-source-feed.comA small release feed is added here.

Thanks & Regards

pkg: cached package trousers-tddl-0.3.10_7: size mismatch, fetching from remote
    Fetching trousers-tddl-0.3.10_7.txz… done
    pkg: cached package trousers-tddl-0.3.10_7: size mismatch, cannot continue
    Verifying / fetching packages for devel/gmake – gmake-4.1_2.txz
    The following packages will be fetched:

New packages to be FETCHED:
    gmake-4.1_2 (100.00% of 363 KiB: 363 KiB)

The process will require 363 KiB more space.
    363 KiB to be downloaded.
    pkg: http://pkg.cdn.pcbsd.org/10.0-RELEASE/amd64/All/gmake-4.1_2.txz: Not Found
    ***** /tmp/.pkgUpdateLog.92216
    Starting syscache…
    ERROR: Failed fetching: devel/gmake
    =======================

• […] stavo arrivando. Dal blog di PC-BSD, vi riporto la lista dei cambiamenti […]

• […] PC-BSD 10.2 is out. […]

• sverbeeck
    August 22, 2015 at 6:47 am |

How am i supposed to do the wifi netinstall when it requires firmware and a modified boot file?

• August 22, 2015 at 7:43 am |

[…] Informację o wydaniu przeczytasz także na stronie projektu. […]

• Ben
    August 22, 2015 at 7:47 am |

Setting up PC-BSD in a VM now to test it out. Really like the list of features.

• bittin
    August 23, 2015 at 5:44 am |

yay nice also swedish Lumina L10n by me 🙂

• August 23, 2015 at 5:15 pm |

Nice that there are more Swedes using PC-BSD 🙂
      When I talk about PC-BSD or even BSD in general here, most people has no clue what I’m talking about.
      Linux is known, but this is not Linux, this is better IMO.

• August 23, 2015 at 6:56 am |

Is it possible to update directly from installation media? If yes, how?

• Crovax
    August 23, 2015 at 9:38 am |

Doesn’t work:
    Starting the update results in:
    =====
    [fetching a lot of files]
    pkg: cached package xsetroot-1.1.1: size mismatch, fetching from remote
    Fetching xsetroot-1.1.1.txz: . done
    pkg: cached package xsetroot-1.1.1: size mismatch, cannot continue
    Verifying / fetching packages for archivers/unzip – unzip-6.0_6.txz
    The following packages will be fetched:

New packages to be FETCHED:
    unzip-6.0_6 (100.00% of 131 KiB: 131 KiB)

The process will require 131 KiB more space.
    131 KiB to be downloaded.
    Fetching unzip-6.0_6.txz: ………. done
    pkg: cached package unzip-6.0_6: size mismatch, fetching from remote
    Fetching unzip-6.0_6.txz: ………. done
    pkg: cached package unzip-6.0_6: size mismatch, cannot continue
    ***** /tmp/.pkgUpdateLog.13755
    Starting syscache…
    ERROR: Failed fetching: archivers/unzip
    =====
    Already tried ‘pkg update -f’, didn’t work.

• August 24, 2015 at 5:52 pm |

Please see the following topic:

Size mismatches and/or checksum failures in attempts to upgrade from 10.1.2 to 10.2

A key point from post 6:
      “refrain from running pkg upgrade …”

• Crovax
        August 25, 2015 at 12:21 am |

I tried again yesterday. This time the update fetched all files and continued until it hit the ‘Error2: chroot’ error mentioned in previous posts. I then started pc-updatemanager in the shell and it continued and completed the update. Now everything went fine.
        Afterwards I had to clean up the zfs snapshots since they had increased to 25 GB in size.
        Next time I will ignore the ‘upgrade available’ messages and wait a week or two before trying an this 😎
        And I won’t use the update manager GUI for the next update.

• August 25, 2015 at 2:02 am |

pcbsd.org> … I won’t use the update manager GUI …

As https://bugs.pcbsd.org/issues/11087 is prioritised as critical, with ‘10.2 – RELEASE’ as the target, I assume that there’ll be suitable emphasis on enhancements and fixes to the GUI. http://www.pcbsd.org/ “… user friendly …” and so on.

Whilst I understand the current reluctance to rely upon the GUI, the GUI should become the most reliable norm.

If you revisit https://forums.pcbsd.org/thread-20157.html you’ll find a link to a bug report, with two key points from a very recent discussion in IRC. Let’s allow some time (for sleep etc.) to the people who contributed to the fix; and then I’ll await an explanation of the underlying edge case. My guess is that there’ll be a blog post on the subject.

In the meantime I’ll try to find out whether a comparable problem affected users of FreeBSD.

• Suvro
          August 25, 2015 at 7:02 am |

I’ve been getting pretty similar errors for a while now – last bug report submitted was this one 11025: https://bugs.pcbsd.org/issues/11025 Also, now Chromium has stopped working.

On a separate issue, whenever I use Lumina, whereas previously I got the top bar, now I get nothing and have to go through the long right-click and applications to fire up Firefox or Thunderbird. As mentioned, Chromium does not start up.

• […] Announcement […]

• August 23, 2015 at 5:34 pm |

For some reason, the system is not automatically updating but just sitting and idling saying “update available” and waiting for me to click “start updates” although I have it set to default “security & updates”.

I think I’ll wait until the coming weekdays and next time I boot up the computer to see what happens also since I read here that some people had some problems. To be safe I’ll make a backup before updating.

Anyway, I think you guys at PC-BSD are doing a great job. Best regards!

• zERo
    August 23, 2015 at 8:10 pm |

Guys it’s cool what you’re doing.
    I am an engineer from Russia, use PSBSD version 9.
    Thank you very much! Your product is very promising. Fonts super. Please do not stop the development of the project under any circumstances.

• […] się PC-BSD 10.2, które zostało oparte na systemie FreeBSD 10.2. Prócz zmian, które pojawiły we FreeBSD, […]

• Maugervilleboy
    August 25, 2015 at 6:29 am |

System will not boot.
    I installed PCBSD 10 Joule 64 twice, and both times it will not boot. Grub loader begins, and loads several lines of text, than stops.

• August 25, 2015 at 12:17 pm |

First, I used the Boot Manager in PC-BSD Control Panel to remove all boot environments except the one being used, then used pc-updatemanager as root from the terminal to do the updates. Everything appeared to be working as it should. Rebooted twice. System now shows FreeBSD base as 10.2-RELEASE-p4 and PC-BSD as 10.2-RELEASE up. I’m happy. YMMV.

• KR3DX
    August 25, 2015 at 3:16 pm |

Great stuff ! I have been using PC-BSD since version 9.1 and it gets better all the time. It’s the best OS there is, in my opinion. However, I have to vent my frustration about a couple of things. I’ll keep my comments civil, but it would be easy to flame with a lot of profanities because every upgrade causes a lot of re-work that shouldn’t be necessary. I use the MATE desktop and every new version of PC-BSD breaks at least a couple of things on my DE. My system monitor disappeared from my tray. My application windows have a different appearance because the “Fog” theme is no longer installed on my system. Also, can you eliminate the built-in references to specific applications, such as the “auto-play optical disks with SMPlayer” defaults? I have VLC on my system and I shouldn’t have to un-check something that I don’t want to use. If I wanted to be coerced into using the apps that the programmers are trying to shove down my throat, I’d be using that proprietary OS that about 85% of the world uses. When upgrading a pre-existing system, ALL of the choices that the USER of the system has made should be retained. This would be a HUGE step forward for PC-BSD gaining more market share among OSs. This includes updating programs like the web browser, you can indicate that an update is available, but don’t make it happen automatically with the update of PC-BSD. The look and feel of my computer should NOT change with an upgrade. Think about it: the biggest gripe that people have when that popular, proprietary OS is “upgraded”, is the change in the user interface! My last gripe is GRUB. I don’t want GRUB to be aware of the other OSs on my computer. Can we have a option for GRUB to look for the OS only on the drive on which it’s installed? I want to use my BIOS selection to choose my OS. End of rant. With that, I’d like to express my sincere THANK YOU to all of the developers and contributers of PC-BSD. It makes FreeBSD and easy to install and easy to use OS for the masses. A few minor tweaks and it could be a perfect desktop OS for the corporate and home environment.

• […] report that a System Upgrade was in progress).  I Googled the matter and ran into this and then this, which seemed to indicate this is a fairly widespread problem. According to the note left by Kris […]

• August 26, 2015 at 11:59 pm |

• root
    August 29, 2015 at 11:06 am |

What would be good is Linux binary compatible version of chrome (with updated flash) easily installed. Maybe it is already ? 🙂

• user
    September 4, 2015 at 6:30 pm |

I tried it out and I did like it very much!
    The only no-go is the deeply tied in Adobe Flash Player, what is unacceptable for someone who cares about security and privacy …
    So if BSD for me, then FreeBSD

• N
      October 30, 2015 at 11:31 am |

Couldn’t agree more on the flash comment. Very disappointing.