ITwire.com just published a new interview with Kris! Check it out at the link below!
Hey Everyone! The new version of PC-BSD is out. There are lots of improved features so check out the release notes below!
The PC-BSD team is pleased to announce the availability of 10.1.1-RELEASE!
Changes since RC2
* Fixed an issue using auto-login in PCDM and setting incorrect locale
* Fixed a bug in user-manager allowing the deletion of the current user
* Updated GRUB to include i18n files
* Fixed an issue with invalid GPT options being displayed when
installing to a specific partition
* Updated GRUB to better auto-detect other disk-drives to chainload via
the boot menu
* Fixed various bugs in external media mounting
Changes since RC1
* Disabled some diskid / gptid labels from installer
* Updated HandBook with additions for 10.1.1
* Fixes to Lumina desktop default settings
* Disabled the lock functionality in AppCafe
* Fixed an issue with VirtualBox modules not being loaded after install
* Updated some man pages for pbi_* commands
* Fixes to how ISO / memory disks are mounted via Mount Tray
* Fixes to Mount Tray for mounting exFAT partitions with write access
* Fixed an issue with UEFI USB media not loading GRUB correctly
* Removed pc-soundconfig utility, functionality has been merged into
PC-BSD 10.1.1 notable Changes
* Brand new system updater which supports automatic background updating
of the system
* Many improvements to boot-environments and GRUB support for a wider
variety of setups
* Support for installation to a specific GPT partition and GPT
* Conversion to Qt5 for all desktop utilities
* Fixes to using dtrace when booted from GRUB
* Re-write of Mount Tray utility, improves mounting of external media
* Support for full-disk encryption (without an unencrypted /boot) using
* More packages available for installation from DVD/USB/CD images via
* New OVA files for virtual machines
* Misc bugfixes and improvements to utilities
* GNOME 3.14.1
* Cinnamon 2.4.2
* Lumina desktop 0.8.1
* Chromium 39.0.2171.95
* Firefox 35.0
* NVIDIA Driver 340.65
* Pkg 1.4.4
10.1.1-RELEASE DVD/USB media can be downloaded from the following URL via
HTTP or Torrent.
Users running on 10.1-RELEASE can now update to 10.1.1 via the normal
package updating mechanisms.
If the update cannot complete, such as when excessive pkg conflicts
exist, it is possible to grab the new PC-BSD updater from git and use
it. To do so, use the following instructions.
# pkg update -f
# pkg upgrade -f ports-mgmt/pkg
# pkg update -f
# pkg install -f grub2-pcbsd
# git clone –depth=1 -b releng/10.1.1 https://github.com/pcbsd/pcbsd.git
# cd pcbsd/src-sh/libsh
# make install
# cd ../pcbsd-utils/pc-updatemanager
# make install
# pc-updatemanager pkgupdate
Found a bug in 10.1.1? Please report it (with as much detail as
possible) to our bugs database.
The PC-BSD team is happy to announce we’ve put the finishing touches on the new Update GUI. Users on edge will be able to download and test out the new update GUI with their next update. The new Update GUI will also enable automatic updates which will happen at boot up or every 24 hours. You will also be able to choose what parts of your system you want to update (i.e. Packages, Security, etc.). If you have any questions, concerns, or to report a bug, please feel free to create a bug report on bugs.pcbsd.org so we can quickly get back to you and help troubleshoot the issue.
Kris has made the update to 10.1 live on the servers. To upgrade to 10.1 you can simply open the update GUI and start the update from there. You will notice the update takes a little longer to complete, but the good news is it runs in the background and there are no unexpected resets :).
If you are on the EDGE repo you most likely have the newest broken version of pkg which will need to be fixed before upgrading. To fix pkg:
% pkg install -f pkg
After that you should be in business. Please send us your feedback and / or any questions!