The next PC-BSD 9-CURRENT snapshot is now available for download.
This snapshot includes a lot of fixes and changes, notably:
- Overhauled Life-Preserver backup utility
- Fixes to AppCafe browser navigation
- Improvements to system installer pages, such as disk / user setup
- Improved tray notifier for available updates
- New “Welcome” program to introduce new users to PC-BSD
- Wifi tool automatically loaded in tray
- New beastie splash menu which allows booting from failsafe kernel
- Improvements for IPv6 support in base / utilities
- Misc bugfixes reported by users from last snapshot
As usual, please test and report bugs any problems back to the testing mailing list.
Kris has written an article “Installing FreeBSD with pc-sysinstall” which has been published on pages 26-28 in the June issue of BSD Mag. You can download that issue for free from here. From the introduction:
Several months ago, the PC-SYSINSTALL system (the installer for PC-BSD 8.0 and higher) was merged into FreeBSD CURRENT, in preparation for FreeBSD 9.0. This installer is primarily a backend, but it can also be used stand-alone for multiple scripted or single installations of FreeBSD. In this article we will take a look at how to use PC-SYSINSTALL, as well as various configuration options to take advantage of FreeBSD features which currently cannot be used via the default installer.
Kris has just announced that the next testing snapshot is available. Some of the changes will be of interest to MythTV and multiple window manager users:
The next snapshot for PC-BSD 9-CURRENT is now available for download.
Snapshot instructions and general information on providing testing feedback are available here.
This snapshot includes the following changes:
- Update to Control-panel allows it to detect the current window manager and display the configuration tools provided by that desktop environment. Included is a CLI de-info script to get current desktop as well as a list of all installed desktop environments. Thanks to Yuri Momotiuk for this cool feature.
- Added several new MythTV plugins and related ports as well as an icon for MythTV initial setup. We’re looking for MythTV users to test these changes and help with documenting MythTV usage in the Handbook.
- Fixed some typos in pbi-manager man pages.
- Corrected some incorrect wallpaper re-sizing on the installer.
- Updated nvidia driver to 270.41.06 which adds support for several GPUs.
- Fixed nvidia driver not loading kernel module at boot.
- Allow user mounting of mmcsd(4) MMC and SD memory cards.
- Added uhidd (USB human interface devices) to the base-system.
- Fixes to the network manager for setting up IPv6 gateway / DNS.
- Fixed bugs in the System Manager checking out ports / system source.
- Added patch for pc-sysinstall which improves wiping backup GPT partition tables.
- Fixed issue with optional components, source / ports not being installed from DVD
- Updated the default beastie.4th boot-splash menu to boot quicker, and more easily halt the countdown
Yesterday Kris committed PBI Manager to the FreeBSD ports collection (/ports-mgmt/pbi-manager). This means that you don’t have to wait for PC-BSD 9.0 to be released to try out the new command line suite of PBI tools.
You can find some documentation on the various tools in this section of the PC-BSD 9.0 Handbook. Users are welcome to add to this section to help other users get the most out of PBI Manager.
NOTE: PBI files created for PC-BSD 7.x/8.x (i.e. those available from pbidir.com) will NOT work with PBI Manager as the PBI format has changed for 9.0. You can find the locations of 9 PBIs here.
Kris has announced that the next testing snapshot is available:
The next PC-BSD 9-CURRENT 20110425 snapshot is now available for download.
- Fixed issue launching the handbook icon
- Fixes for using GELI with a passphrase and not key files
- Fixed running the installer via the LIVE DVD / USB images
- Numerous fixes to window-managers, stray icons, missing configurations, etc
- Started adding theme data, such as wallpapers, icons and related configuration
- Still working on some bugs related to loading / using the nvidia binary drivers
- The installer wallpaper may show up with incorrect re-sizing
For answers to common questions, including how to provide feedback, please refer to the snapshot page on the wiki.
The next PC-BSD 9 snapshot is now available for both amd64 and i386.
Kris has created a new Wiki page with details about the snapshots. Please take a look at it before installing any snapshots:
Changes in this snapshot:
- KDE 4.6.2
- Updated the port for gksu and fixed bugs running apps as root
- Many improvements to AppCafe
- Installing PBIs as user now adds binaries to PATH
- Many bug fixes to menu icons / LXDE / KDE4 / Gnome that were reported by testers of the last snapshot
- Using GELI with a password doesn’t create additional key files now
- Installer hides “FreeBSD” option when it isn’t available on the current media
- The handbook desktop link doesn’t work. This is fixed in SVN and will be in the next snapshot.
Please send any bug reports to the testing mailing list.