The first Qt5-based version of the Lumina desktop environment has just been released!
The source code for this release is available in the Lumina repository on GitHub, the FreeBSD port has been updated, and the new package is getting pushed out to the PC-BSD “Edge” repository here in the next couple days. Version 0.8.0 is mainly just an update to all the backend systems, but there are a few notable changes:
Updates for version 0.8.0:
- Uses Qt5 (tested with 5.2) instead of Qt4. This also brings in a new dependency on the XCB libraries.
- Uses the new QMultimedia framework instead of Phonon for playing multimedia files. This has much better results when playing audio/video files through the Insight file manager.
- New built-in single application framework for the Lumina project (no more external dependency for this, and it works on all OS’s).
- New task manager mode (no groups). This reproduces the traditional task manager functionality of one button per window, and it lists the window title for each button. For ease-of-use, this mode is treated as a distinct/new panel plugin through the Lumina configuration utility.
- The task manager “action” menu (right-click) now has many more options that are auto-generated based on the current window state.
- The lumina-open crash reporter for applications now provides details about the crash from the application (if any are available).
- New windows will no longer appear with the titlebar underneath a Lumina panel.
- Command-line inputs with special localized characters are now properly used.
- Large clean-up of recursive file operations in the file manager. (Better reporting and error detection, add ability to copy a directory into itself, make sure no files are missed during recursive operations).
- Detect when running in a VirtualBox VM (if OS is FreeBSD) and hide the screen brightness controls since these do not work in a VM.
- Clean up how the special “Exec=” field codes are handled for XDG desktop shortcuts (fixes the issues with starting various KDE applications like Okular).
- Various other small bugs fixed.
As always, please test it out and submit any bugs or feature requests through the PC-BSD bug tracker.
Kris has made the update to 10.1 live on the servers. To upgrade to 10.1 you can simply open the update GUI and start the update from there. You will notice the update takes a little longer to complete, but the good news is it runs in the background and there are no unexpected resets :).
If you are on the EDGE repo you most likely have the newest broken version of pkg which will need to be fixed before upgrading. To fix pkg:
% pkg install –f pkg
After that you should be in business. Please send us your feedback and / or any questions!
10.1 New Update Manager Backend — Call for Testers">10.1 New Update Manager Backend — Call for Testers
Hey testers a new beta update is available to upgrade your systems from 10.x to 10.1. The beta instructions have been sent out to the PC-BSD Testing e-mail list if you would like to participate in the testing. For more information you can email me @ email@example.com or sign up for the testing mailing list @ http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/testing.
Hey everyone the PC-BSD 10.1 update will be removed temporarily while we work some magic on the backend of the update manager. Our expectation at the moment is to have the update back up within one week, but keep in mind that is just an estimate as we start this project.
Thanks so much!
The next version of the Lumina desktop environment has just been tagged in source! PC-BSD users on the “Edge” package repository should expect to see an updated package available in the next couple days. Please test it out and file bug reports or feature requests as necessary on the PC-BSD bug tracker.
What has changed in this version:
- Streamline the startup process and Lumina utilities, with many of the utilities now being multi-threaded.
- Enable login/logout chimes (can be disabled in the lumina-config session settings)
- New Desktop Plugins:
- Note Pad: Take text notes on your desktop
- Desktop View: Auto-generate icons for everything in the ~/Desktop folder
- New Utility: “lumina-search“
- Quickly search for and run applications/files/directories
- Registered on the system applications menu under “Utilities -> Lumina Search”
- For new Lumina users, this utility is set to automatically run with the “Alt-F2” keyboard shortcut
- New Color Schemes:
- Lumina-[Green, Gold, Purple, Red, Glass] now available out of box (default: Glass)
- New backend system for registering default applications:
- Uses mime-types instead of extensions now
- All lumina utilities have been updated to work with the new system
- WARNING: Previously registered defaults might not be transferred to the new system, so you may need to re-set your default web browser/email client through lumina-config after updating to the new version.
- Miscellaneous bug fixes and minor improvements
Hey guys check out our video on KDEConnect in PC-BSD on YouTube! It’s an awesome new app that allows you to receive text messages, phone notifications, incoming calls notifications, media remote control, and more!